FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!]

4 posters

Go down

"A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!] Empty "A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!]

Post by Cypher Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Okay, so this is my first foray into an actual attempt at a setting. Bear with me here.

In the year 2020, things happened. By now, nobody remembers what exactly happened - small details like who shot first, what was used, et cetera - we only know what's left.

In late 2020, the world was enveloped in nuclear hellfire. An unknown threat by a nation that no longer exists in any political sense of the word rained bombs on the North American continent's major population centers. Given little time to evacuate, only those able to move quickly survived. Those who survived hoped that it would only be the population centers that were hit.

They were dead wrong.

Total war was fought over the course of minutes, entire cities and towns were wiped off the map the world over, leaving glass craters and barren, radioactive wastes where bustling streets and highways once stood. Again, the nomads survived and the stagnant were eliminated. The vicious cycle continued until nothing survived.

Nothing except the nomads. (And cockroaches.)

Fifty years have passed since then. The nomads still survive, driven mostly into the uncharted, unpopulated, wild places of the world where survival would be considered impossible otherwise. Those who can afford to barter take the now-necessary supplies of life - food, water, fuel - and those who can't take it by force.

In North America, though, things are different. Idealists say that maybe something, somewhere, survived the nuclear holocaust that repaved the surface of the world. Are they true? Are they lying? Only one thing's for sure: peals of thunder echo down the road from the east, and only those brave enough to ride into them will do so.

So, kind of my take on a Fallout/Mad Max/The Road mash-up. A group of nomads living on the west coast of the former United States decides that life over there is pretty much shit and things need to change. Enter some sort of deus ex machina and you have an odyssey where our characters (and some NPCs) trek across the countryside, facing battles, quarrels, famine, fatigue, et cetera, to try and find a better life on the other side.

Interested? Post here. If I get enough, maybe this'll get off the ground and an OOC'll go up.
Cypher
Cypher
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

"A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!] Empty Re: "A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!]

Post by Gadreille Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I can practically smell the wastelands...

This sounds really awesome. I can imagine a group of nomads in what's left of downtown Bakersfield Razz Just kidding...or not. Whatever!

So yea. I'm interested, if you'll have me. If you won't, I'll read it religiously Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

"A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!] Empty Re: "A Peal of Thunder" Interest Check [Post-Apocalyptic Goodness!]

Post by Cypher Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm actually kind of glad at least one person has seen interest in it Very Happy
Cypher
Cypher
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Moonseye Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Ooo! Ooo! Me! Me! Pick me! I'm interested!

I loves me some good post apoc!
Shadow Moonseye
Shadow Moonseye
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:26 pm

So what sort of technologies are we going to have access to? And what do we know about the thunder? (Haha, I'm notorious for reading the end of the book first!)
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Descent Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:45 pm

I'd be willing to join if you told me more about the thunder.

EDIT: Oh wait, unless it is meant to be a surprise for the end of the game or something...
Descent
Descent
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm

It wasn't really an end of the game surprise. "A Peal of Thunder" is meant to describe the soundwaves caused by rapid acceleration of a motor vehicle heard from far off. It's a sharp, brief note that can carry and echo for long distances, if loud enough.

Also there may be a bit of end-game surprise-y nonsense involved, but I'm saving that until (A) we reach that point, and (B) I figure out what the end-game surprise-y thing is going to be Embarassed
Cypher
Cypher
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Descent Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:35 am

Oooh I see, well despite their surprising frequency I've never actually participated in a post-apocalyptic role play before. Probably due to their frequency actually.

Well, why not? I'll give it a try.
Descent
Descent
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:05 am

I could be interested.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down