FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals)

+6
skull_mech
UnfortunateBountyHunter
wakeangel
YenWen
Shekinah
Crain_S
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals) Empty These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals)

Post by Crain_S Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:51 am

The Object Chronicles IC

We fill our lives with things. Some things we need for hygiene, like a Toothbrush. Some we need for safety, like the Key to the lock on our front door. There are also the frivolous things we keep for sentimental purposes like the Locket that once belonged to a favorite aunt or the Shot glass you picked up on your honeymoon. These things are either practical or are special and hold meaning to us. Beyond that, they are just things, right?

Of course they are…most likely. Around the world, there are Objects, items that look common enough, and yet they hold the potential for extraordinary Abilities, once you know how to use them. There are Objects that can cause spontaneous combustion, grant telekinesis and some are rumored to allow the User to predict the future.

As you can imagine, these Objects are highly coveted for many reasons. There are those who seek as many Objects as possible in order to use their Abilities for personal gain, those that seek to collect Objects to hide them away for the good of mankind and others who seek to examine Objects to determine their Purpose. Regardless of why they want the Objects, few are not willing to spill blood to get them.

As you join the world where everyday Objects hold extraordinary power, be warned: the Objects are not only dangerous because they are coveted. The Objects themselves hold hidden dangers for those who use them. Nothing comes without a Price, and the Objects are not forgiving when it comes time to pay up.

RULES

1. To keep things fair, and to keep things in the spirit in which they were intended, Objects and Abilities will be selected by choosing a number and letter; the player will not know what they are getting until they choose a combination. Once the player has contributed to the story sufficiently (ten-twenty posts) they may choose a second Object, either by creating their own or by selecting another combination.
2. Once an Object/Ability is chosen, it is up to the player to customize the look of the Object, the exact nature of the Ability, how the Object is used to utilize the Ability, and the Price of using the object. This can be directly linked to the Ability, i.e. Super Speed makes you really hungry and/or ages you prematurely, or totally non related, i.e. the ability to Levitate makes your hair fall out or causes your joints to ache.
3. Every player will start out with a single Object, and they shall explain how they gained possession of their Object in their first post. The Object could have been in the player’s possession for ‘years’ and the post tells about how they first obtained it or the first post could be them gaining the object at present day. If they use the Object or even keep it is completely up to them.
4. This world is modern-day Earth, so all players are human, with no special abilities beyond those granted by the Objects.
5. When posting, please capitalize the words Object, Ability and Price when they are used in regards to the Objects of the RP. This will make it easier to keep track of what’s what.
6. Objects are indestructible. They cannot be diminished or damaged in any way. a piece of chalk can be an Object, but will not leave marks on a chalk board, as the lines made would be broken pieces off of the chalk.
7. So as not to jinx the whole thing, I have not put a lot of thought into what will happen when two Objects are used together. I have determined that the secondary ability should be ‘better’ that the primary abilities, and it will not be a blend of the two original abilities, but the potency of the new Ability and the Price paid is still in the air. We will cross that bridge when we get there, I suppose.
8. During your RP’s, please keep it clean. You can have adult situations, both in violence and intimacy, but nothing over the top. It makes me uncomfortable, and no one should have to deal with it.

Let me know if you have questions or concerns, and I look forward to writing with you all!

Crain

#########################################################################

Assigned Objects/Abilities:
*Player name*............................*Selection* : *Object* - *Ability*

Crain_S...................................................................32-F: The Key-Attribute/Skill Enhancement
................................................................................44-O: The Music Box-Push
Shekinah..................................... 33-C: The Pencil-Astral Projection
YenWen..........................................9-S: The Ring-Slow Time/Increase Speed
Wakeangel.............................................................3-D: The Shot Glass-Temperature Control (thermomancy?)
UnfortunateBountyHunter.........42-R: The Tongs/Tweezers-Physical Excellence
Skull_Mech...................................24-K: The Book-Reveals
Klikxx........................................................................20-T: The Pipe-Silence
Kaitlyn Wild.............................................................4-Q: The Shoes-Sincerity.

*Note* I left the Abilities very vague; interpret then as you will. Where there is a "/" it means that they are similar enough where I didn't want to use them both, so you pick which one you want. Let me know if you need clarification or would like to discuss possibilities.

*Note 2* Once an Object/Ability has been created, it is final. If a character/player leaves, they forfeit their claim on their Object and it is up for grabs. If they come back, they can choose a new object combination, but they cannot create their own.

Last edited by Crain_S on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:12 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding Assignments)
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals) Empty Re: These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals)

Post by Shekinah Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:07 am

Okay, I'm going for 33-C Smile Also, question: can our chars be uhm like... Object 'hunters'? So, for example, if I'd write my first post in which I kinda introduce both my char and Object and how I got it, am I allowed to say that my char knew about the Objects and wanted to get a hold of one (or more, later on) no matter what the cost is? Or are these Objects discovered by coincedence?
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals) Empty Re: These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals)

Post by YenWen Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Wait, which numbers do we pick between? And which letters? Checking how many choices there are.

But I'm so excited! I've been having ideas bubbling in my head for this! <3

Edit: I'm stupid. Hm... I suppose.... 9-S would be my best suited.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeangel Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:57 pm

This looks very interesting. I'd like to join please, and if accepted I choose 3-D. ^_^

Last edited by wakeangel on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
wakeangel
wakeangel
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://www.zombycat.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:34 pm

If I'm accepted i have high hopes for R-42

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by skull_mech Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 am

Hmm... I'll pick 24-K.

The character can be of any age am I right?

skull_mech
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:17 am

I think the best way to keep track of Characters and objects is to edit and add them to the intro post, so look there for your chosen Object/Ability. (Don't forget to add your own Price!)

This leads us to the Q&A portion:

Question: can our chars be uhm like... Object 'hunters'? So, for example, if I'd write my first post in which I kinda introduce both my char and Object and how I got it, am I allowed to say that my char knew about the Objects and wanted to get a hold of one (or more, later on) no matter what the cost is? Or are these Objects discovered by coincidence?

Answer: You may choose to be aware of the objects or oblivious. You can join a faction I mentioned earlier, or create your own group and reason for seeking Objects. This is a fairly open story line, but if you have concerns, I am open for discussion or consultation.

Question: The character can be of any age am I right?

Answer: Absolutely. If they are playable, you can play them. I would avoid infants, but if you can pull it off, bravo and good luck to you.

I want to thank you all for participating, and feel free to post Profiles with pictures of your Objects. If you start not knowing how your Object works or what the Price is, you can post that information on your Object Profile. I hope no one is terribly disappointed with their results...

*****In the spirit of fairness, I thought it would better if I didn't choose my own Object. If someone could pick a combo for me, I would appreciate it.******
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 am

do you want me to pick a combo for you Crain? if you want it I'll choose
32-F
By the way, What does Physical Excellence mean? confused

Last edited by UnfortunateBountyHunter on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reasons delirious and mysterious...)

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 am

UnfortunateBountyHunter wrote:
By the way, What does Physical Excellence mean? confused

Like I said before, I left the Abilities vague so that they are open to interpretation, but what i had in mind was repair/restoration of the User's body. This object could heal wounds, but could also repair genetic faults or birth defects. Recently, it was suggested tat this Ability could also affect inanimate objects, if that was how you wanted it. If a document were burned or shredded, applying this Ability would make it like new.

Keep in mind that it can either work on the user, on other people or inanimate objects, not on everything.

Then again, if you come up with another interpretation, that would be totally fine too. It is completely up to you.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by skull_mech Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:22 am

The power to reveal is at first a form of an x-ray vision to me. To be able to see through walls or perhaps a human body. Somewhat like in the Aliens versus Predator movie where the sole surviving predator could look into the heart and artery systems of Mr.Weyland. And as cool as it would be, I thought the concept was rather simple. Even if you could see through the working engine of a car, my character wouldn't be able to know how the engine works.

And that is when it hit me. Knowledge. Can I interpret the power to reveal as the power to reveal knowledge of the item closest to it. So if whilst holding the book the item closest to my character is a screw, the book would 'reveal' doer what purpose was it crated, how, from and when the screw was created. The price to pay would be you couldn't stop how much info is being revealed. So for example the history of earth. It would damage the brain to the point of madness and maybe even death from overuse if the book where to reveal the earth's many years of existence, its many events and the creatures that roam it. You'd learn everything you want to as well as information you'd live without. Is this fine? If it is I'll start working on my Character Sheet or my first post if you'd prefer.

skull_mech
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeangel Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:03 pm

I love what I ended up with, but I'm having trouble deciding on a Price for the Ability of temperature control. Most of what I'm coming up with is either to steep a Price or lame or too light. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I'm curious, how will we all come together to interact with each other?

And finally, I'm part way through a character sketch, but is there a specific profile skeleton you wish us to use?
wakeangel
wakeangel
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Everyone should keep in mind that while the Object can have a variety of targets, the Price is always for the User. And the Price does not need to actually cost anything. It could be a mild headache to a raging, vomit-inducing migraine. It could also result in weight-gain/loss or blemishes on the skin from pinkness to full-on boils. If you want to PM some of your ideas to me, i can try to help you pin one down.

As for coming together, that is completely up to you guys. We should post our intros first, and see who would logically meet up, but keep in mind that the Objects react with each other, so bringing them together too soon will affect your character's ability to control their Object and its Abilities.

As for profiles...I don't care. If someone wants to post a frame for other people to use, that would be fine. I am most interested in the Objects, because a profile will make your character concrete, where i want them to flow. I do not want detailed profiles, because i want to meet characters in the posts. Brief descriptions of the character's personality and characteristics won't hurt, but try to stay simple.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 am

OK i went and made a basic character template for the rp, hope you like it!
Character Skeleton:

Last edited by UnfortunateBountyHunter on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 am

UnfortunateBountyHunter wrote:OK i went and made a basic character template for the rp, hope you like it!

This works for me. You personas can start posting profiles whenever you are ready.

I was going to see what you guys had in mind for characters so that I could offer a little balance with mine, but let me know if you are waiting on me. heart
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeangel Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Username: wakeangel
Name: Kate Foster
Object: Shotglass
Object Ability: Temperature control
Object Price: Fever/Chills
Appearance: Tall and slender with green eyes, black hair and fair skin. She walks tough, and can seem intimidating, but doesn't like to fight. Her left eyebrow, tongue and navel are pierced and a phoenix tattoo curls around her belly button. Her second tattoo, a recent addition is the new Hellcats logo on the small of her back.
Personality: Focused, responsible, doesn't put up with crap or fools
Background: Former party girl turned businesswoman
In Regards to Objects: Has no knowledge of other Objects

Edit: Made final updates

Last edited by wakeangel on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wakeangel
wakeangel
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Username: Crain_s
Name: Jack Hughes
Object: The Key
Object Ability: Skill Enhancement
Object Price: “Cool down” period: Severe weakness, nausea and tremors.
Appearance: Tall with dark hair and features. Solid and masculine with a perpetual 5:00 shadow.
Personality: While he is ruggedly handsome, Jack has confidence issues, never feeling quite good enough. Nerves and anxiety make him antsy, requiring him to fidget with small objects in his hands as a coping mechanism. Jack has compassion for others, but has to consider himself first; look out for #1, and then take care of anyone else.
Background: Raised in a middle-class family, Jack took a liking to music at an early age. His parents encouraged this affection, getting him to instruments and instructors as often as financially possible. Jack eventually began to play for bars and swanky restaurants to pay the bills.
In Regards to Objects: Jack belongs to a group of Seekers who try to locate and identify Objects and their Abilities. The Seekers have a small store of Objects that are not available to Jack at this time. (Will gain access to other Objects once the posting limit is met) Jack is aware of specific Objects, but their Abilities (and Price) are kept from him for his own safety.

***It seems like everyone is starting out without knowledge of their Objects, so I decided to alter my character's knowledge base. The intro still stands and my next post will catch Jack up to the present with joining the Seekers.

Last edited by Crain_S on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Knowledge of Objects adjustment)
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Username: UnfortunateBountyHunter
Name: Rieku Kagetora
Object: Tweezers
Object Ability: Physical Excellence
Object Price: Anxiety for light usage, panic attacks with heavy usage
Appearance
Personality: Very outgoing and friendly, he is perhaps the kindest cop on the force. He loves to search for clues and investigate, not jumping to conclusions but digging deeper and thinking things through. However he is lacking in charisma and strains under pressure. For him, violence is a last resort. He enjoys poetry and music but is a bad dancer.
Background: Rieku Kagetora is a 25 year-old cop who has served on the force for 2 years.
In Regards to Objects: Rieku theorizes that since this object exists, others may exist too

Last edited by UnfortunateBountyHunter on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 am

skull_mech wrote:The power to reveal is at first a form of an x-ray vision to me. To be able to see through walls or perhaps a human body. Somewhat like in the Aliens versus Predator movie where the sole surviving predator could look into the heart and artery systems of Mr.Weyland. And as cool as it would be, I thought the concept was rather simple. Even if you could see through the working engine of a car, my character wouldn't be able to know how the engine works.

And that is when it hit me. Knowledge. Can I interpret the power to reveal as the power to reveal knowledge of the item closest to it. So if whilst holding the book the item closest to my character is a screw, the book would 'reveal' doer what purpose was it crated, how, from and when the screw was created. The price to pay would be you couldn't stop how much info is being revealed. So for example the history of earth. It would damage the brain to the point of madness and maybe even death from overuse if the book where to reveal the earth's many years of existence, its many events and the creatures that roam it. You'd learn everything you want to as well as information you'd live without. Is this fine? If it is I'll start working on my Character Sheet or my first post if you'd prefer.

For crying out loud...I feel like such a Goober. Somehow, I totally missed this post! I dont think the forum is telling me when new posts are made...

Anyway, yes, this looks feasible, though i am not sure about the Price. Is this knowledge 'beamed' directly into your mind? Because this seems more like the effect of the Ability than a Price; the brain can handle only so much stimulation. I think a better Price for this sort of Ability would be the loss of information; everything you learn takes the place of something else, so you have to forget. I do not mean to pile on the negatives, but the influence for this Ability, I think, is pretty great.

All that being said, I do not see this as opposing my rules, and it has great potential for RP. If you want to keep it as is, that is great, if you want to incorporate one or more of my ideas, that is fine as well.

Just so you all know, you guys are co-owners of this RP. You have the right to contact me or other players (I expect calm, polite contacts) if you feel an Ability is too much or a Price is too low, even if it is me you have a problem with. I want this, because if I feel you are not being fair in your RP, i will be the first to contact you and try to resolve the issue.

I think i am going to get the IC started up tonight/in the morning. Maybe that will encourage the other players to get started. Awesome
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeangel Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:30 am

Awesome. Can't wait to start! I have two posts queued ahead of this one though, so my first post may take a few days.
wakeangel
wakeangel
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:24 pm

... sorry for the late reply, but I didn't get any notifications saying there had been posts made. I'm very happy with the object and ability I ended up with!

These are a few of my favorite things... (The Object Chronicals) KitakawaKeiko_DEARFRIENDS_55

Username: Shekinah
Name: Miah Fumihiko
Object:The pencil
Object Ability: Astral Projection
Object Price: Paralysis; depending on how long she's using her ability, she's not able to move when she's returned to her own body for a while.
Personality: Miah is a strong willed person with a good sense of humour. She's also very nosy, stubborn and while she may look sweet and innocent, she can be really cold and distant if she doesn't like you. Also, she's fysically stronger than she appears to be. Independent, but always willing to help.
Background: Growing up as an only child, Miah soon discovered she liked books very much. It wasn't long before she discovered her talent with words and after some time, she started to make illustrations to go with her stories. At the age of 20, she published a children's book called Simon and the miracle glasses which she had provided with illustrations herself. It sold pretty good, but it was her first and only children's book.
In Regards to Objects: She's heard rumours about the existence of other Objects, but doesn't really know anything about it.

Last edited by Shekinah on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Klikxx Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:36 pm

If you are still accepting I am game
My number is 20-T
Klikxx
Klikxx
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:23 pm

Hello, My happy friends!

First of all, Welcome Klikxx. Your Object is The Pipe with the Ability of Silence. Good luck! Make sure you read the rules before developing your Object and character.

UnfortunateBountyHunter: You need to adjust your Price; the Object can affect anything, but the Price is always centered on the User. Also, I want to make sure you are using the intended picture for your Tweezers, because I have never seen anything like that before. It is very important that the Objects look commonplace, and your picture looks like a spatula from the future.

Shekinah: Could you write in "The Pencil" next to the Object line? I want to make it easy to learn about someone's Object by reading their profile.

Great job, guys. Wonderful character/Object Sheets. I am writing and posting the IC thread right now, so I hope to see your intro's real soon.

The Object Chronicles IC

*****Post your Intro whenever you are ready.

Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeangel Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:49 am

Hunter's tweezers pic is of an antique pair. Could an Object have originated long ago?
wakeangel
wakeangel
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:12 am

Sure; Objects can be as old as you like, as long as they are not electronic. Is there a better view, maybe? If it is just me, and that is possible, then it is no big deal. I just don't see tweezers.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:28 am

Okay, I edited, hope it's okay now! Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 am

Shekinah wrote:Okay, I edited, hope it's okay now! Smile

Perfect! Thank you.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 am

Sorry I haven't been keeping up too much :< Things have been crazy in every direction. Hopefully I'll have something good up today.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm

I couldn't find a better picture, so I just made them basic tweezers. I also fixed my Price.

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

YenWen: No worries, as long as you are still planning on participating.

Unfortunate: EXCELLENT price. Nice job with the tweezers, too.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeangel Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am

Crain... Lovely first post. You moved me to tears.
wakeangel
wakeangel
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next