FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O Empty Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:29 pm

RP OOC Thread

There exists a world where magic is an accepted element. It is rare and special, and only those deemed pure-hearted with good intentions are granted the ability to manipulate this world- in this universe, magic is a gift of the Dragons.

For as long as anyone can remember, it has always been this way. No written or spoken history speaks of a time when Dragons did not grant human beings the ability to use magic. The belief is as old as the Dragons themselves and no one would think to seek out magic from any other source but the Dragons.

But recently there have been whispers and rumors. People are showing up with the ability to use magic who have never even seen a Dragon outside of a book. Not only can they manipulate fire and water, heal and transform as those who are Bonded to the Dragons can, but their magic is more specific, and oftentimes, more dangerous. The Dragons are creatures who are not only inherently wise, but also inherently good, whose magics focus on some universal benefit- water to help things grow, fire to clean away negative and destructive forces, transformation to move things along their natural courses, and healing to mend the broken. But un-Bonded humans who have discovered magic on their own have accessed forces that not only create and heal and clean as the Dragons' magics do, but also destroy and kill.

Magic is no longer controlled and granted by the Dragons, who always saw to gift it to those they knew would use it well. Magic has fallen into the hands of those who are more likely to abuse it, and that which encouraged humans to seek good has become unbalanced- a pure heart is no longer necessary for magic.

This is the universe that this RP will take place in. I have a vague idea for some story-moving plot that I'll introduce later on, but nothing solid, nothing set in stone- it is up to you guys to make this interesting. The world is a medieval setting with minimal advanced technology (there is no electricity, no cars, no guns, etc.). I have not named the cities or countries- I think it'll be interesting to see what you all come up with.

For the types and descriptions of Dragons, please see below. Any magic, named below or not, is free for a human to learn on their own (and how this is done will be clearer if I get to an introductory IC post). If you have questions about what kinds of magic is available, don't hesitate to ask. Nod

There are four types of Dragons in this universe:

Fire Dragons
Fire Dragons are the most common, and live in various geographical areas on the land, but are most found in warmer climate valleys or piedmont areas. They have the ability to fly and breathe fire. They are often thought to be the most ferocious species of Dragon, due to their ability to breathe fire, and their territorial nature. They are often to people with equally volatile temperaments (though these individuals aren't necessarily inherently angry or mischievous). Fire Dragons, when they Bonded to a human, grant manipulation of fire magic. Fire can be created, extinguished, and controlled by an individual who is Bonded to a Fire Dragon.

Physical description Fire Dragons are about three times the size of a large bull elephant, and are about 100 feet long from the tip of the horned snouts to the tips of their thin tails. Enormous wings protrude from between their shoulders. Their spines are ridged with blunt spikes that end about halfway down the tail. Their teeth are visible over their long lower jaws. Their golden eyes are surrounded by a bumpy crest that is somewhat melded on the crown of the head with curved, backward-sweeping horns. Their hides are very thick to protect against burns.

Water Dragons
Water Dragons are the second most commonly found Dragon in this universe. As their name suggests, they live in the water, and unlike other Dragons, cannot fly. Unlike the Fire Dragons, the Water Dragons possess a much calmer nature, though they are anything but tame. They are more likely to question another's presence in their territory than they are to attack without question, though, if they feel threatened, they will become vicious in self-defense. Water Dragons are drawn to introspective individuals more than anything, and grant their Bonded manipulation of water magic. Water cannot be summoned or vanished as fire can with fire magic, but it can be gathered or scattered (that is to say, moisture can be pulled from surrounding objects and gathered into one place, or simply for the sake of making something very dry), frozen or melted, and manipulated in creative ways when used in conjunction with fire magic (evaporated and controlled, etc.).

Physical description Water Dragons' bodies are most like an eel's: long and streamlined for moving agilely through water. They do not have wings because they do not fly. Instead of four legs, they have two powerful front arms with webbed claws that they use for capturing prey and for hoisting themselves up on land (they are slightly amphibious, like alligators or crocodiles). Their snouts are blunt, similar to an eel's, and their eyes are deep black with a protective clear eyelid that gives the appearance that they never blink. They have four back-swept horns on the tops of their heads, two that are very long placed directly behind two very short protrusions. Short, serrated teeth poke out from their top lips and over their lower jaws. Water Dragons are found in shades of beige and tan, and light gray or light blue, depending on the water source, and vary in length between 80 and 150 feet from tip to tip.

Sun Dragons
Sun Dragons are one of the two rarest types of Dragon, but are scattered throughout the world (they can live in mountains or valleys, forests). They are said to have been born out of the Sun itself, and gifted with powerful healing magic. Unlike the previously mentioned species of Dragon, Sun Dragons are comprised entirely of males. They are strong and fiercely proud, and often Bond themselves to similar humans (males or females). They gift their humans with healing magic that can be used on living organisms only, to fix injuries or wounds, or ease the suffering associated with illness (it has been said that on occasion a Sun Dragon himself has cured a human of a terminal illness). There are some that believe Sun Dragon magic is slightly creative, in that it creates new living material in the place of damaged or missing living material. For this reason, women often seek out Sun Dragons to help with reproductive issues.

Physical description Contrary to what may be intuitive about colors associated with the sun, Sun Dragons are not white or gold or orange. Sun Dragons are a deep, earthy brown, almost black. They stand with a confident posture, often with their wings held up and partly opened, their heads held high on serpentine necks. They have a crown of horns tilting backward on the tops of their heads, giving them a more kingly appearance. Their tails are smooth except for the very end, where a scaled fin splits in two at the tip. Whereas the other Dragons have a row of teeth visible from the upper lips, Sun Dragons' teeth are hidden, except for two long fangs at the very end of their mouths. Sun Dragons are about 150 feet in length from tip to tip.

Moon Dragons
Moon Dragons are as rare as Sun Dragons, and similar to the Sun Dragons, are comprised of a single sex: female. Moon Dragons are an interesting species, because they are as territorial as the Fire Dragons, but as introspective, and can appear as tame, as the Water Dragons. They are wary of humans, and with good reason: they bear the young of both the Moon and Sun Dragons, and both populations of species depend on the Moon Dragons. Moon Dragons rarely Bond themselves to humans, and there is much speculation as to why this is: some theorize that it's for the sake and safety of their young (it would be too risky to have a human regularly coming around when there was an egg nearby); others theorize that it's because humans rarely meet the high standards a Moon Dragon looks for in a human being on whom they wish to bestow their powers. Moon Dragons grant transformative magic, which can be considered more powerful than the other three, as it can be used to change something into another thing. Those with a greedy heart often envy those blessed enough to be Bonded to a Moon Dragon, for there is nothing they'd like more than to be able to change all of their possessions into rich valuables or treasures. Moon Dragons are often sought after by women who are pregnant, sometimes the same women who have sought out (and possibly found) a Sun Dragon, in order to have the transformative protection of the mother of both the Sun and Moon Dragons, and the granter of transformative magic. Moon Dragons are the symbol of spiritual transformation, and are located wherever Sun Dragons are found.

Physical description Moon Dragons are slightly smaller than their male counterparts, but otherwise have the same appearance, but in a pale blue-gray.

Moon Dragon legend
There is a belief among some that Moon Dragons possess the ability to take on a human form, by virtue of their gift of transformative magic alone. Part of the legend claims that if a Moon Dragon has a particularly strong Bond with a human male, she will take on a human form and become his wife, but that once their marriage has been consummated, he becomes a Sun Dragon, and she reverts to her natural form. There are two variations of this, however: a Moon Dragon cannot revert back to her Dragon form until she conceives and delivers a half-Dragon offspring in her human form; or a Moon Dragon will become pregnant, and lay an egg that hatches a Moon Dragon (this is part of the origin legend of the Moon Dragon: that a Sun Dragon fell in love with his Bonded human, and through his healing her barrenness, she conceived a daughter who, because of the Sun Dragon's healing, was half-Dragon: the Mother of all Moon Dragons).

To date, no one has been able to confirm that Moon Dragons take on a human form.

I do not require a profile for you to join- I would like to meet everyone's characters the way they'll be meeting each other (if they all ever meet, that is). Just let me know if you'd like to join, and once I say yes, you can go ahead and post.

Also, I'm hoping for variety- I don't want everyone to be able to use magic right off the bat, and I don't want everyone able to use the same kind of magic. I'll probably have a list up here or somewhere so you can see what's taken and what's still available to make sure we get some variety.

And that's that. If I think of anything else, I'll let you guys know. Nod

Last edited by vitamin_kitten on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O Empty Re: Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O

Post by Lara Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Dragon Riders? Very Happy Or just dragons?
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O Empty Re: Nameless Dragon RP- now with PLOT :O

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Well, I don't know anything about the Dragon Riders of Pern (if that's what you're referencing), so I was kinda hoping something original. But there can be people who ride dragons. 8D
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Yeah, I don't really know anything about that either, so no, it wasn't a reference. :p

I was in a roleplay once that involved people bonding with infant dragons, and having to deal with them growing up and stuff. It was pretty fun.

So you have no specifics about this at all, no direction you're leaning in?
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Nope, not really. Smile The only thing I was hoping for was perhaps certain people being closer to dragons than others, like it being a special talent or skill or something.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Hmm... This does sound fun. Smile Even if it's vague right now. Haha, maybe I'll just toss a bunch of questions out there and see where the answers take this?

Would dragons be 'common' in the world (common meaning, people don't freak out when they see one or hear of one being nearby, but they don't exactly go up and say hello, either)?

The people who are closer to them, would they be treated any differently than people who aren't? (Not necessarily talking about feared here, for the record.)

Maybe some of these people would be willing to just be friends with the dragons, but I'll bet others might try to exploit their 'skill'. If enough people tried to take advantage of them, the dragons might go off and seclude themselves, or refuse to see people, or it might spark some sort of fighting between the dragons and the people, with those having the 'skill' torn between sides...

Tossing things out there.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Right, right. Good questions- my creative juices are flowing. ^o^

Here's what I'm thinking:

Dragons are common, but only in certain areas/places. They're respected because they're magnificent creatures, and also dangerous if you don't know how to approach/interact with them. The people that know how are also respected, because understanding dragons is, like I said before, a gift, a talent. They might be treated differently, just because it might be beneficial to have an in with someone who knows how to work with dragons, but not necessarily.

I also was batting around the concept that dragons are sentient, but still considered animals, and that they actually choose the humans they wish to befriend, and that, once they've chosen a human, the two are somewhat bonded for life.

I also thought it might be a cool idea to have people that can either become dragons, or in some way have dragon blood within them. Or something. I don't know.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:11 pm

I think it would be quite awesome, the whole 'bonded for life' deal. Could cause strife among 'talented' humans if their friend becomes bonded and not them, but not too much, I'd say. I do like the general idea, though~.

Dragon blood might be a bit tricky to pull off; same goes for transforming, though perhaps not as much. I think there are a few possibilities for that idea, though:

-A human (either bonded with a dragon, or simply 'talented', since I don't think the dragons would do something like this lightly) is injured to the point of near death, and a dragon gives them something like a blood transfusion (though it'd be more of making a cut and putting it over the wound; something like phoenix tears). That could probably give them some sort of ability if you're going for that sort of angle; otherwise, it might just give them extended life, or something similar to that, if anything at all.
-A dragon uses some sort of draconic ability that humans don't tend to know about, which would grant the human they're targeting some sort of ability.

In general, I'd say that the dragons would have to be the one to grant any sort of ability like that to the humans, and there'd probably not be any way to force them to give the gift. It might be especially difficult for a human to actual become a dragon -- perhaps for that, a dragon would have to die, or something. Like, an ancient dragon could choose to give the human the ability, and would in the process give up its body for the human to transform into. Or a human would have to kill a dragon in order to get it, which would have some 'evil' humans targeting infant dragons, or something.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Right right. I'm not terribly attached to the idea of transformation or anything like that. It just popped into my head.

Perhaps the people that become bonded to a dragon would not only gain the protection of the dragon (could be useful, right?), but also certain magics and abilities to manipulate fire or water (since I'm thinking that these could be two types of dragons), or maybe gain healing abilities (from a very rare dragon?).
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 am

Yeah, there probably are multiple types of dragons out there. Fire, most definitely, from land based, water, from sea based... There could even be wind, from air based, if you wanted to go that route (I couldn't tell if you were suggesting just the two types). I'm sure healing could be possible, since the dragons probably have magic beyond our comprehension, even if they don't care to show it to the humans. :p

Any ideas on what kind of plot you'd be interested in, outside of the general dragon concept?
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:34 am

Wow, this sounds really interesting! If this RP idea gets going, I'll definitely get involved. It's interesting that you should bring up the idea of people transforming into dragons. I've actually been working on a plot for a book series about a race of humans with that ability. I'm at a bit of a standstill right now, but I've got most of their history and the origin of their race pretty much figured out. That kind of concept might be hard to pull off in an RP, but I'm liking the ideas that are currently being tossed around.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:19 am

@Lara: I'm thinking the fire-magic-wielding/granting dragons would be land-based (volcanoes pop into mind for some reason), and then the water-magic-wielding/granting dragons would be sea/ocean based, and wouldn't be able to breathe fire (I'm not sure if they would just "breathe water" or nothing at all, but would be slightly more fierce than their land- and air-based counterparts). Essentially, there'd only be the two types of magic, with the healing ones being rare and mostly based in legend (like there'd be debate as to whether or not such dragons existed at all).

Right now, I still haven't got any plot ideas. Neutral

@SilvanArrow: You'll be more than welcome into the RP, if I ever get a plot idea. 8D Feel free to brainstorm with us if you have any specifics you'd like to see in an RP like this. Smile
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 am

Not sure how much time I'll have free to brainstorm ideas, but let me suggest a couple of alternate you could take with the dragons, if you like. Fire-magic dragons could be the fiercest kind of dragons, since fire is often associated with destruction, and that it would take someone who is exceptionally strong-willed to form a bond with one. Water-magic dragons could be associated with healing, since water is the source of all life. Depending on how many different kinds of dragons you want, you could have wind-based dragons that are exceptionally fast and agile in the air or earth-based dragons that can't fly but are the largest and most heavily armored.

If you don't want to go the route of water-based dragons as healers, you could go this route, though it may be way too cliche. There could be light-based dragons that specialize in healing and some light-based offensive spells, but they are so rare that people think they are extinct. Only people with exceptionally compassionate and pure spirits can bond with these dragons. Equally rare are their opposing counterparts, dark-based dragons that are more offensively inclined and are known for their heightened intelligence and use of logic. Dark-based dragons aren't overtly evil, but people who have bonded with them in the past were able to twist and corrupt their minds and use them as weapons in war.

And that ends my little digression. I just wrote this on the fly, so some of it may be crap. Feel free to take or leave any of these ideas.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Ooh, I do like the idea of the light-based dragons being the source of healing magic- perhaps they actually live in the sun?? :O

I'm thinking the dragons themselves wouldn't be evil- just dangerous like any carnivore is dangerous, and that they wouldn't bond with someone they didn't believe had pure intentions from the start. Because I'm thinking that it would be less a control thing (the people wouldn't control the dragons or the other way around), and more of a symbiotic relationship (the dragons can choose to do a human's bidding if they deem it acceptable and good-natured), I'm not sure if there would be a way for a person to necessarily corrupt a dragon's mind. But that could be a plot thing- dragons (or a dragon) have/has been seen doing something very uncharacteristic for a dragon and there are suspicions that someone has somehow coerced it into going against its purer nature? Maybe?
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Would the light idea mean that the healing abilities might work like solar power? o: I think that could be a really interesting concept.

And I wouldn't say corrupt, but I'm sure an extremely manipulative person might be able to convince a dragon to do 'evil' deeds by making them sound better than they are. Then the dragon might not even think it's doing anything wrong.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Ooh, true true.

And yeah, healing working like solar power- like, the person's ability to heal themselves would work with just a little bit of natural sunlight, but would require more sunlight- more direct sunlight- to heal others (depending on who/what they were healing and the nature of the injury/ailment).

Oh snap, I just got another idea.

There could be moon-based magic and sun-based magic, each type working better depending on the time of day/year, whether there was an eclipse, that sort of thing. So technically, you could have the fired-based flying and land dragons that grant fire-magic, the water-based sea dragons that grant water- and ice-magic (depending on the geographical location of the granting dragon), and then two others: moon dragons that grant one type of healing-magic and sun dragons that grant another. One wouldn't necessarily be more good or evil than the other, either. Hmm ....

Or! The sun dragons could grant healing magic while the moon dragons could grant transformative magic.

Man, my creative juices are really flowing now~~~~ 8DDDD
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Transformative? So, like werewolves (metaphorically speaking; I'm just talking about things that can transform at night)? Very Happy

I like the sound of the sun- and moon- based magic, frankly. And humans can only bond with one type of dragon, and maybe once they've bonded, even if something happens to the dragon, or they lose their bond, they can never bond with another type of dragon? That could certainly lead people to trek off in an attempt to befriend another similar type of dragon...
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Hmmmm...

What if, say, someone actually wished to RP a dragon instead? And if the dragons are both sentient and intelligent, what if there were, say, political intrigue between the dragon and human worlds, for power, resources, control of land and liveable spaces?

And, what if the dragons could take human form?
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:39 pm

@Lara: What I mean for the transformative magic is more an ability to change other things (see, it's slightly related to healing magic, which is the ability to change something from a damaged state to a non-damaged state). The phases of the moon could have an effect on the strength of one's ability, just as the times of day could have an effect on one's healing abilities.

@Igraine: Political intrigue, huh? I'm not so good with politics (cuz I just don't understand them, so I try to leave them out as often as possible ^^; ), but I could kinda see that. Especially if dragons could take a human form.

Of course, that opens up all sorts of possibilities for humans and dragons to procreate, and that leads to a whole new set of ideas.

Unless it was just the moon dragons that could take a human form, due to their transformative magic (and I could see them being the most sought after for their abilities to create treasure from junk). Moon dragons could also be conjunctively mysterious beside the sun dragons- where does one type go when the time of day changes- until you realize that moon dragons and sun dragons are actually the same, and that, due to the inherent transformative nature of the moon (-magic?), they actually transform form one type to another. Though that might get complicated.

Um ... it would be interesting (and possibly slightly cliche) if all moon dragons were females and all sun dragons were males, though I'm not sure how they'd reproduce then, unless they mated with each other and it was just sort of left to chance which type was the result of a coupling. Unless there were ways to control it (in which case you'd have situations of dragon egg-stealing in hopes of hatching a certain type and getting it to bond with you based solely on the fact that you raised it).

Possible plot idea with this: evil/greedy monarch/person attempts to steal the egg of a moon dragon (since, if we're going with the all moon dragons are females, it would be the moon dragons that lay them), and by whatever things they feel cause the eggs to hatch into other moon dragons, attempts to gain the allegiance of a moon dragon in order to gain riches and become powerful. There would have to be other things surrounding this of course, in order for there to be real plot, but it's a start.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:49 pm

I think that sort of plot idea could work very well. I'm a bit confused by one of the things you wrote out - are you saying that moon and sun dragons would be the same dragon, just called different things based on the time of day (and thought to be different types)? 'cause that's what I was reading from it, and it could kind of be interesting in itself if that was the case.

That way, even if said evil/greedy monarch/person stole the egg, chances would be he'd have no idea that it could end up a sun dragon if it hatched during the day, haha.

If we went with that, there should totally be a character that ended up stealing the egg from the monarch / someone who the dragon bonded with after refusing to bond with said monarch. And then there could be characters already bonded with other dragons who are trying to take back the egg before it hatches (or the baby dragon before it bonds) and return it to the mother... And of course, people protecting the monarch / egg. Etc.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:04 am

As for the sun/moon dragon being the same: yes, that's exactly it.

But we could just go with them actually being two separate types, but one is all males and the other is all females, and the eggs could be either, depending on how/when it hatches (and there would be different myths and such, because moon dragons are ridiculously maternal and fiercely protective of their eggs, so no one ever sees them, let alone gets their hands on one (I just made this all up now XD)). So the evil/greedy monarch/person could have an entire collection of moon dragon eggs that he's/she's hoping will hatch into moon dragons- and the ones that haven't in the past or don't now .... well, I'm sure nothing good happens to them. Sad

Now what of the dragons already bonded to a person? What of their eggs? I'm sure there's a black market for dragon eggs of all kinds.

This is getting so interesting. 8D
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:16 am

I like what you suggested about moon/sun dragons eggs depending on how/when they hatch. What if the dragon's type depends on the time of day that it hatches? Let's say the mother (the moon dragon) keeps her eggs in some sort of dark cave/lair until the babies are fully grown and ready to hatch. Then she exposes them either to sunlight or moonlight to make them hatch into either sun or moon dragons, respectively. The moon dragons carefully regulate the number of sun and moon hatchlings so that there is an equal number of each to maintain a balance of power. As a result, moon dragon mothers are fiercely protective of their eggs, and no human has ever gotten his/her hands on one.

Until now...

Maybe this evil monarch person is trying to steal the moon dragon egg (or eggs) to hatch them into one type or the other to create an army, but he ends up disrupting the balance between the sun and moon dragons and, in turn, the sun and moon themselves. Ooh! Idea! Each type of dragon could be attuned to a particular force of nature and be essential to the survival of life itself. For example, fire dragons use their magic to bring warmth during the spring and summer, when crops are growing. Earth dragons could influence the soil's fertility. Water dragons could control rainfall and the cleanliness of water. However, I think this kind of magic should be more instinctual, something the dragons do but aren't aware of it or fully able to control. It's simply the fact that they exist (and perhaps bonding with humans helps them release this magic?) that allows all this to happen.

Okay, that's all I got for now. This is shaping up to be a really interesting RP!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:25 am

I can't really see anyone having a whole mass of eggs, since I think it'd be super difficult to get even one, let alone a bunch. But I do think that if enough lives were sacrificed by the greedy monarch (who probably promised more gold than the egg was worth to whomever brought him the egg), they could have managed to get one.

I like the idea of the element attuned business. I'm sure if the idea of nature being unbalanced by the birth/bonding was at hand, the bonded dragons would be more desperate to get it back (though I'm sure they'd want it back anyway, just because they didn't give the egg to him).

I also like the idea of the eggs having to be exposed to sunlight/moonlight in order to be born as a sun or moon dragon. And this information probably wouldn't be widespread, either.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 am

I do like your idea about the dragons themselves regulating the population for moon and sun dragons, and that it's a very delicate process for sun and moon dragons to be born. Not sure about them controlling various aspects of nature though. However, they could be the source of all magic (I guess that was kind of the assumption anyway), and the fact that magic exists could be an integral part of life in this world- something that even the people who don't use magic need without realizing it.

Hmm, that's an idea that needs more fleshing out.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 am

Well, I'm sure that the people know that the dragons are the source of all magic. It's probably been passed down in legends and lore, which is probably why the first people went to seek out the dragons in the first place -- to see if it was true. There was probably a scholarly person who honestly wanted to learn more about the dragons and their magic and way of life, just for knowledge's sake, and one lone dragon probably saw how pure his intentions were and, after befriending him, decided to show him one of the dragon's greatest abilities. Other dragons, given time, may have found similar people and chose to do the same.

And magic can be a part of a lot of things, which would explain why everyone treasures it and respects/is in awe of the dragons. Everything that grows, all the plants and trees, everything that is given life, etc. The water that comes from the springs - I'm sure there are common people somewhere who have some sort of celebration for a water-type dragon, thinking that's why their water is so clear or something. That sort of thing.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 am

A dragon RP with a bunch of females? Hawt!

Err... Ahem...

Just wanted to express my interest, and to throw my two cents in.

In a traditional sense, dragons are sentient, intelligent beings. They are able to communicate with the lower races (meaning humans) telepathically, speaking directly into our minds. They also have their own language, which we can not understand.

In addition, traditionally dragons possess the ability to take human form, this allows for human/dragon half breeds, though these are very rare indeed. A dragon would rarely assume human form, unless they were trying to deceive or influence a human to their own ends.

That's just old dragon lore, feel free to ignore it.

Also, dragons usually have one eggs per mating. This make for a low number of dragons. Their numbers usually decrease, rather than increase because of this. The 'one egg per season' thing, would make a stolen egg much more disastrous for a dragon. And human caught stealing an egg would be boiled in dragon fire.

---

That's my thoughts. I wanna do this RP.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 am

Those are some really good points about dragon lore. And keep in mind that I was throwing together those ideas last night rather haphazardly, so sorry if some of them were a little far-fetched XP. Now that I think about it, it probably makes more sense for dragons to only have a few eggs and not have a bunch lying around. Anyway, I've got a couple more thoughts that are (hopefully!) a little more cohesive. The way I'm seeing it, the dragons are the source of all magic in this RP world, and magic is what enables life to exist. It's basically what Lara was saying. I also like Diodri-Setera's idea of having human/dragon half-breeds. Maybe they could have some important role in the plot?

I have some more ideas about the different types of dragons and their magic floating around in my head that are just begging to be written. If you all like, I would be happy to write them out when I get off work and post them just so we have something to build from.

*dashes off to day job*
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Okay, I'm going to edit in some of the stuff we've got that I'd really want to incorporate into an RP into my first post, just so it's organized and all that. Smile

EDIT Okay, so, I've got up all the information about the Dragons in this universe. No plot as of yet, but feel free to suggest one based on the posted information. Nod
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:55 pm

I really like all the thought put into the dragon descriptions!

Do you think it's possible for a dragon to Bond to a human who doesn't want the bond / isn't seeking it out? I think it'd be kinda funny if someone like that bonded with, say, a Moon Dragon.

I'm not too sure about plots yet, but I'll definitely keep thinking!
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 pm

I really like the descriptions of the dragons! Have you thought about including other kinds of dragons? My muse has been bugging me nonstop, and I've been tossing around/writing out ideas for air, ice, and earth dragons. Sadly, plot creation isn't my strong point, but I'll keep thinking as well!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next