FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed]

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed] Empty Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed]

Post by Gadreille Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm

This is a pre-planned role play between Kalon, Blackrock, Silvan, Silvone, and myself. Please do not ask to join.

Welcome, Ringer Companions, to the interest check. Instead of constantly PMing you trying to make a decision between the two plot ideas, I thought I would pitch them here, with pros and cons I am aware of, and then see what everyone prefers. After that, I will begin researching the information we will need to begin this role play. The more researchers we have, the more thorough our role play will be! Here are our role play choices:

Option A
The Balchoth and the Rohirrim (year 2510)

Blackrock wrote:The story about the Balchoth and the Rohirrim has to do with the founding of Rohan as a kingdom. This is during the time of Eorl of the Young, first king of Rohan, and Cirion, Steward of Gondor. [Parts I had in mind to read are] from Unfinished Tales are from "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan". This is the time when the province of Calenardhon was given to Eorl's people and it became the Rohan we know from the trilogy. The Oath of Eorl was sworn, marking the formal beginning of the alliance between Rohan and Gondor. The same alliance Theoden honours during the War of the Ring.

Some things to point out about this:

• It is already known what information we need to research.
  • There is not too much depth to the story of this period, which gives more room for creativity.

Option B
Early War of the Ring (year 2957 - 80)

This is my original idea, which would either revolve around or at least mention the time where Aragorn was disguised as Thorongil and fought battles in Rohan and in Gondor. It is a part mentioned in the movies, when Eowyn questions Aragorn riding to war with Thengel, Theoden's grandfather. These are the earlier years of the War of the Ring, when Sauron has only recently reclaimed his power and begun attacking the nearby territories. I don't know much more, or if there is any more information on this subject.

Some things to point out about this:

• So far research is unknown. There may be more to read, may be less.
  • There is excitement in the idea of working with cannon characters, even briefly.
  • Since this is in the time period between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, we would have to be very careful of what we can and cannot write about. There is a lot of history to follow. However, this also gives us a lot of material to work with.

Please tell me what you would prefer, either here or through PM. I don't really want to flip a coin. Additional arguments/opinions are appreciated.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed] Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed]

Post by Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 am

I am not really sure which one I prefer. I like having something to work with, but at the same time that does limit creativity. So, instead of soundly answering, I will list some pro's and con's that I see with both options.

Option A is very rigid in terms of what we can do with the story. However, this opens it up for character development rather than plotline and such. This will make for a great "character" role-play.

Option B is much less rigid, with only minimal passages that even refer to the events taking place. This allows us to manipulate the story in more ways than we could with Option A, but it does take the focus away from the characters themselves since we will have to create the story.

With Option A, since I have the Atlas of Middle-Earth (which describes the numerous battles in great detail with maps ((while not actually canon, still quite accurate)) and dates and summaries), it would be easier to describe and set up battles and not let the story get lost in some uber-epic and unrealistic battle that just completely derails us. But at the same time, more effort might be placed in making sure everything fits right than just simple writing....

I like history, so I automatically go for Option A. But I like the creativity of writing, so I feel it necessary to argue for Option B. Any other opinions?

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed] Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Interest Check [Closed]

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 am

I would be totally fine with either option, so I'll base my decision on RL implications. Option B sounds like a lot of OOC work for you guys, and I guess everyone, because of how closely it ties in to everything. I don't think we're ready to take on a project like that while Silvone's writing, while I'm trying to write, and while Emoria's still going.

Option A seems like it would allow more flexibility. Let's tackle Option B sometime afterward, though. xD

*LIGHTBULB*
If we do Option A first, we can have hereditary characters! xD
It could work in reverse of course, if we do Option B, and it'd be epic either way, but if we do the early one first then we don't have to work backwards.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Blackrock wrote:
I think the decision is actually quite an interesting one. If we go with the Balchoth, Eorl, Cirion and so forth, we know much more about the story itself, the battles and their outcomes; how they influence MIddle-Earth in the following ages. Right, but do we know so much about the...setting itself? Let me explain, for example - what do we know of the social structure of the Rohirrim during that period? Ultimately, what we know is true for the years leading up to and after the War of the Ring. On the other hand, if we go for the battles during Aragorn's and Thengel's time, we know much less about the events themselves, but the culture, political situation, etc. are much clearer as they are closer to the most well-known period of Middle-Earth's history.

I still think both are fully viable, it just depends on what you want to do with it. The war with the Balchoth will, as I said in the other PM, be much grander and provide more opportunity for our characters to simply blend in with the mass of people being involved in it. That is not to say that we can't use the much less known period of Thengel's rule to the same benefit. Again, I think it really boils down to what kind of story you want to tell. Until then, my ideas are simply guesswork at best.

When it comes to characters, I'll most likely be playing one of the Eorlingas. I just adore the Rohirrim, their culture and the part they play in the War of the Ring. Theoden (very epic to name your son that) is probably my favourite character in the books, rivaled only by Fingolfin and Hurin from The Silmarillion. In short, I mostly have the rough outline, I'll just need to know some more details first.

Just wanted to share that from BlackRock.

I think we should do what Kalon said; Start with option A and see where it takes us.

We are officially going to be working with the Balchoth and the Rohirrim of 2510. I will get to work on writing up what information I can for Silvan, and of course the rest of us. If you have a copy of the Unfinished Tales, please read section II of part Three.

Encyclopedia of Arda is also a great resource. I (or silvone) will be typing up the information I have from the Atlas of Middle Earth and scanning the battle sequences marked there sometime today.

I am also typing up sections of Appendicies A and B of the trilogy, Section II of Appendix A labelled The House of Eorl, as well as the first three kings of the Mark, and the timeline of the first half of the third age at least. Suffice to say its going to take me a while to finish, but it will be nice to have it on hand.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Wow, there is a lot of info already, and this is just copying straight out of the books!

I've finished everything but the Unfinished Tales. I will either read it tonight or tomorrow, and write the summary tomorrow. After that, all of the info will go up. I figure we are going to start this role play very near the Balchoth and the Rohirrim of 2510, or are we wanting to begin earlier?

Also, does anyone have inspiring titles for the role play?

Silvone wants to be one of the survivors of the Gondor army whom we help save. I know Blackrock wants to be Rohirrim, and Silvan an Elf. Not yet sure what I am going to be yet, but definitely want to play a female.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am

Whoa, I totally didn't realize this interest check had been up since...Wednesday? Eep! Shocked Sorry I wasn't here for all the deliberation! But I'm totally fine with going for Option A. I'm really excited to work with all of you on this role-play! It looks like it will be epic! Oh yeah, and like Ryona said, I really want to play an elf for this story, most likely a female if it can fit smoothly into the story.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:20 am

Wow...same here, this interest check has been here for days and I totally failed to notice it! Kudos to Ryona for actually pointing me to it, otherwise I would have been left twiddling my thumbs wondering why people were taking so long. scratch

I'll start reading up one those parts you mentioned later today, I definitely could use some polishing on my rusty knowledge. Until then, I'll remain quiet when it comes to ideas and the like, I'd rather come prepared, rather than waste everyone's time with if's and but's.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 am

I'm sure I'll have an idea for the title after I finish the reading. Very Happy
I don't have a copy of Unfinished Tales, but I should be able to find the relevant passages online somehow. Smile
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:44 pm

I suppose I should have messaged you all. ^_^

Would you guys like me to post up what I have now, or wait until I summarize the Unfinished Tales?

Kalon, you'll be looking for Cirion and Eorl and the friendship of Gondor and Rohan, but I recommend not trusting anything that lets others manipulate the text. I found some sites that were not right at all.

I'm less than halfway through reading it, and my mind is successfully boggled. Blackrock, I wonder if you, Silvone and I could tag team this and each summarrize a part of it? Otherwise...this is going to take me a week.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:29 pm

I know for me it'll be easier to read things in smaller chunks than trying to read one massive summary all at once. I'm still acclimating to my new schedule now that I've started teaching on top of taking my graduate classes, so I may be a little sporadic for the next few days.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Yeah, I don't mind Ryona. Just tell me what I need to focus on and I'll try to make it nice, tidy and summed up. As a heads up though, I'm busy tomorrow and on Monday (damn maths...), so I won't be able to properly work then. After that it should be OK.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Blackrock, I am going to have Silvone do (i) The Northmen and the Wainriders.
You can either do part (ii) The Ride of Eorl and (iv) The Tradition of Isildur, or part (iii) Cirion and Eorl. I will leave that up to you. Just let me know so I know which part to focus my efforts on.

Here is the info up so far. The titles state their source. As for the timeline at the bottom, no need to read it immediately. It's more of a point of reference. Some information might be duplicated because it has been taken from different sources, especially when we put up info from the Unfinished Tales.

Appendix A: The House of Eorl

Eorl the Young was lord of the Men of Éothéod. That land lay near the sources of Anduin, between the furthest ranges of the Misty Mountains and the northernmost parts of Mirkwood. The Éothéod had moved to those regions in the days of King Eärnill II from lands in the vales of Anduin between the Carrock and the Gladden, and they were in origin close akin to the Beornings and the men of the west-eaves of the forest. The forefathers of Eorl claimed descent from kings of Rhovanion, whose realm lay beyond Mirkwood before the invasions of the Wainriders, and thus they accounted themselves kinsmen of the kings of Gondor descended from Eldacar. They loved best the plains, and delighted in horses and in all feats of horsemanship, but there were many men in the middle vales of Anduin in those days, and moreover the shadow of Dol Guldur was lengthening; when therefore they heard of the overthrow of the Witch-King, they sought more room in the North, and drove away the remnants of the people of Angmar on the east side of the Mountains. But in the days of Léod, the father of Eorl, they had grown to be a numerous people and were again somewhat straitened in the land of their home.

In the two thousand five hundred and tenth year of the Third Age a new peril threatened Gondor. A great host of wild men from the North-east swept over Rhovanion and coming down out of the Brown-lands crossed the Anduin on rafts. At the same time by chance or design the Orcs (who at that time before the war with the Dwarves were in great strength) made a descent from the Mountains. The invaders overran Calenardhon, and Cirion, Steward of Gondor, sent north for help; for there had been long friendship between the Men of Anduin’s Vale and the people of Gondor. But in the valley of the River men were now few and scattered, and slow to render such aid as they could. At last tidings came to Eorl of the need of Gondor, and late though it seemed, he set out with a great host of riders.

Thus he came to the battle of the Field of celebrant, for that was the name of the green land that lay between Silverlode and Limlight. There the northern army of Gondor was in peril. Defeated in the Wold and cut off from the south, it had been driven across the Limlight, and was then suddenly assailed by the Orc-host that pressed it towards the Anduin. All hope was lost when, unlooked for, the Riders came out of the North and broke upon the rear of the enemy. Then the fortunes of battle were reversed, and the enemy was driven with slaughter over Limlight. Eorl led his men in pursuit, and so great was the fear that went before the horsemen of the North that the invaders of the Wold were also thrown into panic, and the riders hunted them over the plains of Calendardhon.

The people of that region had become few since the Plague, and most of those that remained had been slaughtered by the savage Easterlings. Cirion, therefore, in reward for his aid, gave Calenardhon between Anduin and Isen to Eorl and his people; and they sent north for their wives and children and their goods and settled in that land. They named it anew the Mark of the Riders, and they called themselves the Eorlingas; but in Gondor their land was called Rohan, and its people the Rohirrim (that is, the Horse Lords). Thus Eorl became the first King of the Mark, and he chose for his dwelling a green Hill before the feet of the White Mountains that were the south-wall of his land. There the Rohirrim lived afterwards as free men under their own kings and laws, but in perpetual alliance with Gondor.

Many lords and warriors, and many fair and valiant women, are named in the songs of Rohan that still remember the North. Frumgar, they say, was the name of the chieftain who led his people to Éothéod. Of his son, Fram, they tell that he slew Scatha, the great dragon of Ered Mithrin, and the land had peace from the long-worms afterwards. Thus Fram won great wealth, but was at feud with the Dwarves, who claimed the hoard of Scatha. Fram would not yield them a penny, and sent to them instead the teeth of Scatha made into a necklace, saying: “Jewels such as these you will not match in your treasuries, for they are hard to come by.” Some say that the Dwarves slew Fram for this insult. There was no great love between Éothéod and the Dwarves.

Léod was the name of Eorl’s father. He was a tamer of wild horses; for there were many at that time in the land. He captured a white foal, and it grew quickly to a horse strong, fair and proud. No man could tame it. When Léod dared to mount it, it bore him away, and at last threw him, and Léod’s head struck a rock, and so he died, He was then only two and forty years old, and his son a youth of sixteen.

Eorl vowed that he would avenge his father. He hunted long for the horse, and at last he caught sight of him; and his companions expected that he would try and come within bowshot and kill him. But when they drew near, Eorl stood up and called in a loud voice: “Come hither, Mansbane, and get a new name!” to their wonder the horse looked towards Eorl, and came and stood before him, and Eorl said: “Felaróf I name you. You loved your freedom, and I do not blame you for that. But now you owe me a great weregild, and you shall surrender your freedom to me until your life’s end.”

Then Eorl mounted him, and Felaróf submitted; and Eorl rode him home without brit or bridle; and he rode him in like fashion ever after. The horse understood all that men said, though he would allow no man but Eorl to mount him. It was upon Felaróf that Eorl rode to the Field of Celebrant; for that horse proved as long lived as Men, and so were his descendants. These were the mearas, who would bear no one but the King of the Mark or his sons, until the time of Shadowfax. Men said of them that Béma (whom the Eldar call Oromë) must have brought their sire from West over Sea.

The Atlas of Middle Earth

The Watchful Peace and Its End
(2060-2480)

Gandalf, whom the Elves called Mithrandir, was the first to perceive that the growing evil power in Dol Guldur was Sauron himself. In 2063, Mithrandir went to the Dark Lord’s fortress, and Sauran retreated east -- but it may only have been a feint. The next four centuries were called The Watchful Peace, because the evil was less; but evil had certainly not vanished. Orcs continued to spread. The Dwarves were driven from Moria. Most important, Sauron used the opportunity to gain additional support from Men in the east.

In 2460 Sauron returned to Dol Guldur with his new allies, and once more his thralls were under direct control. His first assault was fifteen years later, in 2475. Uruks from Minas Morgul marched through Ithilien and attacked Osgiliath. Reinforcements must have been rushed from Minas Anor and other nearby areas, for the partially deserted city certainly could not have withstood the onslaught on its own. Boromir I defeated the enemy and drove them back to the mountains; yet Osgiliath fell into final ruin. In the fighting the great bridge was broken and the last citizens fled -- as did many of the inhabitants of Ithilien. Yet the defeat had once more restrained the forces sent by the Nazgul. The Uruks continued guerilla warfare in Ithilien, but there were no more major battles at Osgiliath for over half a century. The cumulative drain of all the harrying attacks from many sides -- east from Mordor and south from Umbar -- reduced Gondor’s striking arm until the country could do little more than defend its own borders. At times it even had difficulty with that. To further disrupt assistance, Orcs spread through the Misty Mountains, blocking passage and harrying those few people who dared to remain near the mountains.

View Battle Strategy Here

The Balcoth and the Rohirrim
(2510)

The next major onslaught came in the north. After the defeat of the Wainriders, when many of the Northmen had left Rhovanion and settled among the folk of Gondor, a new group of Easterlings had taken the lands east of Mirkwood. They were called the Balchoth, and their allegiance was given to Sauron. At first they passed through Mirkwood and raided the Vale of Anduin, until the lands south of the Gladden were deserted. Then they prepared for an assault against Gondor itself.

On numerous rafts the Balchoth crossed the Anduin, passing from the Brown Lands to the Wold. At first there must have been little resistance in the sparsely populated plains of Calenardhon, until the bulk of the troops arrived. The North Army probably counterattacked earliest, and in their fervor had already driven into the Wold and were cut off from the later companies. The Balchoth forced further separation by pushing them north across the Limlight. By chance or command, a band of Orcs descended from the mountains and blocked further retreat, and the Dunedain were backed against the river. In such an hour the Eotheod arrived. Although a summons had been sent to Gondor’s allies before the attack, it had taken long to reach the horsemen in the far north. In haste the host of Eorl had galloped down the east side of Anduin, crossed the river at the Undeeps, and broken on the rear of the attacking Balchoth -- unexpected by friend or foe. Not only did they rout the attackers, but they crossed back into northern Gondor and scattered all the Balchoth in Calendardhon as well.

In reward Gondor gave the Eotheod all the depopulated land of Calenardhon between the Isen and the Anduin. They held the territory as a separate realm, under their own kings. Gondor’s lands once again were shrunken.

Kings of the Mark

2485-2545: Eorl the Young. He was so named because he succeeded his father in youth and remained yellow-haired and ruddy to the end of his days. These were shortened by a renewed attack of the Easterlings. Eorl fell in battle in the Wold, and the first mound was raised. Felaróf was laid there also.

2512-70: Brego. He drove the enemy out of the Wold, and Rohan was not attacked again for many years. In 2569 he completed the great hall of Meduseld. At the feast his son Baldor vowed that he would tread ‘the paths of the dead’ and did not return. Brego died of grief the next year.

2544-2645: Aldor the old. He was Brego’s second son. He became known as the Old, since he lived to a great age, and was king for 75 years. In his time the Rohirrim increased, and drove out or subdued the last of the Dunlendish people that lingered east of Isen. Harrowdale and other mountain valleys were settled. Of the next three kings, little is said, for Rohan had peace and prospered in their time.

Appendix B: The Third Age

2 Isildur plants a seedling of the White tree in Minas Anor. He delivers the South-kingdom to Meneldil. Disaaster of the Gladden Fields; Isildur and his three elder sons are slain.
3 Ohtar brings the shards of Narsil to Imladris.
10 Valandil becomes King of Arnor.
109 Elrond weds daughter of Celeborn.
130 Birth of Elladana nd Elrohir, sons of Elron.
241 Birth of Arwen Undómniel.
420 King Ostoher rebuilds Minas Anor.
490 First invasion of Easterlings.
500 Rómendacil I defeats the Easterlings.
541 Rómendacil I slain in battle.
830 Falastur begins the line of the Ship-kings of Gondor.
861 Death of Eärendur, and division of Arnor.
933 King Eärnil I takes Umbar, which becomes a fortress of Gondor.
936 King Eärnil lost at sea.
1015 King Ciryandil slain in the siege of Umbar.
1050 Hyarmendacil conquers the Harad. Gondor reaches the height of its power. About this time a shadow falls on greenwood, and the men begin to call it Mirkwood. The Periannath are first mentioned in records, with the coming of the Harfoots to Eriador.
c.1100 The Wise (the Istari and the chief Eldar) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgûl.
1149 Reign of Atanar Alcarin begins.
c.1150 The Fallohides enter Eriador. The Stoors come over the Redhorn Pass and move to the Angle, or to Dunland.
c.1300 Evil things begin to multiply again. Orcs increase in the Misty Mountains and attack the Dwarves. The Nazgûl reappear. The chief of these comes north to Angmar. The Periannath migrate westward; many settle at Bree.
1356 King Argeleb I slain in battle with Rhudaur. About this time the Stoors leave the Angle and return to the Wilderland.
1409 The Witch-king of Angmar invades Arnor. King Arveleg I slain. Fornost and Tyrn Gorthad are defended. The Tower of Amon Sûl destroyed.
1432 King Valacar of Gondor dies, and the civil war of the Kin-strife begins.
1437 Burning of Osgiliath and loss of the palantir. Eldacar flees to Rhovanion; his son Ornendil is murdered.
1447 Eldacar returns and drives out the usurper Castamir. Battle of the Crossings of Erui. Siege of Pelargir.
1448 Rebels escape and seize Umbar.
1540 King Aldamir slain in war with the Harad and Corsairs of Umbar.
1551 Hyarmendacil II defeats the Men of Harad.
1601 Many Periannath migrate from Bree, and are granted land beyond Baranduin by Argeleb II.
c.1630 They are joined by Stoors coming up from Dunland.
1634 The Corsairs ravage Pelargir and slay King Minardil.
1636 The Great Plague Devastates Gondor. Death of King Telemnar and his children. The White Tree dies in Minas Anor. The plague spreads north and west, and many parts of Eriador become desolate. Beyond the Baranduin the Periannath survive, but suffer great loss.
1640 King Tarondor removes the Kings House to Minas Anor, and plants a seedling of the White Tree. Osgiliath begins to fall into ruin. Mordor is left unguarded.
1810 King Telumehtar Ubardacil retakes Umbar and drives out the Corsairs.
1851 The attacks of the Wainriders upon Gondor begin.
1856 Gondor loses its eastern territories, and Narmacil II falls in battle.
1899 King Calimehtar defeats the Wainriders on Dagorlad.
1900 Calimehtar builds the White Tower in Minas Anor.
1940 Gondor and Arnor renew communications and form and alliance. Arvedui weds Firiel daughter of Ondoher of Gondor.
1944 Ondoher falls in battle. Eärnil defeats the enemy in South Ithilien. He then wins the Battle of the Camp, and drives Wainriders into the Dead Marshes. Arvedui claims the crown of Gondor.
1945 Eärnil receives the crown.
1974 End of the North-kingdom. The Witch-king overruns Arthedaina nd takes Fornost.
1975 Arvedui drowned in the Bay of Forochel. The palantiri of Annuminas and Amon Sûl are lost. Eärnur brings a fleet to Lindon. The Witch-king defeateda t the Battle of Fornost, and pursued to the Ettenmoors. He vanishes from the North.
1976 Aranarth takes the title of Chieftan of the Dúnedain. The heirlooms of Arnor are given into the keeping of Elrond.
1977 Frumgar leads the Éothéod into the north.
1979 Bucca of the Marish becomes first Thain of the Shire.
1980 The Witch-king comes to Mordor and there gathers the Nazgûl. A Balrog appears in Moria, and slays Durin VI.
1981 Nain I slain. The Dwarves of Lorien flee south. Amroth and Nimodel are lost.
1999 Thráin I comes to Erebor and founds a dwarf-kingdom under the Mountain.
2000 The Nazgul issue from Mordor and besiege Minas Ithil.
2002 Fall of Minas Ithil, afterwards known as Minas Morgul. The palantir is captured.
2043 Eärnur becomes king of Gondor. He is challenged by the Witch-king.
2050 The challenge is renewed. Eanur rides to Minas Morgul and is lost. Mardil becomes the first Ruling Steward.
2060 The power of Dol Guldur grows. The Wise fear that it may be Sauron taking shape again.
2063 Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur. Sauron retreats and hides in the East. The Watchful Peace begins. The Nazgûl remain quiet in Minas Morgul.
2210 Thorin I leaves Erebor, and goes north to the grey mountains, where most of the remnants of Durin’s Folk are now gathering.
2340 Isumbras I becomes thirteenth Thain, and first of the Took line. The Oldbucks occupy the Buckland.
2460 The Watchful Peace ends. Sauron returns with increased strength to Dol Guldur.
2463 The White Council is formed. About this time Déagol the Stoor finds the One Ring, and is murdered by Sméagol.
2470 About this time Smeagol-Gollum hides in the Misty Mountains.
2475 Attack on Gondor renewed. Osgiliath finally ruined, and its stone-bridge broken.
c.2480 Orcs begin to make secret strongholds in the Misty mountains so as to bar all the passes into Eriador. Sauron begins to people Moria with his creatures.
2509 Celebrían, journeying to Lórien, is waylaid in the Redhorn Pass and receives a poisoned wound.
2510 Celebrian departs over Sea. Orcs and Easterlings overrun Calendarhon. Eorl the Young wins the victory of the field of Celebrant. The Rohirrim settle in Calenardhon.
2545 Eorl falls in battle in the Wold.
2569 Brego son Eorl completes the Golden Hall.
2570 Baldor son of Brego enters the Forbidden Door and is lost. About this time Dragons reappear in the far North and begin to afflict the Dwarves.
2589 Dáin I slain by a dragon.
2590 Thrór returns to Erebor. Grór his brother goes to the Iron Hills.
c.2670 Tobold plants ‘pipe-weed’ in the South-farthing.
2683 Isengrim II becomes tenth Thain and begins the excavation of Great Smials.
2698 Ecthelion I rebuilds the White Tower in Minas Tirith.
2740 Orcs renew their invasions of Eriador.
2747 Bandobras Took defeats an Orc-band in the North-farthing.
2758 Rohan attacked from west and east and overrun. Gondor attacked by fleets of the Corsairs. Helm of Rohan takes refuge in Helm’s Deep. Wulf seizes Edoras. 2758-9: The Long Winter follows. Great suffering and loss of life in Eriador and Rohan. Gandalf comes to the aid of the Shire-folk.
2759 Death of Helm. Fréaláf drives out Wulf, and begins second line of Kings of the Mark. Saruman takes up his abode in Isengard.
2770 Smaug the Dragon descends on Erebor. Dale destroyed. Thror escapes with Thrain II and Thorin II.
2790 Thror slain by an Orc in Moria. The Dwarves gather for a war of vengeance. Birth of Gerontius, later known as the Old Took.
2793 The War of the Dwarves and Orcs begins.
2799 Battle of Nanduhirion before the East-gate of Moria. Dain Ironfoot returns to the Iron Hills. Thrain II and his son Thorin wander westwards. They settle in the South of Ered Luin beyond the shire (2802).
2800-64 Orcs from the North trouble Rohan. King Walda slain by them (2861).
2841 Thrain II sets out to revisit Erebor, but is pursued by the servants of Sauron.
2845 Thrain the Dwarf is imprisoned in Dol Guldur, the last of the Seven Rings is taken from him.
2850 Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron, who is gathering all the Rings and seeking for news of the One, and of Isildur’s Heir. He finds Thrain and receives the key of Erebor. Thrain dies in Dol Guldur.
2851 The White council meets. Gandalf urges and attack on Dol Guldur. Saruman overrules him. Saruman begins to search near the Gladden Fields.
2852 Belecthor II of Gondor dies. The white Tree dies, and no seedling can be found. The dead Tree is left standing.
2885 Stirred up by emissaries of Sauron the Haradrim cross the Poros and attack Gondor. The sons of Folcwine of Rohan are slain in the service of Gondor.
2890 Bilbo born in the shire.
2901 Most of the remaining inhabitants of Ithilien desert it owing to the attacks of Uruks of Mordor. The secret refuge of Henneth Annûn is built.
2907 Birth of Gilrain mother of Aragorn II.
2911 The Fell Winter. The baranduin and other rivers are frozen. White Wolves invade Eriador from the North.
2912 Great floods devastate Enedwaith and Minhiriath. Tharbad is ruined and deserted.
2920 Death of the Old Took.
2929 Arathorn son of Arador of the Dunedain weds Gilraen.
2930 Arador slain by Trolls. Birth of Denethor II son of Echthelion II in Minas Tirith.
2931 Aragorn son of Arathorn II born on March Ist.
2933 Arathorn II slain. Gilrain takes Aragorn to Imladris. Elrond receives him as foster0son and gives him the name Estel (Hope); his ancestry is concealed.
2939 Saruman discovers that Sauron’s servants are searching the Anduin near Gladden Fields, and that Sauron therefore has learned of Isildur’s end. He is alarmed, but says nothing to the council.
2941 Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo meets Smeagol-Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River. Sauron having made his plans abandons Dol Guldur. The Battle of the Five Armies in Dale. Death of Thorin II. Bard of Esgaroth slays Smaug. Dain of the Iron Hills becomes King under the mountain (Dain II).
2942 Bilbo returns to the Shire with the Ring. Sauron returns in secret to Mordor.
2944 Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes King. Gollum leaves the Mountains and begins his search for the ‘thief’ of the Ring.
2948 Theoden son of Thengel, King of Rohan, born.
2949 Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo in the Shire.
2950 Finduilas, daughter of Adrahil of dol Amroth, born.
2951 Sauron declares himself openly and gathers power in Mordor. He begins the rebuilding of Barad-dur. Gollum turns towards Mordor. Sauron sends three of the Nazgul to reoccupy Dol Guldur. Elrond reveals to Estel his true name and acestry, and delivers to him the shards of Narsil. Arwen, newly returned from Lorien, meets Aragorn in the woods of Imladris. Aragorn goes out into the Wild.
2953 Last meeting of the White Council. They debate the Rings. Saruman feigns that he has discovered the one Ring has passed down Anduin to the Sea. Saruman withdraws to Isengard, which he takes as his own and fortifies it. Being jealous and afraid of Gandalf he sets spies to watch all of his movements; and notes his interest in the Shire. He soon begins to keep agents in Bree and the South-farthing.
2954 Mount Doom bursts into flame again. The last inhabitants of Ithilien flee over Anduin.
2956 Aragorn meets Gandalf and their friendship begins.
2957-80 Aragorn undertakes his great journeys and errantries. As Thorongil he serves in disguise both Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor.
2968 Birth of Frodo.
2976 Denethor weds Finduilas of Dol Amroth.
2977 Bain son of Bard becomes king of Dale.
2978 Birth of Boromir son of Denethor II.
2980 Aragorn enters Lorien, and there meets again Arwen Undomiel. Aragorn gives her the ring of Barahir, and they plight their troth upon the hill of Cerin Amroth. About this time Gollum reaches the confines of Mordor and becomes acquainted with Shelob. Theoden becomes king of Rohan.
2983 Faramir son of Denethor born. Birth of Samwise.
2984 Death of Ecthelion II. Denethor II becomes Steward of Gondor.
2988 Finduilas dies young.
2989 Balin leaves Erebor and enters Moria.
2991 Eomer Eomund’s son born in Rohan.
2994 Balin perishes, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.
2995 Eowyn born.
c.3000 The shadow of Mordor lengthens. Saruman dares to use the palantir of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has the Ithil Stone. He becomes a traitor to the Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers.
3001 Bilbo’s farewell feast. Gandalf suspects his ring to be the One Ring. The guard on the Shire is doubled. Gandalf seeks for news of Gollum and calls on the help of Aragorn.
3002 Bilbo becomes a guest of Elrond and settles in Rivendell.
3004 Gandalf visits Frodo in the Shire, and does so at intervals during the next four years.
3007 Brand son of Bain becomes King in Dale. Death of Gilraen.
3008 In the autumn Gandalf pays his last visit to Frodo.
3009 Gandalf and Aragorn renew their hunt for Gollum at intervals during the next eight years, searching the vales of Anduin, Mirkwood, and Rhovanion to the confines of Mordor. At some time during these years Gollum himself ventured into Mordor and was captured by Sauron. Elrond sends for Arwen, and she returns to Imladris; the Mountains and all lands eastward are becoming dangerous.
3017 Gollum is released from Mordor. He is taken by Aragorn in the Dead Marshes and brought to Thranduil in Mirkwood. Gandalf visits Minas Tirith and Reads the scroll of Isildur.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Good work on the info, it really is very neat!

As for my part, I'll take ii and iv - The Ride of Eorl and The Tradition of Isildur, respectively. As I said, however, you'll have to bear with me for a couple of days.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Not a problem. Takes the pressure off of me Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Silvone and I are sick. I feel like I haven't been well in months...

Anyway, it might take us a while to get our parts finished.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Not a problem, Ryona. I've got a lot going on this week, so I'm in no major rush. Get well soon!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm

My part for the Unfinished Tales. Sorry it is long, but there wasn't a lot I felt I could leave out. Some parts I summarized, and some parts I copied straight from the book. So it may not flow too well either. Hopefully the format makes it easier to read.

3.2.i : The Northmen and the Wainriders (Unfinished Tales)

The Northmen of Rhovanion
: The Northmen were a numerous and powerful confederation of peoples living in the wide the wide plains between Mirkwood and the River Running. They were great breeders of horses and riders renowned for their skill and endurance. Their settled homes were in the eastern eaves of Mirkwood, particularly around the East Bight, which was made by their felling of trees.

The Northmen were descendants of the same race of Men as those who in the First Age passed into the West of Middle-earth and became allies of the Eldar in their wars with Morgoth. They were therefore from afar off kinsmen of the Dúnedain or Númenóreans, and there was great friendship between them and the people of Gondor. They were in fact a bulwark of Gondor, keepings its northern and eastern frontiers from invasion; though that was not fully realized by the Kings until the bulwark was weakened and at last destroyed.

Descendants of these Men would become the Éothéod in the Vales of Anduin, on the western side of Mirkwood.

The Wainriders: The Wainriders are a confederation of Easterling tribes beyond the lands of Rhûn. They rode in great wagons and chariots, which earned them their name. They began raiding the lands of Rhovanion in 1851 and attacked in full force five years later. They invaded under the influence of Sauron, who had nurtured a great hatred for Gondor.

Timeline of Events:

1635: The waning of the Northmen of Rhovanion began with the Great Plague, which appeared there in the winter of the year 1635 and soon spread to Gondor. In Gondor the mortality was great, especially among those who dwelt in cities. It was greater in Rhovanion, for though its people lived mostly in the open and had no great cities, the Plague came with a cold winter when the horses and men were driven into shelter and their low wooden houses and stables were thronged. When the Plague passed, it is said that more than half of the folk of Rhovanion had perished, and of their horses also.

1851: The Northmen were slow to recover from the Plague, though the peoples further east must have been equally afflicted. The first attacks from the Wainriders did not come until over 200 years after the Plague. The Wainriders raided Rhovanion from 1851 to 1856.

1856: King Narmacil II took a great army north into the plains south of Mirkwood, and gathered all that he could of the scattered remnants of the Northmen; but he was defeated, and himself fell in battle. The remnant of his army retreated over the Dagorlad and into Ithilien, and Gondor abandoned all lands east of the Anduin save Ithilien.

The escape of the army of Gondor from total destruction was in part due to the courage and loyatly of the horsemen of the Northmen under Marhari who acted as rearguard. But the forces of Gondor had inflicted such losses on the Wainriders that they had not the strength enough to press their invasion, until reinforced from the East, and were content for the time to complete their conquest of Rhovanion.

As for the Northmen, a few, it is said, fled over the Celduin (River Running) and were merged with the folk of Dale under Erebor (with whom they were akin), some took refuge in Gondor, and others were gathered by Marhwini son of Marhari (who fell in the rearguard action after the Battle of the Plains). Passing north between Mirkwood and Anduin they settled in the Vales of Anduin, where they were joined by many fugitives who came through the Forest. This was the beginning of the Éothéod, though nothing was known of it in Gondor for many years. Most of the Northmen were reduced to servitude, and all their former lands were occupied by the Wainriders.

1899: King Calimehtar, son of Narmacil II, determined to avenge the defeat of the Battle of the Plains. Messengers came to him from Marhwini warning him that the Wainriders were plotting to raid Calenhardhon over the Undeeps; but they said also that a revolt of the Northmen who had been enslaved was being prepared and would burst into flames if the Wainriders became involved in war. Calimehtar led an army out of Ithilien, taking care that its approach should be well-known to the enemy. The Wainriders came down with all the strength they could spare, and Calimehtar gave way before them, drawing them away from their homes. At length, battle was joined upon the Dagorlad, and the result was long in doubt. But at its height horsemen that Calimehtar had sent over the Undeeps (left unguarded by the enemy) joined with a great éored led by Marhwini assailed the Wainriders flank and rear. The victory of Gondor was overwhelming – though not in the event decisive.

When the enemy broke and were soon in disordered flight north towards their homes Calimehtar, wisely for his part, did not pursue them. They had left well night a third of their host dead to rot upon the Dagorlad. But the horsemen of Marhwini harried the fugitives and inflicted great loss upon them in their long rout over the plains, until they were within far sight of Mirkwood, where a great smoke was going up.

The revolt planned and assisted by Marhwini had indeed broken out; desperate outlaws coming out of the Forest had roused the slaves, and together had succeeded in burning many of the dwellings of the Wainriders, and their storehouses, and their fortified camps of wagons. But most of them had perished in the attempt; for they were ill-armed, and the enemy had not left their homes undefended: their youths and old men were aided by the younger women, who in that people were also trained in arms and fought fiercely in defense of their homes and children.

Marhwini was obliged to retire again to his land beside the Anduin, and the Northmen of his race never again returned to their former homes.

1900: King Calimehtar builds the White Tower of Minas Anor (Minas Tirith) as a monument to his victory against the Wainriders.

1936: King Ondoher succeeds his father Calimehtar.

1940: Arvedui of Arnor weds Firiel daughter of Ondoher of Gondor.

1944: The Wainriders, under Sauron, allied with the peoples of Khand and their neighbors further south. Sauron devised an attack on Gondor from both the south and the north. Forthwini, son of Marwini, warned King Ondoher of the increased strength of the Wainriders in Rhovanion. Ondoher was also aware of armies from the south, and so he raised what armies he could and split them into two: the northern army, and the southern army.

The southern army camped at the city of Pelargir in Gondor under the command of Eärnil, a descendant of King Telumehtar, father of Narmacil II. The northern army was commanded by King Ondoher himself, accompanied by his eldest son, Aramir. His youngest son, Faramir, was commanded to stay at Minas Anor. King Ondoher expected the attack to come from the north or northeast, and he expected to position the northern army on the Dagorlad. But the Wainriders, with their reinforcements, came from the east, along the Ered Lithui. Ondoher was forced to do battle before the Gates of Mordor (the Morannon). The advance army of chariots and horsemen crashed into Ondoher’s unprepared line, killing both Ondoher and his son Aramir. Emboldened by their success, the main easterling force continues on.

Minothar, the captain of Gondor’s armies, took command of the shattered northern army. They retreated south, toward Ithilien, and slowed the advance of the invaders as well as they could. The Éothéod arrived by word of Faramir, youngest son of Ondoher who had escaped Minas Anor to do battle in disguise. Faramir fought with the Éothéod near Rhovanion, but was slain. The leader of the Éothéod then went to Minothar to give word of Faramir’s death.

Despite the help of the Éothéod, Minothar was slain by an arrow and what remained of the rearguard was forced to flee south. The chief commander of the Wainriders then called a halt to the advance and held a feast. But Eärnil, Captain of the southern army, won a great victory in South Ithilien and destroyed the army of Harad that had crossed the River Poros. Hastening north, he gathered to him all that he could of the retreating northern army and came up against the main camp of the Wainriders, while they were feasting and reveling, believing that Gondor was overthrown and that nothing remained but to take the spoil. Eärnil stormed the camp and set fire to the wains, and drove the enemy in a great rout out of Ithilien. A great part of those who fled before him perished in the Dead Marshes.

Conclusion: In the Tale of Years the victory of Eärnil is called the Battle of the Camp. After the deaths of Ondoher and both his sons at the Morannon, Arvedui, last king of the northern realm, laid claim to the crown of Gondor; but his claim was rejected, and in the year following the Battle of the Camp Eärnil became King. His son was Eärnur, who died in Minas Morgul after accepting the challenge of the Lord of the Nazgûl, and was the last of the Kings of the southern realm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:27 pm

.: Magorthaen Tunneth :.

.: Born in the year 2486 of the 3rd Age :.

.: Man :.

.: Male :.

.: Ancestry :.
Magorthaen Tunneth comes from a long line of farmers and miners living in the shadow of the mountain Thrihyrne, on the western corner of the White Mountains between the rivers Isen and Adorn. The town of Ossiras has long supplied the fortress of Angrenost with food and supplies. The men of Ossiras are primarily farmers and miners, though they often provide new recruits to the fortress as well.

The people of Ossiras and its neighboring towns also trade with the Dunlendings to the northwest. Though the Dunlending’s relationship with Gondor is tenuous, the people in the region of Thrihyrne and Angrenost have managed to make peace with them.

Magorthaen is the son of Minohtar Tunneth and Anatheirien Serilveleth. Minohtar Tunneth was born in Ossiras and raised as a miner under Thrihyrne. At the age of 21, he left Ossiras to serve under the guard at Angrenost. He served for nine years before returning to Ossiras. Within a year of his return he married Anatheirien. Margorthaen was born two years later.

Anatheirien was born to a trader, and much of her life she accompanied her father to the northern lands and Angrenost. When her father died during a raid on his caravan, Anatheirien took over. She owns a large farm on the western outskirts of Ossiras. She met Minohtar during a trade run through Angrenost, and they met with each other for the next three years. Eventually she convinced Minohtar to retire from Gondor’s “forgotten army” and return home with her.

.: Biography :.
Magorthaen was born in the year 2486. He was raised on his mother’s farm, though his father taught him the trade of the miners as well. At the age of fifteen, Magorthaen expressed interest in joining the guard at Angrenost, and Minohtar promised to arrange it. For the next six years, Magorthaen spent his free time roaming the hills around Thrihyrne and the lands west of it with his father’s old sword, imagining battling orcs or easterlings from his father’s ancient stories. Minohtar grudgingly taught his son a few forms with the sword, though warned him that his service would be “nothing more than babysitting a dull rock.”

At the age of 21, Magorthaen joined the guard at Angrenost. The small town was different than he had expected, with barracks and houses just outside of a large wall. Trees towered over the wall from within, and the gates were open, but the tower of Orthanc within was sealed off. Magorthaen started his duties with determination and excitement, but quickly realized that his father had not exaggerated. He was, however, welcome of the knowledge he was gaining. The Dunlendings were not as passive or as dull as he had been led to believe, and news from the east, which was previously closed to him, was now passing by his ears.

Shortly after turning 23, Magorthaen was promoted to cainenhîr, the leader of a squad of 16 infantry men, a tulkarim.

.: Physical Description :.
Magorthaen Tunneth stands a head taller than most men, both at Ossiras and Angrenost. He is also physically tough, having worked in the fields at Ossiras and the mines under Thrihyrne. This has earned him some respect at Angrenost, as he has proven himself to be a capable fighter with both the sword and hand-to-hand combat.

Magorthaen has blonde hair and blue eyes, so he stands apart from many of the guards who are now of Dunlending descent. Magorthaen still has a young face and a body free of scars or other identifying marks, which earns him some attention when the traders come through Agrenost with their daughters.

.: Occupation/Rank :.
Magorthaen is a member of the army of Gondor, though he belongs to the nearly forgotten guard of Angrenost, and thus is perhaps not formally inducted into the army. He joined the guard as the rank of bennêth, an untrained soldier. Within a few months he was promoted to vagor, a swordsman. His current rank is cainenhîr, the leader of a squad of 16 infantry men, a tulkarim, which he received during his second year at Angrenost.

.: Skills :.
Magorthaen is skilled with the sword. He was taught by his father, Minohtar, before he was sent to Angrenost. He has also had training while stationed at Angrenost, and has proven himself to be more capable with the lango than most. Magorthaen has also proven to be a capable leader, though he is still in the learning stages.

.: Weapons :.
Lango: Arguably the most common war sword is lango, a straight, two-edged, cut-and-thrust sword some 32 to 42 inches in length. It is used by both infantry and cavalry, and in the right hands is effective against any armor it is likely to encounter. The longer varieties are preferred by cavalrymen, but the tall men of dúnedain can wield them comfortably even on foot.

Sigil: The sigil, a small dagger, is mostly a ceremonial weapon carried by cainenhîr as a sign of their rank.

.: Gear :.
Magorthaen wears a standard infantry helmet, open around the face with a pointed crest. He wears a suit of chainmail covered by a long-sleeved white vest bearing the standard of Angrenost: a tall black tower crossed by a sword and axe, and a black key floating within the pinnacle. He wears a belt that holds the scabbard for both his lango, on his left side, and his sigil, on his right side. He also has a pouch tied to the belt that contains his personal belongings: a few coins, a sharpening stone, and some oil. A round, leather-covered shield is kept strapped to his back until needed, also bearing the standard of Angrenost. He also wears brown leather boots that rise almost to his knees.

.: Personality Description :.
Magorthaen is eager for excitement. He grew up listening to his father’s stories of his time in the service of the Angrenost guard, as well as the ancient stories of the invasions of orcs and easterlings. Like any youth, Magorthaen is eager to experience the thrill of battle, and has yet not seen anything more exciting than news of border disputes with Dunlendings, and the vague rumors of strange activity in Rhovanion.

Magorthaen is slowly developing a commanding presence, which is supported by both his height and physical strength. He eagerly accepted the post of cainenhîr, and is slowly developing a strong relationship with his squad. Magorthaen does run into trouble with the veteran members of the guard, who see his young face and dismiss him as inexperienced and useless. Magorthaen often tries to mimic his father’s sharp tongue to overcome the problem, which tends to land him in trouble for insubordination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Wait, are we submitting character sheets now (Very nice character, by the way, Silvone.)? I was planning on waiting until we had all the background information. I usually prefer to wait until I know the context of the RP story before making a character so I can design their background to fit into the plot, but I can start working on one now if you would prefer.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:02 pm

It's fine to wait, Silvan. Silvone has read all of the information and took the liberty of some extra time he had to go ahead and submit a character sheet. But you can wait until all of the info is up. I promise to start typing mine up as soon as Theoden is well or on his way to getting well again.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:40 pm

I've been a bit sick myself, but I'm getting better now. I need to catch up on some things, but no worries: this is high on the list. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Just want to let you know I began tapping away on my section...so far condensed the first two pages into a paragraph, but I don't know if I will get any more tonight. Theoden has a virus that gives him a high fever, he is in good spirits most of the time but poor kid must be miserable...I can't imagine what 103 degree fever feels like on his poor little body Sad

Anyway, if I do a couple of pages every day I should be done soon.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:40 am

Yeah, I jumped the gun with my character sheet, but I knew what I wanted him to be and how he would fit into the story. And I just needed to get it out while it was fresh. No rush for the rest of you Wink

By the way, I forgot to mention that the military terms used in my character sheet for both rank and weapons was taken from this site: Lindefirion: Lay of The Dead

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:34 am

Nice character Silvone! I like how you brought life to an otherwise empty land.

Ahem, I'm done with my classification for the Ride of Eorl. I admit, when I started I didn't think it would actually be this hard - trying to filter out all that's irrelevant and just leaving the juicy, ripe heart of the matter. Tolkien doesn't make it easy on you either, 'cause he likes going on tangents a lot. At any rate, long story short, I wasn't really sure how to proceed. So to make matters simpler on me (and others, I hope) I decided to mimic Silvone's way of going about events. I apologise beforehand for the length of it all, but the passage I copied directly from the book (you'll notice it easily enough I reckon, as the Professor's style is difficult to mistake) is, in my opinion, the information we need the most for this RP.

I hope it proves helpful and easy to understand. For your own sake, I advise you guys use a map (like this one) as otherwise things may become too confusing.

3.2.ii : The Ride of Eorl (Unfinished Tales)

The Éothéod: The Éothéod were descendants of the Northmen of Rhovanion, a remnant of that people which had settled on the western eaves of Mirkwood after the war with the Wainriders. After those events, they dwelt between the Carrock and the Gladden Fields. Over time, they were joined by other groups of Northmen refugees – this marked the beginning of the Éothéod. Some hundred years later, they had increased in number and the land could no longer sustain them. This is when Frumgar led his people to the north, in the land the riders would later refer to as the Éothéod. (it should be noted that the name is applied to both the land and the people living there)

The new land of the Éothéod lay north of Mirkwood, between the Misty Mountains westward and the Forest River eastward. Southward it extended to the confluence of the two short rivers that they named Greylin and Langwell. Greylin flowed down from Ered Mithrin, the Grey Mountains, but Langwell came from the Misty Mountains, and this name is bore because it was the source of Anduin, which from its junction with Greylin they called the Langflood.

[A note on the capital: “…between the confluence of Greylin and Langwell (where was their only fortified burg)”; the name of the capital is never mentioned in Tolkien’s writings, however the name Framsburg can be seen on the map of Middle-Earth drawn by Pauline Baynes (link) . According to Wikipedia, it was done so “in consultation with Tolkien”. It was named for Fram, son of Frumgar, after he defeated Scatha the Worm. ]

The Balchoth: A clan of Easterlings living in Rhovanion, under the sway of Dol Guldur; they were akin to the Wainriders who preceded them. The Balchoth were great in number, but they were rudely armed and had a small amount of horses suitable for riding, for the majority of them were used to pull their wains. Allying themselves with orcs coming down from the mountains, they used rafts to cross the Anduin and descended upon the sparsely populated land of Calenardhon.

[Note: As with the Wainriders, information on the Balchoth is scarce at best. Little is known about them, in terms of culture and political structure, however – it is most probably safe to assume that they would live in a way fitting of Mordor and its Dark Lord. With the strongest on top of society and the weak trampled and used as slaves.]

Timeline of Events:

1977: Frumgar leads his people north, driving out the remnants of the servants of Angmar. Most likely, Framsburg was founded shortly after the Éothéod arrived.
2459: Léod is born.
2485: Eorl is born.
2489: Cirion becomes Steward of Gondor.
2501: Léod, father of Eorl and Lord of the Éothéod, is killed while trying to tame the horse that would later be known as Felaróf. Eorl succeeds his father and becomes known as “The Young”, due to his age – 16 years old.
2509: A great host of Easterlings (The Balchoth) muster on the southern eaves of Mirkwood, preparing an attack on Calenardhon.
2510: The Balchoth launch their attacks on Calenardhon, aided by orcs coming down from the mountains. Cirion sends messengers north to the Éothéod, hoping that they would aid him in his hour of need. In the mean time, he musters what forces he can and departs north, in attempt to stop the enemy from advancing further. He leaves his son, Hallas, in command of Minas Tirith.

The first pair of messengers left on the tenth day of Súlìmë; and in the event it was one of these, alone of all the six, who got through to the Éothéod. He was Borondir, a great rider of a family that claimed descent from a captain of the Northmen in the service of the Kings of old. Of the others no tidings were ever heard, save of Borondir’s companion. He was slain by arrows in ambush as they passed near Dol Guldur, from which Borondir escaped by fortune and the speed of his horse. He was pursued as far north as the Gladden Fields, and often waylaid by men that came out of the Forest and forced him to ride far out of the direct way. He came at last to the Éothéod after fifteen days, for the last two without food; and he was so spent that he could scarce speak his message to Eorl.

It was then the twenty-fifth day of Súlìmë. Eorl took counsel with himself in silence; but not for long. Soon he rose, and he said: “I will come. If the Mundburg falls, whither shall we flee from the Darkness?” Then he took Borondir’s hand in token of his promise. [Note from Blackrock: Mundburg is Minas Tirith in the tongue of the Éothéod; it means “Protecting Hill”]

Eorl at once summoned his council of Elders, and began to prepare for the great riding. But this took many days, for the host had to be gathered and mustered, and thought taken for the ordering of the people and the defence of the land. At that time the Éothéod were at peace and had no fear of war: thought it might prove otherwise when it became known that their lord had ridden away to battle far off in the South. Nonetheless Eorl saw well that nothing less than his full strength would serve, and he must risk all or draw back and break his promise.

At last the whole host was assembled; and only a few hundreds were left behind to support the men unfitted for such a desperate venture by youth or age. It was then the sixth day of the month of Víressë. On that day in silence the great éoherë set out, leaving fear behind, and taking with them small hope; for they knew not what lay before them, either on the road or at its end. It is said that Eorl led forth some seven thousand fully-armed riders and some hundreds of horsed archers. At his right hand rode Borondir, to serve as guide so far as he might, since he had lately passed through the lands. But this great host was not threatened or assailed during its long journey down the Vales of Anduin. Such folk of good or evil kind as saw it approach fled out of its path for fear of its might and splendour. As it drew southward and passed by southern Mirkwood (below the great East Bight), which was now infested by the Balchoth, still there was no sign of men, in force or in scouting parties, to bar their road or to spy upon their coming. In part this was due to events unknown to them, which had come to pass since Borondir set out; but other powers also were at work. For when at last the host drew near to Dol Guldur, Eorl turned away westward for fear of the dark shadow and cloud that flowed out from it, and then he rode on within sight of Anduin. Many of the riders turned their eyes thither, half in fear and half in hope to glimpse from afar the shimmer of the Dwimordene, the perilous land that in legends of their people was said to shine like gold in the springtime. But now it seemed shrouded in a gleaming mist; and to their dismay the mist passed over the river and flowed over the land before them. [Note from Blackrock: Dwimordene is the land of Lothlórien in the language of the Éothéod; it means “Magical Wood”]

Eorl did not halt. “Ride on!” he commanded. “There is no other way to take. After so long a road shall we be held back from battle by a river-mist?”

As they drew nearer they saw that the white mist was driving back the glooms of Dol Guldur, and soon they passed into it, riding slowly at first and warily; but under its canopy all things were lit with a clear and shadowless light, while to left and right they were guarded as it were by white walls of secrecy.

“The Lady of the Golden Wood is on our side, it seems,” said Borondir.

“Maybe,” said Eorl. “But at least I will trust the wisdom of Felaróf. He scents no evil. His heart is high, and his weariness is healed: he strains to be given his head. So be it! For never have I had more need of secrecy and speed.”

Then Felaróf sprang forward, and all the host behind followed like a great wind, but in a strange silence, as if their hooves did not beat upon the ground. So they rode on, as fresh and eager as on the morning of their setting-out, during that day and the next; but at dawn on the third day they rose from their rest, and suddenly the mist was gone, and they saw that they were far out in the open lands. On their right the Anduin lay near, but they had almost passed its great eastward loop, and the Undeeps were in sight. It was the morning of the fifteenth day of Víressë, and they had come there at a speed beyond hope.

[Tolkien notes: In nine days they had covered more than five hundred miles in a direct line, probably more than six hundred as they rode. Though there were no great natural obstacles on the east side of the Anduin, much of the land was now desolate, and roads or horse-paths running southward were lost or little used; only for short periods were they able to ride at speed, and they needed also to husband their own strength and their horses’, since they expected battle as soon as they reached the Undeeps.]

When Eorl and his Riders came to the Field of Celebrant the northern army of Gondor was in peril.
Defeated in the Wold and cut off from the south, it had been driven across the Limlight, and was then suddenly assailed by the Orc-host that pressed it towards the Anduin. All hope was lost when unlooked for, the Riders came out of the North and broke upon the rear of the enemy. Then the fortunes of battle were reversed, and the enemy was driven with slaughter over Limlight. Eorl led his men in pursuit, and so great was the fear that went before the horsemen of the North that the invaders of the Wold were also thrown into panic, and the Riders hunted them over the plains of Calenardhon.

[Note from Blackrock: Súlìmë - > Quenya name of the third month according to the Númenórean calendar; March. Víressë ->Quenya name of the fourth month according to the Númenórean calendar; April.]

Conclusion: The Battle of the Field of Celebrant marked the beginning of the kingdom of Rohan. The Balchoth were broken and the threat to Gondor was, for a time, averted. In addition, the settling of the Éothéod in Calenardhon meant that for the first time in hundreds of years, the Southern Kingdom had a bulwark against enemy forces coming in from Rhovanion. However, this also meant that, once more, Gondor’s territories were greatly shrunken.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I am almost finished with section 3 (iii). 2 pages left. Hopefully I can finish before you get to section iv Very Happy

After that, everything we planned on referencing will be up. Kalon and Silvan, if either of you need help with ancestry (especially you Silvan, being an elf) I will gladly help you guys out.

Edit: I'm done. Mine is even longer than your sections, I think. But much was dialogue that I felt should be shared word for word. Dialogue is in white font.

3.2.iii : Cirion and Eorl (Unfinished Tales)

The Halifirien:
Westernmost of the beacons of Gondor, along the line of Ered Nirais, the Halifirien (rohirrim language: Holy Mountain) was the highest of the beacons, appearing to stand up alone out of a great wood. The great West Road passed through a long cutting in the Firien wood, made in ancient days, being the great Numenorean road linking the two kingdoms, crossing the Isen at the Fords of Ise and the Greyflood at Tharbad and then on northwards to Fornost; elsewhere called the North-South Road. After the departure of Isildur no tree was ever felled here, except by beacon Wardens. There were beasts, and none liked to remain here for long; not for the beasts or a dark evil, but beneath the sounds of the winds, the cries of birds and beasts, or the noise of horsemen, there lay a silence, and a man would find himself speaking to his comrades in a whisper, as if he expected to hear the echo ofa great voice that called from far away and long ago. This place was called Amon Anwar in Sindarin, the “Hill of Awe”, for reasons unknown in Gondor except to the ruling king or Steward. This place also referred to as the “Whispering Wood”. No beacon was here while the palantiri maintained communication between Osgiliath and the three towers (orthanc, Minas Ithil, Minas Anor). In later days, little aid was expected from people of the North as Calendardhon declined. The full beacon system could not have been older than the Settlement of the Rohirrim. It was not permitted that any fort or beacon should be set upon Amon Anwar.

Éored: Though it is noted that éored stood for Riders fully trained for war, but with no fixed number, after the recovery of the Rohirrim and reorganization of heir forces under King Folcwine (about a hundred years before War of the Ring), a ‘full éored” in battle order was to contain no less than 120 men including the Captain, and one hundredth part of the Full Muster of the Riders of the Mark. The full muster of the cavalry was called éoherë.

The Gift of Calenardhon: There was great assault of the Balchoth and Orcs, which would have been the ruin of Gondor, when Eorl the Young and the Rohirrim rescued the realm of Calendardhon. It was wondered how Cirion would reward Eorl; many thought there would be a feast. But Cirion said instead:

Farewell now Eorl, son of Léod. I will return to my home, where much needs to be set in order. Calenardhon I commit to your care for this time, if you are not in haste to return to your own realm. In three months’ time I will meet you here again, and then we will take cousel together.”

I will come,” Eorl answered; and so they departed.

Then Cirion summoned servants to the Whispering Wood to re-open the ancient path to Amon Anwar, in secret. They were to fell no trees, keep the entrance hidden, and tell no one what they had done. Then in the month of Úrimë he set out with Hallas, his son the Lord of Dol Amroth [aka Prince], and two others, and met Eorl and three chief captains at the crossing of the Mering Stream. Cirion led them to the Hill of Awe. Here he stated: “I will now declare what I have resolved, with the authority of the Stewards of the Kings, to offer to Eorl son of Léod, Lord of the Éothéod, in recognition of the valour of his people and of the help beyond hope that he brought to Gondor in time of dire need. To Eorl I will give in free gift all the great land of Calenardhon from Anduin to Isen. There, if he will, he shall be king, and his heirs after him, and his people shall dwell in freedom while the authority of the Stewards endures, until the Great King returns. No bond shall be laid upon them other than their own laws and will, save in this only: they shall live in perpetual friendship with Gondor and its enemies shall be their enemies while both realms endure. But the same bond shall be laid also on the people of Gondor.”

Eorl was honored by the generosity of the gift and the noble terms in which it had been offered, and he saw the wisdom of it. His lands were too small and constrained by the threat of Dol Guldur. Beyond this wisdom and policy, Cirion and Eorl were moved by the great friendship that bound their peoples together, and by the love that was between them as true men. Cirion had the love of a wise father for a son in the strength and hope of his youth, while Eorl saw in Cirion the highest and noblest and wisest man in the world that he knew. Then Eorl responded: “Lord Steward of the Great King, the gift that you offer I accept for myself and for my people. It far exceeds any reward that our deeds could have earned, if they had not themselves been a free gift of friendship. But now I will seal that friendship with an oath that shall not be forgotten.”

Then Cirion led Eorl to the high place of Amon Anwar to take their oaths. At the high place there was a wide oval place of level turf, unfenced, at its eastern end a low mound which grew the white flowers of alfirin (simbelmynë). Before the mound was a black stone engraved with three letters lambe, ando, lambe (L-ND-L). This was the tomb of Elendil, kept secret by the kings and stewards of Gondor. It is the midpoint of the Kingdom of the South.

The Oath of Eorl: Eorl then stood forth, and taking his spear from his esquire he set it upright in the ground. Then he drew his sword and cast it up shining in the sun, and catching it again he stepped forward and laid the blade upon the mound, but with his hand still about the hilts. He spoke then in a great voice the Oath of Eorl. This he said in the tongue of the Éothéod, which in the Comon Speech is interpreted.

Hear now all peoples who bow not to the Shadow in the East, by the gift of the Lord of the Mundburg we will come to dwell in the land that he names Calenardhon, and therefore I vow with my own name and on behalf of the Éothéod of the North that between us and the Great People of the West there shall be friendship for ever: their enemies shall be our enemies, their need shall be our need, and whatsoever evil, or threat, or assault may come upon them we will aid them to the utmost end of our strength. This vow shall descend to my heirs, all such as may come after me in our new land, and let them keep it in faith unbroken, lest the shadow fall upon them and they become accursed.”

Cirion then made answer. Standing to his full height he laid his hand upon the tomb and in his right hand held up the white wand of the Stewards, and spoke words that filled those who heard them with awe. For as he stood up the sun went down in flame in the West and his white robe seemed to be on fire; and after he had vowed that Gondor should be bound by a like bond of friendship and aid in all need, he lifted up his voice and said in Quenya: "Vanda sina termaruva Elenna-nóreo alcar enyalien ar Elendil Vorondo vorowë. Nai tiruvantes I hárar mahalmassen mi Númen ar I Eru I or ilyë mahalmar eä tennoio." He said again in common speech: "This oath shall stand in memory of the glory of the Land of the Star, and of the faith of Elendil the Faithful, in the keeping of those who sit upon the thrones of the West and of the One who is above all thrones for ever."

The Beginning of a New Realm: Such an oath had not been heard since Elendil himself had sworn alliance with Gil-galad King of the Eldar. [And not used again until King Elessar returned and renewed the bond in that same place with King of the Rohirrim, Eomer the eighteenth descended from Eorl.] They then laid out the boundaries of the realm of Eorl, and in all these regions Gondor still retained under its own command only the fortress of Angrenost, the third tower of Gondor, the impregnable Orthanc where was held the fourth of the palantiri of the southern realm. The guards of this land were a small settled people. The Wood of Anwar (whispering wood) was agreed to be in the care and maitenence of both realms, but with the decline of Gondor, Rohan cared for it entirely. They named the Hill of Awe the Halifirien, and the Wood the Firienholt [Firien Wood]. The day of the Oath taking is referenced as the first day of the new Kingdom, when Eorl took the title of King of the Mark of the Riders. It took some while before Rohirrim took possession of the land, and during his life Eorl was known as Lord of the Éothéod and King of Calenardhon. The term Mark signified a borderland, especially one serving as defense of the inner lands of a realm. The Sindarin names Rohan for the Mark and Rohirrim for the people were devised first by Hallas, son and successor of Cirion, but were often used not only in Gondor but by the Éothéod themselves.

Eorl takes his leave: "Lord Steward…This land is now rid of enemies; but they are not destroyed at the root, and beyond Anduin and under the eaves of Mirkwood we know not yet what peril lurks. I sent yestereve three messengers north, riders brave and skilled, in the hope that one at least will reach my home before me. For I must now return myself, and with some strength; my land was left with few men, those too young and those too old; and if they are to make so great a journey our women and children, with such goods as we cannot spare, well nigh half of the host that is now in Calenardhon. Some companies of horsed archers there shall be, to go where need calls, if any bands of the enemy still lurk in the land; but the main force shall remain in the North-east to guard above all the place where the Balchoth made a crossing of the Anduin out of the Brown Lands; for there is still the greatest danger, and there is also my chief hope, if I return, of leading my people into their new land with as little grief and loss as may be. If I return, I say: but be assured that I shall return, for the keeping of my oath, unless disaster befall us and I perish with my people on the long road. For that must be on the east side of Anduin ever under the threat of Mirkwood, and at last must pass through the vale that is haunted by the shadow of the hill that you name Dol Guldur. On the west side there is no road for horsemen, nor for a great host of people and wains, even were not the Mountains infested by Orcs; and none can pass, few or many, through the Dwimordene where dwells the White Lady and weaves nets that no mortal can pass [It is obvious Eorl does not believe the White Lady helped their passing to Celebrant]. By the east road I will come, as I came to Celebrant; and may those whom we call in witness of our oaths have us in their keeping. Let us part now in hope! Have I your leave?”

Cirion responded, “Indeed you have my leave, since I see now that it cannot be otherwise. I perceive that in our peril I have given too little thought to the dangers that you have faced and the wonder of your coming beyond hope over the long leagues from the North. The reward that I offered in joy and fullness of heart at our deliverance now seems little. But I believe that the words of my oath, which I had not forethought ere I spoke there, were not put into my mouth in vain. We will part then in hope.”

Last edited by Ryona Noel on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Info overload yet? Lol.

Would it be helpful for me to go ahead and open an OOC to put all of this info together in a more coherent fashion? Or is this working for you guys for now.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Alright, I'm caught up on everything posted here. I don't have much idea of what character to have, so I'll wait a bit.

Wasn't there something in the actual books I was supposed to read?
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Everything we've typed up here is a summary of what I wanted read, so no, you don't have to read anything else (except for the last little bit Blackrock is going to be posting). Of course, depending on what you decide to make your character, you might have to do a bit of extra research. I'm slowly putting my character together, no where near finished though. Please use Silvone's cs for reference to what I want to be included in your character sheet!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Something like this, then. Very Happy
Just to make things easy for everyone. ^^

Code:
[b]. : [insert full character name here here] : .[/b]
[b]. : [insert character birth year and Age (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) here] : .[/b]
[b]. : [insert character race ~ Man, Elf, Dwarf, etc. here] : .[/b]
[b]. : [insert character gender here] : .[/b]
[b]. : Ancestry : .[/b]
[b]. : Biography : .[/b]
[b]. : Appearance : .[/b]
[b]. : Occupation : .[/b]
[b]. : Skills : .[/b]
[b]. : Weapons : .[/b]
[b]. : Gear : .[/b]
[b]. : Personality : .[/b]
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes! Very good Smile

Edit: I might have Silvone alter that to put Man of Gondor or something, to make it more obvious what realm he hails from. That and it's awkward putting man right above the word Female, lol!

Last edited by Ryona Noel on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next