FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broken World [OoC]

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Broken World [OoC] Empty The Broken World [OoC]

Post by Koi in the River Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:02 pm

The Story of Pangaea

IC Thread

Long ago, in the countless years passed, the Earth was constructed in what is today known as Pangaea, the Unified Land. Every race coexisted on the same continent as companions in the same world, sharing the land evenly, whether it was in great Utopian cities or humble tribes. However, as centuries came and went, there was a great disruption in the land mass and cataclysmic disasters tore Pangaea into seven pieces of one whole, forever separating each race. Some believed the Gods of Nature intended for each ethnicity to be split from the others, and had grown angry that their worshipers had defiled their once holy land with foreigners and wanderers that took advantage of the terrain.

"And so it was that, in her suffering, the Mother Sea cast out her wrath and swallowed her youngest of the Earth Sons, which held a portion of the Lands of the Mortals. The Sons spewed molten blood from their wounds, and Daughter Sky wept with burning tears as Father Sun disappeared behind the smoldering clouds of ash and death for the duration of the warm season."

By the time the first disaster had ended, the Races had blamed each other for angering the deities of the natural forces, and many had begun planning attacks on their fellow continents. Tribes in the outer lying lands were divided by internal disturbances and many had simply found themselves lost among the new shape the broken Pangaea had taken. Before long, war erupted amongst the cities of the unbound world.

Guidelines and Rules

Now, to be specific, this is going to be a role play about the people involved in the conflict between the warring nations of the Broken World, whether they are warriors, soldiers, royalty, or even simply citizens caught in the stir of things. Now, I know Pangaea didn't split overnight. The idea is that it split due to some magical imbalance, though no one knows whose fault it was yet. This aspect of the role play is still somewhat under construction, so you don't really have to worry about that yet. Each character will have to embark on some sort of journey to find their way home or wherever it is they need to go along the duration of the role play, though I am planning for each one to be accompanied by at least another character. Feel free to play secondary characters if you wish.

Onto the rules. I'm hoping anyone who is reading this is mature enough to know the basic rules of nearly every role play on this site, though I feel I should still warn everyone that this is not a particularly light-hearted story. As a matter of fact, I'm planning on it being quite dark. But of course, a little humor here and there couldn't hurt. Please note: This role play is set to start just BEFORE Pangaea splits. And please, this is a fantasy/prehistoric role play, so keep the dialogue of characters fitting to the setting. And no, characters are not going to be neanderthals. Just normal people.

Character Sheet Should Include:

Name:
Weight:
Description:
Position: (In society)
Other: (Anything else?)

Last edited by Koi in the River on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Location : Atlanta, Georgia, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth

Back to top Go down

The Broken World [OoC] Empty Re: The Broken World [OoC]

Post by Battle Andrew! Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:51 pm

No magic? Low magic? High magic? Magic subsitute?

how about...

SCIENCE!

By SCIENCE i mean, idaknow, RockPunk?
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 am

Okay, at the risk of sounding dumb, I'm going to have to say... "Huh???"
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Battle Andrew! Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:26 am

RockPunk? I think I just named what kind of technology the Flintstones were using. LIke steampunk or cyberpunk, but with rocks.

And also, I'm just testing limits for what kind of character can participate.
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:04 am

Actually, the technology is pretty primitive. Like, kind of like ancient Egypt. Sure, they were pretty advanced for their time, but still primitive.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Over1375 Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:54 am

Now this is interesting...

I want to be apart of this. Just give me a little bit on my sign-up.
Game Over1375
Game Over1375
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks for the interest, both of you! I'll try to have a character up soon for a bit of a reference.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by osacredxo Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 am

Koi in the River wrote:Actually, the technology is pretty primitive. Like, kind of like ancient Egypt. Sure, they were pretty advanced for their time, but still primitive.

Meaning, it's just that and no magic? Most importantly, are our characters allowed to wield magical abilities of any sort? It states in the plot summary that an "unknown magical source" splits the land up. Was it just metaphorical, talking about a science that the people of the world didn't understand but we do?
osacredxo
osacredxo
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Actually, the magic involved in the story is going to be a very real factor. And yes, characters can have magical abilities - they can be shamans, oracles, and anything along those lines. Be creative.

And as a note to everyone, try not to worry too much about the "unknown magic" involved in the splitting of the nations. All will be explained along the progression of the story.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Just because I'm playing a royal character doesn't mean she's going to be the only one. Feel free to make up locations, cities, landmarks - basically whatever you need to build the world around your character.

Name: Esarai Emeka

Height: 5 Feet, 7 Inches

Weight: Approximately 140 Pounds

Description: Esarai, at first glance, could be seen as average in height for someone of her gender. This was typically accentuated by her ability to carry herself with a bit of poise and propriety with a rather elegant neckline and shoulder curvature, and long limbs that remained fitting to the rest of her body. Luckily, her build isn't particularly lank or gaunt, but well-balanced with proportionate muscle and fat to give her a healthy appearance. The woman's hair seems to have a hand in giving her more of a regal presentation, for the black-brown strands that are twisted into individual locks in a tribal style, reaching just past her shoulders, are peppered and entwined with ringlets and small jewels.

Esarai's face may have been one of particular distinction for most people, for the unmistakable orange face paint and such that comes with having a life of higher class than most in her nation is usually found in the form of five dots under each eye and two more above each eyebrow. The woman is graced with a slightly heart-shaped face that still maintains just a hint of rebellious adolescence, skin naturally the color of rich mahogany, and eyes a dark grayish-brown just below dark, slender brows. Her nose should seem average to most - nothing distinguishing besides the unmarred symmetrical curve the bridge made from her head to her nostrils. Lips, however, were on more of the plump side, almost always tightened into a straight, stoic line.

The woman is never seen dressed in anything other than the royal garb of her nation, which mostly includes a blood-red cotton dress that clings to her body by an intricate knitting of golden strings secured to her shoulders and neck, the garment reaching down to her knees in the front and making a long fray down to her ankles in the back. Esarai typically adorns herself in any jewelry that's gold or tropical in color, including the golden headdress she wears.

Position: Queen of the Kingdom of Gatura

Other: Esarai finds any people other than the Gatura to be inferior and barbaric.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Battle Andrew! Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Name: Tomos O'Garey
Age: Looks a weathered 37 at the beginning of the narrative
Height: 5' 11'
Weight: 174 lbs

Description: Short peppered hair, bushy eyebrows lining a prominent brow, dark eyes, lined face.

Position: (In society) Has wandered for who knows how long, abiding the laws of the lands in which he stays. Not unfamiliar to most societies he visits, especially in the north, but no ties, owns no land and has no family (that he claims).

Other: (Anything else?) Tomos is a traveling shaman and exorcist, having in one way or another bettered the lives of a number of people in ways they don't seem to understand. Better, at least, when he feels the problem is whithin his "jurisdiction", meaning things like corrosive vomit, speaking in tongues, or growing horns.
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by osacredxo Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Name: Banana Anosai
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 125 lbs.
Description: Bright red hair, almost always hidden under a thick lion's mane headdress. When headdress is not in use, hair is pulled up elegantly in the typical hairstyle doned by other female clerics. Dark green eyes, strong jaw, thick frame. Simple creme-white robe, with her own touch of random leather armour. Wields a spear primarily, with two large daggers and bow.
Position: (In society) Respected daughter of an oracle. Raised cleric, but self-taught fighter.
Other: (Anything else?) Though she was raised to be the prim and proper cleric, most encouraged to young girls by her society, she sought lessons in traditional fighting techniques and also in shamanism on the side, so she is proficient in both. She despises her fate, and inevitably her own father (the oracle,) because so much pressure is on her to be an example and to lead her people.
Though a serious personality, her rogueish attitude has never been truly outgrown from adolesance. It can either come across as playful or spiteful. Rash and brazen, she has little interest (or sympathy) for strangers, and she is overprotective of her people, the Epirotes, a barbarian race by opinion of outsiders. (I know that's an actual people, has nothing to do with them, just couldn't think of a name and liked that one... Neutral please don't associate anything.)

Name: Kierac
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Description: Shoulder-length blonde hair, sharp blue eyes. Slender, but muscular frame.
Position: (In society) Hunter, studying and practicing alongside Banana. Just your average citizen.
Other: (Anything else?) Though her friend, he possesses a hidden motive. He acknowledges her status and hopes to improve his own reputation with their people, which it has done to a certain degree. A fame and fortune oriented man.

Two characters are okay, eh?
osacredxo
osacredxo
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Congratulations, you are both accepted. And I completely understand about the whole having to come up with names for races thing. In case you didn't notice, Gatura is just an African name I discovered... Thought it fit pretty well.

Anywho, maybe one more person will sign up and I believe we can get this thing going. If that takes too long, I think we three can hold our own in an RP until more people take interest.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by osacredxo Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 pm

I'm glad it's okay to name my race like that...I figured it may be "obscure" enough to pass off without anybody thinking twice about it. Last thing I need is confusion.

Yeah, there WERE two other people that seemed to be interested in playing along, but they're nowhere to be found it seems. Mayhaps PMing those who were interested to see for sure? Or is that stalkery? Suspect C'mon, I'm eager to start, that's my excuse.
osacredxo
osacredxo
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Alright, I PMed those two people. Now all we have to do is play the waiting game. It's cool to see someone's eager to start. Smile
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Proherva is a large inland forest with mountains and rivers. It is home to the Prohervans, a band level society with some horticulture.

Name: Sahlvahandrah
Height: 5'10''; walks slightly bent
Weight: 115 lbs

Description: Because she is a forest dwelling person, she has a lighter skin tone, but their people had not always been in the forest, and hints of this can be seen in their coloring. She has a creamy olive skin tone that has been speckled with age spots, and dark hair streaked with white. While once tall and well endowed, in her old age she has become bent and thin, her clothes hanging loosely on her once larger frame. Her eyes were once black but are now faded and cloudy, giving a grey pupil-less appearance.

Position: (In society) A decrepit woman of unmatchable stature, she is the matriarchal leader of the Proherva: the forest people. They are built up of small bands that come together once a year for a communal feast, where she blesses the chiefs of each band. Her job, apart from the blessings, is to direct any warfare outside of their own bands, as well as solve major controversies within the bands. She is also in charge of ordering yearly caches of food for emergencies and drought. Most importantly, though, she is the sole Dreamer of the people: only through she do the gods speak.

Other: She has a son, who through status has become somewhat pampered. She denies him the position of chief, which is not given but earned.

Name: Takehnadon
Height: 5’3’’
Weight: 125 lbs

Description: She is somewhat darker skinned than the rest of her forest dwelling kin, with long black hair and black eyes.

Position: (In society) Takehnadon is one of the many Prohervan women whose duty is to harvesting the fields outside the forest which she has done now for 9 years. Because her duties take her outside the safety of the trees, she is a trained fighter and is excellent with a spear, including using an atlatl. She also can fight with a blade club, a curved wooden club with sharp stone inlay that somewhat resembles a machete. Most fighting she has experienced is outside food raiders and large animals. In a year her harvesting career will end, for it will be her duty to become a wife and mother and she will remain within the forest caring for others as well has gathering.

Other: Takehnadon has been having unusual dreams of late…could she be the next Dreamer?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Nice, Ryona. Though I didn't mean to seem like I was pressuring you into this. Feel free to take anything as slow as you can to keep your schedule as halcyon as possible. I'll try to have the IC thread up soon.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 pm

No pressure, my other RP's are slowing down (and one abruptly ended) so I think I'll be ok.

I would LOVE to see a map showing each of our lands in respect to one another! I wouldn't mind making one, but we'd have to decide the general layout of who goes where before I commit to it Very Happy
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Battle Andrew! Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:16 am

Looking forward to this, you guys. I haven't written in ages, and I'd like to try doing this thing which somebody I know loves so much. Sounds like a good story, too.

I'd like to see if I can avoid doing the mysterious lone wanderer with the character Tomos. I don't want to be too predictable, do I? It should be fun, he's fairly developed in other media (comics, I'm a comic freak). But it's also a drastically different setting. I actually hadn't planned on him being old enough to have lived this early.

Hey Ryona, I might just have to pay a visit to Proherva for the first time.
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Battle Andrew! Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:17 am

Ryona Noel wrote:
I would LOVE to see a map showing each of our lands in respect to one another! I wouldn't mind making one, but we'd have to decide the general layout of who goes where before I commit to it Very Happy

This sounds like a good idea. May I assist? I like making maps.
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:14 pm

Battle Andrew! wrote:
Ryona Noel wrote:

This sounds like a good idea. May I assist? I like making maps.

Of course! I'm really not that good, so you can feel free to take the reins of this project.
We need to compile a list of the areas and decide who goes where...Ultimate say of layout of the land should go to RP owner for it is her world Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Battle Andrew! Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:04 pm

And I'll make Tomos a cartogropher as well, and we can construct the map as we go, ya?
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Sounds like a wonderful idea!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Alright, nice to see everyone so active. Just so you know, I'm currently working on the first post for the IC thread, and I also have a map about 80% finished. (Waiting to add the next 20% until the RP gets started and everything starts getting fleshed out.) So, the IC should be up within the hour. Keep up the brilliance. Very Happy
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Good news! The IC is up. And, just to give everyone a heads-up, the splitting of the continents is probably going to begin after sunset on the morning I started Esarai on.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Battle Andrew! Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Question or two regarding narritive:

1. Would the next poster continue in the same scene, time frame, general area of the poster before? Meaning, do you just kind of take over where the last person left off, or do you do your own thing until the narratives meet somewhere?
Battle Andrew!
Battle Andrew!
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I guess you sort of do your own thing as long as it leads up to the point where the lands start to separate when I start on that. You can even start a week or whatever beforehand as long as you can catch it up to that one point when it comes up. Simply, you can do whatever you want as long as everyone's on the same track again during the whole magic-y thing.

Meaning, do you just kind of take over where the last person left off, or do you do your own thing until the narratives meet somewhere?

Either way works fine until the characters meet.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:53 pm

I just saw the Pangaea map, and I imagine Proherva being eastern N. America, possibly the lands between N. America and Eurasia which would made for some interesting conflict, considering that part falls to bits and pieces.

Also, should we consider renaming this massive continent? Because if we are being realistic with Earth's history...then people didn't exist at this time confused

Or is this just considered an alternate Earth?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koi in the River Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Well, this is sort of an alternate history thing. Like in the story The Chronicles of Narnia, of course people didn't exactly KNOW about magical worlds in their closets, but they were somehow still there. Consider it rewriting history.
Koi in the River
Koi in the River
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Okay, sounds good Smile

Hope my post wasn't based on too much assumption. I figured she didn't have to be seeing the literal splitting...it was more like a symbol.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next