FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeons and Dragons

+4
Loki
Dio the Awesome
Fluff
Ehoron
8 posters

Go down

Dungeons and Dragons Empty Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 am

Few people have not heard of Dungeons and Dragons, even if it was only in a passing comment of something like "D&D is for nerds". For more than 30 years, it has been a table-top roleplaying game that has caught the imaginations of many. As of 2006, Dungeons & Dragons remains the best-known and best-selling role-playing game, with an estimated 20 million people having played the game and more than US$1 billion in book and equipment sales.

Whether it be from AD&D, Third Edition, 3.5, or the recent Fourth Edition, this is the place to talk about your favorite classes, spells, feats, races, unusual gaming sessions, and flat-out hilarious incidents.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Dungeons and Dragons Empty Re: Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Fluff Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:50 am

This one time, in band camp, I stuck a d20 in my--*is shot*
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:53 am

-blows the smoke away-
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 am

Oh hey! It's a thread I should of responded to but over looked somehow!

I actually have a DnD session today-ish at 6:30 pm Mountain time.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I've been wanting to try it for the longest time, and after countless months of hassling my friend to include me in a campaign, things finally worked out for me last Sunday.

I must admit, I had a blast even though luck wasn't on my side for the first combat I was ever involved in. Being a beginner, I played a paladin character and was given good starting stats and full plate armor. I was having trouble landing a successful attack on the orc I was fighting, hitting him only once in the four turns I was able to fight. Up until that point, he hadn't been able to inflict any damage to me whatsoever. That is until his fourth attack against me when the DM hit a lucky streak of rolls and critted me to the point where my character's leg was cut off. That's right, absolutely no damage until that turn where he managed to sever my leg and take me out of the fight.

Thankfully the rest of the party managed to finish the battle and keep me from bleeding out, then immediately proceeded to loot the corpses and scan the area. Mind you that we are all only level 2 at this point and I am just sitting there with my leg in my hand begging everybody to head back to town in hopes of getting it reattached. Bastards. After several minutes I was able to convince them that a peg leg would not, in fact, be acceptable and thanks to the concern from the one of the group members, we returned to the town and got it reattached. Granted I lost 5 speed because of it, but at least it wasn't a wooden peg.

Hopefully luck is on my side this Sunday…
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 pm

My friends and I once attempted to play DnD... Our short attention spans lasted until we finished making characters. ):

I am curious enough about the game that I'd probably try to play again, though, and I think I know someone up at college who might play it...
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm about to play 4E for the first time and I am shocked how -different- it is. I wouldn't actually stick with 4E (I like 3rd edition so much better) except that the group I am about to play with on Sundays is doing 4E and I suppose the fun of the game trumps ruleset preferences.

Speaking as a veteran of D&D, I honestly can say if you have the right group, you will have the time of your life and the sessions will fly by too quickly. It's easy to get addicted.

Use facebook or meetup.com and you will find a group in your area. D&D dorks are like the Templar-type guys in "The Da Vinci Code"; they're there, you just gotta dig for them.

Very Happy

Last edited by Heyseuss on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm

4 Edition...heh' so you don't want me to talk about the Basic Set?
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm not a fan of 4E. It's D&D for WoW rejects. Sure 3.5 may be a bit on the broken side and have a couple dozen source books, but it's going to be completely impossible to break 4e, since everyone is the exact same. There's no variation on the way the power system works for anyone, everyone's abilities are based on combat to such a degree that most of them seem totally identical, and anyone can cast non-combat magic, thus taking much of the appeal out of the mage classes. I'll take "broken" 3.5 to blandly violent 4e any day.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

I got the impression that the magic system was way limited, which blows, since I have a ranger/wizard. I decided that even without the Arcane Archer prestige class, he'd be an arcane archer in my mind, at least.

I'll roll with the game and enjoy myself, and live with the system. Can-do, and good RP transcends bad rulesets, usually. Hopefully. Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 pm

You know, for those who want a new edition, btu dislike $th, here is a link for you! It's 3.75, or more commonly know as Pathfinder. It take all the shitty stuff out of 3.5, and adds all the good points of 4, check it out here:

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG

Check it out.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 pm

I tried 4th, wasn't bad. I was playing with people who enjoyed themselves and had humor.

I played an elf going through an awkward adolescent-rage period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:00 am

Turns out luck was on my side this past Sunday. This time around I managed to sever a bandit's arm off with a spear. That's right, I speared his arm right off. I was so proud of the way I avenged my leg that I decided to keep the arm for the time being. It is currently mounted on my longspear as a medal of honor. Warriror
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:40 am

XD

Oh man, the reminds me of this one time I was DM-ing. I didn't realize that he had equipped a war hammer before the fight, and he rolled a 20 on one of his attack rolls. He did lethal damage, so I told him that he cut the man in half.

He laughed and yelled, "I cut him in half with a hammer?! That's the best critical hit ever!"

>.<
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:00 pm

I once suggested to my DM that my non-combat critter (I just had to have one for role-playing sake) should be lit by our wizard's light spell and fly into the next room so we could see what was in there.

The DM then reminded me that the last room had cross-bow traps in it and asked me if I still wanted to do it.

I said yes.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm sticking to 3.5, though it's impossible to find the books offline anymore. I play D&D with my family, especially over the holidays. We haven't yet finished our current dungeon, though I doubt I'll survive considering I'm slowly succumbing to lycanthropy. Sad
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down