FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone else have this problem?

+2
Blackrock
fragilefigure
6 posters

Go down

Does anyone else have this problem? Empty Does anyone else have this problem?

Post by fragilefigure Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 am

Okay, so, I recently made my reappearance into the swirling mists under a new username, but I'm having trouble finding RP partners this time around. It's slightly depressing.

You know what the problem is? This site is too awesome. Everyone is having so much fun that they are too busy to RP with me.

Do you understand my pain? DX
fragilefigure
fragilefigure
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else have this problem? Empty Re: Does anyone else have this problem?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 pm

I think a majority of people have this problem to begin with. I know that I did. And I do know that one of the best solutions is to just establish a name for yourself. No one is going to join your role-plays if they don't know how you write, or if they don't like your ideas. So what you need to do is join someone else's role-plays for a while, establish a name for yourself, and get a feel for what the other members here on FOG like. No one joined any of my role-plays until they had an idea of who I was and how I write.

Another option is to hop into the IRC and openly discuss some ideas, see if you can get any interest there. If no one there is interested, chances are an actual interest check won't grab too many hits.

I know it sucks pumping out ideas and not grabbing any interest, but that is just how it works. Give it some time, and join some role-plays for a while.

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else have this problem? Empty Re: Does anyone else have this problem?

Post by Blackrock Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah, it can definitely be hard to find people willing to RP with you, until you make a name for yourself. I for one, always make sure I know *exactly* who I'm going to write with. If that means checking one or two of the person's RP's so be it. Better we're clear from the get go, than to have differences later on.

When I first joined FOG, I was in a similar position. I was simply overwhelmed by the amount of roleplaying going on in the site. The various genres, people, types (advanced, casual) and so forth. Luckily, I was redirected here by a person I knew, so I naturally looked at the RP they were in. To boot, the GM of said RP was kind enough to mention it in my introduction thread, so I gave it a go right away. To make a good first impression, I made a longer character sheet than I usually go for, so that I could show the participants my writing style and what to expect from me.

From there, I just spread out to a few other roleplays I deemed fitting. Most of them were newly started, so it was easy to fit in with.

I know it's not much in the way of advice, but there you have it.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fragilefigure Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:27 pm

I agree with both of you. But it seems that you are both more inclined to do RP's with a group of members, while I am almost exclusively a one on one type a' girl.

So 'jumping in' is a little more difficult.

I'm debating going out of my comfort zone, though. Razz
fragilefigure
fragilefigure
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:59 am

I am slightly in the same boat, but only because I disappeared for a while and have significantly less free time.

Maybe the problem is that everyone has trouble finding people they work well with in the first place. Another possible problem: FOG is such a small, tightly-knit community that most of us are already joined up in RPs that take up our time.

But yes, we all understand your pain. We've all been there, haha.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:12 am

I don't know if you're interested in doing it this way, but I what I do is put up my first post and see if anyone's interested. They'll have all the facts laid out: what I'm offering, what I can write, how I write, my characters, the scene and the mood I can build... If no one's interested, I'll whine in the interest check for a while, but ultimately I find showing what I can do to be better than just saying 'I have this idea...' That way, no one's walking into a good idea and then backing away from the bad post - which is what scares me the most about taking on cold interest checks (not on FOG, but on other RP sites in the past).

Last edited by Tartra on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:31 pm

I'd never even done a One-on-One RP before I joined FOG, so instead of reiterating everyone else's advice, I'll just mention that going out of your comfort zone is awesome. ^^ Expand your horizons. You're definitely missing out if you stay away from it; group RPs are great. ^^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:28 am

Agreed, Kalon. Also, that's a wonderful idea. I never thought about doing that, Tartra.

I also find that group RPs are much harder to initiate than one on ones are to begin. Also, I think that since FOG is so small that it takes longer to get an RP up and running with a group.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:44 pm

That's a great idea Tantra. It establishes from the get go, just who you are and your style. For me, in an interest check to see that would certainly encourage me to read on and perhaps join.

Like everyone before me, I had trouble breaking tn as well, but, having been lured here by another member helped immensely because I basically stalked their RPs for a bit to get to know people.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:57 am

Razz Hasn't failed me yet!
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:00 am

I think I'm going to start employing that method. It seems like it will work so much more efficiently for me.

And Digi, I, too, was lured here by another member (and you can all see how much I obviously fell in love with the place), and before I joined into the roleplaying aspect, I built up some community ties, which I think is really important in such a small community like FOG. You can always ask for someone's second opinion or if they'd be interested or if they can help you do this or that.

I think it also helps to have the details worked out before you begin the roleplay, such as the setting, the general plot idea, etc, and to put those upfront as well, so potential players know exactly what kind of story you are looking to put forward.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:58 pm

I would suggest leaving your comfort zone entirely. I was on this site with a different moniker (for which I forgot both the password and email account), as well as a few others like it and was respected for ability. Demonstrate yours in a few big posts and it will be easy to join threads. The further you venture out of your comfort zone, the more skills you will develop as a writer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down