FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th

+3
Eternity
Stion Gyas
Fate Flyer
7 posters

Go down

Should we create a sticky thread for everyone to list off their favorite role-plays?

Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Votele10100%Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Voteri10 100% 
[ 15 ]
Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Votele100%Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Empty Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you think of this idea?

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 pm

So, you want to do a specific type of role-play? Let's say, for an example, it's a role-play based in the world of Dinotopia. You can create a thread in the Interest Check section to try and find others interested, and hope that people that know about and would like to do a Dinotopia RP see it. What if they aren't thinking about looking in the Interest Check forum though (especially in that specific Interest Check forum)?

Here's a solution:

I thought it could be really beneficial for the community and for the individual if we had one Sticky thread (perhaps in the Archives section?) devoted entirely to your favorite role-plays and the ones you like to do the most. Everyone would be allowed to reply only once to the thread, and the only thing they would post would be a list of all the role-plays they enjoy (naming, specifically, which fandoms they do). Then, people searching for others that may like the same things as them can go there and scout out other role-players to PM and invite to join in a role-play with them.

That way, when you want to create a RP (especially one you aren't sure many people will like), you can be the one to take action, rather than sitting back and waiting passively for others to respond to your Interest Check thread.

How does that sound? Do you guys think we should have a Sticky thread like that?
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Empty Re: Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm

It sounds good, and it works very well. Until the forum get very large with many member. Right now, it'd be wonderful, but in a couple months to a year... well, who knows?

A suggestion, format it.

Code:

[b]User Name:[/b]

[b]Favorite Genre(s):[/b]

[b]Favorite Character Archetype(s):[/b]

[b]Character Thread:[/b]

[b]Other Information:[/b]

Just a short and sweet little deal, with a sentence or two of information.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th Empty Re: Finding RPers Interested In Similar Genres -- What do you th

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanks for the input, Stion, and for the ideas for the template. That was really helpful. Smile

As long as people know how to find specific things on pages (on my Mac, I go up to Edit and Find and then type the word(s) in), it shouldn't be a huge problem. Also, you would be able to edit your post at any time, so then you would be able to add more things to your list as they come up or delete old things that you no longer are as interested in.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:13 pm

I could see it working. Not really sure how you would list everyone's stuff though. Would you have a long list of links in a thread where everyone's information is linked to? That part I'm a little confused on

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

I understood the part about being able to edit any time. Very Happy Perhaps another good practice would be a link to your post in you character thread/signature/both.

Tk: I believe Fate just means: Everybody, post your information once, edit it whenever it changes. When people start an Interest Check they can come here, and look around, and find people who may be interested in their thread, and go from there.

It would be a lot of work to start linking to everybody's post, unless they did it themselves.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Yep, Stion said it right. I thought about listing everyone in the first post, along with their RPs, but that would be a lot of information -- more information than a single post can hold here. We have a max limit of 15,999 characters, and it won't let us exceed this. In addition, if people ever wanted to change anything, they would have to PM me and tell me what they want changed or added, which, together, seems far too troublesome. Therefore, simply replying to the thread and listing everything yourself would be the easiest and really the only way.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:38 pm

I like the idea. Usually when I look for someone to invite to an rp, or a one on one partner, I try to find people who I've seen doing similar things in comparison to my storyline.

That would definitely make things easier. For others. I actually enjoy my job of snooping in everyone's roleplay business lol.

~Eternity
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:38 pm

I have an addendum.
In addition to everyone posting what they like, we should have a summary up top.
List each genre and put names there, along with asterisks for each person.

Say a person likes Fantasy***** and Sci-fi*** and Romance* and Horror****

Like...

Medieval Fantasy
Person A*****
Person B*****
Percon C*****
Person D****
Person E***
Person F***
Person G*

Star Wars
Person G*****
Person D****
etc. Very Happy

Or even without ratings, one could just generally list names according to what they seem to most like. One person might be die-hard Fantasy, while another might enjoy pretty much anything.

Having everything listed at the top would make it even easier for people to find people.

On the other hand, though, it would discourage people from searching for themselves. Depends on what we want to do.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Your idea is good, Kalon, but there's that problem with the 15,999 character limit. We'd reach it eventually, and it's also a little bit of a pain...

Ahh! Fate, you could add a profile field where we can place a link or our Favorite Genres post. Or, better yet, we could just add it to the field with out character thread.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Couldn't we just use The Achieve forum for this idea?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorin Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:50 pm

The idea seems solid, with everyone making their own post, adding RP types/names and editing when changes,

PCs, could just press 'ctrl + f' to find stuff (forget the mac hotkey... haven't used a mac in aGES) And everything would be right there, just do the 'ctrl+f' type in "Fantasy" and BOOM. You can rotate through the various people who like it.

There should be a link in you Sig/ Profile to find it aswell.
Sorin
Sorin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Tkwiget wrote:Couldn't we just use The Achieve forum for this idea?

That was one of Fate's suggested places for the thread, I believe.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Oh.. I must have skipped over that part! Cool

I think it's the best place for the idea to go. Since it is called The Achieve, wouldn't be to hard to go with making them universal threads for members to have. Such as not only having their characters for certain RPs, characters in general, and other RP information. Could have a multitude of things in them that are just useful in general to the person.

I had a feeling that I was going to end up turning mine into something like that. Right now, mine is only for an RP but can easily change it to something more generalized.

So how are you going to get everyone to do this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:59 pm

By request, most likely. ;o And letting new members know where it is and what it's for when they join.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here or am just plain confused.

How would they be able to look up people? Wouldn't there be multiple threads to look through? Also, if it's all in one thread, wouldn't there be a lot of posts to look through.

I thought the idea was to make looking other people up really fast and easy. So I'm not sure if a core thread would work if it will get cluttered with pages of posts in the future. That just will keep people from even clicking on it and looking through all of it. Also, if that is the way we take the idea, then it means the first three or four pages will get viewed the most and everything else will have a higher chance of getting ignored. That's how I see it happening anyways.

So is there going to be a master list?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:06 pm

All in one thread. All you need to use is the Search function (ctrl + F for PC), and type in certain keywords. (Fantasy, Sci-fi, Modern, Horror, etc.) That will lead you to all posts on that page that have people interested in that genre.

The only downside is multiple pages, so you have to repeat the process.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Actually, we already have a profile field where you can list all of your favorite types of RPs. So, that works if a person knows that they want to RP with you specifically. The thread is needed when a person doesn't know someone who is interested in a certain type of RP and is trying to find them.

Not everyone has to do this if they don't want to. I would assume that most people would though, as it is beneficial to them to do so.

I will go ahead and create a sticky thread now then in the Archive section where you all can reply, filling out the template I'll provide and listening all the RPs you enjoy. We'll try this out. Smile

EDIT: Yeah, you'll want to probably use the search function, but you can also try using the Search here on FOG as well.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Here is my concern.

People will get tired of searching for people through a big thread of dozens of pages. It will get really redundant and boring. Even using the search function isn't going to solve that problem. It still is time consuming to some degree.

Not saying it wont work cause the idea probably will.

Also, what did you mean by request? Thought you just post and that's all you'd have to do.

----

Fate, are we only allowed one post in the thread so it doesn't get cluttered up with spam?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Hey guys -- make sure you're reading through everything that I said in my first post here. Other members and myself are having to repeat what I already mentioned, so just make sure you read it and understand it.

After awhile, yes, the thread will get to be a few pages, and if this community gets really big, then such a thread really won't work for us, but for the time being, I think we can use it and benefit from it. So, might as well use it while we can.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorin Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Yeah.. if we get tons of active people... No more thread.. but for now with limited people, it'll be beneficial.
Sorin
Sorin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:53 pm

We can have a list of people at the beginning.
Have something like...

Medieval Fantasy
name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name,

Modern Fantasy
name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name,

Science Fiction
name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name,

Romance
name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name,

Lord of the Rings
name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name,

Star Wars
name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name, name,

Naruto
name, name, name, name,

If we exceed the character limit.... I'm sure there'd be some solution. We can use short names, for example.

Last edited by Kalon Ordona II on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:54 pm

That's a lot of work, Kalon.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Hm, I see what you mean. Especially if it changes now and then.
Oh well. Smile

Edit: Maybe if there was a way to automate it.....
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:18 pm

If we exceeded the first post (which we would do really quickly O_O), we'd have to leave people out of the first post. I also don't have the time to continually be updating the thread. Like Stion said, that's a lot of work. I wish there was a way to automate it. I've never come across something that...futuristic on a message board yet though lol.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tempest Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Sounds like a brilliant and productive idea Fate! I say aye! Or yes! Very Happy
Tempest
Tempest
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Huh...sounds like a solid idea...

One thing I have a problem with though is the format...

Not everyone has a character thread you know...

And as for character archetype, I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.
Ragter the junior greeter
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 pm

I didn't really understand the archetype either, but I changed some things and added some things to the format. Check it out. If you don't have a character thread, then obviously you can just leave it blank. :]
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down