FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage.

+8
Raspeyer
The Ghost Writer
Kalon Ordona II
Lord Revan
Kathryn Lacey
Christoph
Delve
Sólrökr
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage. Empty Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage.

Post by Sólrökr Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Howdy.

Delve invited me to join her Ricochet RP, so I decided to register. I haven't quite explored the forums yet, don't have the time as I'm currently at work, but I will this weekend. From what she tells me, this is poised to be a very interesting RP forum. I've RP'd for about eight years now but it was a very specific type of sparring, so I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to casual RPs or something of that sort.

Little about myself... I'm 24 and working on a Bachelor's in English. I'm a decent chunk through a fantasy novel, but its been on hiatus for a few months. I work for a newspaper, where I do graphic design, but looking for bigger and better things. I always love a good story, don't really care what the medium is just so long as the delivery is proper.

Anyhow, I look forward to looking around. Cheers.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage. Empty Re: Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage.

Post by Delve Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Welcome! Looking forward to it!
Delve
Delve
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.emery3d.info

Back to top Go down

Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage. Empty Re: Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage.

Post by Christoph Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 pm

It's good to see other people recruiting. Keep it up!

Welcome, Ssss... I'll just call you "Sol", if that's all right. It's good to have you here; I hope you enjoy your stay. I've done a fair share of 'battle-by-post" in different sub-formats, so I can assure you from personal experience that you will adjust just fine to other styles. Have fun!
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Sól is enunciated as Sol anyhow. Its true enunciation is Solruuker. The ö implies a long u sound, and the e is implied.

Thank you for the welcomes.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

OMG! I'm so glad I can pronounce your name without having to ask because you told us before then. I've had a problem with having to ask pretty much every new member how they pronounce their usernames.

Anyway, welcome to the FoG, Sólrökr!

I'm Kathryn, and I'm the adviser/counselor of the site. If you need advice or anything, I am definitely here for you. The same goes if you have any questions or concerns, but the rest of the staff also serve in that capacity.

I really hope you'll enjoy your stay! ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Here's a question. Is there any way to change the site's skin? I actually really enjoy the layout but my home computer can't seem to run it effectively (Scrolling is extremely disjointed, slow and imprecise.) . Perhaps something a little less RAM intensive?
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:05 pm

No. I'm sorry that your computer is having difficulties with it. At one point, we fiddled with having a different colour scheme that users could choose to use instead of the dark grey, but we decided against it. I don't think we have an actual layout that's different. =\

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't think my computer likes the pop up Home/Messages/Profile/etc ;_;
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 pm

If you go to the top of the page, there's a double arrow that looks white ((sort of like this: << )). If you click it, it'll hide that, and maybe your computer will run the site better?

Here's a screen cap of it:

Spoiler:

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:21 pm

It didn't! It must be something else then. Thanks for that though. I'll just have to deal with it.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Delve Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Maybe not another color, but a simpler layout that works in internet explorer would be great for fog. Especially since some of us go on the site via smart phone. This is of course something that can be submitted for website feed back section, which I assume one exists somewhere....
Delve
Delve
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 pm

The feedback forum can be found here under the News and Announcement section. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:09 am

Welcome to the site, Sol. I apologize for the shortening of your name, but I do not know how to do the over the letters thing you do.

But anyway, my name is Marc, and I am your friendly OOC Moderator. If you have any questions feel free to contact myself or any of the other staff here, and we would love to help.

I am glad you came here for a specific role, I haven't spoken to Delve much but she seems like a interesting person.

Have fun, and enjoy your stay!
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:12 am

Welcome to the FOG, Sólrökr! cheers
English, for the win!

Always great to have another lover of English aboard, since, of course, that's what makes us literate. ^_^ And I see you're into graphic design! Looking forward to seeing some of your work in both writing and artwork, then. Do share sometime, if you're so inclined. Very Happy

I hope you enjoy your exploration of the site. There's much to do and see around here. If you have any questions at all, you'll not lack for answers. We did indeed mess with skins more than once earlier, and each time we came to the conclusion that it's best to promote a sense of unity across the board, among other reasons. As for different ways of accessing the site, the person you want to ask is Axiom Awaits, the admin that built the site. He might be able to work something out or at least give a technically detailed answer. You could make a proposal in the Feedback subforum or send him a PM. In a pinch, one of our global mods, The Ghost Writer, is also tech savvy enough to give a more detailed response. Nod

Hope that helps! Very Happy
Welcome again, and happy writing! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ghost Writer Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 am

You know for I moment, when I saw the title in the latest posts column of the index, I thought: great, another spammer, time to go delete someone! But then I realized you're human and well... Yeah... Aww

Welcome to FoG, Sólrökr!

In regards to the difficulties you're having with the theme, is it really your computer or just your browser? This site runs smoothly in Firefox versions 4 and 5. It's stable in Chrome, expect for the text fields, where the word-wrap becomes letter-wrap. XD

Enjoy your stay. For technical difficulties, you can use the Feedback forum, or contact Axiom or myself. Axiom is our technical administrator, but he's not always available 100% of the time, so I'm here to at least answer questions and provide alternative solutions to engineering.

-A
The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Raspeyer Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 am

Howdy howdy Sol. That's an awesome username there. Hope the casual RP thing goes well for you and if not I'm sure Em's told you about our other one planned for the future. Nice to meet you.
Raspeyer
Raspeyer
Mist
Mist

Female

http://holly.clonestyle.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you all. Much appreciated. Usually don't get longer posts in introduction threads, at least in my little sampling of forums.

Most the graphic design I do Kalon is just for work. It's a newspaper so rather less artistic and more sales. I used to enjoy freehand drawing but I've come to understand that my real calling is writing, so I've let drawing slip. They use much of the same energies (As does graphic design, despite the fact that it's not excruciatingly artistic like the others.). The only stuff I really do for myself are the avatars and such, but I'm without photoshop at work now so I have to work with very bare-bones programs that make it difficult to do anything. My avatar for instance is just a chop-shop of an old, longer one. Couldn't even get the blank line under it removed. It was agitating.

I think I'll upgrade my browser Ghost. I've been putting it off. I'm on Firefox 3.6. Thank you for the idea (Though I didn't know I was that far behind! Had to look it up.). EDIT: Updating the browser fixed the difficulty. Thanks a lot Ghost. I feel a little derpherp but oh well.

And hello Rasp. Delve has told me a little about you, but not about the next project. I'm interested to see what it is.

Thanks again folks.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ghost Writer Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:29 pm

If you'd like a program as powerful as Photoshop for free, then try GIMP on for size. All the pros that are smart enough to not fall for paying hundreds of dollars for a similar program have it! Very Happy

I'm glad that upgrading your Firefox browser fixed the problem. I'm quite surprised to even hear that someone was still using an older 3.0 version. I thought Firefox would have notified you of any pending updates sometime in the last... two years... Aww
The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Delve Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:49 pm

An advance RP is in the works with Nihilisil, its been over a week of planning and there's even a map I am currently drawing for it. I'll keep you posted on it via messanger. :3
Delve
Delve
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:50 pm

The Ghost Writer wrote:If you'd like a program as powerful as Photoshop for free, then try GIMP on for size. All the pros that are smart enough to not fall for paying hundreds of dollars for a similar program have it! Very Happy

I'm glad that upgrading your Firefox browser fixed the problem. I'm quite surprised to even hear that someone was still using an older 3.0 version. I thought Firefox would have notified you of any pending updates sometime in the last... two years... Aww

Lazy is the word of the day kids. Does GIMP work on Mac? (My work computer is a Mac.)
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ghost Writer Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Try this, Sólrökr:

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/
The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks. I'll snag it on Monday.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Hey, hey. Welcome to FoG!

I hope you've had some time now to explore the different forums we have here a bit. It was nice of Ricochet to invite you here.

A Bachelor's in English is something I'd like to get next (as my current Fine Arts degree is proving useless). I'm also 24. High Five Also, holy crap. You have probably one of my biggest dream jobs right now. Sorry to hear it's not really for you though. That type of position seems to be eluding me.

Well, I hope you enjoy yourself here, and I look forward to seeing you around!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Greetings, Sólrökr!

Warning: Sólrökr may induce seizures, explosive epiphanies, and/or fits of rage. Welcom10

Welcome to Footsteps of Ghosts!

Check out our rules, etiquette and "What is FOG?" sections.

If you want to discover our newest features or share feedback about the site, stop by the news and announcements area. If you have any trouble using the forum itself, try the FAQ.

If you have any questions, our staff will be more than happy to assist you.

We also have a chat room if you would like to talk to our members now.

Take a moment to browse our forums and perhaps find a role-play to your liking, a place to receive input on your works of literature or simply to converse with people of similar interests.

Looks like I am late to the party! Welcome to FOG.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Fate Foretold wrote:A Bachelor's in English is something I'd like to get next (as my current Fine Arts degree is proving useless). I'm also 24. High Five Also, holy crap. You have probably one of my biggest dream jobs right now. Sorry to hear it's not really for you though. That type of position seems to be eluding me.

As much as I hate to be a naysayer, if you ever do get the opportunity, thoroughly investigate the position. The title sounds nice, actually my title is Production Manager, but the business itself is extremely low quality. I'm paid just over minimum and I've worked here for five years. The building is dilapidated, and the industry has no money coming in. This is probably because of my specific employer, but most newspapers are hurting heavily right now, and if you're not bringing in money (Editorial and Ads), you're very likely to get cutback or let go. A Bachelor's is a minimum requirement, yet they only pay our editor around $13.50/hr, no benefits.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Sólrökr wrote:
Fate Foretold wrote:A Bachelor's in English is something I'd like to get next (as my current Fine Arts degree is proving useless). I'm also 24. High Five Also, holy crap. You have probably one of my biggest dream jobs right now. Sorry to hear it's not really for you though. That type of position seems to be eluding me.

As much as I hate to be a naysayer, if you ever do get the opportunity, thoroughly investigate the position. The title sounds nice, actually my title is Production Manager, but the business itself is extremely low quality. I'm paid just over minimum and I've worked here for five years. The building is dilapidated, and the industry has no money coming in. This is probably because of my specific employer, but most newspapers are hurting heavily right now, and if you're not bringing in money (Editorial and Ads), you're very likely to get cutback or let go. A Bachelor's is a minimum requirement, yet they only pay our editor around $13.50/hr, no benefits.
Wow, no kidding? Thanks for the heads up. It's really too bad that not only are you not getting paid a whole lot (especially after being there for so long!), but the business quality isn't great. I guess I didn't consider the industry itself with both the economy and with the way that most people read their news online nowadays. That's a really good point.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Raspeyer Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Yeh, as nice as they sound you should really only do minor in things like English and Psychology. Hell, even my field is pretty tight but at least I can expand on it and do things like CT and Sonography. So if you decide to go back to school pick something that you can expand on, that's a good way to go.
Raspeyer
Raspeyer
Mist
Mist

Female

http://holly.clonestyle.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Can't say that I agree, but I'm an idealist. I believe in education for the sake of education, and I see all things as an opportunity to learn.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Sólrökr wrote:Can't say that I agree, but I'm an idealist. I believe in education for the sake of education, and I see all things as an opportunity to learn.

Me too. Worked well until graduation Laughing

Welcome to FOG!

Yea. I'm not really good at welcoming people...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Wow, I feel late to the welcome wagon. Ooops...

Anyway! Welcome to FoG, Sol! Sorry, I also don't know how to do the symbols over the letters. Wow, chalk up another recruit to Delve! It sounds like you're already getting the hang of the forum, so I'll just say enjoy your stay and ask if you have any questions!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next