FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes

+13
Hisoka
Bird of Hermes
Hank J Wimbleton
Fluff
Mezrin
Amras666
Hope
Kathryn Lacey
Scarlet_Rivers
Tempest
Aesalon
Xiantic
Fate Flyer
17 posters

Go down

What is your favorite genre to role-play?

Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele108%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 8% 
[ 3 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele100%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele100%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele103%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele1047%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 47% 
[ 17 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele106%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 6% 
[ 2 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele103%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 3% 
[ 1 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele106%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 6% 
[ 2 ]
Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Votele1027%Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Voteri10 27% 
[ 10 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 36

Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Empty Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes

Post by Fate Flyer Sat May 16, 2009 12:47 am

So what genres and themes do you enjoy role-playing most? In other words, what do you like to write about?

I mostly prefer sci-fi, though I really enjoy all kinds of role-plays, from animal to horror, to fantasy to modern, and dramas to mythological. I have varied tastes. Very Happy
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes Empty Re: Your Favorite Role-Playing Themes

Post by Xiantic Tue May 19, 2009 11:48 am

I was between two, but they generally go together with me. Action and fantasy (with a touch of romance). Good stuff.

But a question. Wouldn't King Kong be more science fiction than fantasy? One abnormality is an odd science burp more than fantasy, in my opinion.
Xiantic
Xiantic
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Tough for me too, as I am that 'Historical Fantasy' guy, I suppose now that I think about it I probably should have voted Fantasy, but the Historical looked so sad there without any votes...

-Aes
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tempest Thu May 21, 2009 8:03 pm

It has to be science fiction for me! I love the prospect of space travel, new worlds and species! It is so full of potential and that allures me the most!

Fantasy would come second though!
Tempest
Tempest
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlet_Rivers Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Romance is mine - of course! :] <3
Scarlet_Rivers
Scarlet_Rivers
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Dang I just noticed this thread. Hope its still okay to post here.

As I said in my intro to this board, I mostly like sci-fi. But to be more specific, things that involve military and space exploration (or technological developments - particularly in the WMD department) attract me the most.

I got my inspiration mostly through the big titles like Halo, Metroid, and Half Life. Many of you PC-loyalists may have never heard of Metroid, but its basically about a woman wearing a bio-mechanical suit who's a full-time bounty hunter. The technology of her suit allows her to adapt to all sorts of foreign technologies and weapons enchancements. This, along with the game "Star Wars: Republic Commando" gave me the inspiration of using adaptable weapons systems in my sci-fi roleplaying.

Classics like Star Trek and Star Wars broaden my scope on generic space exploration and travel. The "space jumping" (Battlestar Galactica series) versus Hyper Drive (Star Trek and Star Wars) also presented me several travel scenarios. Combine all that with Einstein's theory of relativity and worm holes, you get the classic string theory roleplay where alternate universes connect.

More on my WMD fascination; I've always admired the use of the long-ranged ballistics, but I've also recognized a few recent technologies coming from the gaming world, such as the predominant laser weaponry that Westwood Studios brings about in almost every one of their games. The Ion Cannon is the most recognized and famous of these laser weapons, appearing in each of the original Command and Conquer series, evolving into a greater and more powerful beam weapon in each game. Command and Conquer: Generals re-made the Ion Cannon into the U.S. Particle Cannon Uplink, where a network of mirrors reflected a ground-based beam of solar energy at its target.

Nod's (original C&C series) and the Soviet Union's (Red Alert series) nuclear missile also present a classic WMD that has been revamped time and again through several popular games, like the Fall Out chronicles (centering around the aftermath era of a nuclear holocaust).

Other sci-fi weaponry interests of mine center around bio-mechanical enhancements (referring back to Samus Aran from Nintendo's Metroid games), where suits were quite common with sci-fi superheroes. This was revamped in several Japanese animes; Appleseed being one of them (the ESWAT combat suits), and the age-old Gundam Wing seasons.

That's about it for my interest in science fiction. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:01 pm

I voted for fantasy because is the basis of my favorite types of role plays.

However, I'm pretty much in agreement with Xi about fantastical action with a -touch- of romance.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:51 am

I'm addicted to romance. XD

Although, I like a lot of the other ones as well. But, romance is the one for me. XD
Hope
Hope
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Amras666 Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:26 pm

Classic sci-fi and fantasy, here. By "classic", I of course mean "awesome". I take my inspiration from books or games (never movies, cause they suck). Speaker For the Dead, Dune, I Robot, Foundation, LOTR, Ivanhoe (more of a historical fantasy...kind of), Redwall, The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind and Oblivion), Mass Effect - these are some examples of where I get my ideas. My biggest source of inspiration though, is real-life history. I'm fascinated by ancient cultures, languages, societies, governments, religions, etc. I love applying themes and concepts from history to roleplays, since I believe that things happen in cycles and that telling a good story will always involve ancient themes.
Amras666
Amras666
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm all about the post-apocalyptic sci-fi RP's and stories. I loved apocalyptic ones before Fallout 3 was created, or even announced, and have always been a fan of creating and inventing things with awesome sciency explanations (even though I'm not the best with such matters). I love it so much, in fact, that I started creating a table-top game for it back in January.

My partner had a computer wipe. I want to advertise the game here a bit as I meet the community, maybe others will like it.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 pm

I love those types too, Mezrin! I like the thrill and the horror and the edge-of-your-seat suspense that comes with that genre. That, mixed with science fiction...you just can't go wrong.

That's really awesome, too, that you started making a table-top game as well. I'm sure there are others who would enjoy it.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Yeah. Me and my friend (whom is in California; darn me and my inability to go wherever I please!) have been developing it. It's copyrighted, publishers are being looked up, and my step-father is a professional website coder who's doing our site for free. Though, he said he'd do it months ago but hasn't done it.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Oh man, no kidding? That's beyond amazing! Congratulations. That's going to be a huge accomplishment. Hopefully, your step-father will get going with the website for it soon though.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Hopefully it will. At this rate, however, it might be abandoned. I plan on going behind my partners back right now, however, and creating the history and backstory.

Think I could make that a collaborative effort here on the forum, to create canon lore for Exitus Sator? It's a lot to cover, with two new faction/races coming in, and it being hundreds of years into the future, so it could be fun for all!
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:49 am

Well, that may not be a bad thing. In the end, your partner may end up grateful that you decided to put in some extra work on it.

Do you mean you would like to seek assistance from others here? This is something that actually you could create a thread for in the General section, as talk about role-plays or writing in general is welcome, along with games of this sort. Smile
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:16 am

Agenda--you just earned massive cool points for being inspired by Metroid. Hooooooeeee, that's awesome!

I am one of those annoying people with little preference. I don't like Romance as a type of roleplay because I'm an insensitive jerk (make me a sammich, woman!) but I don't mind it as an element in my roleplays. In fact, a lot of the time I find that it adds a really interesting twist. Now, what I really don't like is writing in pre-existing worlds. Anime annoys the fire out of me. Books aren't as bad, usually. Movies I usually won't do, although I'll make exceptions for anything if it's well-done. I'm also a twilight hater. Go me!

I admit, though, that I'll always have a special soft spot for those epic-scale fantasy world-crossing stories. Fireballs, sieges, dragons, demons, BFSs, climactic duels of fate on top of a tower or on the brink of a huge underground rift...that's where I started this whole deal, and I'm always gonna love it. You can call me cheesy, but...well, actually, you'd be right.
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Hank J Wimbleton Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 am

Very cliché, but I dig sci-fi. Then again, I'm also into crime & fantasy... I have a broad range of interests. Wink
Hank J Wimbleton
Hank J Wimbleton
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Romance when done right is my favorite by far, but it's never done right.
So I picked Action/Adventure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:47 pm

How does one pick just one?
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisoka Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:49 am

Historical all the way here. And I mean historical not a fantasy with historical elements. A soldier would not need some enchanted stone in order to fight and run in amour. Any half-trained idiot can move quite comfortably in even full plate amour. And I can say that from personal experience. Full plate amour does not weigh a ton, it isn't light but you can more then fight all day long in the stuff if your not some weak 10 year girl.

And two handed swords like a claymore do not weigh a 1000 pounds. Nor do battle axes or spears. And there is no one weapon type that was better then all the rest. All weapons are designed to fill different roles on the battlefield. A guy wielding a claymore would have quite a difficult time keeping up with some one using a Rapier for example. Claymores are designed for front line troops to smash through shields and heavily amoured opponents. Where as the Rapier was first developed to slid into the weak points in a suit of amour, then later became famous for the speed of movement and ease of use due to light weight and superior design.

I prefer true Historical for that reason. Of course only some one who has actually fought with and trained with historical weapons would be able to bring across these types of weakness and strengths in each weapon. And as a side note I don't think a Rp is Historical if a European 15th century Knight is using a Katana. During the 15th century as far as Europe was concerned Japan didn't even exist. And also a Rp isn't historical if that Early or Middle Dark Ages Knight is wearing full plate amour. Full plate amour wasn't developed till the dark ages was nearly over, hell it was practically the early Renaissance by the time full plate amour was developed and available. And even then only wealthy Knights could afford the stuff. Most Knights made due with chain mail intermixed with a few pieces of plate they could buy. Hell some knights even used leather and chain mail as being a Knight hardly paid well.

I like Historical themes but I been but in a few that could really be called truly Historical.
Hisoka
Hisoka
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 am

I like fantasy for the exact opposite of the reason stated above, by Hisoka. I like to have a little bit of freedom with my world. You can't really have that with anything based in a real world.

Take Sephiris: The Price of Peace, for example. It is Kalon Ordona's RP, and it is a completely unique world, and every participant is free to fill in the details of the world in any way they want so long as they fit in with what has previously been established. That is the way I like to role-play. I like the freedom. Freedom helps prevent writer's block, and keeps the posts flowing.

So, I guess I should specify and say that I like unique fantasy role-plays, and not role-play's based on pre-existing fantasy worlds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:36 pm

I meant to do fantasy, but I accidentally voted for sci-fi instead... Sad
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I also love writing about fantasy. I mostly like to read fantasy books when I'm reading just for fun, so when I get inspired to write stories, it's usually fantasy. I also love writing romance stories too (What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic...). My favorite stories to write are ones set in fantasy worlds/genres that involve romance.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by medusaspath Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 am

I'm gonna go with fantasy, mostly because it's just my thing by like...default. I'm a fantasy nerd. Sci-fi comes in a very close second though, sometimes even beating it depending on my mood. But who says fantasy and scifi can't join in together? Rapture. Razz

I could see myself enjoying any of the other rp types though...perhaps some more as a "subtheme". For instance, I love mafia movies. My favorite movie is Goodfellas. But I couldn't do a purely mafia rpg...I dunno why, maybe the day will come when I rescind that statement, but for now, I don't see it happening. But some other kind of rp with mafia elements? That would definitely be cool.

I'm open to all of these, especially historical. That piqued my interest, I hadn't thought of seeking out an RP that was historically based.
medusaspath
medusaspath
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.dissonantmotif.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IWroteASongForYou Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 am

Probably fantasy, but I'm into all kinds really.
IWroteASongForYou
IWroteASongForYou
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down