FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea-faring Adventure Int Check

+5
Mojave Wanderer
Kathryn Lacey
Buzzwulf
Artorius
Gadreille
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sea-faring Adventure Int Check Empty Sea-faring Adventure Int Check

Post by Gadreille Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 pm

So, I've always wanted to do a "Pirate" esque role play, and there has never really been an opportunity to do so. I've put it off for a long time, but since the role plays I am in are running very (VERY) slowly, I thought now would be the time to garner some interest.

The basic premise would be battles in the sea; whether it's pirates against a navy of some sort, or there is more than one group fighting, can be decided later.

Ships would would of the 17th century make, or about so. However, this will not be taking place in History. This will be a made up world.

As for magic, I want there to be "Simple" magic. I don't want random fireballs or resurrection scrolls. I'm thinking more of weatherbreakers (people who calm weather), weathermakers (make winds, rains, stuff like that), perhaps navigation powers, maybe being able to breathe under water...things utilitarian for people who are mostly at sea, or whose job is to be at sea for length of time. If the story leads to land, then powers more acclimated for the land can be used. However, each person only gets one power. Just one.

I definitely want sea monsters, and I'm open for ideas about other mythical sea creatures.

Honestly, this is all I have got so far. Please don't join if you are going to sit around and wait for me to come up with a plot. I want people invested, interested, willing to help out and eager to post. This doesn't mean you have to post super frequently, but I would appreciate if you can get your posts up within a few days.

Please post here if you have any interest in creating a story within this basic set of ideas!

Last edited by Ryona Noel on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Sea-faring Adventure Int Check Empty Re: Sea-faring Adventure Int Check

Post by Artorius Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am

Ryona, sounds super fun, and I'm interested, but I'd need to inform you I'm going on summer vacation so I can definitely keep up for 3 months, but I might slow down after my summer vacation has expired
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 am

Sign me up!

This sounds like something I could really enjoy, but I've got kind of the same problem as Artorius. As a fellow RPer in something thats... a little bit slow at times, it would be really nice to have another project.

Interest is Piqued.

Now where's Danger? This seems right up his alley.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Like I said, I don't need super fast posting, but I just want someone who is determined to finish (i.e., make it a habit to work on your post a little bit everyday, try not to sit for three weeks until you have two days off in a row).

So glad I got some interest Wink I'll leave this up for a while yet (where IS danger? Lol) but if you guys have any awesome ideas for this let me know.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Hm... This seems interesting to me as well. I saw it last night, but I wanted to see if anyone had any decent ideas for it because I suck at creating plots. The only two ideas I have are:

1. The crew could be searching for a treasure trove of sorts only to find a sea monster of sorts guarding it much like a dragon would. We could come up with our own brand of sea monster.

2. They could be just your average pirates who go after booty and, as a result, have the navy on their bums. Maybe they specifically steal from royal ships. Maybe they stumble upon something big when they rob one of the royal ships, something that paints the royalty as something less than divine. Perhaps that's why the royal navy is after them to stop them before they can discover what it means and/or reveal it to the public?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Kathryn, we could even do a mix of both! I really like your second idea though, it adds a bit of spice to the Naval side of the story.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:44 pm

I think the second idea was the better one, too. I like the idea of a combination of the two. It's interesting because the part about the royal ships and royal family like... came to me as I was typing, and it was more interesting than the regular ol', naval officers hate pirates thing.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:50 pm

There is no smiley which drums its fingers together in an evil fashion, so you will just have to imagine it!

My wheels are turning now. In this world I planned for magic to be something that everyone knows is there but doesn't really want to believe in. Or, some things that to us are magical, people would view as everyday happenstance. For example, no one would run around asking for a weatherbreaker, but might keep someone by his side who has had much "luck" in getting through storms...Hopefully you guys get what I mean. People who have an affinity to a power (not everyone in this world does) would hide it and only reveal it if it could get them a job, save their life, something to that effect. Perhaps there are few ancient items that have great magical power, and the Royal family has one or many of them. Now that would be something.

If anyone has read the books The Edge of the World and The Map of All Things by Kevin Anderson, that is where the basic "tone" of this story comes from.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I've never read those books, so the tone would be something for which I'm just going to have to rely on your descriptions.

That does sound cool, though! I imagine - because most people who join this, including me, aren't going to want to be without some ability - that the crew of our pirate ship would probably purposely choose those with abilities to be of use to them. Maybe there would be some people without abilities, but I think the key figures would probably have some talent.

Hm... Maybe the royal family has a treasure trove where they hide these ancient, magical artifacts that they have a sea monster guarding. It would totally tie the two plot ideas together!

EDIT
I even found two pictures of potential ideas for how I could have my look. These pictures would also be a sort of inspiration for how my character would be personality-wise, too: Dark and Deadly or Fair and Mysterious.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojave Wanderer Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Weatherbreaker, weathermaker. Weatherbreaker, weathermaker. Which should I choose? scratch Count me in! Very Happy
Mojave Wanderer
Mojave Wanderer
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

So I just read the Rhime of the Ancient Mariner and I have some ideas. I love the treasure hunting Idea. So I was hinking ithe treasure could be guarded by an undead "ghost ship." Also, in terms of sea monsters, Leviathan, giant squids, and other monsters on an epic scale. And the navy chasing us is a good idea too.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Darn, darn, darn you Ryona!!! I'm alread in 8 RPs and you post this Interest check????

OK...so yeah...I'm in. Even have an old Sailor/Weather Witch character from a very old game I played a while back ready to edit. haha
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Wink

Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:14 pm

^ that means I'm in.

I like whats been mentioned so far. It would be cool if the sea monster could take different forms. Like a huge coy fish, shark, whale, octopus, human, etc, etc.

I'll think on some other ideas and post them later.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Wow, so much interest! You guys can keep posting ideas, and I will compile something and get it up this week Smile I'm going to let this thing get as big as it wants, and if I don't include your idea feel free to hang onto it as a side plot Wink
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 pm

OMG! I found this amazing website that could be incredibly useful to the basic details of this game because it's all about PIRATES! XD

The Pirate King!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Wow, awesome! Feel free to use this resource, though I don't mind a lotta bit of creative flair too Wink
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Well, I did a quick tally of my rps and since I'm sitting at a comfortably low number, I'd be interested if you'd have me, Ryona.

On the subject of sea monsters, I like the idea of a brand new one, and a shapeshifting beastie would be wicked. I'd vote for giant angry super turtle if we go for one form only though. Mouth that can tear through ships, and a shell that shrugs off the strongest of cannon blasts. Truly a beast worthy of facing!
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Of course I'll have you.

I think we should create many types of monsters to face, and with the amount of people currently interested, I think we may have several storylines entangled together instead of just one. We have eight players, and since magic is supposedly scarce and quiet I don't imagine more than two or three magic users per ship. So yea, keep thinking big guys, I'll compile it all and if someone doesn't want to face a giant angry turtle it doesn't mean someone else can't!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:35 pm

SO! I was thinking, bare bones, our quest could be searching for the fabled El Dorado douring the Age of Exploration, if this is on our earth. If not! Then we could be searching for some kind of fabled city which houses untold treasures. Of course, this would involve first finding the map, then finding perhaps an interpreter, so on and so forth. This could open a lot of little quests, focused on reaching a big prize
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Having been a Pirate re-enactor in real life (and not the cheesey Yo-ho sort), I can say that the crew and ship would be damned foolish to brace the royal navy unless they were aprt of a large force of many ships themselves. The Royal Navy might be heavier and slower but carried stupid amounts of fire-power.

HOWEVER! Laden merchant ships with few arms were another matter. A few shots across the bow made them stop and now you have the goods AND a shiny new ship to add to your own fleet.

As for some plot ideas:

1) Recieving a letter of marque (commission to go steal) targeting a particular merchant's fleet and when we do, we learn this particular target is a big bad with serious magical power with seas monsters at his beck and call. The crew then has to run and fight back to stay alive. Perhaps find the seat of his power to grab some focus or such to kill said big-bad.

2) Looking for the Fabled Northwest Passage to encounter a land (or seas) not wholly of this world) Lots of room from freaky monsters and adventures there.

3) Plain old, rip-roaring plunder and sea-faring fights with time on land to spend it all.

That's all I got in my head for the moment.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:07 pm

In-line with fighting the navy, if this is indeed on our earth, then we could be searching for El Dorado, and being chased by the Spanish Navy, which at the time was quite formidable. The English fleets are also plausible
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Ryona Noel wrote:Ships would would of the 17th century make, or about so. However, this will not be taking place in History. This will be a made up world.

The story will not be from our Earth.

Thanks for all the cool ideas, guys. It is going to take some time to compile it into one nice neat plot line, but I am trying my hardest to finish it this week.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm

So, I have an idea.

The world we are in is an area composed of a mainland and several islands, leading to an obvious active sealife. It is a monarchy that rules this area, and there are other lands beyond, but the islands are barricaded by a great reef that is many, many miles off shore. None dare sail there.

A royal ship is lost beyond the reef, and there has been a great panic among the royal family. A great many naval ships have been sent to try and cross the reef and find the missing ship...or its remains.

Other sailors (i.e. merchants & pirates) have heard the call, and are aiming to start up a search of their own...not only do they want to find the missing ship, they must avoid the royal ships and whatever else is out at the reefs (and past it, as our story should take us). The rest we can create as we go.

Edit: This leaves room for much...they can run into any amount of sea monsters, have a couple of battles with the royal ships who are searching for the same thing, perhaps even be fighting amongst each other for the prize...and maybe after they pass the reefs they find much more than what they were looking for (ie fabled lands...new people, etc, etc. The story can be endless!)

What say you?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:39 pm

I really love that idea, Ryona!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojave Wanderer Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:42 pm

I like the idea, but you were a bit unclear as to why we are searching for the ship. I would assume it has treasure, but is there another reason? confused
Mojave Wanderer
Mojave Wanderer
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Yay, two votes Aye!

It could be for treasure, for ransom, for adventure...each character may have their own reason for searching the ship. All anyone knows is that a ship went missing and the royal family is pissed about it...that tells us that there is something important on the ship.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Royal ship could mean other royal family members aboard, a dowry (Treasure), evidence of claims on a new land, tons of stuff.

I definitely like the idea too.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Undisputed Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 pm

If there is room on board, count me in as well! So I'm guessing that with the amount of people, we will be roleplaying on multiple ships? All in the same pirate fleet, or possibly separate, as rivals? I would think rivals would be a little better, since it can allow for some battle roleplaying vs each other if everyone wants to. Maybe even make it kind of a contest, a race to the royal ship, an epic battle over it once/if its found, etc. Lots of prospects. Also, are we adding in any Gods? Possibly elemental Gods, such as Sea God, Wind God, etc. Could possibly be the source of those magical abilities as well.
Undisputed
Undisputed
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:10 am

Of course, Undisputed! Welcome aboard.

We are definitely going to have multiple ships. Whether rivals or not is up to how the story progresses and the characters involved. I don't really want more than two to three characters per ship, as magic is supposed to be rare and I'm sure most all of us want a magic power. There is also the option of playing as part of the royal navy.

Not sure about gods yet; of course people will believe in something, and probably that magic was bestowed upon them by the gods...but I don't think there will be any actual gods (think more realistic religion than fantasy religion, I guess).

Guys, I'll do my best to get the OOC going tomorrow, but no promises!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next