FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emoria: World-Building OOC

+14
Shadow Moonseye
Buzzwulf
Hello Danger
Caleb
Gabe
Sighlent
Kalon Ordona II
Guilty Carrion
Dax
ImmortalSin
Gunneh
Kathryn Lacey
Bird of Hermes
Gadreille
18 posters

Page 1 of 33 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Go down

Emoria: World-Building OOC Empty Emoria: World-Building OOC

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:27 am

Welcome to Emoria.

This thread is reserved for world building, collaboration of world space, and general ideas of how this role play is executed. To view the information that has been completed, please lookhere!

Last edited by Silvone Elestahr on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 34 times in total

Back to top Go down

Emoria: World-Building OOC Empty Re: Emoria: World-Building OOC

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:32 am

Last edited by Silvone Elestahr on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 35 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 am

Last edited by Silvone Elestahr on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 15 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 am

Last edited by Silvone Elestahr on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 28 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Username: Ryona Noel
Character Name: Corbina Obscuracce
Familiar: Raven named Gabriel
Species/Race: Human Sorceress…afflicted with lycanthropy
Lycanthropy: Lycan’s plague the deeper hills beyond the plains, and most avoid the villages, but Corbina had an unlucky run in with a rogue lycan. She killed it, but not before being bitten on the arm and infected with lycanthropy. Most succumb to lycanthropy quickly, turning into crazed wolves and never returning back to true form. The sorceresses have discovered a magic which, if used in good timing, can slow the effects of lycanthropy so that the individual afflicted may adapt to it. Corbina was “saved”, though she will always be part lycan. She cannot turn into a wolf, the magic prevents it. If this magic were somehow broken, she would lose all sense of being and turn into a lycan for good.
Physical Description: Corbina is of medium stature, approximately 5’5”. She has brown hair and amber eyes, which have become a bit redder over time, due to lycanthropy. She wears standard robes of her people, and has two weapons: a crossbow, and two long knives. Her weapons don’t require brute strength as much as finesse and true aim, which she has acquired. With the aid of the special magic of her people, her body has adapted to the disease it carries, and she has become faster, stronger, with finer tuned senses, like an animal. But with this blessing comes a price: she harbors much anger, has lost some of her wisdom as a sorceress and many of the skills she once learned she can no longer accomplish. She still has the power to control some most basic spells: these being enchant (enchanting her weapons with fire) and firebolt (hurling dart of pure fire). She also has a fireball necklace, which she can only use twice any given day: it’s power shoots seven fireballs directly at her enemies.
World-Space: The matriarchal sorceresses live in the plains surrounding a large swamp. Many actually reside within the swamp, but Corbina, being a fire elemental, prefers the camps of the open plains. There are no large cities, just small villages placed on small hilltops of the plains, a good distance from the looming mountains beyond. Some of the villages are built within the swamp on long posts, given the image that the village is floating on water. Small rafts are used to get from individual homes to the areas of commerce, which are usually connected with wooden bridges.
Allies: Most sects of matriarchal sorcery
Enemies: Lycans
Religion/Deities: Follower of Wee Jas, the goddess of magic, death, vanity, and law.
Governing Body: Corbina is a member of a matriarchal sect of fire elemental Jasidin sorceresses, led by a Jasidin priestess. It is one of many sects which have different emphasis of magic, and there is no leader to govern the sects as a whole.

Edit: This character was made directly off of my dungeons and dragons character. I forced her to loose skills so that the benefit of being stronger would be balanced. If anyone thinks that this character is still too "mary sue" like, PLEASE let me know.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Character Name: Venteux
Species/Race: Ionairus
Physical Description: Venteux is around five feet tall and has a lithe frame built for flight. Grey feathered wings extend from her shoulder blades and allow her to fly much like a bird does. She has vibrant violet eyes, windswept silver hair and soft ivory skin that is reminiscent of a storm cloud. Like all Ionairus, Venteux never sleeps.
Skills: Can control the winds, holds a key to the Portal
World-space: Elemental Plane of Air; Venteux lives on the outskirts of the Air Plane in a colony run by the free Ionairus.
Allies: Elemental Planes of Fire, Water and Earth
Enemies: Plane of Shadow, Ion the Lord of the Four Winds and I'naire the Watcher
Religion/Deity: Queen of the Crows
Personality: This Ionairus is very curious like most of her people. When moving on foot, she crouches and sneaks, never ceasing to move. When she stands, she stands tall. When she flies, she flies with grace. Venteux rarely speaks, but when she does it is with an exactness that reveals her true age.
History: Venteux's personal history is much like all of her people's. This Ionairus, like them all, was created approximately two millennia ago by Ion the Lord of the Four Winds from the Matter of the Four Elements. She was freed from the Curse of Petrification by the Queen of the Crows. She had joined the Resistance on her home plane and has recently been initiated as a Guardian of the Portal. Venteux has much to learn of the Material Plane and its peoples.

Last edited by Bird of Hermes on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 9 times in total
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 pm

I think that "occupation" and "skills" are two categories that should be addressed on the character sheet.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 pm

I will add that in now. Thanks Smile

We have a map picked out, and Ryona and my areas figured out. So once my computer is up and running and we have access to photoshop, Ryona will begin putting the map together.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Should we put our ideas for areas and locations here?
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Try to leave a relatively flat space sort of in the middle of things. I think that's where the Great-and-yet-unnamed-Library and its city will go.

Politically speaking, do you think that there would be something akin to a United Nations in this world we're creating? I've been debating between having the library in it's own city-sized country ((like the Vatican City)) within a much larger country, but if there isn't anyone to really protect a country that small, someone much bigger would probably take over through war.

However, if there is a United Nations sort of thing set up, I'm sure that would be protection enough for the city-of-knowledge.

Another thought was to just have it be one city in a country that's sort of in the middle of the world.

We can throw ideas around here, right, or should we do that in the interest check thread instead?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

No, go ahead and throw ideas around here. That is what this thread is for Smile

Not sure about the United Nations things yet. If that is what everyone wants, then that is fine. But we kind of need more profiles before we make that decision I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 pm

The Ionairus

The Ionairus

The Ionairus are not a diverse race in appearance as humans are. Their hair ranges from white to black, their complexions to that of a storm cloud with creamy to dark hues and their wings from a silver to charcoal. All Ionairus, whether male or female, stand at exactly five feet tall, as they were all made from the same mold by Ion. The eyes of an Ionairus are vibrant. The eyes can be of any hue found in the sunset or the sky. They have feather-like ears. Ionairus, while scarce in number, can be found anywhere on the Material Plane, though their home is the Plane of Air. Many people go their whole lives without encountering one as there just aren't that many of them. Ionairus have a natural curiosity, especially of the Material Plane. Because of this, they are a very tolerant race, but will oppose oppression wheresoever it is found. They also have their own dialect called Voltalic, which is said to sound like the cooing of birds to a human of the Material Plane. They are very fond of birds and those creatures with the ability of flight. Ionairus never sleep. They can control the winds.

The history of the Ionairus can be found under the Plane of Air.

Last edited by Bird of Hermes on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 9 times in total
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I will make my sheet as soon as I get my portrait from Kalon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

As for the "United Nations", I would think of it more as a mix of council of Elrond/ Pirate's Brethren Court. I think it would be a slightly unorganized event that occurs only during dark times, such as war, or something bigger than that.

When we come up with a plot, this idea of everyone coming together would be a great start.

Go ahead and describe your city/state, and once everyone has posted their world space, we will post up the blank map and work together to organize who goes where, etc.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I agree that it would make a great starting point for our story: all of the characters representing their respective lands coming to this meeting to discuss their future... I just don't yet have any ideas for what would cause that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 pm

I agree that it would make a great starting point for our story: all of the characters representing their respective lands coming to this meeting to discuss their future... I just don't yet have any ideas for what would cause that.

I think this is a great idea for a starting point.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

I like that a lot, actually.

Username: Gunneh_2113
Character Name: Elias Ventus, "The Knight of Winds"
Species/Race: Human Knight
Physical Description:
Skills:
World-space:

I'll edit SOON.

Last edited by Gunneh2113 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Awesome. So now we have starting point for the story. Thanks Kathryn and Ryona!

Next we need to figure out why we would be meeting. What drastic event would have the world pulling together to deal with it? Something from the shadow plane? Perhaps demons of sorts pouring into the material plane (including air and water and such), forcing us to band together to deal with them? Or something more focused on our material realms themselves?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm

So, I changed my mind. I'll probably still have the city/state thing, but I realized that I can just smack that into the middle of the country for the Elves in general. I mean, it's really not that unrealistic to think that the Elves would have gotten together with the idea for the library and got support from other nations ((for how else would they be able to acquire all of the knowledge that would be placed within it)), right? I think the whole Vatican/Pope thing started in Italy, and that's where the Vatican City is, so bleh.

Anyway, I'm still in the creative process with this, but I'll get a tentative sheet up soon. My main issue is coming up with names for locations and such.

I'm not sure about how they would all be brought together yet, but that library would be one awesome place to gather, don't you think?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:17 pm

It would be a great place to gather. All the information at hand would help with the debates and negotiations and such, as well as planning.

I had an easier time with mine because I ripped a whole chunk out of a world I've been working on for a while. And what is weird is it fits in more here than what I had originally intended it for...

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I've done a roleplay along the lines of this before - as in, all of the different countries/nations coming together for a meeting because of drastic circumstances. In our case, it was because a massive comet had appeared in the sky and was hailed as a bad omen. It signaled the arrival and the return of a banished evil deity to their world.

Therefore one person was selected from each country/nation/whatever you want to call it to journey to the middle, neutral city for a meeting to discuss what was to be done next.

There were seven gods in this roleplay, and the cities they created mirrored them perfectly. I thought I would post them here in case anyone wished to use them/build off of them/get ideas from them. Here they are-

The City of Koatu [Koh-Ah-To] was created by Okatu, the rash spirit of fire himself. It was placed inside the crater of Mount Okatu, a dormant volcano, and is surrounded by a boiling lake that means death for anyone who falls inside. The volcano is part of a small island chain.

The City of Sirea [Sear-E-Ah] was created by Erais, the wise spirit of water. It was uniquely placed in the relentless arctic region and sits atop one of the world's most divine architectural wonders. The city resembles one of the many fountains that can be found in a city's centre. It is large and circular with a small stream of water spiraling up to the tip where it cascades back down and into the ocean that surrounds it. Many stone embedded walkways connect the citizen’s dwellings. A palace lurks beneath the city itself in an exclusive underwater dome that boasts quite a marvelous view of the marine life.

The City of Sinta [Sin-Tay] was created by Atsin, the strong spirit of earth. The city is quite a challenge to find mostly because it is located underground in a monstrous cavern. The majority of Sinta is left in ruins. Its people continuously refuse to expand or upgrade their city, believing that if they were to make changes it would ruin Atsin's creation. Those that live there are known to be more rural and because of their isolation from the rest of the world they find themselves in poverty.

The City of Roari [Roar-E] was created by Irora, the swift spirit of air. Many have mistaken the city for heaven itself namely because of the long and perilous climb that one must undergo in order to reach it, which to some represents life. After ascending an endless winding stairway you will find the city situated right at the top of the spire, resting peacefully amongst the clouds.

The City of Ridic [Rid-Ick] was created by Cirid, the pure spirit of the sun. Its people are used to extreme heat and are well known for their glowing complexion and sun-kissed hair. Tucked away in the desert, their settlement is an extensive and equally dazzling city built of limestone and granite. Many a lost traveler has been saved by the compassionate people of this city. The glimmering buildings act like a beacon for all of those who wish to visit. Even though some of the most renowned healers in all of Faxin reside here, it is rare for anyone to make the trip due to the harsh conditions and vicious sandstorms they will most certainly encounter along the way.

The City of Risal [Rye-Zull] was created by Lasri, the elegant spirit of the moon. Nestled amongst the most precarious mountains in all of Faxin, Risal's people yearn to be as close to the stars as possible. A heavy blanket of white snow almost always hides the luscious expanse of greenery, but Risal boasts many beautiful meadows and valleys during the summer. Their city is more commonly known as the "City of Lights" due to the unknown substance that their living quarters were carved from. They have no need for artificial lighting, especially in the evening. The strange white stone absorbs the moonlight and exudes it for the rest of the day, all the way through to nightfall.

The City of Atrulyn [Ah-True-Lyn] is a man-made fortress reserved for those who worship no god and do not believe in the existence of magic. They are a neutral city located in the middle of the six other major cities. Due to the prosperous land that surrounds them they are responsible for supplying the other cities with the essentials. But trading with Atrulyn comes at a cost. Each city has their own commodity to trade. Pearls, salt and fish are Sirea's specialty. Sinta is known for its craftsmanship and produces many fine pieces of jewelry and utensils from the precious stones, gems and metals that can be found in the depths of their city. Ridic can provide many useful remedies and cures for almost any ailment. Koatu is famous for the marvelous diamonds that it has to offer. Risal reluctantly shares knowledge, scriptures and rare shards of the glowing stone that its city is made from. And last but not least, Roari's citizens hand over many unique pieces of art and collectible trinkets. To transport these supplies, the people of Atrulyn use large airships carried by massive balloons that are lifted by gas such as helium or hydrogen.

I know that was a bit of a read, but hopefully it might give someone a decent idea or two. As you can see, the most work went into Risal, Ridic and Atrulyn. My character was from Risal, and had a twin in Ridic - hence why I put so much work into them. And Atrulyn was the neutral city and where all of the trading took place.

My character is actually a songstress, if you didn't pick that up from her portrait/signature. So I'm thinking of giving her a fairly religious background. I'll probably use some ideas from Risal and Ridic but I really need time to think further than that.

Edit:I forgot to add that I was co-GM for this roleplay and I put just as much work (if not more, when it came to grammar and wording) into it as my partner did so if you wish to take anything from that, feel free to do so.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Here is my idea for the Plane of Earth:

The Plane of Earth

The plane of Earth was once the building place of the primordial gods. The early gods created life from the ground like clay. There are monuments and temples of these early gods spread throughout the regions made of pure white stone. What became of them is unknown. It appears as if one day the old gods just left the realm. However, they left behind the models for some of their best creations. Rough stone creatures can be found in various places covered in wild vegetation, the images life-like and real. In fact, some of them are quite real. Living stone monsters are often found in the barren plains, walking about like their flesh counterparts.

Last edited by Bird of Hermes on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Wait... So... The Plane of Earth is the same thing as the Material Plane, right? If I'm understanding that correctly, then I have no problems with the portal located on that plane to be in the library sub-basement.

I'm kind of thinking that while the city would be in the Elivish nation, that city itself would be a cultural hub with all cultures and species of people. It seems fitting since the library would contain information from all over the world ((and from varying planes)).

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Username: Elric Gharial

Character Name: Gregor Legato

Species/Race: Fermatan

Physical Description: Gregor casts a long shadow at six foot five inches tall and a whopping two hundred and eighty pounds of battle hardened muscle. When not in his armor, he has a huge scar about six inches wide at it's widest and two inches wide at the thinnest running from his left shoulder to his right hip, a 'trophy' received during a battle with a rampaging orcish warlord. His armor is brilliant white with golden trim, inscribed with tiny musical notes along the trim that enhance his already impressive vocal projection and spellsinging ability.

Skills: The people of Fermata are known for one thing and one thing only, the Arpeggio Knights, also known as the Spellsingers. These famed warriors practice an art unique to their region, that of weaving the words of their music into powerful magic spells. This is affected by the projection and depth of their voice, with bass singers' spells having a more direct physical force, while an alto's effects would be far less directly seen. Gregor is a bass, and his specialization is enhancing his strength and endurance far beyond human capabilities. Without The Song, Gregor could chop down a two hundred year old oak tree in about four hours, breaks included. With The Song, he would need no break and fell the tree in about three strokes of his mighty Axe, Sforzando. As long as he wills it, people within earshot get a portion of this boost also, enhancing their combat capabilities.

Gregor is very talented with his greataxe, Sforzando (Pictured here:
Spoiler:

World-space: The country of Fermata is a small island nation, with it's largest island containing the Spellsinger's Monestary and grounds, and the other ones dotted with small farms and cottages which help to support the Monestary. Fermata is it's own independent republic, although it is very dependent on trade and tribute from other nations who help to fund the country's operation, usually due to having been saved from some trouble or the other by one or more Spellsingers.

History:

Spoiler:

Allies:

Enemies:

Religion/Deity(s): Fermatans, and especially the Spellsingers, revere a race of beings known as the Treblè, who vanished from the world long ago. According to Fermatan legend the Treblè used The Song to shape the world from nothingness until an event known as The Discord, when a few Treblè decided that humanity was unfit to exist and attempted to destroy the world and all their creation. This caused a war among the Treblè that wiped most of them out and sent the rest into hiding. As a result, no Treblè has been seen in many centuries

Governing Body: Independent republic supported by those it protects. Strong religious emphasis. Led by the Grand Marshal of the Arpeggio Knights.

Last edited by Elric Gharial on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:34 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Wait... So... The Plane of Earth is the same thing as the Material Plane, right?

No, it's not. It is one of the four Elemental Planes.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dax Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:31 pm

I yes, this is what I'm talking about. Finally an RP with some politics!

I will get a signup as soon as possible!
Dax
Dax
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Then, you've lost me. I don't understand why the portal would be in the library which is part of the material plane. Why wouldn't the portal be in the Earth Plane?

I thought the material plane was basically where the main course of the action is going to be? I guess I don't really understand why the Earth plane and the Material plane should be a different planes, anyway.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Perhaps it should be named something different, then.

When character sheets are completed, please PM either Silvone or I. Since many of these are works in progress, and the OOC is quickly filling up with posts, a reminder would be MOST helpful Smile

I only say me as well as Silvone because I have access to his account and can edit his post and put up your characters even if he is not here.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dax Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Of course, I will do.

I am working on the sheet as we speak.
Dax
Dax
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Then, you've lost me. I don't understand why the portal would be in the library which is part of the material plane. Why wouldn't the portal be in the Earth Plane?

Well, the portal to get to the Plane of Earth can't be on the Plane of Earth. That wouldn't make any sense. No one could get there then.

What I mean by "earth" is like the element in fantasy settings and such. Like earth, air, fire and water.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 33 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next