FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING}

+2
Sorrel
vitamin_kitten
6 posters

Go down

System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING} Empty System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING}

Post by vitamin_kitten Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:53 am

Navigation links
IC Thread
Character profiles

The year is ----. Well, perhaps the year is irrelevant. What purpose does it serve but to mark the passing of days and mark when people are born, the length of their lives, the day that they die? What use are dates to beings who live forever?

The scientific community threw a huge frickin' party the day the human brain was mapped in its entirety. Every single neuron, every single structure, every single crease, crevice, and ventricle had a purpose and a function, and the neuroscientists and psychologists knew what they were. Gone were the days when speculation was all they had to go on. The mysteries and intricacies of the senses, of language, of reasoning and logic- they were no more. The mysteries had been solved, and suddenly, human nature didn't seem quite so complex.

With the mapping of the entire human brain, it was now possible to replicate the patterns that made human beings individuals. In short, the soul and substance of humans could be cloned and, dare I say it? preserved. Oh, the world was wary at first. This was not the place of science. What was science doing dabbling in such concepts as the "soul," anyway? That was religion's territory, wasn't it?

The first experiments were conducted on individuals suffering from terminal illness or complications from an illness or surgery. These individuals were not expected to live through the night. Once they were deterimined to be of sound mind, they signed their consent and the waiver of liability should the experiment fail. In less than an hour, their entire brains were mapped and the patterns were stored onto discs, which eventually gained the moniker SoulDiscs. The SoulDiscs were then inserted into crude robotic skeletons that were nothing more than metal frames entwined with cables, wires, and coils.

What happened next served as the springboard for what became of the human race.

These skeletons- Frames- were equipped with the same components that allow any other electronic or computer system to "speak." Photosensitive areas were arrayed on the Frames' faces, exactly like eyes, and chemical-sensitive components were added to the center of the "faces" and inside the hinged jaw. The Frames, powered electrically and programmed with the SoulDiscs, spoke, saw, tasted, and smelled, and recalled every moment of the invalids' lives that they had been able to recall themselves. No one could believe what had been achieved. No one spoke out loud what had essentially just happened.

Souls had been transferred from a handful of dying bodies into the metal skeletons set aside for them. And these people watched, with clear minds and no pain, as their old bodies wasted away and eventually died in a matter of hours, or, at the most, a few days.

Scientists had created immortality.

Controversy quickly sprang up. This shouldn't be allowed. It was unethical. It screwed with the natural course of things, the natural course of life. Human beings were not meant to live forever. God would send a scourge over the earth to stop this work of Satan.

What God has to do with it, I have no idea. Once the scientists had made a stable case for the transfer of a soul for physically disabled persons, the controversy began to dissipate. And then a trend began for those with enough money, who custom-made their own Frames. Suddenly, Jumping from your old body and into a new, young, perfect, immortal one was the new plastic surgery. And then soul preservation was authorized for soldiers- while they went off to fight and possibly die in a war, their essence would be saved on a SoulDisc, should they not return home. Those that left their bodies to be burned and buried on foreign ground found themselves waking up at home with their husbands, wives, children, and dogs- healthy, alive, and able to live forever.

And in one fell swoop, it became policy, all over the world, that anyone of the age of majority could choose to Jump, if they could afford it. Frames became customized Dolls for the rich, who eventually decided it was cheaper to fund the creation and upkeep of Dolls for everyone than it was to solve world hunger. Because Dolls don't have to eat. Dolls run on solar energy and are much easier to repair than human bodies.

It was a choice that more than 99% of the world made. Those who weren't Dolls simply didn't see the appeal of living forever, and thought it was riskier to live inside the body of a machine- fallible man's creation, rather than God's perfect creation.

Again, I don't know what God has to do with any of this.

Dolls are perfect and immortal. Dolls are beautiful and virtually indestructable. Dolls do not require food, do not require doctors, do not require excessive amounts of energy to stay cool or warm or protected against the elements. Dolls have eliminated most human waste, and the environment has Dolls to thank for her turnaround.

We are immortal. We are p3rfect.

Some Important Questions and Answers

Where does this RP take place?
{
An English-speaking country- let's say the United States or Canada. This doesn't mean your character has to be from here.

Is everyone a Doll?
{
Not everyone in the world is a Doll. Most people choose to Jump into a Doll (transfer their soul via SoulDisc into a Doll) when they reach their country's age of majority. There are some people who choose not to for moral or ethical reasons, and some who just don't see the appeal. There are others who are postponing their Jump out of fear or in order to have children. Finally, there are others who are not allowed to Jump- anyone with a psychological disorder would be a huge danger to others in a body as strong as a Doll's. Those with other mental deficiencies are also not allowed to Jump.

How do Dolls have children?
{
If a couple (or a single Doll) decides they want children after Jumping, they are free to adopt or cultivate their own through a surrogate. It is standard procedure to harvest the eggs and sperm of the bodies being left behind for later use by the Dolls. Women who do not Jump often make quite alot of money serving as surrogates for Dolls.

Can Dolls get sick?
{
Nope. They are entirely machine and are immune to human illnesses.

Are Dolls anatomically correct?
{
They are. They can even have physical relationships with one another; they are, however, completely unable to bear children, and STDs do not exist among them. As a result, the creation of Dolls started another sexual revolution.

Can Dolls die if they choose?
{
If a Doll chooses that they have lived long enough, they are free to go to a Technohealer, who will administer a painless electrical shock that essentially fries the Doll's system beyond repair. The Doll is then dissembled and the salvageable parts go towards new Dolls; the others are recycled in other ways.

What abilities do Dolls have? Are they super-fast? Do they have guns or other weaponry attached to them?
{
Dolls are made to be as closely human as possible. The biggest differences are their clarity of senses- vision, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. This also means that pain is somewhat amplified. Dolls are also more durable when it comes to physical endurance- they can generally do any physical activity for a longer period of time without being tired.

How do heat and cold affect Dolls?
{
Dolls can feel the differences between hot and cold temperatures, and are actually more sensitive to them due to their heightened and clearer senses. However, their bodies, being made out of wires and metal, don't really have a need to protect against extreme temperatures, so reflexes like shivering or sweating don't occur. Extreme heat and cold are merely experienced as discomfort. Heat is much more dangerous than cold, as it could fry their systems and make them irreparable. Extreme cold would mostly slow them down, but freezing could cause parts of their internal workings to break or fail, requiring repairs, and, in the most extreme cases, another Jump/a new Doll.

Do Dolls sleep?
{
Yes! And dream. It is more like a standby mode and their dreams have the tendency to be rather generic, like a screen saver. Depending on the quality of their inner mechanics, however, some Dolls can dream the way humans do. Dolls are technically solar-powered, absorbing sunlight through their synthetic skin during the day, which recharges the standby energy source for the evening hours.

Do Dolls eat?
{
Only for pleasure. They are created with systems that expel any food taken in, but their bodies do not need the nutrients. Dolls are equipped with taste receptors and therefore eat food for its enjoyment.

What happens to a person's soul after they've Jumped into a Doll?
{
It is kept on the SoulDisc in a SoulDisc Resevoir. It is illegal to insert a soul into more than one Doll at a time, or after a Doll has requested to be Dispatched. The only time a soul is re-inserted into a Doll is for serious police investigations. For this reason, a Doll's current soul is backed up onto their SoulDisc as a precaution, and all SoulDiscs are kept under heavy security and surveillance in the SoulDisc Resevoir. People are allowed to Jump from Doll to Doll if they would like; when this occurs, their current soul is backed up onto their SoulDisc, so that no memories or experiences are lost.

Are Dolls really immortal?
{
>3

So what is the world like now?
{
Pretty much the same as it ever was, though mostly, things have changed for the better. Disease is hardly as rampant as it was, poverty and hunger are no longer an issue, though wars still ocassionally break out for the same reasons they always do. They are just fought with different weapons and different methods. It is probably that there are certain new technologies extant, though I'm thinking this isn't set so far into the future that people live on other planets or are taking regular vacations in their spaceships.

Does my character have to be a Doll?
{
Nope.

Is there any actual plot to this?
{
There will be. I promise. It's more fun to introduce it later though.

How do I join?
{
The best question of all! If you'd like to join, fill out and PM the character profile in the next post (you can also post it in this thread).

Where can I ask a question if it's not answered here or if one comes up?
{
You can PM me or ask it here, and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

Last edited by vitamin_kitten on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING} Empty Re: System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING}

Post by vitamin_kitten Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:57 am

As much as I hate character profiles, I think they will be very helfpul for this type of RP. They're just basic skeletons to help keep track of who's who and whatnot. So fill it out and send it to me/post it here if you'd like to join.

Character's first and last name
Nickname if they have one
Human or Doll
Age if Human/Age they Jumped if Doll, and apparent age of Doll
Occupation if they're more than a lazy bum

vitamin_kitten
Vivienne "Vi" Charles
Doll
Doll appears to be in early 20s
Technohealer apprentice

Sorrel
Ever "Ev" Adler
Human
Anti-doll activist/free media publisher/works part time at a book store

Eternity
Emilia "Vanity" Potter
Doll
Doll appears to be 19
Criminal/Thief

Jesse Hagood
Human
Firefighter/Intern for Doll Construction

CyB3r PuNk
Chris "Cyber Punk" Roe
Doll
Doll appears to be in mid-20s
Singer of the band LoudSpeaker

Kaedai
Damien "Shadow" Cole
Doll
Doll appears to be 21
Assassin/Special Agent

The Literate Angel
Alice Rosanna "Annie" Margatroid
Doll
Doll appears to be 21

As a side note, I often use NPC type characters to assist with moving the plot along- they're not really ... character characters, if that makes any sense. For example, there is a doctor type guy I'll also be using, but mostly as someone for Vi to interact with and get the plot to where it needs to go (I guess it's just my style of GMing). Anyway, I felt the need to disclaimer that so there was no confusion or anything.

Last edited by vitamin_kitten on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING} Empty Re: System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING}

Post by Sorrel Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Please join, I think this could be really fun to RP.
Sorrel
Sorrel
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 pm

It is possible, if no one else joins and I get really impatient, to turn this into a one-on-one, if you're interested. We could each pick up another character or two to move it along better.

If no one else joins.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorrel Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Sounds good to me.
Sorrel
Sorrel
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorrel Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Well, it doesn't seem like anyone is going to join...So how about we set up a one on one now? I'll pm you.
Sorrel
Sorrel
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Vitamin!
OMG I'm a retard, you can totally hit me in the face. I saw your IC and thought it was like, interest check or something, so I moved it into the OOC. AND THEN I SAW YOUR OOC.

Lolz.

I love you, I do, and I deleted all abstract posts within that IC and put it back in the... IC!
So uh, yeah. I ask that you add an OOC link in it so people know where to go to sign up.

THanks, I'll make a character one day soon.

~ETernity
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by [Soma] Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:36 pm

I would like to join also, take a look at my profile sheet for characters in the vault and pick one of those or I can make a specific one for this one.
[Soma]
[Soma]
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 am

@Eternity: Haha, it's cool- I mod stuff on Gaia, so I know how that goes, with moving and deleting threads by accident. I actually made the OOC before I made the IC, because I didn't realize things were done a little differently here than what I'm used to. I haven't checked the IC in a while, so I don't know if anyone's actually posted- I've technically only okayed one person, so no one else should have posted. Feel free to delete the IC thread for now until I've okayed more people (or gotten more interest)- it's just copy and paste for me to create a new one. Nod

@CP: I'd prefer for you to choose/create a character for this RP- you're the one playing them after all.

Sorry I've been gone for a little while without notice- my life suddenly got really hectic and busy and I just didn't have the time or motivation to post anything. ^^; I think we're good now though. XD;
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

It's okay! And if you like, we can leave the IC up. You didn't do anything at all wrong, it was just the way your post kind of was a descriptive bit about the story line, I didn't know if it was the IC or an Interest Check possibly, or something else. So anyways; no harm no foul.

I would ask then if I may have two characters? I'd like a doll and a human, and a relationship between the two (like siblings).
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kædai Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Hm...I would very much like to join. Very Happy

If you would have me, of course.
Kædai
Kædai
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm going to make two characters; if you do not like this, just tell me and I'll mark out one of them.

Name: Emilia Potter
Nickname: "Vanity"
Human or Doll: Doll
Appears- 19
Actual Age- 34
System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING} Jaime_10

Name: Jesse Hagood
Nickname: "Jesse"
Human or Doll: Human
System Failur3 OOC {NO LONGER ACCEPTING} 236214
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Looks good- I'll add the profiles to the list. Nod

Kedai, go ahead and fill out the profile- I don't need a description or picture of them- I'm hoping for all that IC.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by [Soma] Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 am

Chris Roe
Cyber Punk
Doll
19 ( looks in mid-twenties)
Cyber Punk, or also known as Chris Roe is a singer. Unlike most dolls he acts causal and laid back. Cyber Punk is also known for being in a Industrial Band called LoudSpeaker.
Image of Cyber Punk

Last edited by CyB3r PuNk on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Soma]
[Soma]
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kædai Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:46 am

Alright, well, here's my profile. Hope you like it. Smile

Name:
Damien Cole
Alias:
Shadow
Race:
Doll
Looks: 21
Real: 24
Assassin/Special Agent

Last edited by Kædai on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Kædai
Kædai
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Literate Angel Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 am

Name: Alice Rosanna Margatroid

Nickname: Annie

Human or Doll: Doll

Appeared 12 then appeared 21
Actual age 23

The Literate Angel
The Literate Angel
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:23 pm

@Cyber Punk: I'm not so sure how realistic it would be for someone to be a "secret agent" of the government and be in a band- I'm thinking you should pick one or the other, and if you pick "secret agent," I'd prefer if you were a bit more specific. I don't think "secret agent" is an actual job title.

@The Literate Angel: I'm going to put "none" under occupation in your character's profile, since being a daughter of a prestigious family isn't an occupation- it's a status. Nod
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:27 pm

And I'm no longer accepting profiles. Everything looks good and we can go ahead and start. Nod
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kædai Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 pm

So...wait, am I accepted? If not, that's fine.
Kædai
Kædai
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Literate Angel Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:27 pm

That sounds fine. Thank you for accepting me. :3
The Literate Angel
The Literate Angel
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Kædai wrote:So...wait, am I accepted? If not, that's fine.

You are- I added your profile to the profile list. Nod Sorry, forgot to say so in my last post. silent
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by [Soma] Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Fixed my error.
[Soma]
[Soma]
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:48 pm

Awesome. Smile Thanks. Very Happy
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Literate Angel Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 am

Is anyone else going to post?
The Literate Angel
The Literate Angel
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by [Soma] Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 am

I will post in awhile, I am getting my thoughts upgraded for my intro post.
[Soma]
[Soma]
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kædai Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Sorry I haven't posted yet guys. I've been insanely busy with getting ready for school and whatnot. I'll try to post soon...ish. >.>
Kædai
Kædai
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down