FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010

2 posters

Go down

Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010 Empty Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Good morning, day, afternoon, and evening to you! I'm glad you've shown enough interest to open yet another thread of mine. This is strictly a discussion thread involving facts and opinions of play-by-post roleplaying. I'm calling this a "consensus report" because after looking at all of the hopeful opinions that will be collected in this thread, they will merge to create an understanding idea of the current era of roleplaying.

To start out, I'll ask you a series of questions. No one is expected to reply to every question, but the more information you are able to provide, the better in the long run. Commentary after your answers is always appreciated, as this is definitely a discussion thread as well. The thread is also open to debatable philosophies and theories concerning PbP RP.

In a short while, I hope to compose an in-depth roleplaying tutorial for beginners, covering a wide-range of areas and different philosophies. I have compose an in-depth tutorial before, but I'm afraid what I have in my archives has become somewhat out-dated, and so I wish to gather your input and theories in order to restructure it and make sure its up to speed with the current age. Of course, if you disagree that roleplaying is not defined by "age" or "era" then please say so, for that is your philosophy on PbP RP and is exactly what I but I'm afraid what I have in my archives has become somewhat out-dated, and so I wish to gather your input and theories in order to restructure it and make sure its up to speed with the current age. Of course, if you disagree that roleplaying is not defined by "age" or "era" then please say so in your commentary, for that is your philosophy on PbP RP and is exactly what I hope to see out of this consensus (the idea of the debate, of course, not any particular idea).

Now on to the questions, shall we?

To start off, I'll begin with asking you some of the basic questions concerning PbP RP. When answering these questions, put yourself in the shoes of a veteran and become a "mentor". Give an answer only if you're are satisfied with it, but remember to keep an open-enough mind so that if it is disagreed upon by someone else later, you may engage in a discussion without becoming too defensive. Also, do not forget to do your best at explaining your answers. A simple "yes" or "no" cannot be counted as part of the consensus, unless a previous comment you have given has already sufficed for the explanation wanted.

Question 1: What is the definition of "play-by-post roleplaying"?

Question 2: Can roleplaying be compared to "collaborative writing"?

Question 3: Part 1 What is the contrast between "in-character" and "out-of-character"? Part 2 Why does this contrast matter, if at all?

Question 4: Part 1 What is the definition of a "private roleplay" and "one-on-one roleplay"? Part 2 Can they be considered the same, or they are two different styles of RP?

The next set of questions will concern the player (not the character). Such questions ask for your opinions on governing a roleplay as the thread author, or how one might deal with an absent player. Others will ask for your opinion on collaboration techniques, and how much a roleplay's survival depends on the team of players involved.

Question 5: As a player seeking out a roleplay of interest, how much power do wish to allow the thread author to have over the roleplay? (this includes judgment calls, discretionary authority, copyright ownership, rule-making, etc.)

Question 6: As the thread author, how much power over a roleplay do you typically assume?

Question 7: When a participant in a roleplay fails to post for an extended period of time, what actions should the other players take in chronological order, if any actions are taken?

Question 8: True or False: Is it necessary for participants in a roleplay to meet often in an OOC conversation to discuss the plot or planning of a roleplay during the progression of the IC timeline? Explain.

Question 9: Is it the responsibility of the thread author to disclose all events, scenarios, and plot devices before the roleplay's completion, either IC or OOC?

Question 10: On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "no dependency", 10 being "extreme dependency") how much of a roleplay's survival is dependent upon the players?

Question 11: What techniques do you normally employ to introduce a new idea into the plot, either IC or OOC, as the player or thread author?

The next set of questions will concern genres. Keep in mind that some answers to the following questions may be controversial. Remember, that while completing every question in this survey will be appreciated, you are in no way obligated to reveal your opinions.

Question 12: Define the term "genre" when associated with play-by-post roleplaying.

Question 13: What is the easiest genre for a beginning roleplayer to practice in, assuming he/she has no prior experience with play-by-post roleplaying?

Question 14: What is the most common plot in each of the following main-stream genres: science fiction, fantasy, romance, fiction & literature, historical/present military, horror?

Question 15: Which of the following "new age" genres should be considered a main stream genre: high school, vampire, zombie, animalia, anime/manga, steampunk?

Question 16: Is there one, compact (not exceeding 2,000 characters), character profile template that is suitable for all genres? If so, please share it in your post, or provide link to the external file (torrents will not be considered in the consensus, due to Forumotion Terms of Service conditions stating that torrent files or download links of any kind are strictly prohibited).

The following set of questions will pertain to your personal experiences as a roleplayer. These questions will inquire about your history, frequency of participating in a particular style, etc. These questions won't require an explanation to the answer given, unless stated.

Question 17: When did you begin your PbP RP experience?

Question 18: On average, how many roleplays do you participate in per month?

Question 19: On average, how many roleplays do you create per month?

Question 20: What is your favorite roleplaying "genre"?

Question 21: How many other players will you participate in a roleplay with at maximum? Why?

Question 22: How long do you normally wait in between your IC posts?

Question 23: Part 1 Have you ever authored a completed roleplay? Part 2 Have you ever participated in a completed roleplay that is not your own? How many of each?

Question 24: On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "a waste of time", 10 being "it changed my life!") how would you rate your PbP RP experience so far?

The final set of questions are meant to dig out your personal ideologies. While the questions have potential to strike up a controversy, they are mean to be educative and not for the sole purpose of argument. When answering these questions, please refrain from politically incorrect phrases. The use of academic material is greatly appreciated, but please leave the bull shit at the door.

Question 25: A participant in a roleplay is accused by the other participants that he is being disruptive and attempting to "derail" the roleplay's plot. The thread author requests for a forum moderator to ask the participant to leave the roleplay. No prior discussion had taken place between the thread author and the participant concerning the participant's actions. According to witnesses of the website, the thread author and participant had no relationship prior to the beginning of the roleplay. As an observer, with this information, do you believe the thread author's requesting of the participant's removal was just?

Question 26: Roleplay death may be defined as the discontinuation of a roleplay. One common question is, "why do roleplays die?". In an academic manner, how would you answer this question?

Question 27: Many roleplaying forums will separate their board into a minimum of two experience levels (i.e. Beginner, Casual, Advanced, Elite, etc.). Do you believe roleplaying experience should be separated?

Now that you have answered as many of the above questions as you could, you are free to add any additional commentary. If you wish to add further thoughts to an answer, instead of adding it in your commentary, we recommend you simply add it to that answer for clarity. In this section you are more than welcome to provide feedback concerning this consensus, or comment on any discussion already taking place.

A statistical analysis will eventually be summoned from this thread and provided in a later thread, along with the publication of my new roleplay tutorials. Note, that the tutorials will not cover everything that this consensus has focuses on, and that it may even cover areas that it hasn't. An example of exclusion would be the last section, where political ideologies will, no doubt, clash and spark an interesting conversation.

I'll be posting my answers soon. I need a cup of joe, first. Wink Hope to see some responses, and thanks again for your cooperation! You can now give me back the breathalyser tube. Very Happy

For a quick response to the questions, you can copy and paste the following BBC in your response post:

Code:

Question 3: [sup]Part 1[/sup] What is the contrast between "in-character" and "out-of-character"? [sup]Part 2[/sup] Why does this contrast matter, if at all?

Question 4: [sup]Part 1[/sup] What is the definition of a "private roleplay" and "one-on-one roleplay"? [sup]Part 2[/sup] Can they be considered the same, or they are two different styles of RP?

Question 5: As a player seeking out a roleplay of interest, how much power do wish to allow the thread author to have over the roleplay? (this includes judgment calls, discretionary authority, copyright ownership, rule-making, etc.)

Question 6: As the thread author, how much power over a roleplay do you typically assume?

Question 7: When a participant in a roleplay fails to post for an extended period of time, what actions should the other players take in chronological order, if any actions are taken?

Question 8: True or False: Is it necessary for participants in a roleplay to meet often in an OOC conversation to discuss the plot or planning of a roleplay during the progression of the IC timeline? Explain.

Question 9: Is it the responsibility of the thread author to disclose all events, scenarios, and plot devices before the roleplay's completion, either IC or OOC?

Question 10: On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "no dependency", 10 being "extreme dependency") how much of a roleplay's survival is dependent upon the players?

Question 11: What techniques do you normally employ to introduce a new idea into the plot, either IC or OOC, as the player or thread author?

Question 12: Define the term "genre" when associated with play-by-post roleplaying.

Question 13: What is the easiest genre for a beginning roleplayer to practice in, assuming he/she has no prior experience with play-by-post roleplaying?

Question 14: What is the most common plot in each of the following main-stream genres: science fiction, fantasy, romance, fiction & literature, historical/present military, horror?

Question 15: Which of the following "new age" genres should be considered a main stream genre: high school, vampire, zombie, animalia, anime/manga, steampunk?

Question 16: Is there one, [b][i]compact[/i][/b] (not exceeding 2,000 characters), character profile template that is suitable for all genres? If so, please share it in your post, or provide link to the external file (torrents will not be considered in the consensus, due to Forumotion Terms of Service conditions stating that torrent files or download links of any kind are strictly prohibited).

Question 18: On average, how many roleplays do you [i]participate in[/i] per month?

Question 19: On average, how many roleplays do you [i]create[/i] per month?

Question 21: How many other players will you participate in a roleplay with at maximum? Why?

Question 23: [sup]Part 1[/sup] Have you ever authored a completed roleplay? [sup]Part 2[/sup] Have you ever participated in a completed roleplay that is not your own? How many of each?

Question 24: On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "a waste of time", 10 being "it changed my life!") how would you rate your PbP RP experience so far?

Question 25: A participant in a roleplay is accused by the other participants that he is being disruptive and attempting to "derail" the roleplay's plot. The thread author requests for a forum moderator to ask the participant to leave the roleplay. No prior discussion had taken place between the thread author and the participant concerning the participant's actions. According to witnesses of the website, the thread author and participant had no relationship prior to the beginning of the roleplay. As an observer, with this information, do you believe the thread author's requesting of the participant's removal was just?

Question 26: Roleplay death may be defined as the discontinuation of a roleplay. One common question is, "why do roleplays die?". In an academic manner, how would you answer this question?

Question 27: Many roleplaying forums will separate their board into a minimum of two experience levels (i.e. Beginner, Casual, Advanced, Elite, etc.). Do you believe roleplaying experience should be separated?

Back to top Go down

Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010 Empty Re: Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:03 pm

A writing activity that involves two or more persons acting as predetermined characters exchanging posts to compose a story in a forum-style environment.

Yes.

Question 3: Part 1 What is the contrast between "in-character" and "out-of-character"?

In-character refers to posts made as if you were a character in the story. Out-of-character refers to any post or comment that would not be made by the said character, but, never-the-less, needs to be stated or asked for the role-play to run properly.

Part 2 Why does this contrast matter, if at all?

It matters because confusion can arise if it is not made clear what posts are as a "character" and which are as "you". Designated IC and OOC areas or forms of type can help alleviate this potential issue.

Question 4: Part 1 What is the definition of a "private roleplay" and "one-on-one roleplay"?

A role-play involving only two individuals that may play as one or more characters.

Part 2 Can they be considered the same, or they are two different styles of RP?

It depends on what you mean by "private". Most people use the term interchangeably with "one-on-one". Some, however, treat a "private" role-play as an invitation only event.

The thread author makes the rules specific to that particular role-play. He/she manages NPCs, setting and plot developments. He/she will make judgment calls as he/she sees fit.

It depends. Usually, unless I am co-authoring, I stick to the above. Clearly stated rules are required.

Players, should they notice inactivity in a player, should take the issue to the author. The author can choose to wait, play the person's character as an NPC or drop them from the role-play.

It depends on the group and the complexities of the plot. There needs to be some OOC comunication for all role-plays, however.

No. Suspense may be needed as a plot device. Sometimes the author can keep the players guessing.

If it is a drastic deviation from what is currently occurring, giving a warning in the OOC is a must to avoid confusion. If it is minor, than the issue being handled in the IC should suffice.

A general archetype for a role-play's setting, plot or theme.

Modern role-plays may prove easiest as it requires less strength of imagination. However, the genre will depend on the individual more often than not.

This is a hard question to answer. It all depends on what has, at that particular time, been portrayed in the "mainstream" of book and film.

I don't really care for such classification. Most can fall into the other more general genres.

Question 16: Is there one, compact (not exceeding 2,000 characters), character profile template that is suitable for all genres? If so, please share it in your post, or provide link to the external file (torrents will not be considered in the consensus, due to Forumotion Terms of Service conditions stating that torrent files or download links of any kind are strictly prohibited).

N/A

When I was 13.

3 (Depends on activity.)

0 (I rarely spear-head my own thread.)

I only have dis-likes.

12. Any more than that makes the role-play impossible to manage. The ideal number would be 6.

Until the appropriate players respond/are given the chance to reply.

Question 23: Part 1 Have you ever authored a completed roleplay? Part 2 Have you ever participated in a completed roleplay that is not your own? How many of each?

1/1

No. Issues should be addressed by the thread author before bringing it to the attention of the forum moderator.

Lack of a stable plot, lack of participation by the players or abandonment by the thread author.

Yes. Separation allows for different levels of experience, activity and complexity.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010 Empty Re: Roleplay Consensus Report - Winter/Spring 2010

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Individuals creating characters who will share experiences in a single setting and plot, to create a story that will be fleshed out using individual post by post writing.

No. Collaborative writing takes a higher level of intercommunication, as well as equal power over all characters, settings, and plots involved.

Question 3: Part 1 What is the contrast between "in-character" and "out-of-character"? Part 2 Why does this contrast matter, if at all?
In Character: the actual story
Out of Character: notes and discussion about the story
This contrast is vital. Don't post OOC material IC, or you ruin the flow of the story.

Question 4: Part 1 What is the definition of a "private roleplay" and "one-on-one roleplay"? Part 2 Can they be considered the same, or they are two different styles of RP?
One on one: two people involved only
Private: a select amount of people were previously determined to be allowed into this role play
They are interchangable. A one on one may be private, and vice a versa.

I prefer that the thread author has a fair amount of power, so that there is an authority to go to when something goes awry.

I haven't created many roleplays that have not been co-run by my husband, so it is hard to say. I try to hear everyone's point of view before I make a judgement call, but if I make one I expect it to be followed.

PM the user, and email them if you have access to their email. If they don't respond, then go on without them.

I think so. It is nerve wracking when you have no idea what is going on in that other person's head.

Anything known preemptively should be shared, but some plot devices/etc come on a whim.

10. Even the loss of one player can kill a thread.

If it involves only one individual, I usually PM that person first. If it involves the whole group, I pitch it in the OOC. If it involves only my character, I go for it.

The theme, setting and/or plot used in your role play that is commonly used in other role plays, as well as books, movies, etc.

Probably fantasy, a made up fantasy world with no rules or expectations. Either that, or a well known fandom.

science fiction: intergalactic peace
fantasy: a dark lord taking over the world
romance: getting laid
fiction & literature: personal character development
historical/present military: fighting a war....
horror: dying/killing

zombie, steampunk, anime (though not because I want it...)

I've never been able to use one character template.

When I was 16.

Anywhere from 1-4.

Less than 1. I only create one every few months or so.

fantasy, historical fiction, fandoms

Well, I'm currently in a role play with 18 players, so I suppose that is my maximum. Usually, I'm comfortable with about 8. It gives room to survive if people drop, but isn't too busy if everyone stays.

Depends. I try to post at least every week, but sometimes I am slower, and sometimes faster. I suppose every role play can only go as fast as its slowest poster. I just try not to be the slowest poster....

I have not authored or participated in a completed role play.

If the role play between Silv and I gets published, it will be a 10. Right now I'll call it a 6.

I think there needs to be more interaction between author and participant.

People get bored, or get busy, or get angry, When one person leaves, it gives others the opportunity to do the same. Once so much work has been invested in a role play, it is hard to just start over.

If by this you mean forced categories, as in certain people are only allowed to post in certain areas, then No. It doesn't give anyone a chance to get better if they are thrown into the beginner and cannot go any further than that until they "prove" themselves (which is hard ot do when you must rely on others activity to do so). I think that if someone is not keeping up with others in a role play, it is fair to ask them to step down, but I think the mighter thing to do is offer to help with their posts until they do get better (this of course being under the assumption that they will recieve help).

If you mean like FOG, where one chooses where their role play goes, then Yes.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down