FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Men, Marvel, DC, Original Super Hero RP

+5
Lara
Squall Reyes
Kathryn Lacey
Syrena
Digital Muse
9 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

X-Men, Marvel, DC, Original Super Hero RP - Page 5 Empty Re: X-Men, Marvel, DC, Original Super Hero RP

Post by Syrena Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 am

I'm not really sure if this is still an issue; however, I'd like to individually post character sheets in the OOC. If only because I like to edit mine constantly for grammar, spelling, changes in word choice, etc. And I would hate to bombard you with minor changes via PM all the time.

Perhaps, like Lara suggested, the first couple of posts in the OOC can be character sheets and one of your reserved posts can have links to all the characters? I know clicking links and then scrolling back up the page to click on the next link is a pain in the butt... But, meh, I'm sure there is some compromise to make everyone happy.

(If the character sheet thing is no longer on the table for discussion, just disregard everything I said above.)

On a couple of other notes--

Lumeus, I love all the plot things you pointed out! Especially the bit about mutants with government authority over normal people... That gave me the inspiration for my character's background.

Also, I mentioned earlier that I would really like to use clairvoyance as a power. I know how dangerous "seeing the future" in a role play is, but I'm hoping the little explanation I typed up for it will take some of the danger away and make it a fun addition to my character.

Clairvoyance—the ability to see glimpses of the future. Angelina has shown potential clairvoyant tendencies on multiple occasions during psychological evaluations and during field assignments.

Paranormal psychologists suggest that Angelina cannot see clear or detailed events of the future in psychic visions. Instead, paranormal evaluation suggests that Angelina sees the future symbolically through the act of fortune telling with tarot cards.

All of her clairvoyant manifestations utilize tarot cards or tarot card figures. She has yet to predict the future without referencing tarot. Furthermore, the future depicted in her tarot cards is limited to a single individual with whom she has direct contact.

The future depicted in her tarot cards is further dependent on her ability to correctly interpret symbolism. Also, the “future” can change dramatically between readings.

Scientific testing suggests that Angelina has a seventy percent accuracy rate in reading the future in a controlled environment. Outside of a controlled environment, Angelina has a fifty-eight percent accuracy rate in reading the future.

After each manifestation of clairvoyance, Angelina complained about hearing voices in her head. She also displayed symptoms of Schizophrenia, such as trouble sleeping, delusional thinking, extreme anxiety, trouble concentrating, and paranoia.

Anti-psychotic drugs negated the symptoms and, after several doses, the symptoms vanished. However, Angelina does use antidepressants* to dramatically reduce clairvoyant manifestations.

--

Paranormal psychologists do not believe that Angelina’s clairvoyant strength will continue to develop or grow because her ability to decipher the future is limited. There is also debate among metahuman experts on whether or not Angelina is faking her clairvoyant manifestations.

Some experts suggest that Angelina simply gathers intelligence on her “subjects” and is able to accurately predict what her "subjects" are likely to do next based on past occurrences and psychology, thus "reading the future." Other experts suggest that Angelina is able to symbolically channel the future through tarot cards, and her readings aren’t one hundred percent accurate because the future is constantly changing.

*Paranormal psychiatrists cannot explain why antidepressants reduce displays of metahuman capabilities.

Okay. So that explanation wasn't exactly little. Hopefully it was helpful in describing where I wanted to go with clairvoyance, though.

Thoughts?
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

X-Men, Marvel, DC, Original Super Hero RP - Page 5 Empty Re: X-Men, Marvel, DC, Original Super Hero RP

Post by Lumeus Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:14 am

That raises the question, can people that know their future change it, or will their actions merely ensure the future she read in the cards?

And if its the latter that means what she saw only came about because she did or didn't tell the person what was coming.

Hmm, another question is, why would the Task Force recruit someone that had at least a 30% chance of giving the team bad intel on any given mission?

Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 am

To clear the last matter up first—since that’s the easy one—my character was definitely not recruited because she can “see the future” or because she has any other metahuman ability. Her inclusion in the task force is definitely because she has prior background experience; in fact, she’s hopefully brining forensic skills to the group.

After all, who in their right mind recruits based on psychic ability? That’s just crazy! Even if the Task Force is primarily composed of mutants--no one would risk that much on one person's supposed psychic abilities.

Now, onto the first matter…

I would assume that if someone knew their future, then he or she could change it.

Even if someone doesn’t know his or her future, he or she should have free will to make decisions that could alter his or her future. People change, intentions change, feelings change, and the future should reflect those changes. A handful of cards shouldn’t be able to set an event in stone; especially, since the cards tend to be more symbolic.

Ultimately, I think Angelina is offering a glimpse of what the future could be. And, sometimes, she paints an accurate picture of that future.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:26 am

I have no real problem with the clairvoyance, but I do have some concerns with how it'll play out, practically speaking, in the RP. Presumably you won't know what's going to happen next in the RP, so it'll be largely guesswork unless the visions are extremely vague and general so as to allow self-fulfilling prophecies. Unless you were getting very general hints from whoever's largely running the plot line about the direction the plot is going in, I'm curious as to how it would manifest in a "useful" manner in this context. I hope that makes sense.

Again, I'm not ragging on the ability and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I'm just curious as to how it'll play out.

@ Lumeus: It wouldn't surprise me. Government agencies are used to taking all available intel, good or bad, and vetting it as they go. I don't think it's too far out in left field for them to add another potentially viable intel source. As long as they aren't using her as their primary, end-all source for information it makes sense to me. Just one data point among others, in other words.

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 am

In the past, when I got the okay to run with this, I typically did one or two small, vague readings that allowed for self-fulfilling prophecy. Sometimes, I would provide bad intelligence to help move the plot along. Again, though, I typically contributed to small portions of the plot. I also always worked with the individual(s) running the storyline when I did this.

When I wanted to contribute to a larger portion of the plot and have the event come to pass, I typically exchanged a bunch of private messages with the person whose future I was going to “see” as well as the individual(s) running the plot. That way I could have some specifics, but I also knew what I could “see” and what I couldn’t “see.”

Sending out “final” versions of posts to the people I worked with helped a lot, too. They could point out what parts of the future needed editing. There's usually always something.

Then, I’d just pray I hadn’t screwed up the storyline and people wouldn’t come after me with torches and pitchforks after I publically posted. lol

How this plays out, though, will definitely depend on whether or not “fortune telling” is an okay trait to have and what everyone is comfortable with. Plus, the people running the plot would need to be okay with occasionally working with me.

And I stand corrected! Government agencies might recruit based on perceived psychic ability. That's a bit of a scary thought! xD.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:10 am

OK, that makes more sense I think. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with the power as you've stipulated here. If everyone's willing to work with you, I think it could end up being pretty interesting.

And yeah, the CIA ran a project called "Stargate" where they blew ~20 million dollars trying to get self-proclaimed psychics to give them good intel regarding secret Soviet bases during the Cold War.

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Alright... so Quaker and Lumeus had decided to take charge of this, and even went so far as making an OOC with nothing in it. Its been sitting since December 11. I originally volunteered to commandeer this, so if everyone is still willing to go along with this, I can start it up again.

Oh, and if Quaker or Lumeus can actually post to let everyone know whether or not they are still actually working on it (as in, they have made solid progress since putting up the OOC), then that would be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm still very interested.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm

I'd still like to see this get off the ground, too!
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Same here. I've been checking in frequently. Glad to see it hasn't died already.

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:19 am

So here's a crazy thing.

I've been looking at this for a little while, wondering if I want to get back into roleplaying. "Maybe," I'll say to myself "I mean, it was pretty damn fun. It's been been a while, but hell, this is right up your alley, man." Last couple days, I keep checking and checking again to see exactly where this thing goes, then lying in bed thinking about super powers and characters and whatnot. Plus, I remember most of these these people... they're pretty good. And given that I'm basically been reading nothing but schlocky fantasy novels, I'm inclined to think that perhaps time has come for a re-emergence?

And then tonight I'm sitting here thinking at about 3 in the morning, can't get any sleep. Oh man, what power would I even use? Is Squalleh still in? And then my computer up and miraculously turns on. If that isn't a sign, goddamn, I dunno what is. Thank you for being a seer of mind, windows updates. geez.

If thing is still getting off the ground, I'm saying I'd love to be part of it.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Awesome. I will start working on the OOC tonight when I get off of work. I won't promise I will have it up by tonight, but I've already got the basics outlined, so it shouldn't take too long.

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Squalleh is still in, but in the midst of a move to another city. So he'll jump in when he's settled. Smile
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Now that things are finally settling down for me for a bit, I'm going to do my best to actually finish my profile. >.> As long as I can finish it, I'm still interested in the roleplay!

I will warn in advance that come February, I'll be vanishing for almost two weeks...hopefully, providing I finish my profile and get involved like I want to, we'll be able to figure something out IC.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:25 am

This is an idea that may help to get the group's creativity flowing again after our holiday hiatus.

This is a working timeline of events that everyone is allowed to chip in on, and it will eventually take one of the Reserved posts on the OOC page.

I've have made up a few key events that I think would have shaped history into the world our characters are currently living and I encourage you all to do the same. Smile

Timeline

February 4, 1978 - A masked vigilante stops a bank robbery in Los Angeles, California. The vigilante reportedly possessed super human strength, and threw one of the would-be robbers across the room "like he was a rag doll." Earning a story on the front page of the L.A. Times, this is the first instance of meta-human activity being covered by the media in the United States.

July 28, 1985 - Edward Beller, better know by his criminal alias, Harvest, is convicted of twelve accounts of murder in the first degree and is sentenced to death by electric chair. After four prison break attempts and the death of a prison guard, his public execution takes place three weeks after his sentencing.

October 15, 1993 - A group of meta-humans called The Axiom are awarded medals of honor by President Clinton for their actions in Somalia that led to the evacuation and rescue of seventy-four US soldiers. They were the first to receive this award since Vietnam.

April 18, 2008 - The Clash kills 643 people in New York City and causes billions in property damage. There is a national outcry for mutant registration.

May 3, 2008 - 7 meta-humans in Huntsville, Alabama are kidnapped, held prisoner for a week, tortured, and killed.

August 23, 2010 - The National Guard is deployed in Detroit, Michigan to suppress anti-mutant riots. In the aftermath three people are found dead, and thirty-six are critically wounded.

March 4, 2012 - A gang of mutants known as the "10%" attack the F.B.I. building in Chicago, Illinois. All of the members are killed in the attack as well as fifteen agents and nine federal employees.

March 9, 2013 - A mutant calling himself "Vindicator" is arrested in Boston, Massachusetts for acts of vigilantism and assault. He is sued for the assault and for a wrongful citizens arrest. He is fined 25,000 dollars and sentenced to 150 hours of supervised community service.

January 28, 2015 - Task Force: Vanguard is formed.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:00 am

oh man, this is REALLY near future. Ok, cool. Got my head around that. Gotta say, I really appreciate the mutant being sentenced to community service Smile

I do have a couple questions that aren't addressed in the write-up, though. First of all, are we actually playing in the Marvel universe? I know that that was discussed at one point, but I still don't know if that's actually something that you guys decided on.

Also, I'd like to know a little bit more about vigilantism. Does the government actually condone it if the vigilante gets results, or are all offenders treated like poor Vindicator there? I might just be being obtuse, but I'm still a little unclear.

Oh, while I'm up here anyway, would anybody mind horribly if I played somewhat of an... unusual technopath? I've had the concept on my mind for some time, and I'm a little infatuated by it. The unusual bit is that she's been dead for about 2 years.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:22 pm

That's a good question. I don't remember how much of the Marvel universe is incorporated or not incorporated. Anyone else remember? But I do love the time line you've established, Lumeus! It looks fantastic.

And, Buzzwulf, I love the idea of your dead technopath. Your character seems like such fun. Although, out of curiosity, why is she still hanging around after her death?

I don't mean my question to sound offensive or anything. I'm just really curious...
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:06 pm

You ever see Ghost in the Shell? I'm trying to work towards something a little bit like that. When she was alive, she could "talk" to machines, and that's about as far as her powers really went. Buuuut when she died, she learned how to transmit herself on radio waves into devices, and electronic equipment became her new body.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

I think we'd established that it is the Marvel Universe, however, our characters are definitely not the A list. They would be relatively low-powered compared to the X-men, for example. But, enough to fight other low-level Mutants.

I also believe Vigilantism is frowned upon (just as it is if you don't have powers now). That is why this task force is being tried.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Doesn't the whole dislike of vigilantism not really gel with the marvel universe, though? I mean, it seems like pretty much everyone's neighbor is running around with tights on in that setting. Unless we wanted to get into Civil War timeline shenanigans.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:47 pm

Mutants make up a very small part of the population. And some feel a 'calling' to fight evil. If caught, I'd imagine they'd be prosecuted and be forced into the public eye and all sorts of other bad things.

I don't think we've actually made a decision on this since no one's asked the question before. Just my thoughts on it. Smile
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Persecuting acts of vigilantism fits better with the storyline that we were establishing earlier. Judging from the time line, I think it would be odd if vigilantism wasn't frowned upon. There is already some back and forth between humans and mutants. Publicity won't allow for smiles and nods--something has to happen.

Just my two cents! Smile

Buzzwulf, that sounds like a totally awesome character! I really love the idea.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Buzzwulf, I agree that it sounds like an interesting character concept. I'm just curious - would the others be aware that she's dead? Or just that she had this ability and used it?

On the topic of vigilantism, I agree that persecution sounds more appropriate than acceptance. Even without the mutant aspect, I see most normal police forces being jealous and disliking when other people "step on their toes", which is basically what the mutants would be doing every time. It would only make things worse if the mutants were successful due to their "abnormalities".

Unrelated to the discussion, but related to my character... while I was attempting to write out how he came to understand his powers, I kept hitting wall after wall. But then the idea struck that, possibly, he wouldn't fully understand them, even now? My idea was that maybe he would think he was accepted into L.A.M.P due to his other skills, but I'd imagine the higher ups investigating his background and spotting the one mutant-related "issue" he had when he was younger and keeping him on watch(ish)...

The reason I'm bringing this up is I was thinking, maybe his abilities would have triggered again during L.A.M.P's first mission? I mean, he copies abilities that he sees in action, and the group probably would have seen...the face changer? I think that's what the criminal used. It's possible that the group could have even figured out the criminal's general location due to my guy's ability triggering unexpectedly (just throwing that out there as a possibility).

I just wanted to see what you all thought before I decided whether to go with this angle or not.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Having him unaware is a good idea, Lara. The task force could use the opportunity to take him in and 'train' him in a safe environment, perhaps?
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:42 pm

I think that would be a pretty interesting, as well.

As for it being in the Marvel Universe, I'm thinking it might make more sense for it not to be. I'd think it would be cool to see us create our own universe, as Lumeus has already started. Just my two cents.

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm

I agree. Having our own universe would allow for more creativity. Or, at the very least, more development. Especially since we kind of wanted a "smaller" scale.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 pm

I have to agree as well, mostly because of tech as well as the whole vigilantes thing. You got Reed Richards and the Battle Room and Cerebro and what have you in Marvel, and that just strikes me as not really what we're going for.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quakernuts Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 pm

To all and everyone involved!

Yes, I am still here. I'm sorry for kind of disappearing there for a bit, and I don't really have reasons or excuses as to why so I won't bother with them. I will, however, definitely get back into the swing of things and start writing up story/character/plot details soon.

As collateral to all you wonderful people out there, I have posted my character as proof of my words.

Can't promise a date as to when we'll have this thing up, but keep in mind that I'll be working on it.

As you were people!
quakernuts
quakernuts
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 pm

I did it! =D Finally!

P.S., Muse, I stole the name of your Psychiatrist. I thought it'd make sense that they were all interviewed at one point by the same person. Hope that's okay.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 pm

@Lara - Of course that's OK. Smile
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next