FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP.

3 posters

Go down

The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP. Empty The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:32 pm

The essential gist of this is that the characters, for whatever reason, signed some sort of contract for employment on their respective home planes (generally a prime, more fun that way.)

Upon signing the contract, which is utterly misleading and all small print (damned baatezu solicitors) they start to walk away from the office they find the world begins to swirl and blur around them, and they form into something of a tunnel; they are pushed forward into the 'gray' and eventually emerge at a door. It is an alien door, made of a greenish metal, with a huge leering gargoyle's face upon it, with spikes, and blades. They open the door and find themselves in the hallway.

Voila, they arrive at the Astral Voyager, a ship infamous for never actually going anywhere until it randomly teleports to another location on the inner or outer planes. And your character is marooned on it, with a sanctimonious Aasimar paladin and a seething Tiefling mercenary who is bitter because he's cooped up with the Aasimar.

Welcome to the party.

--

Rules:

1. No planar characters; everyone comes from the prime material plane. I want 'clueless' (a word for newcomers to the planes) on this trip.

2. It's best if you don't read planescape if you don't know planescape already; it's more fun for you to be utterly, totally taken off your feet a bit.

3. Retain your sense of humor. The setting itself is a study of polar extremes meeting together in paradoxical ways. You'll go with the flow better if you try to keep an adaptable mindset and look for ways to exploit a situation beyond the obvious. The Planes are a very dangerous and inscrutable place, with layers upon layers of secrets and surprises. Not all is ever as it seems, and the place has a tendency to turn people's perceptions upside down.

4. Don't sweat and pore over this too hard, this isn't some sort of harshly stringent entrance examination.

Name:
Race: <Anything exotic, we'll handle on a case by case basis.>
Class: < In a general sense, try to convey what your character does in D&D terms; I know some people don't like to bring D&D-ish categorization, but it is a good rule of thumb that helps us determine strengths and weaknesses for characters.>

Abilities: <Anything special not covered by the 'class' category. Particularly as applies to specific types of knowledge, favored weapons, instruments, lore, and so forth.>

Appearance: <You can be general and save your best stuff for the RP>

Personality: <Planescape RP often revolves more around character quirks and flaws, so a good Planescape character isn't some perfect paladin (and we have that role covered by an NPC.) So don't be afraid to go way off the beaten path a bit and go for weird.>

History: <This is more to determine the character's personality and motivations on the basis of their experience. Characters should have a bit of a background, but not too much (like mid-level adventurers) No planar travel, please. If possible, concentrate on this more than anything else in the character sheet, because it can provide some useful plot hooks down the road.>

Equipment: <One magical item allowed, the rest of the stuff is to be mundane. Choose well, nothing overly powerful. As an alternative, one can have an animal companion of some sort (horses aren't going to be terribly useful here, but...) that is strictly mundane. First come, first serve on the animal companion. Feel free to list things they don't necessarily carry on them, as well. The sort of stuff they'd keep at home.>

Back to top Go down

The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP. Empty Re: The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP.

Post by Eternity Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm in. Give me a few to throw up a character.
Quick question. D&D terms, geez. I must be the biggest loser, because I don't know this quite well.
Can you elaborate?
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP. Empty Re: The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Hmm. This is pretty useful for an explanation. You use the name of the class, I'll understand the capabilities. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 pm

I have an old friend (the guy playing the paladin) to help me run this one; we did this campaign together once, and we'll be collaborating again on this one.

Don't sweat not being immediately familiar with this stuff, because it'll actually be more fun for people who are new to this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Can I have an alien race? I am thoroughly explaining it in my character sheet, and have given plenty of weaknesses to it as well as strengths to make it interesting as well.
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 pm

NOW I've never even HEARD of Planescape, so I'm totally oblivious as to what you want. I hope you won't mind me making a humanoid race, and if you don't like my character, I can very easily simplify it. You said you were looking for a taste of humor here, and I'm gonna' try my best to make a very pliable character for your idea. I hope this works.. XD

Ignore the weird snaky things around her.

The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP. Alien

Name: Zinobi "Zin" Enti'tua
Race: Raile

WTF is a RAILE?: (Railean/Railes<-- other forms of the race)
-Raile's appear humanoid on the outside, but are quiet different. First off, they have three brain lobes, one purely dedicated to EM conduction and connection, allowing great psychic ability. The ability they contain is between telekinesis, telepathy, post-cognition, etc.etc. But not all abilities are held by each Raile. They have slanted ears that pull back in diagonal points that hold a small fluid gland that releases deep inside the ear to balance fluids within the skull to maintain balance in quick or motion-filled situations. Their hair manages to change color. Being so near their brains, a lot of times the EM waves given off by their moods can change their hair color, making their hair much like a visual mood indicator. Their eyes have five-point pupils. This appears like five small thin ovals that seem to stand around one small point in the iris, much like flower petals perhaps. When they are fully dilated, the eye itself changes shape into a round-edged star, which is when the pupil presses the edges of the iris ring, and causes the eye to spread. They otherwise have horrible senses of smell, and aren't very well spoken. They have long tongues, and usually can taste the air, but this has nothing to do with their reason for being timid in speech. That is just something they find quite superfluous, especially being telepaths (the most of them at least). Women tend to fight for domination here, because women have the stronger psychic power; but men have most of the strength. So you better believe the Raileans prove as a very interesting race to watch in a domestic violence case.

Class: (In D and D terms, that I looked up on Wikipedia because I'm such a failure at life.)
-Psychic Warrior:
~Strengths- physically adept for fighting, but not a paladin
~Weaknesses- Has/maintains psychic abilities, but can uses them at a slower rate than actual Psions.
(lol.)

Abilities:
-Psi Powers:
~Telepathic: Can convey thoughts, and can reach into people's minds. BUT she can only reach into a mind if they stare into her eyes, and her pupils are dilated, creating a straight pathway for thought
~Telekinetic: She can lift and manipulate anything, as long as it is beneath her own body weight of 136 lbs. Anything larger than herself she can maybe ''push'' or put force to, but whether or not it will move is highly unlikely.
~Auric Sight: Zinobi can see other peoples auras. Usually, she ignores this power. The only time she cannot ignore it is in the presence of someone truly ''bad'', because all the black that would blot their aura would block her actual vision of them.
-Balance:
~Due to the fluid glands in her ear tips, she can (in a fight or such) produce flips or hasty movements within a human speed and not lose her balance. This also allows her to be extremely graceful when it comes to moving over thin objects or edges. The downfall of this is when a shake occurs, or she falls down, her ears create this fluid and it can overdose, making her feel like she is underwater and upside-down.

Appearance: (Picture above) Zinobi is a feminine appearing creature. She stands about 5'5 and is slender. Her skin is a smooth peachy tone, though at times appears a more orange/pink tone. Her body is marked by smooth muscles, and a tattoo along her neck to mark her fasaot's family, fasoat being the Raile term for "mother". She has full lips that are a mauve color, high cheek bones, beneath eyes the color of a ripe kiwi slice. Her hair is somewhat short, falling shaggy around her ears and neck, and changing color with her mood. Though most of the time, her hair is a deep regal tone of purple/silver. Sometimes it changes brightly, or quickly, which usually is a mark of her most obvious paranoia.

Personality: Zinobi is social, but not too much so. She doesn't talk much, unless it's done mentally. She is one of those few people who is not curious at all. She really doesn't care what you're thinking unless she's having one of her ''fits'', and she doesn't care what your aura could tell her about your mood. She doesn't really acknowledge her abilities unless it suits her. Zinobi does however seem to care about others. Her fasoat taught her great things about caring, so she has a tendency to nurture children and the weak. The strong, however, she treats as equals who must earn her respect before they are given it. Otherwise, she has her periods of time where she prefers to be alone. She likes to be analytical of her own path, always observing her own options. Even then, she suffers from a childhood paranoia that causes her to change emotions rapidly. You see, Zinobi thinks that she is being watched...

History: Zinobi grew up somewhat normally (which is not too far from human ''childhood''). She went up until her changing period, where she began to change from a little yellow child into a woman, which only takes a year for Raileans (age 16, they shift into adults). At 17, she began to gain her power, and as well something else. A stalker named Koan who was madly in love with her. She finally rejected him, and his love became infallible. He followed her constantly, until finally he committed suicide. Ever since, Zin expects him to be watching, but now that he is gone, she knows he isn't. But someone must be, right? She has the most extreme paranoia. She feels like eyes are in all places and haunt her every day. Sometimes if she catches people staring at her, it can result in an instant conflict. Now, she simply travels about seeking some way away from her family and home, trying to do or make something of herself... And get rid of her annoying phobia.

Equipment:
Animal:
~Watcher: Watcher is a a long chameleon from a human friend she once had. He is a loyal pet to her, and a friend. But more so, he is her guard and her safe keeper. She calls him Watcher for a reason. With this lizard around, she feels as though no one is watching her. And as well, she gets Watcher to... well... watch people. It serves her some good whenever her curiosity does tend to flare up.
-2 Titanium-bound whips. The handles are wrapped in leather, but the whip itself is a set of very tiny titanium columns.
-1 box of band-aids, which has eluded her concept-wise. So far they are just sticky gauze, that tend to work well as tape in simple snags. Damned human inventions...
-1 ring on her left hand that is made with a strange black stone that looks much like onyx. It was her fasoat's.
-1 small metal case of cigarettes (containing about 10), which she has found are great for starting up conversations with humans.
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Okay, that works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks Heysuess, I wasn't sure if I crossed the line with her. I just get bored, and when I'm bored, it's just down right unhealthy. XD
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesteven Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:52 am

OK, this character should suffice.
*Updated

Name: Garter Rumcorn

Race: Human

Class: Wizard

Abilities: In addition to the standard knowledge of spellcraft and lore, Rumcorn is a skilled mathematician and geometer, and his time spent studying business gives him some skill at forgery and bluffing vs bureaucracies.

Appearance: Despite being in his late 30s, he has thin grey hair, and is easily mistaken for being much older. He wears small, round glasses, and an odd mixture of clothes, having no sense of style whatsoever.

Personality: Garter likes numbers, and is never happier than when rearranging them. Unfortunately, his mathematical concerns blind him to other subtleties of existence, such as behaving appropriately around others and remembering to eat. He's not entirely oblivious, but usually finds such things more of a curiosity than something to worry himself with. He can converse normally with others, but the conversation bores him intolerably unless it has at least some relevance to his current project. True neutral with lawful tendencies.

History: Born to commoner parents, it was clear from an early age that Rumcorn would not take after them. He began constructing simple pulley-and-lever systems before he could walk, and spent much of his early childhood on pursuits such as counting the number of raindrops that fell in a square meter over one minute. Deciding he deserved better, his parents scraped together the money to enroll him in an accountancy training academy.
Rumcorn initially took to his studies with great interest, but found the current methods inefficient and began to formulate theoretical accountancy procedures that required 7 dimensions to operate. His professors promptly declared him unfit to be taught, discharging him from the academy without completing his course. His theories however caught the eye of an eccentric wizard, who trained him in the arcane arts in exchange for bookkeeping services. Rumcorn never lost his mathematical bent however, and now sees the universe as a balance sheet waiting to be organized.

Equipment: Various bits and pieces of mathematical apparatus including pens and paper, a ruler, pairs of compasses, string, and so on. He also has a variety of books, both magical and non-magical, although very little in the way of fiction.
He's followed by a raven which is generally assumed to be his familiar, even though for the most part he ignores the thing entirely, and it shows an ambivalent attitude to him at best.

Last edited by Kesteven on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
Kesteven
Kesteven
Shadow
Shadow

http://www.dissoluteproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Emptor Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm wondering if multiclassing is allowed since I could just be taking this a bit too literally in the D&D aspect but I tend to like characters who aren't limited by weapons but can take another person out with stealth.Also on my list of taking the D&D part a bit too deeply,what edition is this going to be?
Emptor
Emptor
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Kesteven wrote:Name: Garter Rumcorn

Race: Human

Class: Expert (Accountant)

I gotta admit, I don't think this character will be able to pull it off and a straight accountant is not really a viable adventuring option. It's like sticking an MBA in the middle of a civil war in Sierra Leone. It's too shambolic and chaotic for him to function, if he even has a gun he doesn't know how to fire it and odds are he'll get eaten by the natives.

The outer planes are rough, after all. By rough, I mean that there are thousands, if not millions, of different types of beings and the majority of them consider humans prey.

Emptor wrote:I'm wondering if multiclassing is allowed since I could just be taking this a bit too literally in the D&D aspect but I tend to like characters who aren't limited by weapons but can take another person out with stealth.Also on my list of taking the D&D part a bit too deeply,what edition is this going to be?

Don't take it so seriously. I was mostly using D&D as an example, not as a ruleset. People should try to work with D&D races and D&D classes as the fundamental starting point for their characters, working, in general, with the restraints and abilities that the classes involve.

Don't take it too literally and, sure, multiclass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesteven Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Well, I certainly wouldn't dare such a character in an actual d&d campaign but I figured there might be more flexibility in the context of a humorous narrative. I admit that realistically he'd be sausagemeat in a matter of days but I didn't think realism was a priority.
If you like though I'll scale the character back to a more traditional adventurer, wizard I guess since that's where I was going to take it later anyway.
Kesteven
Kesteven
Shadow
Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:02 pm

I think that's for the best. Planescape is humorous. However, the humor is dark. I'm sure one can appreciate that dark humor includes a pretty large capacity for violence and brutality. But it's not particularly forgiving. I mean, there are planes out there composed of razor blades slicing through the air, and others where huge armies of demons go at it enthusiastically, not to mention that the places where one thinks they might be safe have a type of danger all of their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:41 am

This looks so kewl <3
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesteven Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:48 am

Point taken, I'm not about to argue with someone telling me my character should be more badass.

Okay, upgraded to accountant thaumaturge, see above.
Kesteven
Kesteven
Shadow
Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Emptor Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:58 am

((I'll finish it,I swear.))

Name:Albin Respel

Race:Chlewkopsawn

Class:A Sorceror multiclassing as an assassin.

Abilities:Albin is an amazing mage of unparalleled strength,his powers include mental blocks that stop

Appearance:The Astral Voyager, a Planescape-inspired humorous-fantasy RP. Chaos_Mage_by_Sergon

Personality:

History:Albin being a Chlewkopsawn was hatched in the mountains of Peratheya who's fire heated his shell and cracked it.He lived under the teachings of his hatch mother until he reached the age of teaching(7) having been given the ability to choose between the schools of action or thought and he chose the latter.Learning for a while at Peratheya he soon advanced to one of the schools of the world which helped open him to the world of magic.After a few years of training he exited the school and began his external "street" training,in that training he developed an obsession with longevity and after a ridiculous amount of training he had concocted a potion with help from his mentor.The potion would have made him live for thousands of years,but some things went wrong and a few components were accidentally switched or a contamination of the poem happened.The result gave him his greatest wish and let him live forever but stripped him of his corporeal form.

With his corporeal form gone he found that he could steal the bodies of other creatures in a matter of seconds as he accidentally took control of his teacher's body,because of his transformation Albin was seen as an experiment and not a living thing so he did what he had to do.He hijacked a body and ran off into the world remembering to change bodies every few years.After a while he grew extremely fond of a body that he had stolen from a red mage and he decided to keep it and started to feed it through souls he stole from his murder victims.

Equipment:
Emptor
Emptor
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down