FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corrupt Winter

3 posters

Go down

Corrupt Winter Empty Corrupt Winter

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Humans had always thought that we knew all about what was below our feet. Scientists told us of how the core was made up of molten lava. How the core was our central heating station next to the sun. We couldn’t have known how wrong we were.

In fact, the Earth’s core was not made up of molten lava, but of ice, snow, and temperatures around 100 below. Buried deep within the confines of the core lay an ancient and primitive race, the Nydod.

The Nydod could only thrive in extremely cold temperatures. Back during the first Ice Age, they rose from the core and hunted our ancestors, just as they hunted animals. Very few of the primitive Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals survived this onslaught. Only in the darkest days did a few make a startling discovery. The only thing the Nydod feared. Fire.

With this weapon at their disposal, the last remaining early humans survived the attack of the Nydod. The insect-like creatures were at first curious about the nature of fire, just as humans were. But when they discovered what it could do, they began to stop attacking. Soon, they were driven back to their home in the center of the Earth.

Now, we are completely ignorant of the threat beneath our feet. We go about our normal everyday lives during the year 2032.

Global warming was becoming even more of a problem than it was. Greenland was now more than three quarters melted, Antarctica not fairing much better, and the sea began to creep up on the coast, soon flooding into rivers and valleys. People were forced to abandon their homes if they were within a mile of the ocean.

Scientists around the globe were doing all the could to battle against the heat, but it was a losing battle. Finally, someone found what they needed to reverse the effects mankind had on the planet. The chemical was released into the air at the start of the year.

Three weeks into the treatment the world was showing good signs. Greenland and Antarctica seemed to be rebuilding themselves, slowly but surely. The shorelines were starting to recede, and people took notice. Beach houses were already being talked about again. Nobody had expected things to happen this well or this quickly. It was a time of rejoice.

That time didn’t last for very long. Five months had passed since the agent had first been released to combat global warming. In that time, things had happened dramatically. The temperature had reached normal levels again with Greenland and Antarctica almost completely back to what they once were, and had never stopped dropping from there. They slowly receded, hitting sub-zero and still dropping. The agent was bringing on the next Ice age.

Mankind was soon aware of its own predator. For so long we thought we were at the top of the food chain. But once again, we were wrong. The Nydod were rising again.

The world leaders acted quickly, mustering everything they had to defend against this newfound threat. For a while, it seemed that there was not much to worry about. Of course, the Nydod were deadly. They rose from the core in large amounts, seeming an endless wave. Still, we held our ground, not giving them any. It seemed we would win this war.

That was until the second wave came along. This one was much bigger than the last, featuring Nydod by the millions. They appeared in every country and continent, using the icy terrain to their advantage, burrowing under it and surprising their prey. They would not be denied their food by anything.

People started to realize that nothing was going to stop the Nydod. The government rounded up everyone they could and created small military bases around the country. Others formed small cities underground. Most people who went under stayed under. But some were trying to fight back. Some wanted to defeat the Nydod, at all costs…

{Exit page.}
Enter page 164, section 3B.
Request entering system. . .

{Opening new page.}

Nydod

The Nydod are mankind’s new threat, a predator from olden times. They can only survive in freezing temperatures, and are driven by the basic needs of survival. However, some of this insectoid race have been known to present human like mental characteristics, such as communication, and, in very limited cases, distinct personalities and emotions.

There are two documented types of Nydod, the Razgad and the Skrithak. Both kinds are equally dangerous and should only be approached if heavily armed. Documentation of the two is featured below.

Razgad

The Razgad are the most common of the two types, found in all groups of hunting Nydod. They walk on all fours along the ice and snow, and also feature two modified legs on the front of their body. These have been used for digging through the terrain as well as weapons. Their underbellies, like all known Nydod, are their only weak points.

Skrithak

The Skrithak are similar to the Razgad, though bipedal. Instead of two modified legs near their head, they have two long, sharp arms for a weapon of their own.

{Exit page.}
Human technology.
Request entering system. . .

Access granted.
{Opening page}

Guns

The models have undergone minor tweaks since the arrival of the Nydod, but much remains the same. We still have yet to develop any form of bullet to pierce the thick hide of the Nydod. Rumors are circulating out of Momento Vivere of a new gun prototype that fires superheated projectiles. Not yet confirmed.

Explosives

Explosives remain our most effective weapons against the Nydod waves. Forms of landmines have been developed for killing the burrowing Razgad. New missile platforms are in development, soon to be released worldwide. We have confirmed the building of a new grenade launcher in China.

Vehicles

Mankind has adapted well to this Second Ice Age. Older vehicles have been outdated, with very minimal fuel supplies left. Prototypes at the Momento Vivere base and in select countries around the world of a steam-powered tank are being tested for effectiveness. We also have several confirmed reports of similar steam-powered land vehicles. Aerial-vehicles still remain an issue. Research must be done.

{Exit page.}

((Let me know what you think! Also, I'm not the sole one responsible for this idea. My friend, whom I'm hoping to get here soon, contributed as well.))

Last edited by Orombur on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More information.)

Back to top Go down

Corrupt Winter Empty Re: Corrupt Winter

Post by Fluff Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:03 pm

*nodnod*

Yes please.
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 am

Added some information about human technology in the year of 2032.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAzricanRepublic Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:15 pm

You had me at "guns". I'll say, this looks like a marvelous idea. I'm fairly new here, so any tips on how to join would be appreciated. Spare me, I'm ignorant to your ways!
TheAzricanRepublic
TheAzricanRepublic
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kronos Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Aah. A good military RP is just what I've been looking for. This site is living up to its promises.

Also, the Soviets used sonar and seismological sensors during the '80s in Afghanistan to track the Mujaheddin, so it makes sense they would be in use to track these burrowing creatures. Also, I imagine ultra-sonic pulse weapons, like a scaled up anti-mole spike, would come in useful.

Count me in.
Kronos
Kronos
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down