FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP

+4
Kathryn Lacey
Igraine
Spectre
Aesalon
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP Empty Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP

Post by Aesalon Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 am

I've been trying to think this one through for a while because I want to to be something that can be played without being a total Tolkein nerd. (Like me) After much internal debate I have decided to set it in the 3rd Age, so people who have seen the movies, but not read the books will have a chance to have fun with it too. So, here is my thought:
After Elrond sent the Fellowship of the Ring south to find it's way to Mount Doom, representitives of the Free Peoples continued to show up in Rivendell - In an effort to distract Sauron from focusing his attention on finding the Ring, Elrond and the wise planned to send companies out in every direction with different goals that will help foil the plans of the shadow.
I still need to work on specifics - but I thought I should make sure that there are folks who are interested first.

-Aes

Last edited by Aesalon on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP Empty Re: Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP

Post by Spectre Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Hm. i'm pretty interested. I can't promise, but i've definitely got my ears perked now. Smile keep dripping some details ^_^
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP Empty Re: Lord of the Rings / Middle Earth RP

Post by Aesalon Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:57 pm

I was thinking about this a little more - and I have two options that I think would be interesting.

#1: The years before the War of the Ring. (After Bilbo's birthday party, but before Frodo leaves the Shire with the Ring.) Elrond knows that darkness is gathering, and fears that soon the shadow will rise again.
The Elf Lord (Not knowing that the Ring has been found) feels that a final combat is coming and knows that the free peoples do not have the power to stand against the coming shadow. His solution is to send forth adventurers to try and reclaim powerful artifacts of ages past, in hopes that they will hold Sauron at bay for a time.

#2: What If? What if Frodo had failed - The Hobbits were taken by the Witch King as he lead his army from the haunted gates of Minas Morgul. Sauron is reunited with his lost power and there are none who can stand before him - the elven rings become bent to his power leaving Middle Earth adrift in the shadow and the remains of the free peoples scattered to the deep places, hiding and biding thier time, or submitting to the Dark Lord. More details would have to be worked out, but you get the idea...

Opinions? Quesions?
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm

*jumps up and down* Count me in! Count me in!

I don't really have a preference for scenario - it'd be something to think on a bit more...

... after I finish my Red Tide post... >.> <.<
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 pm

I am definitely interested in this. I've almost finished reading The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and soon I'll begin The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. After I read those, I'll watch the movies, but yeah. That's beside the point.

I want in on this. I like both idea, but I like the first idea better. There's still hope in the first idea. The second idea seems really difficult because of the lack of light in it. It's like the world is completely doomed with the Dark Lord in possession of the One Ring.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:04 am

Or we could plan to do them both: after #1 is complete - plan to start the second one with the same characters 10 or 15 years later. (Assuming that the first one goes well.)

I think that I will give it through the weekend to pick up a couple more players (And so I can plan more details.) then I'll put up an OOC and we can start on characters.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:00 am

Sounds like a plan. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:07 am

*waves excitedly** I definitely want in on this! I have to agree with Kathryn Lacey that the first idea sounds more feasible. Questing to find artifacts sounds fun ^_^. And yeah, if Frodo failed, then Middle Earth is pretty much doomed. With even the elven rings bent to Sauron's will, I don't see how the free peoples could even hope to stand up to him. But this sounds fantastic! I'll be watching this budding RP with much interest!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Okay, we have four - even if no more show interest I will start this OOC on Monday! (WooWoo!)
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Rusty is so in!! =DD LOTR for the intense win!!
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://www.sickburnsides.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 am

Almost... Monday... Boogie
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Yay!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:13 pm

I would be interested in joining this role play. I'm a Tolkien freak and I've read all the books (Including The Silmarillion) and I have seen all the movies. And, if you must know, I've collected a lot of LOTR paraphernalia including jewelry, swords, actionfigures, statues...etc.Very Happy

I think the 'what if?' scenario would be so much fun, but it requires some knowledge of the Valar and I'm not sure if anyone else here knows much about that.

Still, I'm game for whatever. Count me in, if you'll have me!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 pm

How on Earth did you get through the Silmarillion?! I tried so hard to read that, but I just couldn't get through it!! *cries*
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Well...I had the help of my husband who had already read it a couple of times and could clean up any parts I did not understand, as well as a bit of extra time on my hands...

I was so proud of myself at having finished it, I told my (then eleven year old) little brother all about it. He decided he was going to pick it up and give it a try...

and poured through it, no problem, no help. -_-

So I'd ask him how he did it.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Yeah, I couldn't get through it either, so my hat's off to you, Ryona! However, I do have a little LOTR paraphernalia (the Evenstar, which my dad gave me for Christmas one year, and an elven cloak).
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:22 pm

That's not even fair! That crazy kid!

I was 12 the first time I tried to read it and 14 the second time and neither time did I manage to wrestle through it.

Oh, it's been two years. I guess I'm due for a third try, soon....
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Ah! A cloak! I want!!!

Yea I would keep trying. I had always wanted to make a website with chapter summaries to help people out...but I gave up on that real quick Laughing
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Hahaha, maybe I can find it somewhere on SparkNotes.

And I'd love some LOTR paraphernalia, but I think my mom is determined to stomp that obsession out of me. xDD As soon as I have the kind of income that will allow it, though, I really want Aragorn's ring.
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Rusty Wings wrote:As soon as I have the kind of income that will allow it, though, I really want Aragorn's ring.

I have that! (wore it on my wedding... Evil Eye shhhh....). And I also want in. Though I would personally prefer the second scenario, I know that it is outvoted already by the first. However, if anyone has any questions concerning anything even distantly related to LOTR/Silmarillion/Hobbit, then I'm your man! I've read the Silmarillion multiple times, some of Christopher Tolkiens books summarizing Tolkiens works, and I've studied every map I could find like my college career depended on it... sadly it doesn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Damn... I really feel out of my element as far as knowledge of Middle Earth goes... I think I'm going to step down from placing myself in this role play.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Why would you do that? Thats what people like me are here for! By joining you can enrich your knowledge of Middle-earth and thereby make yourself a better person Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Luckyyyyy!! It's sooooo prettyyyyyyyy. And the fact that it's Aragorn's helps a lot, too. He's quite pretty, too. *nods*
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Don't go Kathryn, please!

There isn't a test at the end of this RP, and it isn't about having encyclopedic knowledge of LotR lore - it's about writing and having fun in this "world" that we're all going to have a part in developing.

Knowing everything Tolkien-y doesn't make you a "better person" in the end - I just know you're a great and imaginative writer, and I want to RP with you! *clings with hopeful smile*
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:56 pm

mmmmmmmm Aragorn. Have to say I'm a fan of him too.

Silvone, quit showing me up. I had them all oohing and ahhing at my LOTR skills, and here you come and trample on my pride...

Knowing LOTR makes me a better person! lol!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Ryona Noel wrote:mmmmmmmm Aragorn. Have to say I'm a fan of him too.

Silvone, quit showing me up. I had them all oohing and ahhing at my LOTR skills, and here you come and trample on my pride...

Knowing LOTR makes me a better person! lol!

Well, I really love your avatar, if that makes you feel better. ^^ It reminds me of my birthday.
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Yeah, but... the other fandom role play I created is one in which I know like... everything there is to know, and if I don't, it's really easy for me to figure it out by watching the series. It all makes so much sense to me.

The more I think about The Lord of the Rings, the less I feel like I know. I already started creating a character for this, and I realized... I'm clueless aobut like... everything, despite the facts that I'm currently at the end of The Two Towers, and I've already seen the movies. Being an elf for Halloween is definitely not the same as working an Elf ((or any other tLotR race)) character for a role play.

Whenever I create a character, I always feel like I should research the elements that create said character, and it's really hard to find all of the answers to my questions in the most obvious places I think to look for them.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Try the Encyclopedia of Arda website. It has a lot of useful information in it, and it is rather easy to navigate. And beyond knowing that an elf is different than a dwarf, and that orcs are jealous of hobbits' hairy feet, there isn't that much that could be labeled as a "rule" to the format of LOTR. Most of what makes these races what they are in standard form today was derived from what Tolkien created. Elves are graceful, delicate, artistic, lovers of nature. Dwarves are the opposite in nearly every way (except they, too, can work nature, only in different form). I'm sure anything you put down will work in one way or another. So don't worry about it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Actually, dwarves are also very artistic when working with metals and jewels. That much is obvious from just reading The Hobbit, but yeah. They are very opposite other than those two things.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:42 pm

See? You are already correcting Silvone. You are meant for this RP Smile

Just do a little wiki research and ask questions in the OOC and you are good to go. Speaking of, I can't wait for the RP owner to post the details!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next