FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Complaints Thread >:(

+44
Jag
Spectre
Blade Barrier
Knifey Keith
Chindi
Icipher
DracoMalfoy
cindrella
Lumeus
Moon's Jester
xraineyesx
Talas
Sunwolf007
Nihilisil
Guilty Carrion
Colonel Autumn
Bird of Hermes
Raspeyer
Sólrökr
Awesomeocalypse
Lord Revan
Dreamless Days
Charlie the Ghost
Sighlent
Axiom Awaits
The Ghost Writer
Ana Kingsley
Entity of Sin
Eternity
Tartra
Digital Muse
Gabe
Shadow Moonseye
Loki
wakeangel
Gadreille
Kalon Ordona II
Silvan Arrow
Fate Flyer
Lara
Skitzo-phrenick
Lyonesse
The Melancholy Spirit
Kathryn Lacey
48 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

The Complaints Thread >:( - Page 7 Empty Re: The Complaints Thread >:(

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 am

Even if I got the student discount for the buses ((once I actually start school)), it wouldn't matter because no buses run near enough to my house for it to matter.

That sucks, Silvone. =\

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:01 pm

I had a scare yesterday when my grandmother had to go to the emergency room. She's home now, though there is still no explanation for what happened yesterday. I definitely panicked a bit; the last time someone went to emergency they didn't come back.

Though I complain that this happened, I celebrate that she's still with us and hopefully will be for quite a few more years. I realized yesterday, I am definitely not ready to lose my grandparents.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Ryona, I'm sorry you had a scare like that, but I'm glad everything is going well. I know what you mean when you say you're not ready to lose your grandparents. I don't think I would cope very well if I lost my grandmother, and I was really depressed for a long time after I lost my grandfather.

I hope they can figure out what happened and prevent it from happening in the future.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Awesomeocalypse Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 pm

For a few years now, my wife's mother has been in and out of the hospital due to being diagnosed with cancer. Recently, she was told that the cancer was taken care of after undergoing every cancer treatment which means she was all but spoon fed radio active juices.

A few days ago, we found out that the cancer is back.

Aren't we living in the technological age where anything and everything is possible? Has modern medicine been put on a side-burner to touch screen phones and full fledged computers that we can fit into our pockets?
I would be more than willing to go back to gigantic brick cell phones of that meant no need to worry about diseases and illnesses anymore. It would destroy both my wife and myself if we lost her.

I just don't like where our nation's priorities are at.
Awesomeocalypse
Awesomeocalypse
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Awesome, that's really terrible to hear about your wife's mother. Something similar happened with my mom, but when the cancer came back, she didn't beat it a second time. I'm really sorry you both have to go through that.

I don't like that money is what drives the world. Curing cancer would be great emotionally, but finding cures for things doesn't make money the way that things that just "hold back" symptoms do. It's really terrible, but it's the way things are. I wish I knew how to change it.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Awesomeocalypse Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:31 pm

It's something she's been dealing for quite some time while I've only know her mom for a little over a year, but she is as much a mother to me as my own mother is. And it upsets me so much knowing that the prescription is just enough to subside the caner rather than curing it altogether just so they can keep making a profit.

But you're right...it's all about money and how much medicine companies can make. A rotten business, if you ask me.
Awesomeocalypse
Awesomeocalypse
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm

When I first started to find problems with Capitalism, a man wiser than myself told me that without Capitalism, many of the feats of western medicine would never have happened because competition creates ingenuity out of necessity. I didn't quite understand it then, so I stopped and thought about it.

Now I want to punch him in the neck, because it's that very same competition that stifles progress. Planned obsoletion and the exploitation of fruitful financial avenues over the moral compass... well I'll leave it at that.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 am

Capitalism isn't the problem; lack of morals is. Most any system can work if it's worked properly; the problem is corrupt people look for loopholes and ways to exploit others.

Buuuut what I actually wanted to share:
Maybe this could help with cancer. Smile
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Awesomeocalypse Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:58 am

Well that sure is an interesting article. The last little paragraph is what got my attention the most, how pharmaceutical companies, medical establishment, and the FDA are trying to keep Vitamin B17 away from the public. It just doesn't make any darn sense.

Either way, thanks for the article. I don't know if my mother-in-law has ever tried something like that, but I will definitely have to ask because taking a few pills definitely sounds a lot better than getting blasted by radiation. (Unless, of course, you get superpowers afterwards.)
Awesomeocalypse
Awesomeocalypse
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Raspeyer Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:24 am

I don't know that they are trying to prevent people from knowing, I think it has to do with putting a patent or licenser on something that is readily available. I.E. they can't get money out of it. Can't hurt to go and pick some apricots. They are a delicious and nutritious fruit.

I thought I'd share this interesting article. They are still looking it seems but I say if someone's going to find a cure it won't be the U.S.
Raspeyer
Raspeyer
Mist
Mist

Female

http://holly.clonestyle.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:02 pm

It's because if the public knows, they'll spend less money on the expensive treatments and more on the more affordable ones. I kind of hate apricots, though. I've tried several times to give them a chance, and it just never works. ._.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if whomever finds the cure isn't a part of the United States. I just hope there will be a way for the cure to make its way into this country.

Ugh... This reminds me... Misery ((the username of the FoG member who is my love)) informed me that he read an article about how they're trying to cure diseases or cancer ((can't remember which)) with a changed HIV strain. It seems to me like it's just I Am Legend waiting to happen.

I had a really terrible dream that my youngest brother died. It was completely messed up. I've lost enough of my family members in real life. I don't need to lose them in my dreams, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 pm

\

Last edited by Ysopet on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 am

Kathryn Lacey wrote:

I had a really terrible dream that my youngest brother died. It was completely messed up. I've lost enough of my family members in real life. I don't need to lose them in my dreams, too.

I know how that feels. I'm so sorry you have to go through that.

Silvone, I don't know. I know how you feel, but I always try to be respectful of others' beliefs, even though they are rarely (hint: never) respectful of me. The worst part is they have no idea they are being insulting.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 am

Ryona, I'm sorry you know how it feels. I don't think anyone should ever have to know how it feels. =\

Silvone, I think Ryona is right. Even if people often have a difficult time being respectful to those of differing believes, it's important to show that you can be respectful, to rise above their ignorance and show that you aren't that way. Everyone believes different things in different ways. Do you want to make yourself look just as ignorant as you feel those people are by showing them that they can't be tolerated, or do you want to be the better man? The choice is yours.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 am

I agree with Kathryn, Silvone. You should be the better person, in the end that will reward you. I tend to avoid all talks of religion, as most people do not like my views on them. Especially organized religion.

However, i feel that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. Thus, as long as they are respectful to mine, I will be respectful to theirs. If they are not respectful, I tend to just ignore them. It usually shows that they are ignorant.

That's my two cents.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:25 am

I'd like to complain about the fact that the word "Fat" is becoming so much more common for people to say. I mean, I understand that the word has been around for a very long time, but in my life, it has always been used as an insult to someone overweight. Now, being overweight I personally feel insulted by the use of the word when it's used in an attacking way, so, imagine the anger I felt upon watching a news report simply titled "Australia's Fat Youth".

Essentially, the report was on overweight children in Australian society, and the obese epidemic going on in the country and the like. Now, I understand the need for these reports, but the fact that they used the word "Fat" instead of the correct term of "Overweight" severely sadden and angers me. I mean, all through school I was called "Fat", and suddenly I am listening to two respectful people discussing "Fat People". The whole thing is just insulting, seriously.

Anyway, that's all I have to complain about.
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 am

Kathryn Lacey wrote:It's because if the public knows, they'll spend less money on the expensive treatments and more on the more affordable ones.
That's about it right there. Same reason they do more and more C-sections on pregnancies: money. Nod They don't let anything besides drugs and surgery be called a "cure" for anything, but do we really think we can poison ourselves into healthiness? Medications are big money; herbs are cheap. Guess which one they want to sell you?

I complain about corruption! Stupid love of money.
Same thing with organized religion. Blech. It's downright shameful.
Still, corrupt organizations for religion can't affect whether something exists or not.
For the curious:
Spoiler:

Oh, that's right, I have another complaint!
Couple days ago I put a lot of effort into a RL project but it didn't go through. Sad There's still a chance it could work out, but I hope my effort won't be wasted again. The lady in charge is awesome, but not as savvy as she ought to be for the program. I'm sure it'll work out somehow... just wish I could know how it'll end up beforehand. =P
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 am

It's not really about the facts, Kalon. It's about faith. Silvone and I have a different belief system, as well as millions of other people in the world. I could list books contrary to yours, but I won't. I'm not interested in changing your mind. I don't mind what faith you have.

However, others are constantly trying to convert us, get us to change our minds. Our beliefs are not respected. If we (silvone and I) freely talk about our beliefs, even if it is just to ourselves in a public place, or someone asks us about it, we are often met with hostility.

The other person might say something along the lines, "You are wrong, I am right, and you are going to Hell," and that person may never perceive that what they said is rude to us. THAT is what is so difficult. I don't go around telling people of a different religion that they are wrong about such and such. I know that my beliefs are just my own, and not concrete to the world. In fact, I don't talk about my beliefs at all, unless it is with like minded people or someone asks. Yet, I (and Silvone, and many others) am supposed to endure these attacks on my beliefs in silence, for anything else would be rude.

I suppose it is hard for someone coming from an organized religion to respect someone who isn't from one. It's like asking the owner of McDonalds to respect the small business owner. Yet, they are both business owners, no matter how much larger one is to the other.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:36 pm

\

Last edited by Ysopet on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Silvone, I understand very, very well what you are talking about. It doesn't always happen to me for my believes, but it does, and it is insulting. However, what happens more and is just as insulting (although I find it entirely humorous at the same time) is when people see my long hair or, at times, the kind of band shirts I wear and assume I'm some terrible person (devil worshiper, rapist, etc etc). Of course, the reason it amuses me is the looks on their faces when I am polite to people after they're giving me glares for the music they heard playing when I pulled up. Or when some clean-cut guy in a suit is a complete ass and slams a door in their face, followed immediate by me who open the door for them.

As for the faith issue, I agree with Silvone that no book can prove the existence of God. And, for that matter, if a book [i]could/i] prove with absolute conviction that God was real, if there was, in any way, full absolute proof, then there would never be faith and the preaching of Christians would be entirely moot.

Religion itself does not annoy me. I have a minor in religious studies, and I am quite fascinated by most religions. However, fanatic, idiotic people who lack common sense irritate me to no end. It is not the religion that frustrates me (well, not completely), it is the people (and no, not all people).

^ I agree completely.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Personally, I'm a Catholic. Not devout mind you but a Catholic nonetheless. I'm open to other religions and the like (For example, I believe in reincarnation and it's obvious that things evolve). But I still agree with Silvone, having someone try to force their opinion on you sucks. Like I mentioned on the last page, I had someone claiming to be an Atheist (I'm not saying Atheists are wrong, again, I believe people have the right to believe what they WANT.) berating me about the fact that I believe there might be a god, and he claimed being an Atheist gave him the RIGHT to berate me.

I also agree on the fact that no book can ever prove the existence of God. Hell, to me, The Bible itself could be just an amazing story. Sure, things may have happened SIMILAR to how it was written, but the fact that it's been re-written so many times means that there are so many opportunities to change the facts. Take Jonah for example. Disobeyed God, was swallowed by a whale, was given a second chance, obeyed God. When in all reality, his ship could have simply marooned itself on an island for a while, and when he returned to "civilization", he chose to do as someone (possibly a priest) told him God wanted him to do. Maybe he said he marooned because he disobeyed the lord's word or something?

Overall, while I AM a Catholic (And I while I prefer not to be insulted about my religious choices by random people, considering I wouldn't do the same to them.), in the end I honestly think that when I die, IF there DOES happen to be a God of some kind, here's hoping I backed the right horse, 'ey?
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Silvone Elestahr wrote:no book can prove the presence of God.
True, but from evidence it can build a strong foundation for faith. I'm not trying to debate, just present a resource to explore the conclusion Christianity draws from history.

I can't speak for other professing Christians, and personally, because of human error, I don't even think "organized" religion should exist, but for me, my choice of beliefs isn't based on what I like the most, or I'd have probably picked Shintoism. Laughing Rather, after seeing a lot of material both pro and con--and after seeing effects both faked and real--I've simply come to the conclusion that this faith holds the most truth across the board, from history to present life to morality to every unexplained mystery of the universe. It just fits. If that's the conclusion you came to in deciding your beliefs, then I say good for you! Truth is truth.

Religion itself does not annoy me. I have a minor in religious studies, and I am quite fascinated by most religions. However, fanatic, idiotic people who lack common sense irritate me to no end. It is not the religion that frustrates me (well, not completely), it is the people (and no, not all people).
I definitely understand where you're coming from on that point. I've had awful experiences myself from other Christians who do that to friends, family, or even me. But what exists exists regardless of human choices or interpretations. Some of the nicest people I've ever met have been atheist, agnostic, muslim, the whole spectrum. At the end of the day, though, it shouldn't be about what people believe. It should be about what is.

So the next time you get grief about your beliefs from a Christian, you can explain to them that that sort of behavior is condemned in the Bible. I can give you verses to share with them if they ask. ^_^
I don't know what to say about people assuming you're a Christian if you do kind things. Lots of people do kind things. Maybe they just assume it because Christians are supposed to. It's not really an option for them, if they believe what they read in the Bible and want to do what's right. But most everyone helps others in need. I'd say it's just a result of the organized religion image combined with the efforts of quality organizations like World Vision. *shrug* It's good that you stick to your guns and prove that Christians don't have a monopoly on morality.

In fact, some professing Christians use their faith as an excuse. More people making bad choices.

Hey, I know. If you have Christian friends who seem to live what they preach, you could see if they can talk to their fellow believers about what they're doing wrong. I could so write a whole essay on it for you to give them, all non-accusatory but gently pointing out the error. Very Happy They really should know better.

It's great that we can be free about sensitive subjects like this in places like FOG. cheers
I guess that's actually a celebration, though, so I complain that it isn't so in other places! xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 am

I complain that writing has been taking so long for me today! Sad

However!
See related celebration here.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:52 pm

I complain that I don't get my own theme song or henshin sequence. I have to hum and get dressed like the rest of humanity. That is all.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Moonseye Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Making decisions suck.

Also, apartment hunting sucks.

And the pettiest complaint of all: I really freakin miss Mel.
Shadow Moonseye
Shadow Moonseye
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Silvone Elestahr wrote:Here is what gets me: every time I do an act of kindness for a stranger, I get berated (intentionally or otherwise) on my beliefs. I am told either that I should be a Christian, or that I am one whether I believe it or not. Now, is that not insulting? My attitude determines what I believe rather than what I think I believe? That means, then, that my actions are not really my own. It means that my beliefs are not my own. That is, in effect, people trying to convert me to their religion by convincing me that I could not possibly already be anything else because I am just too damn nice to be an atheist (because, everyone knows, atheists are devil worshipers and terrorists and rapists and gamblers).

And Kalon, I am sorry but no book can prove the presence of God. I believe that many of the historical events surrounding Jesus, as well as the man himself, happened. But that does not prove anything definitive, not in terms of actual deities. Anything that attempts to is merely speculation.
"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."
— Thomas Jefferson

People like that are attempting to police your beliefs into a socially acceptable form. Their problem is that they lack cohesive evidence, so this is their only form of persuasion. More, you can not have faith and seek evidence, these things are didactically opposed. I personally have no qualms with setting people straight when their ignorance blinds them. I am respectful to a point – all men/women deserve respect in my opinion until proven otherwise, and when they demean me, the gloves come off.

I'm always up for a chat on religion, by the way.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:18 am

I complain that I'm entirely sick of all the setbacks with trying to get moved. Could go into details, but I don't really want to. Just feel the need to bitch vaguely. Little bit of angst, how lovely.

And I'm done.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 am

I'm sorry things aren't going smoothly for your move to be with Shadow. I wish I could help, but I don't know how I could. =\

I complain that it's just after 7am... The only setback of my job... But at least Google Maps updated the bus systems, so I can at least see routes even if the nearest bus is half an hour away by foot. =(

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:05 am

I'm sorry to hear about your moving difficulties, Mel. But at the very least, think about how much it will be worth it when you're finally done. Try and focus on that to help get you past the frustrations of setbacks.

Kathryn, I feel ya on the early mornings. My class is at 8 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and it messes with my sleep schedule really badly. Maybe the walk to the bus stop will be refreshing, though? I remember I enjoyed walking to class back in undergrad. It helped me wake up in the mornings, and I got in lots of quality time with my music. If you have a walkman or MP3 player, that might help make the walk less boring.

I complain that I've had insomnia problems on and off for the past two or three weeks. I'm trying to get my sleep schedule back on track, but my mind just refuses to shut up at nights due to school and work stress. Luckily I think I found a white noise app on my phone that helps, so I'm trying to get away from using medicine to go to sleep. Fingers crossed!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 am

half an hour by foot? Wow.
Early rising does suck...I stayed up til two in the morninga nd got up at 6:30. I'll be regretting this later...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next