FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Role-Playing Genre

+4
Blackrock
Kalon Ordona II
Lara
Fate Flyer
8 posters

Go down

What is your most favorite favorite role-playing genre?

Favorite Role-Playing Genre Votele1043%Favorite Role-Playing Genre Voteri10 43% 
[ 3 ]
Favorite Role-Playing Genre Votele1043%Favorite Role-Playing Genre Voteri10 43% 
[ 3 ]
Favorite Role-Playing Genre Votele100%Favorite Role-Playing Genre Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Favorite Role-Playing Genre Votele1014%Favorite Role-Playing Genre Voteri10 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Favorite Role-Playing Genre Empty Favorite Role-Playing Genre

Post by Fate Flyer Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 pm

The majority of us enjoy diversity in regards to the types of role-plays we do, but everyone has to have a favorite or at least one theme that they tend to lean the most toward. I realize there are an endless number of things that you could role-play, and it's sometimes hard distinguishing what they are in terms of genre, but everything can get a label of some sort (just look at how they classify books at libraries or book stores). So, if your favorite thing to role-play is hard to categorize, just try and imagine where it would fit best in.

So, the question then is what role-playing genre is your absolute favorite? Feel free to discuss what types of role-plays you enjoy doing most and why you chose what you did.

Mine would probably have to be science fiction, simply because I love technology and futuristic things as opposed to historical and outdated things. This isn't to say that I dislike medieval-style fantasy-type role-plays, but just that my preference lies at the other end of the spectrum. I love sci-fi both for the futuristic and supernatural aspects. I also am partial to animal role-plays (taking on the role of animal characters), because that's how I first got into RPing to begin with (Lion King, dinosaurs, wolves, dragons, etc.).
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Favorite Role-Playing Genre Empty Re: Favorite Role-Playing Genre

Post by Lara Wed May 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm not entirely sure what genre I like the most. I enjoy things that have magical elements to them, so Fantasy is definitely in there, but I also love working out awkward romances inside tight situations, so Romance and even Realistic are definitely in the top three.

I like the idea of roleplays that take place in the past, though I don't really get to play them that often. Medieval and Victorian could be fun to try out. I also really enjoyed what few posts I got to write for a witch-hunter storyline, so that time period could also be fun.

I guess overall my favorite thing to do with roleplays is to throw characters into situations they aren't used to or need to overcome. So time-traveling would probably be up there if that's actually a genre. =p
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm

I'd say pretty much exactly the same thing Fate did, only switching Fantasy and Sci-Fi. xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 am

Although I'm a HUGE fan of sci-fi books (fantasy up there as well, but I read sci-fi more often), I just seem to end up with only fatnasy RP's going on pretty much. The main reason for this is that I don't feel comfortable with writing science fiction, because I don't have a significant knowledge base. If you think about it, all the big names in the genre have got some sort of scientific background - biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, maths, that sort of stuff. It just creates a layer of believability which I find my layman's writings lack. I feel much better in the fantasy settings, because I have the general know-how of what's what and how one would approach telling such a tale. Not saying that I mind sci-fi RP's, they are just a bit harder to get into. Smile

So yeah, long story short - I prefer fantasy RP's myself.

Not really a fan of the other ones, although I enjoy reading genres like that.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tempest Thu May 19, 2011 7:37 am

My preference definitely falls within the realms of Science Fiction, though it is a close battle with Fantasy I must say.

While medieval settings are one of my most cherished, with chivalrous Knights and grand castles and the ever present threat of witchcraft and superstition, the vast potential for diversity within science fiction settings takes the cake for me. When you do the maths (admittedly I have not, as numbers are not one of my strong points Razz ) you'll find that with the absolutely staggering amount of galaxies, solar systems and planets that are out there, practically anything is possible, if not plausible, in science fiction.

It just gives me a much wider berth for the creative process.

Though, I will say this for Fantasy, is it a lot easier to write simply because it is easier to shape a world around your mind, than it is to shape your mind around the world.
Tempest
Tempest
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu May 19, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm stuck between Fantasy and Historical Fiction...Like Tempest said, Fantasy is easier to create within, which in the end makes it a lot of fun and not necessarily a lot of work...but I love to do research on a time period and try to write within it. Not only is it fun, but I tend to learn a great deal about the time period. I haven't voted because I just can't decide which I like better Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nation Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 am

Where's the Steampunk option? D: I guess that can sort of be grouped into Sci-Fi, so that's what I picked.
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 am

This is such a difficult question. I'd say Steam Punk or Diesel Punk first, Futuristic Noir (Blade Runner) second and finally, Modern Fantasy (so long as it's well done and realistic).
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down