FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kestrel versus Condor - Battle of Britain - WWII Scenario RP

Go down

Kestrel versus Condor  - Battle of Britain - WWII Scenario RP Empty Kestrel versus Condor - Battle of Britain - WWII Scenario RP

Post by Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Saint Michel and I were essentially discussing the idea of doing WWII RP, and I realized that the best way to organize it was to do put some of my brand new set of polyhedral dice to use and work it up via the chart I'll post below.

The idea was to do RP scenarios designed to be short-duration, or at least, designed to end. This made sense from a WWII perspective of focusing on one thing at a time in one place.

I came up with Northern Europe, Air Forces and the English.

So I decided on the following scenario:

Kestrel versus Condor

Kestrel versus Condor  - Battle of Britain - WWII Scenario RP StPauls2
St. Paul's Cathedral, London, during the Battle of Britain

In June of 1940, the invasion of France was effectively over, thanks to a stunning victory on the part of the Germans, who used superior organization and the lessons learned of the late part of the First World War to take their revenge on the victors, humiliating them in grand fashion. Before the ink was even dry on the surrender of France, while the British were still trying to sort themselves out, the plans for "Operation Sea Lion" came forth.

Winston Churchill became Prime Minister during this time, and gave speeches of defiance thrown in the teeth of the fascist madman, Adolf Hitler, whom he'd warned against during his years in the political wilderness. All the same, Great Britain was digging in for the worst.

The characters are members of Royal Air Force Squadron No. 66 out of Biggin Hill, tasked with defending the capital, London, from the German bombers. This unit is not new, but the men staffing it generally are, as a result of the wartime necessity of sending experienced people through to different units and filling in the rest of the roster with replacement pilots. For almost all of the men, this will be the first engagement they will fight.

Characters can be Commonwealth, Poles or American volunteers, though the latter are rare. The Eagle Squadrons have not formed yet, and the British aren't asking too many questions about qualified pilots.

In this instance, non-military characters are certainly allowed; the UK used women extensively in various parts of the military and as civilian auxiliaries. As this fight was on the homefront, it makes sense to have female characters involved if players wish.

At the cost of twelve hundred aircraft and six hundred pilots, the Royal Air Force destroyed more than four thousand German aircraft and killed twelve hundred aircrew, in the process. All this against the horriffic cost of nearly sixty thousand civilians who were killed by the German bombers; this, more than anything, perhaps accounts for the desperate skill and cavalier disregard for safety with which the Royal Air Force pilots fought for home and hearth; with them went the fate of Western civilization.

This is the table I used to generate the scenario. Once I had those three items, it was easy to figure out the rest.

(Where - 1D6)
1: Northern Europe
2: Eastern Front
3: Mediterranean Europe
4: North Africa/Middle East
5: East Asia
6: Pacific

(What - 1D4)
1: Naval
2: Air
3: Infantry/conventional ground
4: Unconventional

(Whom 1d8 - Reroll if inconsistent with geography)
1: Germans
2: English
3: French
4: Americans
5: Soviets
6: Japanese
7: Italians
8: Other (Poles, Filipinos, Chinese, Dutch, Brazilians, and so forth)

Back to top Go down