FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ZDay Contingency Plan

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ZDay Contingency Plan Empty ZDay Contingency Plan

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:19 pm

It is only a matter of time until a virus evolves to the point where it is comparable to Solanum, and it is important to be prepared. That’s right, the ever present possibility that zombie will one day walk the earth needs to be properly addressed and anticipated. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that any government has devised a plan for such a day, which leaves survival in our own hands. This thread is a good starting point for those who have not planned ahead to make their own strategy. I hope that when that day comes, this thread will be dusted off and utilized as a tool to help ensure the survival of any who are clueless about surviving on ZDay.

I feel that is better to be safe than sorry about these things, even if several people scoff at the absurdity (I’ll be the one scoffing whenever raptors walk right into their homes because they opted to use lever handles on their doors instead of classic round knobs. Muhaha ) As such, I already have my plan sorted in my mind; it’s just a matter of gathering a few specific details before I am able to complete it. Since I’ve been meaning to make both physical and digital copies of this plan, I figured creating a thread would be good incentive to get the ball rolling. At the same time, this will help me and everybody else who is keeping up with this thread to develop and fine-tune their own plans.

I will be posting my own strategy once I get home this evening and find out those details. Until then, I am interested in seen what other people have planned and what type of input can be provided to increase the chances of survival.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

ZDay Contingency Plan Empty Re: ZDay Contingency Plan

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:34 pm

According to the special Nintendo Power (wait, WAS it Nintendo Power? Or was it some other magazine?) edition on zombies, wearing helmets and leather is a good idea. It's also very intelligent of women to wear colorful, sexy, revealing red dresses, as male zombies become too shy to approach and female zombies become self-conscious.

Despite the popularity of chainsaws, this is actually a bad idea. Katanas and other swords would work better. Axes can get stuck. Guns are useful but ammo can be a bothersome thing to find.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:42 pm

I agree with your thoughts on chainsaws, but not so much your views on axes and swords. As popular the novelty of swords may be, keep in mind you need to decapitate or otherwise damage the brain in order to neutralize a zombie. Most swords are designed to inflict deep lacerations on the body to cause the target to bleed out, which isn't an option for zombies. Axes have a much better capability at cleaving through bone (i.e. the skull) than their medieval counterparts. Although it would be a lot more risky, hatchets would probably be better than the full-length variety to increase accuracy and chance to kill while also serving as an invaluable tool.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:49 pm

A hammer could probably induce enough brain trauma to kill a zombie.

Oh, let's not forget fire. It's a double-edged sword, though, because while it completely burns the zombie until it's unable to move/turns to ash, it also makes the zombie a walking furnace. It's best as a way of disposing corpses.

The ideal bunker is a strong, well-guarded building with barred windows. Malls are the most popular, but malls are flawed in that most are actually easy to enter via the parking lot or just the front door (lousy mall security) and can take some time and quite a bit of firepower to clear out. Also, food and water are a priority. Since the water treatment facilities are likely to be shut down, tap water is unsafe. Bottled water is the best way or finding some freshwater source would work, too, such as a river.

An uninhabited island would also do the trick, especially if you have a boat and can fish.

The biggest thing to consider, though, is whom it can affect. Can if affect animals, too? That would be a very unfortunate ability. Is it airborne? Can it infect the dead who weren't bitten?
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Duh, I'd fly away on my helicopter. That's my answer to everything.

I'd fly off to Alaska or Antarctica. If its some sort of virus it'll probably die out in the cold and be unable to spread. So, I'd just hole myself off in some military base. Unless that's where it started. . . . But I haz helikopterz nd teh bad grammarz so it doooes not count!!!1!!eleven!!

Or, I'd follow my Dad's plan which is to go across the river to New York City. Once there find a building and make changes I Am Legend Style, but live on the top floor and just pick zombies off as they pool around the outer perimeters. If they reach the top floor. . . Well, I'll fly off on my helicopter.

As you can see most of my plans involve helicopters.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:00 pm

O_o Do you even know how to fly a helicopter? And I don't know about you, but I will be staying far away from large cities or public spaces as much as possible. Assuming that the virus only effects humans that are bitten, the population of infected in those areas will spread like wildfire.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

As you can see most of my plans involve helicopters.

Hence a big budget.

And special training.

Hence, only a guide that would work for a scant few people. Think up a guide that'll work for many!

There's one option people haven't thought of too much and that's the rural areas. Because rural areas have such low concentration of human life, it would mean few would get infected and they'd be heavily scattered. If word can spread quickly enough and the surviving farmers/villagers can defend themselves, they'll not have too much trouble. They can farm their crops with a combine and tractors are very good methods for traveling safely in a zombie apocalypse.

Also, a prison would also work. Once cleaned up, the prison will have plenty of ammunition and weaponry. Not only that, but there should be much stocked up on food, too.

EDIT: G-dammit, Loki, I'd written this whole damn thing and you stole it in one fell swoop...

Last edited by Adrius Frostglare on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Shh! In my world I do.

That's what I've told my Father. But, apparently the government is going to come and save us. I'd much rather wait it out in some large open field with nothing but a tent and a shit load of ammo to protect me. Oh, and a dog. They bark, which would be like a natural alarm.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Inerio wrote:the government is going to come and save us

Inerio wrote:the government

Inerio wrote:save us

Am I the only one who finds this HILARIOUS? Laughing lol!
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Oh, I do too. It'd be like hurricane Katrina 2.0
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Agreed with Senior Frost.

Inerio wrote:Shh! In my world I do.

That's what I've told my Father. But, apparently the government is going to come and save us. I'd much rather wait it out in some large open field with nothing but a tent and a shit load of ammo to protect me. Oh, and a dog. They bark, which would be like a natural alarm.

How would you get all of that stuff? Ammo doesn't appear out of mid-air. Plus, you've gotta sleep sometime. Even with a dog barking, if a large mob of zombies keep coming for you, it is only a matter of time until Murphy's law kicks in.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Well, we'd drive around and get it. Between my friend's gun happy dad who's collection is most likely illegal and my family's guns(because when you grow up with a family of criminals, you learn where they stash the "fun stuff") we'd probably have a damn good amount. Not to mention my uncle runs a hunting store which would sell things for rifles. Granted, they aren't my gun of choice.

How would we drive around and get it? Simple, the furthest important person lives less than a mile away. We're close nit. My second plan that doesn't involve big green fields in my uncles boat. Granted, I don't plan on staying on a boat my whole life. We'd have to land eventually.

Last edited by Inerio on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:13 pm

At BEST the government would set a rally point in different places and then ask that you get there. However, even then, it is a struggle of your own free will. If they send out patrols, they're zombie chow simply by the sheer numbers.

What is more, what if it's a pandemic? There would be nowhere to escape to. Like you said, maybe the frozen continents, but providing food for millions, hell, even THOUSANDS of survivors on marine life alone? Not a chance. Small tribes, maybe, but not large nations.

It's not so much "they wont" as it is "they can't"... and yet, at the same time, "they won't" is a very real possibility, too, even more than "they can't". They'll go where there are the most people, where the more... important reside first. They'll sacrifice a small few for the greater many.

And then, there's the off chance of the completely monstrous government that quarantines entire zones to be left off to die while they get fat off their reserved and military barricades. Pray to God there's none during the apocalypse.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:17 pm

@ Inerio: O_O Impressive.

I still recommend getting as far away from New York City as possible. It'd be hard keeping up with even a fraction of the 8+ million people within its city limits. Not to mention having to worry about food rations that must be able to sustain you for years possibly.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Yeah... um... hell, Ine, share the gun luv with us sometime, will ya?
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Once this thing gets going, there is little doubt in my mind that damn near every country on the face of the earth will fall into complete anarchy. To assume that even the military would be immune to being swept away from the chaos is a tall order; they are human too after all. Perhaps not every person within the armed forces will break away and fend for themselves, but there is bound to be a decent percentage.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm a bit lucky in the weapon department, yeah. Though, I probably wouldn't be able to fire a gun correctly on recoil alone. And yes, I'd want to get away from NYC too.

Is anybody else ready to admit they'd be morally corrupt during the invasion? I don't think I'd be above killing or stealing to get what I need either. Lets say that some crazy dude is running some food supermarket that hasn't been raided and won't let you in? I know it's morally wrong but if some douche won't let me stop in to stock up then I'd probably be tempted to blast the lock, shoot off his head, and take his goods. It isn't as if he can't just join the group I'd be traveling with.

More importantly, what if the government is behind the releasing the virus as a means of decreasing the population?
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 pm

More importantly, what if the government is behind the releasing the virus as a means of decreasing the population?

EXACTLY!

Ah, morality... of course one would have to learn to be a lot thicker skinned to survive. As for killing... no, I don't think I would kill, even in desperation. Even in the worst scenarios, I am not the judge who decides who deserves to live and who deserves to die.

I'll probably die, but I'll die a good man. I believe it better to die with a clean mind than to live with bloodied hands.

If it came to self defense, though... I don't know. That has always been a difficult question for me. Probably, I'd knock the guy/girl out, try to put him or her in a safe spot with a gun, take what I came for, and leave.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm going to do my best to avoid people in general, they will all be nuckin' futz by that time, at least that is what I am assuming. If the situation is dire, then I could see myself killing a person if it will help ensure my survival and those I am with.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:39 pm

If you're with more than one person... you could tell one person to restrain you while another kills the guy. Then you SHOULD be upholding your moral self and still survive.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Seeing as man started out as feces flinging barbarians I don't think it would matter to me. People die, its going to happen eventually. Besides, if I'm in a situation where I have to kill someone you can bet the person is probably going to be incompetent enough to get munched on by zombies which would be worse than dieing of a gunshot to the head. Survival will always come before morality for me.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Nah, there is no room for weakness in a world like that, even if it means getting your hands dirty. Allowing somebody who is severely within your defenses could jeopardize everything you have worked so hard to maintain. That is not to say I won't be willing to take in those that could help, even if it is just an extra set or hands and eyes; it's just that things always seems to hit the fan when just one person in the group loses it and the entire party suffers greatly because of it.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:50 pm

I'd just like to say. M1A1 Carbine, picture for those who don't know what gun I'm talking about.Would be my gun of choice for zombies, semi auto means you don't spray and pray. Well least you have a better chance of not doing it. The ammo is cheap and plentiful the gun is celebrated for it's durability being used by the military all the way up to the Vietnam war. Fairly easy to maintain and parts surprisingly are easy to come by. And most of all the thing is deadly accurate.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Daddy Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:12 pm

You guys say whatever you want about survival now, when the time comes none of you will be able to pull the trigger on another human being.
Thunder Daddy
Thunder Daddy
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:14 pm

Or, worse, we'll be all too willing to do so.

"You see, madness is like gravity: all it takes is one small push!" - Joker

It can swing either way.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Well, considering I'm already mentally not all there(why yes, I'm an actual crazy) I think I'd probably just get worse during an invasion. I'm good under pressure but that really only works to my advantage.

What country do you think would be the safest though? In the event that you found a way to get from one country or continent to the other where would you go?
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:20 pm

Meh it's a monster in the corpse of a human. I justify it like that. Rational thought, very good, and very dangerous. But seriously I'll take the shot if I'm threatened.

As for countries....I don't know maybe Canada. The cold can be an ally for sure and there's so much wilderness to disappear in.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I'd try northern Europe, maybe Russia. The far south, such as the tip of South America, would also likely work. Avoid India, China, and other densely populated countries. The Mediterranean islands might be good choices, too.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Thunder Daddy wrote:You guys say whatever you want about survival now, when the time comes none of you will be able to pull the trigger on another human being.

Perhaps you are right, but then again you never know when the world is as fucked up as it is likely to be during the apocalypse. It won't be such a stretch after you kill a few zombies also; after all, the only difference between living and zombie is an infection. So that statement holds water in current society, but whenever that feeling of security comes shattering down around you, I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch for people to revert more towards their primal instincts.

I think country is a little too broad of a option (with a few exceptions.) I think terrain is a little better suited for that question. Personally, I am headed for wilderness with rough and steep topography that still has soil that is capable to farm on.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Peruvian mountains it is, then!
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next