FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Theme Changer Thoughts?

+7
Gadreille
Sighlent
Loki
Gunneh
Lieutenant BB
MoiraofWords
Bird of Hermes
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you think of FOG's new theme-changer?

New Theme Changer Thoughts? Votele1019%New Theme Changer Thoughts? Voteri10 19% 
[ 3 ]
New Theme Changer Thoughts? Votele1013%New Theme Changer Thoughts? Voteri10 13% 
[ 2 ]
New Theme Changer Thoughts? Votele1019%New Theme Changer Thoughts? Voteri10 19% 
[ 3 ]
New Theme Changer Thoughts? Votele1044%New Theme Changer Thoughts? Voteri10 44% 
[ 7 ]
New Theme Changer Thoughts? Votele105%New Theme Changer Thoughts? Voteri10 5% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

New Theme Changer Thoughts? Empty New Theme Changer Thoughts?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi all, I've created this quick poll to gather your thoughts on our new theme-changer and theme (called Reverse... can you guess why?)

First off, if you can't figure it out, the changer is located just above the banner at the top. You can change the theme by clicking directly on the text. Make sure you click the text and not the banner though, or you will be redirected to "/index.htm".

The new theme is an exact negative (or "reverse") of the original. The theme changer works (in layman's terms) by taking two different Custom Style Sheets (CSS) and hosting them on an external FTP server. Javascript and "script minimizing" is then put into play in order for Forumotion software to recognize it. That's the basic idea of everything.

All of the images that you are seeing right now (mainly the logo, the who's online picture, the New Post, etc. buttons) are directly from the CSS and not simply thrown in there via the admin panel. In order for the theme-changer to work, about 90% of the graphics used must be from the two CSS files; otherwise its a complete fail.

Anywho, all the techy-talk aside; what do you think of FOG's new theme-changer (poll and post) and FOG's new Reverse theme (post only please).

If you notice anything that needs to be changed to... well... suit your eyes... then please let me or Weiss know. Smile

Back to top Go down

New Theme Changer Thoughts? Empty Re: New Theme Changer Thoughts?

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 pm

I like it... except the bright orange and my detest of smiles... both of which are personal.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't like the reverse theme. It is too bright, and hard to look at. Makes dark pictures look sharper, but that is about it. I kind of like the orange icons for new posts in threads, but I don't like the orange writing on the profile bar.

So, overall, I don't much care for it. Sorry...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Its not a problem Silvone. I was expecting some dislikes too; buts that the beauty of having an FTP . I can shove as many themes as I want in there and give you guys several options.

FYI: The orange text was a last minute thing that I did about... oooh say.... 20 minutes or so ago? XD The former light blue text wouldn't be readable on Reverse.

Those text fields remain separate from that 90% of control the switcher has over the board's look. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do right now but find a color that shows up well across all themes. And you can blame Weiss for the orange, he suggested it. Razz *points accusingly at Weiss with a big grin*

So anway, if you have any suggestions for the next theme, let us know and we'll get right on it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 pm

I don't mind the orange for the icons, I just don't like the amount of orange in the profile bar. It is...distracting. It forces your eye away from the post. But then again, a lighter color, as you said, wouldn't show up in the reverse theme.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm

I think I just found out what "orange icons" you're talking about. The ones to represent threads in the sub-indexes right?

Actually, those are still the original icons that Fate designed. The orange you're seeing never showed up in Default because it blended well enough to be a shadow. To be honest, I'm not sure yet if that's actually an orange, or if its an illusion created by the pixels. I'll take a look at it and see if I can take away the orange shadow.

EDIT: No wait. It is orange... an orange glow. >.<

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:09 pm

I also like the orange icons representing new posts and the such.

But the bright orange text on the right? It kinda detracts from everything.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Seeing as how the "Character Name" field in our mini Caligo Character sheet's has suddenly changed to blue, I assume Weiss is working on some more changes now. He's also changed the tint in the ranks so they are universal as well.

I'm sure if you ask nicely, he'll change the orange profile fields to something more... suitable. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm sure if you ask nicely, he'll change the orange profile fields to something more... suitable.

Please, please, please.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lieutenant BB Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm not sure I like it so much. It's very bright and it makes it hard to look at the screen. It does look interesting, but I don't see it as something I'm going to be using. Sorry! D:
Lieutenant BB
Lieutenant BB
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Lieutenant BB wrote:I'm not sure I like it so much. It's very bright and it makes it hard to look at the screen. It does look interesting, but I don't see it as something I'm going to be using. Sorry! D:

Like I said, its not a problem. We're always accepting to ideas and suggestions for future themes, and improvements on current ones. An example of an improvement would be the new table formatting in the Default theme:

http://www.footstepsofghosts.com/memberlist.forum

The memberslist page is an example of a table. Notice something different about it in the Default theme? It has no lines that you would normally find in a standard table. With the lines removed the table has a really neat shade effect going on and it looks perfect with the CSS rounded corners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:30 pm

I like the new indigo color.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Yes, it is much better than orange Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lieutenant BB Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

I like it~
Lieutenant BB
Lieutenant BB
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Maybe it's just because I'm co-owner of Agenda Labs (who graciously put this together for us *pats himself on the back and waves a flag that says "GO DION AND AGENDA!" across it*), but....

BAH DAH BAH BAH BAH!
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Razz Thanks Gunneh! But you still won't get wages until after I get back from Basic. XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 am

I like the look, but the colors are a little too bright for my tastes.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:19 pm

I know I won't be using it just because like everyone's saying, it's WAY to bright. It literally hurts to look at. But on this topic of changing everything when you installed that it also changed stuff on the default that I really HATE like the "Join Date, Posts, Age etc." it looks purple now and it looks ridiculous. Also if I had to stake my life on it I would actually say that the posts and everything have narrowed down severely. Which looks really off. :S
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 pm

The one thing I can't stand is the orange "new post" lit icons. I won't be using the alternate theme but I wouldn't much care if the icon's weren't orange. It just doesn't have that crisp, professional look that it had with the light blue.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Honestly, I have to say it was pefectly fine the way it was originally...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 pm

I agree completely and totally with Ryona and Silvone. Especially in the case that it does not look as professional as it was before.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 pm

I really don't understand the narrowing thing, myself. Agenda stated that Dion narrowed it intentionally, but the purpose of doing so escapes me, since that could only accomplish messing up the images and such in particular roleplays and general threads.

The colors in the profiles are my fault, because I've been trying to find a color that matches (and shows up clearly) in both themes.

As for personal qualms, I'm just a bit irritated that a number of the icons that were in use were either eliminated or changed by the implementation of the theme-changer, such as the moderation buttons inside the topics and a few other things.

If the majority agrees that the theme-changer isn't in the best interest of FOG as a whole, then I'll have it removed. It seems to be creating more problems than anything.

Edit: As per Kalon's suggestion, I decided to try a dark-ish gray for the profile fields. In my opinion, it looks a ton better than the orange and the purple I had tried before. So, unless there are any qualms with it, I'll keep that. Honestly, I don't even remember the color it was originally. I'd have to dig up some old screenshots of threads if it came to needing the original colors.

Of course, if we end up wiping out the entire theme-changer, we'll just use the option to revert to a previous theme and it won't even matter. [Shrugs.]
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm

The width can be changed, the images can be restored, and the colors can be worked out. Or, as Weiss mentioned, we can trash this project entirely. If you'd give me a chance to alter the CSS a little then everything will be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Don't trash it. It's a fine idea. It just needs work.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 pm

I keep trying the alternate theme, but it just doesn't suit my taste, which is completely personal. On other sites I have visited, it seems that theme changers were used for holidays or marking changes in the season, and all we have here is black vs. white (not that this wasn't a huge accomplishment, it was!), with most of us preferring the dark colors and therefore dark theme. Perhaps when you have worked out coding/coloring kinks and you are able to explore this a little more people will be more interested and enjoy alternate themes more.

Also, maybe it would be easier for you guys if you tried to stick to darker themes, so that colors are visible on all themes that are available? Just a thought.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dion Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:12 am

Weiss wrote:I really don't understand the narrowing thing, myself. Agenda stated that Dion narrowed it intentionally, but the purpose of doing so escapes me, since that could only accomplish messing up the images and such in particular roleplays and general threads.

The colors in the profiles are my fault, because I've been trying to find a color that matches (and shows up clearly) in both themes.

As for personal qualms, I'm just a bit irritated that a number of the icons that were in use were either eliminated or changed by the implementation of the theme-changer, such as the moderation buttons inside the topics and a few other things.

If the majority agrees that the theme-changer isn't in the best interest of FOG as a whole, then I'll have it removed. It seems to be creating more problems than anything.

Edit: As per Kalon's suggestion, I decided to try a dark-ish gray for the profile fields. In my opinion, it looks a ton better than the orange and the purple I had tried before. So, unless there are any qualms with it, I'll keep that. Honestly, I don't even remember the color it was originally. I'd have to dig up some old screenshots of threads if it came to needing the original colors.

Of course, if we end up wiping out the entire theme-changer, we'll just use the option to revert to a previous theme and it won't even matter. [Shrugs.]
Hi, Dion here. The guy who wrote the theme-changer.

http://www.footstepsofghosts.com/-t2179.htm

The date on the above post was last week, but I know you were aware of the test board for longer than that. I wish you had gone over to the test board and taken a look at what was being done. I could have addressed your issues before the theme-changer went live.

As it is, the test board currently addresses all the issues raised by members. Please take a look and let me know what you think. (The moderation buttons, which can only be seen by seven of your 500 members, can be replaced here in about 90 seconds. If you require assistance in doing so, I am happy to help.)

This offer to check out the test board applies to all the members here. There is a forum set up where you can make posts as guests.

Here is the URL of the test board:

http://agendalabs4.forumotion.com/index.htm

dion
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 am

It's good now. The only thing is that some of the dark gray buttons don't change to light gray in the white theme. If you could get them to change, yay. If not, fine. Or you might try making a more 50% gray, if it doesn't make the buttons stand out too much in the original dark theme.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Yes, I was told about the test board, but I wasn't given any reason to believe that there was anything I needed to check into. After all, the things on the test board were all working properly, according to Agenda and as far as I could tell. Furthermore, since I couldn't very well log in as a moderator, noticing some of the problems would have been impossible before the theme-changer was implemented here. It doesn't help, either, that until you joined FOG, I had no idea how to contact you and Agenda was the only means of finding out anything.

As I told Agenda, it isn't that I - or the rest of FOG - was or am ungrateful for the work that went into the theme-changer, but I was also under the impression that we were getting a fully tested and operational item. It's like purchasing a lamp and finding out the cord is frayed and the bulb fixture is loose. At the time I made that post you quoted, there was a lot of negative feedback and no one saying, "Wow, this theme-changer was definitely a good addition to the site!" So, in my mind, uninstalling it was the best course of action if the issues we were finding couldn't be quickly and easily fixed.

However, most of the issues have been fixed. That being the case, I no longer see a need to take down the theme-changer.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:33 pm

If you notice anything that needs to be changed to... well... suit your eyes... then please let me or Weiss know.

I have to say that I was also under the impression that this was not a work in progress, and that everything we were commenting on was based upon personal preference such as color preference, not catching testing errors.

Not that my opinion has any weight or anything, just thought I'd mention that in case others were also of that impression.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:58 pm

I am quite grateful.

I posted a question on the test board, though I didn't bother to create an account.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next