FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical

2 posters

Go down

The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical Empty The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical

Post by Ceridwen Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Okay, I joined the site about a week or so ago, but I've hesitated to invade any established threads, and most of the other interest checks that appealed to me have already been fulfilled, so I thought I'd try putting forth my own.

Imagine a world set two hundred years past the present date, where everything has changed dramatically after the last great world war finally broke out. With a cataclysmic explosion of bombs that touched every corner of the planet, from desolate tundra to sun-drenched beach, from thickly wooded forestland to deserts that have not seen rain in years, the surface of our planet as we know it was forever destroyed. Only then, when the totality of their destruction came to light, did humanity set aside their petty differences long enough to struggle for the ultimate goal: survival.

It was survival that led the world's leading scientists to develop rapid methods of excavation so that large caverns could be dug out of the earth's crust, then transformed via artificial UV ray replication and a lot of hard work into habitable "domes" where the people now live. Inside each dome is a town or a city, depending on the size of each structure, and they are connected by an interlocking network of subways and bridges that are heavily guarded, in case of violence or disease breaking out. Instead of farming wheat and rice, genetically modified versions of each have become the staple crop, and concrete and metal have replaced almost all wood-based products and structures, given the scarcity of surviving forests.

More alarming, yet still a secret to most, the world's many fairytale creatures have been forced to accustom to the same new lifestyles as their mundane counterparts--after all, an elf cannot survive without a forest, nor a vampire without a consistent source of blood. One might think that certain, more sinister varieties of fantastical creatures would thrive in the new underground environments, but humanity has changed. People are now much more paranoid and inclined to violence, determined not to stumble into such catastrophe again. If anything, such creatures are bound by even more restrictive rules for existence, as it's more important than ever that they keep their existence hidden for survival's sake.

So yeah, it doesn't have to be in this world, but I thought it might be interesting to some. If you want to play with me, I ask that you have the capacity for advanced roleplay (proper spelling and grammar, posts longer than a single line each--though if characters are just having a conversation, I'm more lenient with post length) and that if you want to play a fantasy creature, you don't make them TOO ridiculous and/or powerful (no half-vampyre-half-dragon-half-superheroes please). I also strongly prefer past-tense third-person, but that's not a requirement.

Any takers?

(and if this summary sounds really awful, please forgive me, I'm running a 102 fever today. ^-^;Wink

Ceridwen
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical Empty Re: The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical

Post by DarkGoddess Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm definitely interested Smile

I am capable of doing multi-paragraph in-character, but do you mean 'advanced roleplay' by this website's standards? Or just by the rules you stated here? I have difficulties fulfilling the advanced roleplay standards on this site but your rules are perfectly fine for me.

Do you have a plot in mind?
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical Empty Re: The World Below--a dystopian future that mixes technology with the fantastical

Post by Ceridwen Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:40 am

It depends what you mean by their rules, if you mean post length, then like I said, it's fine as long as you don't give me just one line at a time outside of quick conversation. I don't think that quantity necessarily = quality, and I'd rather play with someone who has well written short posts than so-so long posts, though long AND well-written posts are the most fun to read. :p
And I have a few plot ideas, but they're more dependent on what sort of character my partner wants to play. I have a wide cast of characters that I'm not afraid to change for a situation, so I can adapt easily to whatever plot we choose. I'm kind of new at forum posting, I've mostly just rped on instant messenger and email, so I'm used to brainstorming with my partner to settle on a plot.

Ceridwen
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:39 am

There is a length requirement for role-play posts. Casual and One-on-One role-playing posts only have to be at least two paragraphs and at least ten sentences in length. Advanced role-playing posts must be at least four paragraphs and at least thirty sentences long. One-word 'sentences' do not count as a sentence for this purpose. Please note that improper grammar can cause a post to fall below our standards. For instance, if there are ten sentences worth of content, but it's formatted badly so that you type it only as eight, then you are falling below standards.

That's what I meant by this site's standards. I can write fairly good posts, it's just that I find certain times, like during dialogue or fighting posts, that it's difficult to keep up with that. 1x1 roleplay rules I believe are in that quote as well. ^^

Do you have msn? If you do, then add me and we can brainstorm together if you want. If not, well give me a premise and we can build off of that. And I have a cast of characters to choose from as well. Not to mention, if none of them work for an rp I can create a new one.

Any characters of yours speaking to you right now? Ones that want to be put in an rp?
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceridwen Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Added my AIM and Windows Live (that's what MSN turned into, I think) to my profile. You and anyone interested in playing with me can feel free to message me for more brainstorming. :p

Ceridwen
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm

I added you. My email is book_lover_2665@hotmail.com . so you should see an invitation there soon Smile
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down