FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check)

+4
Chainlinc3
Guilty Carrion
Nihilistic_Impact
Christoph
8 posters

Go down

Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check) Empty Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check)

Post by Christoph Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:53 am

((Preface: This is a brainstorming and interesting-gauging thread. I have a couple potential story ideas floating around, but I don't have much else specifically in mind beyond the idea of it being a broad, sweeping epic comparable in narrative scope to A Song of Ice and Fire IN SPACE -- in that there can be several different story arcs all going in different areas (with different threads, maybe or maybe not going at the same time) that eventually weave together. I'm open to suggestions and ideas, and I'll be adding more setting details on a regular basis. I am also looking for reliable assistant GMs to help run other arcs in the greater storytelling web.))

“Everything we worked for
Is ripped apart and ruined, drowned
Deep beneath our dying world.
The earth begins to open up!

Into the mouth of hell we march.”

--Trivium, ‘Into the Mouth of Hell’

Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis

"The fires of war burn brightly from star to star. Everywhere the fortresses of Man are steeped in blood and ancient enemies appear from the darkness. Sensing weakness they gather for the kill. They know as we know that night approaches and all mortal life shall be extinguished. We know, as they cannot, that there shall be a new dawn and a new day when we will rise and they will be driven into the darkness forever."

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power form the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battle fleets cross the Daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defense forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the Tech-Priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name but a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants—and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of the thirsting gods.

The Ataraxis Sector

“Across the void of space men live as they have lived for millennia upon the sand, rock and soil of worlds bathed in the light of alien suns. So is Humanity's seed cast far and wide beyond the knowledge of Man, to thrive bitterly in the darkness, to take root and cling with robust and savage determination.”

It is the year 999.M41. Abaddon’s 13th Black Crusade has begun, leaving destruction in its wake as forces of the Ruinous Powers spew forth from the Eye of Terror, threatening to bring down all that the Emperor and mankind have built. The Ataraxis Sector falls in the center of Segmentum Obscurus, close enough to the Eye of Terror to feel the impact of the great conflict, albeit indirectly.

More so than most, this sector teeters on the brink of annihilation, beset by the Imperium’s countless enemies, both from from within and without. The sector capital of Ballator lies in ruin at the hands of bloodthirsty Orks and many other worlds have fallen to subtle Chaos or Xeno influences, rebellion and dissent, or even outright invasion by marauding heretic fleets. Political infighting and corruption boils up from below, and the Inquisition quarantines massive swaths of space for unknown reasons, threatening to splinter this already periled sector.

Yet, the human race is nothing if not a race of hope and determination, heroes and survivors. The time has come for the faithful to stand against the darkness. With the Emperor, one man can stand against the horrors of the galaxy. In this most desperate hour, at the turning of the millennia, the Ataraxis Sector needs saints, heroes, and martyrs like never before.

The Ataraxis Sector's Worlds:

The Saints of Ataraxis:
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check) Empty Re: Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check)

Post by Christoph Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:53 am

Corrinth:

Icalis:

The Wings of Vengeance:

Plot Ideas:

Last edited by Christoph on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check) Empty Re: Warhammer 40,000: The Fate of Ataraxis (Interest check)

Post by Nihilistic_Impact Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:59 am

Ahh, Warhammer 40.000, a setting that will always evoke a sense of wonder and amazement. Damn shame it has some truly shitty writers for it.

Regardless I'm in the mood for some Inquisition play.
Nihilistic_Impact
Nihilistic_Impact
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:18 am

Warhammer 40k. So very, very interested I am. So long as I can Chaos it up at some point. Every story needs some dark to it, and I am more than happy to provide the blackened fire of the warp.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 am

I'd be a guardsman, but that's basically the same as slapping a giant "EXPENDABLE" sticker on my forehead.

Anyway, count me in-- there's no way I could pass up a 40k story.
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quakernuts Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Well, might as well throw my hat into the pile as well. Don't know what I want to be. No one has picked Space Marine yet, but they're a stereotypical character...We'll see
quakernuts
quakernuts
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Christoph Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Be sure to click on all the Spoiler bars to access the vast amounts of setting information, as well as the current three plot ideas. My first priority is actually number three (involving Inquisitorial agents). The other two and/or any other ideas that come up, will either be saved for later on, or passed on to co-GMs to run and interweave with the overall metaplot of the sector.
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 am

Alright, so would it work best for you if we expressed which plot we're more interested in, or what have you? I'd be down for some inquisitional fun, lots of material there. And maybe as the threads weave together, I'd get the Chaos I so adore.

Lots of info Very Happy. Already read most of it, just need to finish a few of the planets. Long day, need sleep first.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SahuginDra Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Ding. Ding. Plot 3: Eyes in the Darkness. B/C I actually want to get somewhere with what is going on this time and not have all the players disappear suddenly just at the beginning. Spawning in any other plot lines depends on my schedule, but is unlikely.

SahuginDra
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Christoph Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm glad that you came over here for the reboot, Dra. I've got a good feeling about hosting an Ataraxis chronicle on this site.
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ArcturusV Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:34 am

Apparently you are a Japanophile again, Mr. Christoph.

I could be down for rebooting Skies of Fire. Same deal as before. I want nominal Imperial characters only. Whether it's Guardsmen, Marines, Fighter Jocks, Tech-Priests, Death-Cultists, Gangers who rather fight with the Imperium than be taken by Chaos, etc. As long as they fit on the Hive World setting, and can be believably against the Exarchs and Lances, it will work out.

ArcturusV
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Christoph Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 am

Awesome. Good to have you with us. Post the OOC info-dump at your leisure.

Also, Eyes In the Darkness OOC thread is up. http://www.footstepsofghosts.com/t3869-eyes-in-the-darkness-ooc-40k
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ArcturusV Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:57 am

http://www.footstepsofghosts.com/t3870-skies-of-fire-fall-of-ataraxis-roleplay#92465

Information Dump for Skies of Fire, which will contain key information for the roleplay. Notable figures, history, interesting tidbits and unexpected twists.

ArcturusV
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Nihilistic_Impact Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:40 am

Arc, it's good to have you.

Now maybe I can drag Cog over here since it's not a BDSM site and he just adored 40k.
Nihilistic_Impact
Nihilistic_Impact
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by First Claw Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Ahhh...good ol' 40k, ye old satanist space marines.

I am feeling chaos-ey. last RP I was in I was some goody-goody loyalist.

'Ave Dominus Nox'
First Claw
First Claw
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Christoph Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:26 pm

I don't think goody-goody exists in this setting, loyalist or otherwise. XD
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by First Claw Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:07 pm

you have a point...
First Claw
First Claw
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down