FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER*

+10
Deadman - D17
Kalon Ordona II
Kathryn Lacey
Lara
Gadreille
Adrius Frostglare
Igraine
Tempest
Reffy
Fate Flyer
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER* - Page 3 Empty Re: FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER*

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Ah, I see what you're saying, Ehoron. The way I did it this time was to just ask our staff who wanted to be a judge, and we were going to allow as many judges as there were people wanting to judge, but it was just Tempest that volunteered this time. So, basically, I was originally thinking of just asking out staff each time who was interested in judging.

I could make a hidden forum for judges, but they'd have to have their own usergroup, meaning I'd have to make a new group that would override your member group (and therefore, you could not earn more ghost ranks or achieve the Caligoan rank), so I don't think that would work. I wish there was a way to make a hidden forum for people of my selection instead, but sadly I can't do that/it's not possible.

I'll talk all this over with Tony (onenitedrive) too some more when I get the chance.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER* - Page 3 Empty Re: FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER*

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Well, I was thinking that maybe you could just override the user group of the judges for when the judging is to take place, then give back the regular ghosties when the judging is over. =3

Of course, it could just be too much work, in which case PM's would be best.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Why not just create a forum with a password? I mean, one could argue that someone might give out the password and compromise the security of the forum, but that would not only show how untrustworthy said person is (in the event it's discovered), but if they were going to do something like that, they'd just have likely leaked information even if you didn't use this method. Regardless, it's still reliant on the Honor System, and having a passworded forum for the judging discussion means not having to change anything else. If a judge quits, or if you want to use different judges for each contest (or simply rotate them), you can change the password to the forum each time. Relatively uncomplicated solution.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Yeah, that would make sense, Kathryn.

Well, that's something that I also wish we could do here, but having forums protected with a password isn't an option they have with Forumotion.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Seriously? O.o

That's lame.

Well then, I have no more ideas. [Coughs and shuffles back into his dark little corner.]
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I know... Disgust I wanted to do that before with something, and when I couldn't find out how, I went to the Help forum (for Forumotion), and people had been requesting the ability to make forums protected by a password, but the moderators just kept telling them to make a new usergroup and a forum that only that usergroup could see. They fail to care though that maybe you don't want users to be in a usergroup.

Anyway! My aim for the announcement for the winner of this contest is on or before Friday September 11th. That should be enough time, I would think. However, onenitedrive has expressed that he most likely won't be able to contribute as much as he had hoped originally. He just is too busy and is doing finals now for school, so it's just bad timing.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 am

/dies from the suspense ... I saw all these replies and got excited lol

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:46 am

Why not just make separate users?
Kalon the Judge! xD
Judge Who Is Fate!
Judge Kathryn!
Judgy Reffy!
Tempest Judge!

and so on and so forth.
That way you can make a Caligoan-like place, and people don't have to worry about losing their user-y-post-getting-y-ness.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:39 am

When is this going to be judged? :bounce: Hyper

prod, prod
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:13 am

It's not September 11th yet Kalon. You need to wait patiently, like I am. No prodding allowed until 12:01 AM September 12th!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:50 am

Oh, right. I totally forgot about that.

:: is really sorry ::

*dies of anticipation*
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:59 am

12:01? That's 59 seconds of wasted time... It becomes September 11th at 12:00:01, technically!
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:03 am

Then is that not also a waste of 99 1/100ths of a second? Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:38 am

Well, I was merely allowing for the time it would take a human to react to the change of time, as well as for the post to be submitted and the page updated. I'm certain the right internet connection paired with a person of above-average cognitive reflexes could shave a couple milliseconds off the time. [Coughs and looks away awkwardly, hoping Kalon buys into his explanation.]
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 am

Ahh, but in THEORY, yes? Twisted Evil

12:00:00:00:001

Super computer! Macro! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:25 am

Laughing

Tempest and I are currently discussing things, and we've certainly narrowed it down, though I might say that this really is not easy! (Well, obviously, as it is taking so long to decide.) Sorry, again, that this is taking so long.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:55 am

All right, well today is September 11th, the day that I said we'd likely decide on a winner. I've been waiting to hear back from Tempest though for a few days... So, I still am not sure on his opinions, and I would like to decide on a winner with him, but if I must, I'll decide on one on my own based on the two we narrowed it down to. So, I'll give it until later in the day before announcing anything...

Thanks, guys. I'm so sorry this has taken this long. This is completely against my inner "earlier is better than late" personality. It has been a month, exactly, since I finished reading all your entries too.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:39 am

Fuck Sake FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER* - Page 3 Suicide

You're killing me fate! Lol Above
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER* - Page 3 Empty CONTEST WINNER!!!

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Well, I waited around for Tempest, but unfortunately, he hasn't been available, so I thought I'd have to just decide for myself, but thank goodness I didn't! Onenitedrive was kind enough to lend his time tonight to reading over all your entries, and he had some great views and points that he made about things that I had over looked or not noticed. He provided some excellent feedback to me and really even ended up changing my mind about a couple of stories. Together, we've come to a decision about the winner.

Tempest, onenitedrive, and I all have had some varying views on all your entries, so clearly you've all done a marvelous job, and it's perfectly clear that you guys put forth a lot of effort, and we'd just like to take this time to congratulate you all on a job well done! These written works are the type of stories to be kept over the years to be looked back on.

Now, without any further ado, it is time to announce our winner!

She was the first person to submit a story, one about a seemingly ordinary archeological dig that had a very unexpected plot twist. Her character development from the very beginning was excellent, and the story was intriguing and well-written. She had an amazing climax and an ultimate cliffhanger at the end. Yes, that's right:

Ryona Noel -- Congratulations!!! You are FOG's first contest winner!

For your prize, you've earned the right to display this badge in your signature (if you so choose):
FOG's 1st Writing Contest - A Treasure Found *WINNER* - Page 3 WritingContestTreasure3

Code:
[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n152/Syren_Song_Fate/FOG/WritingContestTreasure3.png[/img]

You also get a drawing done by me of anything that you like! So, you are welcome to PM me with your request! Very Happy

Well done, everyone, and we look forward to reading more of your work in the future!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm very glad that I put aside homework tonight to read through all the entries. They are all excellent stories and I hope to read more from each of you in future contests here.

Congratulations to Ryona Noel! Clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Congratulations, Ryona! I loved reading your story!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:23 am

affraid Oh my goodness!!! I can't believe it!

(I wish you could all see me right now...I'm all giddy and jumping up and down and stuff...)

I almost never win contests, so this really is a rare feeling. I'm so happy to have been a part of this! After reading everyone's entries, I thought for sure this wasn't going to happen. They were all so very good!

Thanks you guys Smile I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed writing it!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:28 am

Hey congrats! I'll be sure to reiterate this great news in the FOG FM Session.... which may be coming out tomorrow around 6 pm CST..... >.>

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:04 am

cheers CONGRATULATIONS, RYONA! That is WONDERFUL and *does happy dance for you!* Roses
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:40 am

Congratulations! And thank you, dear judges, for saving me from weeks of torment! Bow 2

No, you deserved it, Ryona Noel. It was a great story!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:03 am

Awesome win, Ryona! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:56 am

Congrats, Ryona ^_^ Let's here it for the winner of FOG's first contest winner and then raise our glasses to hopes and prospects of more to come! HUZZAH!

Ummm...a little too much? Ok...I'll tone it down.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:35 am

Very big congratulations, Ryona!! Very Happy I'm so happy for you! ^_^ I'm glad that you've at last won something too!

This was easily the hardest contest I've ever had to help judge in my life, and I'm just overjoyed that we have the great writers that we do here! cheers

*raises her glass with Gunneh*
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Gunneh2113 wrote:Congrats, Ryona ^_^ Let's here it for the winner of FOG's first contest winner and then raise our glasses to hopes and prospects of more to come! HUZZAH!

Ummm...a little too much? Ok...I'll tone it down.

HUZZAH! Smile

Thanks everybody. The more I think of it...I don't believe I've won anything before o.O
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Well, time to fix that!

Fate, it is time to implement a -NEW- contest! To the staff forums!
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next