FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The First Contest of the New Year!!

+10
Hello Danger
Kalon Ordona II
Kathryn Lacey
MoiraofWords
Weiss
Gadreille
Ragter the junior greeter
Bird of Hermes
Sunwolf007
Gunneh
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The First Contest of the New Year!! Empty The First Contest of the New Year!!

Post by Gunneh Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 am

'Family Secrets'
2010's New Year Contest

The First Contest of the New Year!! WritingContest

Welcome to a new year, Foggers! With the absence of our FOG Mother and the recent re-introduction of our usual active population after their post-holiday recuperation, it is myself and the rest of the staff's absolute pleasure to bring to you the January 2010 Writing Contest! This contest will only be judged by the moderators as a way to boost morale and participation, so check it out, give us that good ol' Footsteps of Ghosts writing and, most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Rules

• Only members of FOG may enter. The Administrators and the judges are the only ones here not able to compete.

• No material submitted can be above the rating we have set for our message board, which is R. If any submission is deemed unsuitable, that person will be disqualified. If you are unsure whether or not something could be rated R or above (as in NC-17), then it is best to just exclude that from your writing.

• There is a length limit of 3,000 words. No entry is to exceed this limit. If an entry is above the limit, we will ask you to shorten it before it is even considered for judging.
    (In order to check how many words you have, simply open Microsoft Word, and go to Tools --> Word Count. If you do not have Word, or would simply like a quicker/easier way, you can use this Word Count Tool.) There is no minimum amount of words required.

• All submissions must be posted here in a reply.

• Only fictional stories will be accepted. In other words, poems, songs, biographies, or other written works will not be recognized.

• All entries must be original works in English. Plagiarism, in any form, will, of course, disqualify you.

• Only one entry per person is allowed.

• All entries are final. No revisions will be accepted. This means, be sure to carefully read over your entry for mistakes before turning it in. When it is submitted, it will be considered complete and finalized. (Only when the judging is complete and a winner chosen are you allowed to edit your entry, if you desire.)

Subject

The theme of this contest is Family Secrets. Everyone must have a form of the following at or near the beginning of their entry.
Spoiler:
Descriptive wording may be altered in order to fit a different setting. You may write in any genre you wish, but Family Secrets should be the focal point of each entry.

Prizes

The winner of the contest will have their winning entry placed into the Contest Winners subforum of the Hall of Fame, where all may read it from then on. Every official contest winner also receives a badge that they can display (if they choose) in their signature. They will also be awarded with an art request from Kalon Ordona II. The winner will be able to request a drawing to be done for them of whatever they like. (For examples of his works, see his Elfwood Gallery, and a couple full-color renderings of GaiaOnline avatars: himself and Serinal.)

Deadline

The contest is now officially open. The deadline for entries is Tuesday, January 26th, 2010, which will mark the end of the contest. Judging will be open for five days afterward, and the winner will be announced no later than January 31st.

EDIT:

THE CONTEST HAS BEEN EXTENDED!

All entries are DUE on January 31, 2010! Judging will begin shortly after and the winner will be announced NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 7, 2010!

Judges

• Gunneh
  • Weiss
  • Kalon Ordona II

Entries:

To Bring Back The Dead - Bird of Hermes
Untitled - hubris1987
Welcome Home - The Melancholy Spirit
Untitled - Kestrel
A Wonderful World - MoiraofWords
Two Worlds - Ragter the junior Greeter
The Parks Escape - Hello Danger
Bloodlines - Anaris

Last edited by Weiss on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 12 times in total (Reason for editing : Sticky (Shades, 1/12/2010))
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

The First Contest of the New Year!! Empty Re: The First Contest of the New Year!!

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am

Sweet! I couldn't wait for another short story contest. Certainly didn't give us much time to write. Well I am going to try for it anyway. Does it have to be a dead grandfather or can it be a dead someone that you recognize?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

The First Contest of the New Year!! Empty Re: The First Contest of the New Year!!

Post by Bird of Hermes Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Oh. This is kind of creepy. I like it. Now I just need to think up an idea, because I am completely at a loss.
-----
Now I have an idea. Hopefully, I can get it to paper in time. I am looking forward to it.

Last edited by Bird of Hermes on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Keep with the subject of Family Secrets, Sunwolf, and I don't believe there will be a problem changing it around a bit.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Wow, drawing a blank here about how to go from that, but I'll figure it out Neutral Hopefully.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Hm. The beginning thing is throwing me off. Am I to assume that we have to have someone ressurected from the dead knock on our door, saying we are in danger?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Not exactly resurrected unless that's how you want it to go. Could be that it was a faked death or any other way that you could think of to do it.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Just so you all know, we realize that this is a very loose theme. It can be taken in an insane number of directions. So, as long as that opening is, in some part, incorporated into your own story's opening, you will have matched the theme of the writing contest.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Can it be from the 1st person perspective or must it be 2nd person?

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

I don't see why it couldn't be from another perspective. I don't want to say one way and have Gunneh say another, so in the end it's up to him, but I'm fairly certain it can be written in any perspective you like, so long as it's prose and contains a version of that opening.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm

1. So that relevant statement has to be included in the word count?
2. You have to be in danger?
3. Grandpa must be dead? (Or to that point, it must be Grandpa as opposed to another Grand/ Great- relative?)

Those are my three questions of relevance: please don't get offended if they seem a bit boorish.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:53 pm

If you can think of any other relative, situation, perspective of writing or anything like that, I'm game. The idea behind this contest was to give you guys a little more information to work of because of the shorter time frame.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Wow... I'm surprised that the word limit became shorter rather than larger... but I suppose with the limited time frame and only three judges, it's not too surprising. Just a bit disappointing considering I had thought it would be becoming larger.

I'll take what I can get, though.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 pm

*keeps track: 1 request for longer* Homework

You all are free to write in any genre or style you like. Just include that starter script at or near the beginning. You may mess with the setting all you like--and change the wording accordingly--but the spirit of the thing should match. Nod

Also, the dead person doesn't have to be the only family secret, or even the main one. There are so many ways people could interpret and expand on the starting words. It's probably best to stick with the grandfather, but I suppose you don't have to.

Yes, the starter script will be included in the word count, since you're free to modify it.
No, you don't have to be in danger. The grandfather might have it totally wrong, after all.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:12 am

Does it have to be the starter script with added words or just the idea of waking up on an ordinary day?
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 am

Kalon, it's just that when the last contest rolled around, Fate had said something about possibly lengthening the word limit because so many people would have preferred it. I was just surprised that the opposite had occurred. It's not a big deal, though.

I have an idea in mind for all of this, and even though the story itself will be fictional, a few real people are going to be the inspiration for some of the characters. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 am

I think I'll sit this one out.

Good luck everyone!
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:38 pm

I am already two pages double-spaced into my story. I really am having a good time with this theme.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm

This theme has a lot of possibilities. I'm finding it hard not to write up an entry myself, just for fun, but I know there are other things I should be focusing on.

I hope everyone can come up with a different and creative branch from this central theme. I look forward to reading the entries. Aww
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:45 pm

I can't believe this. I have done nothing but write for the past few days and have surprised myself that I am now finished the story. Not only that, but it is less than a hundred words short of the limit.

I will have it up after I finish the proof-reading.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm

That's awesome, Hermes!! xD
Feels great, doesn't it! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Great job, Hermes! I wish I had the time to do that... I'm juggling so many things right now that I don't even know if I will be able to participate in this contest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Here is my entry. It is a mere one word under the limit. I hope that you enjoy critiquing it.

Without futher ado, here is "To Bring Back the Dead" by the Bird of Hermes.

Spoiler:
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

The First Contest of the New Year!! Empty Contest Entry

Post by hubris1987 Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Hello. I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I was instantly attracted by the Caligo world your site has formed, and after creating my character, I noticed that forum was a little neglected. So, I decided this contest would be a good way to get my first story about Caligo down, so here you are.

Spoiler:

Last edited by hubris1987 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Various grammatical issues, addressed the contradiction of Dale digging up a family grave right after he chased off an intruder for doing just that.)
hubris1987
hubris1987
Mist
Mist

Male

http://www.dailyfrivolity.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:33 am

Hermes: Congratulations on being the first contest entry this time around. I'll try to provide a worthwhile critique, though I had intended to do less of a formal review this time around. Since you seem interested, though, I will try to jot down some notes as I go along and provide something of a critique at the very least.

Hubris1987: Well, I haven't gotten a chance to read through the whole thing - honestly, I just skimmed through the first few paragraphs to see if it met the basic criteria - but it looks pretty amusing. The idea of using a Caligo theme for the contest is quite unique. I'm looking forward to sitting down and giving it a thorough read when I have the time to spare. After I've read through Hermes' entry, of course.

For now, congratulations on finishing a contest entry as your first step here at the forums. Welcome to FOG. If this short story is any indication, I'm certain you'll fit in very well.

Last edited by Weiss on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited a bunch of times because I'm exhausted and can't type...)
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hubris1987 Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Thank you, Mr. White.
hubris1987
hubris1987
Mist
Mist

Male

http://www.dailyfrivolity.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Hermes: Congratulations on being the first contest entry this time around. I'll try to provide a worthwhile critique, though I had intended to do less of a formal review this time around. Since you seem interested, though, I will try to jot down some notes as I go along and provide something of a critique at the very least.

Don't stress yourself too much with the critique. As long as I have some feedback to know how to improve, it's good.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Done already you two? Wow, good job, I'll probably be getting done either this weekend or next weekend, one of those two.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Sooo... I might be putting an entry in after all. I have a decent idea I'm playing around with. Lets see if I can make the deadline.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:31 pm

I finally came up with a decent idea last night so hopefully I'll be able to get something in before the deadline.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next