FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOG Reviews the movies!!

+10
Sunwolf007
Spectre
Ominous Flare
Cypher
Sighlent
Shekinah
Kathryn Lacey
Hello Danger
Gunneh
Squall Reyes
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

FOG Reviews the movies!! - Page 3 Empty Re: FOG Reviews the movies!!

Post by Hello Danger Sat May 08, 2010 6:09 pm

I'd like to just stop by and agree with you, Squall. Kick Ass was easily epic! Anyone can like this movie, and coming from someone who was a fan of the comics first, I'm going to say something you will rarely hear/read... I liked the movie better! There I said it. lol

Squall, the only thing I would have to slightly disagree you on is who stole the show. Mark Strong as Frank D'Amico, head of a criminal organization did such a brilliant job. I wish he had been given more screen time.

Spoiler:
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat May 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Kick-Ass was brilliantly hilarious and gritty at the same time. It makes me want to read the comics and watch the second movie. As was mentioned before the actress who played Hit Girl steals the show with her acting. It was hard for her to do with all the great work put in by all the other actors and actresses. The dark comedy made this movie epic when combined with the amazing action sequences and some well written dialogue. I expect to own this movie when it comes out on DVD and watch it often.

Iron Man 2 was a well written and as entertaining as the first movie. Robert Downey Jr. maintains his excellent portrayal of Tony Stark with his quick wit and narcissistic attitudes. Gwyneth Paltrow returns as Tony Stark's better half and mantaines her awesome portrayal of Pepper Potts. Sam Jackson as Nick Fury was amazing as well as Scarlett Johansson who played Natalie Rushman / Natasha Romanoff. The supporting cast was excellent and Don Cheadle did a great job playing Lt. Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes. The interactions between the characters really made this movie that much better. The action sequences were incredibly detailed and held a lot of intense moments. The big boss fight at the end could have been dragged on a bit longer to make it feel less anti climatic but overall this movie was excellent. If you liked the first movie watch this one!
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun May 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Iron man 2: Sorry for the somewhat lateness review of this. But I was rather busy this weekend. Watching this movie....twice. So I suppose you can tell from just that statement what I thought of the movie. But since I'm not being paid to give cheap short reviews I suppose I should go on. Wait I'm not being paid....oh well.

When Iron Man can out during the "BEST YEAR OF MOVIES EVAR" (Ok ok fine second best. Not a damn thing is gonna touch 1982.) It came at film goers as the unknown. Everyone knew about the Hulk and EVERYBODY was going to see Dark Knight. But that year when you told someone you were going to the midnight showing of Iron Man, if they weren't comic fans you were probably greeted with blank looks and "whaa"s. But one solid script, acting and directing job later and now EVERYONE knows who Iron Man is.

Now this could have been some real problems, because when a movie studio gets the feeling it could make more money pandering to the "normal" crowds. (Something they had already mistakenly done. See Spider-man 3 thanks to Avi Arid and X men 3 and Origins thanks to 20th Century Fox.) And if you haven't noticed, yes it was Avi Arid who pushed for Venom because EVERYONE knew who Venom was and gave us one of the worse comic movies ever. That's right EVER. This could have easily been the downfall of Iron Man 2. But for whatever the reason, (wither it be that Arid kept his hands off the product or that he learned from his previous mistake) Iron Man 2 does not fall into this trap.

It sticks to what it knows best. The character interactions feel just as fresh and new as they did in he first film, the character growth is still at the fore front and the action takes it place as the second most important thing in the film and you know what it works. Iron Man is not Thor or even Captain America, he is a thinking mans super hero. A futurist, a man who sees the coming problems and tries to solve it hand or at least be 5 moves ahead of the other guy.

Sadly once again the villains are pushed to the back of the film even thought they are played by the AWESOME duo of Rourke and Rockwell. Rourke taking up more of the muscle end of the bad guys (though the man is a god damn scientist and shows that mistaking him for stupid can really fuck with your day.) and Rockwell taking the role of the "brains". Rockwell in my eyes does a great job capturing Tony's rival Justin Hammer, he plays Hammer as a Tony Stark without Tony's morals and when hes on the screen you can very much feel like this could have been Tony if he had not met that ambush in the desert. Perhaps even Tony sees it as RDJ's Tony does give off a feeling of being uncomfortable around Hammer, perhaps seeing who he was before gives Tony an unfamiliar feeling of shame.

In either case this film is rock solid. It gives us everything we had in the first film and more. I'm sure many of you have already seen it, perhaps some have already seen it more than once like myself. But if you haven't what the fucks wrong with you? Get your ass to a movie theater.

P.S. Do I really need to tell you? I'm sure you know. STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!

P.P.S. HOLY SHIT THEY ARE REALLY GOING TO DO IT! THE AVENGERS ARE COMING!
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Attie Sun May 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Dude, Thor. It's awesome. :]

P.S. Was Scarlett's character Black Widow?
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sun May 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Dude, Captain f-ing America! It's even more awesome!
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun May 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Attie: Yes that's right.

Danger: Helll yes! Was a little unsure with Chris Evans being cast at Cap. But going off of his interviews I dare say they got the right man for the job.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Same feeling at first, Squal, but I'm going to let him do his thing. They've nailed The Hulk and now Iron Man 1&2, so I'll trust them with one of my favoirte superheroes of all time!

I can seriously see the movie in my head... its crazy!
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 pm

I just watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and I have to say that I actually liked it. It was very... fanciful and whimsical, and I have a tendency to like such movies.

It's well known that this movie was the very last one Heath Ledger ever shot, but he passed before he could finish it. In order to complete the movie, actors Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Collin Farell were cast to replace him at different points in the movie.

I will admit that I really didn't know much about the movie beyond that, and I mainly rented it to learn how they accomplished it. I like to think that they did a very amusing yet quality job with the task.

However, I believe this movie is worth seeing. I hate giving spoilers, so I won't.

I'll just say that all the actors did a wonderful job, and I was left constantly guessing what was going to happen and what the events that did occur meant for the rest of the movie.

It was fun and very enjoyable if you can make yourself sit through it until it starts to make some sort of sense. heheh

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Attie Sun May 09, 2010 11:34 pm

I tried watching the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and for the love of God, I just.. Couldn't get in to it. I gave it an hour's worth of time before I turned it off and immediately returned it to the red box. =/ But before hand, I, too, was looking forward to Heath's last shot movie and the way they filmed it with the other actors you listed already.

I just.. I was sad to find out I just didn't enjoy it at all. =/
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 pm

My oh my. It's been a while hasn't it? (Damn you life sucking work and wedding planning!) Anyways lets get right to it.

Robin Hood: 5/10. Great actors, great director, great setting, and yet with an original idea (The original movie idea was called Nottingham in which the sheriff was the good guy and Robin a common thief) you turn around and give us a fucking origins story? Fuck you Hollywood. Fuck you. A poor uninteresting script cannot be saved by these fine performers.

Shrek Forever After: 1/10 No. Just no. Don't even bother. They say this is the last movie of the series and I hope that is true because these movies have finally hit the very bottom rung of movie making. A series of once original idea and storyline has resorted to copy pasting It's a Wonderful Life. With CGI fairy tale creatures. Don't see it. Let this series die with the pathetic whimper its chosen for itself.

Prince of Persia: 7/10 We finally have a good video game movie. (Wait didn't we already have Mortal Kombat and the first Tomb Raider?) It's too bad it wasn't a GREAT video game movie. I know Disney was hoping this would be a PotC cash cow. But they seem to have forgotten what made PotC 1&2 such great films. They took a dead film genre and made it FUN again. They gave us memorable characters, great humor and a solid storyline. (Needless to say they missed all 3 with the third.) PoP fails to give us any of these things. Sure the character's serve their purpose the comedy might get a laugh now and then but the story is a standard to sub standard piece and no one in the film is memorable.

Splice: 9/10 I'll simply say that this is this years District 9 and I KNOW many of you have never heard of this film. So get your ass to the theaters!

A Team: 8/10 Great FUN action film. It won't make you think, but it is an action film done RIGHT. Micheal Bay take notes, this is how it's done. In fact never mind just retire Mr. Bay please before you ruin any more of my childhood memories. Anyways all the actors are solid and I mean SOLID and great interpretation of the great 80's TV show. Mr. Sharlto Copley steals the show with the role of "Howling Mad" Murdoch. This guy is on fire folks and may he be around for a LONG time. Go see this film as well. It's just a great great time at the theaters weather you remember the old TV show or not.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:52 pm

You liked splice? Hm, i can see why... however a few setbacks utterly mutilated the movie for me, unsavable in my opinion. i left the theatre in the last quarter of splice. However having a decent idea, they ruined it. Despite it's predictability.

I'm imagining there is a spoiler involved, so here.
Spoiler:

Well, yeah. I just hated the direction they went iwth it, from the psychological thriller, to a RUN! HIDE! thriller. Regardless if it was the point of the movie to lose all rationality and sensibility of parenting, it probabl could've taken different steps in a few spots. Or at least, not gratified the steps it took [in my opinion] in the wrong way.

Yes, the movie COULD HAVE gone to some cool places.. however- the wrong in this film was WAY too wrong for me. It has nothing to do with sensitivity- it had to do with being able to tolerate the ridiculous, stupid, intolerable, and uselessly violating. I've tolerated [despite their stupidity] SAW movies [uselessly disgusting and violent/gruesome], The last house on the left [depicting a full rape scene which i was angered at, however it was at least sensible for the story and character/s.], and stuff like that

My girlfriend, on the other hand, felt vicariously violated, and was physically disgusted.

Love the movie? Great, i could totally see why- great story idea, newish genre, good effects, cool science. But me? -shakes head- No, freaking, way.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but love how they turned the classic Frankenstein story on it's head. Instead of it being a male neglectful scientist you have the obsessed mother scientist. A very welcome change after so many monster movies playing the same song. And I LOVE how they didn't go with the done to death lesson of science "tampering in God's domain." And instead goes with a story of tragedy happening because of the characters emotional instability and not field that they practice in. In fact it comes close to making a point that forcing the scientist to go rouge because of our squeamishness toward science might have actually caused the coming horrors.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 am

Amidst all the wedding craziness I take time to bring you all a single review.

Toy Story 3: What the fuck is wrong with you. It's Pixar. It's Toy Story. It's the best damn ending to a trilogy ever. Get your ass to the movies!!! 10/10
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Well well, it's been quite some time since I've last been here and I've seen quite some movies in the mean time, but since all of them were old and I saw most of them once - if not more - before, I'll keep it short and just talk about the movie I saw in the cinema last thursday:

Unthinkable
Directed by: Gregor Jordan
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Sheen, Carrie-Anne Moss a.o.

Well, it wasn't exactly my first choice to go see in the cinema, but since a friend from Belgium was coming over and we didn't exactly have the privilege nor time to choose just whatever movie we wanted, we had to go with this one. I was kinda skeptic, since the last movie I saw starring Jackson (Resurrecting the Champ) wasn't exactly great. In fact: I thought Jackson sucked. (While the rest of the movie was quite alright, yet predictable, but who says there's something wrong with that ey?) But he made up for it quite good in Unthinkable. But he wasn't nearly as good as Michael Sheen. I'll get to that later.

Unthinkable tries to force us to answer one big question: how far are we allowed to go when it comes down to terrorism? And with that subject given, Unthinkable approached a very actual and famous topic with a new and fresh eye: terrorism. You see, the terrorist, Steven Arthur Younger (Michael Sheen), in this scenario is catched rather quickly and that's because this terrorist wants to be caught. When they do have him, some shady looking person is hired, H. (Jackson), to 'interrogate' him, all under the watchfull eye of special agent Brody (Carrie-Anne Moss). But of course the means and ways of this H. aren't really nice. In fact, they don't even touch the subject of ethics one bit. And that's what this whole movie is about: ethics.

To me, that's interesting because it provides the director with an oppertunity to stay away from the all too familiar commercial path and experiment a bit, but unfortunately he didn't. The question of how far we are or should be allowed to go, is primarily being answered by H. and Brody and of course they differ like night and day from each other in their answers. That aside, Jackson is quite convincing as H., but Moss doesn't come close to him in her role as Brody, which makes that the movie loses in credibility. Nevertheless, it also makes you wonder whether or not awful things like this really happen in our every day life, without us knowing, because of course everyone knows that in essence this isn't legimit at all, but where there is a law, there's a way to break it or move around it.

That aside, the movie also fales at certain details, for instance: discovering the tape from the terrorist on wednesday, where he claims his bombs will go off on friday, on which the FBI states they've got four days to find the bombs (now, I know I'm not particular good at maths, but I know this can never count for four days...), an army soldier or officer or whatever he was, pulling of evidence from a shady looking place without using gloves or without even thinking the obvious, some strange script alterations and more of these things.

Jordan was given, or perhaps he created it himself, a nice chance to do something new and experimental with a subject that's actual and difficult to use, because everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they're involved, so whenever it's not done properly (enough) critics will rise, but all he did was kicking off nice, without ever reaching his goal. In the end Unthinkable still became a commercial movie that was destined to reach the mainstream public, and with that Jordan threw away the chance to create a movie that could've been outstanding, perhaps even a classic, if only he wouldn't go for the bigger audience.
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Inception: (Yes I got to see it early.) 10/10

Not much a review guys.This movie has gotten 10/10's like crazy so you guys should know to go see this movie. First day. 2 times.

Despicable Me: 7/10

I know I was surprised too. But the film without of a doubt took many lessons from Pixar and even the Loney Toons slapstick comedy. An enjoyable family film. But really with Inception coming out there is no reason to see it if you haven't yet. Wait for Inception.

FOG Reviews the movies!! - Page 3 Thor

New Thor image is out. I have to say Squall approves.

This has been out for a while but puts the whole Marvel vs DC movies debate into a nice little song. No seriously take a look. So far I say the best superhero studio so far is Marvel Studios. The have not come out with a bad movie so far and Thor, Captain America and Avengers are all heading the right direction. Some would argue Warner Bros with it's Batman franchise. And to those people I have 3 words. "Batman and Robin."
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I can't wait to see Inception!!!
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:54 am

FOG Reviews the movies!! - Page 3 Glsuit_1279204921

DC fires back at the newly released Thor picture with the very first look at Green Lantern. I'm sorry to say. Squalleh does not approve. Should have gone with a real suit. Or at the very least a real mask! Yes the mask is CGI.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Well it has been a while, but after Inception the films coming out seemed to had gone through a bit of a lull. Don't bother with any movie after Inception.

Except Salt. That wasn't bad. Anyways. (Oh and if you haven't seen Predators yet. Go do that.)

In contrast to the last several weeks, this week hit movie goers with two good choices. A love letter to geeks and gamers alike, and quite possibly the most baddest of bad ass casts ever.

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World: 8/10

Scott Pilgrim like any other critically acclaimed graphic novel, carries with it a fan base that will automatically go see this film. Good or bad. (Ok if it's bad they will still see it but bitch about it later online.) So does this film escape the wrath of its loyal fan base. Well yes and no.

By all means it is a very well made film, and certainly keeps the best parts of the graphic novel alive in the movie as well. What parts you may ask? Well lets dive into the plot.

Lead character Scott Pilgrim is a 20 something year old Canadian indy rocker who really now that I think about it and look back on it is kind of an douche bag. (But you know what with a band called Sex Babomb I can forgive him for that.) Scott then falls for the mysterious and world weary Ramona Flowers. And then things get weird.

One of the most charming things about the movie along with the graphic novel is that it completely avoids justifying or even explaining why in this alternate reality everyone has some sort of superpower, magical blade, (Even an seemingly harmless Scott turns out to be a kung fu master.) and in this world no one is afraid to use these skills. Which in turn results in a world where emotional conflicts are resolved by boss battles. And there in lies Scott's dilemma in the film, as he must first defeat Ramona's 7 evil ex boyfriends. (Excuse me 6 boys and 1 ex girlfriend, because I mean come on the Ramona has pink hair at one point. You know at one point she was at least curious.)

The boss battles are really the fun highlight of the film. A kind of nerd fest on screen that would make anyone of this generation smile with fond memories of games past. I mean these battles house a little bit of everything from points, combos, power ups and even extra lives. And I'll be the first to admit the geek in me had a bit of a squirt when the first loser of these battles burst into a shower of coins.

One of the most refreshing things of this movie isn't the gamer references. It's the fact that unlike most comedies like this Scott is no Mary Sue. You are not forced to like him at the start of the movie. In fact you might not, as I stated before that he first comes off as a douche bag. Scott is whiny, selfish and shallow. And you get a sense during the film that the 7 ex's are not there to help Scott prove himself but to instead beat the word "get over yourself" in his head. And really how many of us have NOT wanted to do that to Micheal Cera.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I've been neglectful to this thread but it will change. But no reviews today. I shouldn't even be on here right now at work, but I just found the trailer to the upcoming film. Battle: Los Angeles. AND OMFGGGGGGG I had to share it with you all.

Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 am

Ok so like I said I'm back, and I missed many movies. But sadly I will have to skip over them and get right to this weekend. This weekend featured 2 distinct movies, dealing with 2 very different problems. And they both seem only get it half right. (Well one of them.)

Skyline: 3/10

This is the one that doesn't get it half right. Or right at all. Yes, yes, it looks very pretty, but the movie falls into age old fail of lackluster characters, poor scripting, and wtf logic. I mean really Hollywood how many times are you going to make the same damn mistake? Is it really so hard to understand that what gives a movie its edge is when you develop characters we grow to like, love, or hate and put them in dire situations? Survival movies such as this seem to be extra guilty of this, you just blast past the characters normal lives right to the disaster. Except in this movies case they come in small doses, and they are only things you have already seen in the trailer. (Yes it's one of those movies where all the best parts of the movie is in the trailer.) Then the rest of them time you have characters we really don't give a shit about argue over whats the next thing to do, and at one point they are WATCHING whats happening on TV they are bystanders in their own movie!

What's that? It was directed by The Brothers Strause? The guys who gave us Aliens vs Predators: Requiem. Well then that explains everything.

Unstoppable: 7/10

This is the one that gets it half right. First off this isn't really an action per say, as much as it is a disaster movie. (You know the kinda movie where you have a bunch of people who may have never met before into a space and God decides, "fuck it VOLCANIC ERUPTION!) But it has the interest change of pace, in which this isn't a movie about the disaster but more a movie about trying to prevent one. Here's the synopsis from IMDB.

Unstoppable, a 20th Century Fox drama about a runaway train carrying a cargo of toxic chemicals. Pits an engineer and his conductor in a race against time. They're chasing the runaway train in a separate locomotive and need to bring it under control before it derails on a curve and causes a toxic spill that will decimate a town.

Or you we could just go with what Rosairo Dawson (Mmmmm....errrr back on topic Squall!) describes it. "We're not just talking about a train. We're talking about a MISSILE the size of the Chrysler Building." Yeahhhhh. It's one of those movies where the right script comes along with the right actors and it makes gold. (Not to mention any movies that portrays big businesses as the bad guys who care more about profits than human lives You know like real life. will always get the thumbs up from me.)

But as I said before it only gets it half right, why? Well it's not the director, who is Tony Scott. (Yes, brother of Ridley Scott and seriously look at their track record, how can two brothers be THAT good at directing.) As Miss Dawson showed it's not the script, and the movie doesn't stray too far from the well done disaster movie formula. So what could it be, I mean it stars Denzel Washington and...ohhh.

Ok folks, you all know that I liked the new Star Trek movie. (It was no Wrath of Kahn but hey I'm gonna take what I can get.) And though the casting was overall great, (Karl Urban and Simon Pegg I'm looking at you.) there was still one dark spot, as there is here. Chris Pine. No he's not a bad actor, but he's soooo fucking bland. I mean at least in Star Trek we had the pretty background of space and star ships to distract us from it, but back on earth the guy is a bag of rocks. (I'm quite certain her has only two facial expressions.)

So there you have it, if you want to watch something this week make sure it's Unstoppable. Orrrr just wait for next weekend when the new Harry Potter movie hits theaters. (Or as my wife would say "EEEEEEE". God help me I have another week of that.)
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 am

I might go see Unstoppable coming wednesday.
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1: 8/10

Well here we go. The beginning of the end. And what a ending it's shaping it up to be.

Now the last few Harry Potter movies to some have suffered from a bit of a lull to most people, and I think it is simply because since 3 none of them have had a real finality to them. They have all just been pieces to one larger puzzle. When really the average movie goer has failed to realize that every movie till this point has been simply parts to one of the longest and grandest movies ever to be put on film. Understand this, for more than 10 years 1 cast has made 8 movies about 1 story. Nothing in film has come close to this mega production.

Really it's unfair to judge each movie on its own when it should all be considered parts to the longest movie of all time. But we are human so judge we shall. However I will be watching every damn movie once I have them all on DVD for a super review of Harry Potter around this time next year. No I'm not crazy and yes I love movies this much. I've done it for the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and The Godfather. So you bet I'm gonna do it for this one.

Anyways, the excitement for this one is magnified because as mentioned before it the end. There is no more Hogwarts classes, no more lessons in magic. Everyone knows their shit, and everyone knows which side they are on. So one would think the studio would try to pack this whole final story into one 2 1/2 hour long action wizard fest. And luckily for the series they did not. No, instead of blowing by the fetch quest for the finale, the studio must have realized that even if they did make it two parts people would see the first anyways. As they should, because it may be the best part of the series so far.

In case you don't know, (don't know who wouldn't but anyways)Harry and co. are on a quest to search for and destroy the remaining object which houses Voldemort's key to immortality, along with magical sword to destroy said objects and 3 more pieces of magical fun. If that sounds like your standard adventure quest that you might find on the fantasy section of any book story or say a video game which features a princess and hero in green tights, then you are correct. But this movie pulls it off well. Not only well but great.

The movie is not bloated as once feared and if anything can be considered a breather before the mega smack down coming in part 2. This move understands that at this point in the film is a full helping of character driven depth. Unlike other ambitious action movies which try to stuff in character depth with pulse raising action at the same time, in a 2 hour span. It doesn't work. For example watch Matrix 2 again, if you can because I can't.

What's one of the most fun parts of the movie is revisiting old locations from movies past and seeing how damn eerie they look now under this new world. The whole film has a apocalyptic feel to is as our three heroes/heroine go through hell to try and find the final pieces of this films epic puzzle. In fact the whole film kinda reminds me of the movie Never Let Me Go. Except I didn't want to kill myself after watching it. Though the movie is in no way cheery.

A great beginning to the end, and if the final part can out do this one I would say that come mid 2012 we are going to hear the Harry Potter theme a plenty come the Academy Awards.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:51 am

Black Swan: 9/10

We got an Oscar winner here folks. Yes it's about a ballet but damn it stay with me here and read on.

For those of you who have not seen any previews or even heard of this movie allow me to educate. Black Swan is the latest movie by one brilliant director Darren Aronofsky (Responsible for other amazing films such as Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler.) And is a psychological horror (About a ballet! Mind is blown.) about a ballet companies production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. For those of you who don't know, (Which I'm going to guess is most of us here.) Swan Lake is well known for it's lead dancer having duel roles, that of the pure and virginal white swan and the other being the fiery lustful black swan.

Nina (Played by Natalie Portman, more late on her performance) is an obsessively ambitious ballerina who has just won the lead role. Her naive look on life and obsession with perfection make her the perfect White Swan, however as flawless as she is as the White she seems unable to comprehend and preform the role of the more erotically charged Black Swan. Enter Lily, (Played by Mila Kunis and again when the fuck did she learn to act? Because she does it well, very well. Like Oscar for best supporting role well.) a ballet greenhorn who effortlessly soaks in the craft all the while having no serious training or practice. She also has a much larger appetite than Nina for sex, drugs and junk food. A big no no in the ballet circle (which one is more so is left for you to decide) and the mirror opposite of Nina. So she of course lands the role of the Black Swan.

This....is when the fun begins. As the stress piles on from her own ambition, and those of her domineering overly protective mother, Nina's world begins to crack and unwind, complete with surreal visions, horrible nightmares, implied self-mutilations, creeping haunting, and really REALLY fucked up monsters. All of this leads up to the main question of the film. Just how much can one put into their art, without their art coming back and destroying them.

Natalie Portman as mentioned before is Nina and if she doesn't win Best Actress this year it'll be a crying shame because this film brings out all the potential she had in every last one of her films before. The slow deterioration of Nina's psyche is masterfully portrayed and is perhaps one THE best acting performances in the last decade, if not then at least this year. Hell every actor and actress in this movie brings one of their best performances to this film. Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey, and Winona Ryder all make cases for best support Oscars in this.

Added on to this, you have a brilliant, I mean fucking BRILLIANT score by Clint Mansell, which takes Swan Lake's original score and reworks it in the later acts as a twisted and broken image of itself. The music makes the 3rd act all the more jarring and the ending all the more satisfying. Every aspect of this movie just plain works and is a sure fire Oscar contender you just have to see.

Oh yeah and this.

I'm sorry guys, but this scene is just hot as hell. And you know what else, it's done fucking well. How so? Well when put in context of the film, that moment in the film carries a lot with it. It has very real meaning and symbolism in the plot and is a very important character scene. And I'm sorry but appreciating this moment in the film for all it's aesthetic beauty is in no way the same as objectifying. For an example of a film doing something like this the wrong way, please go watch Jennifer's Body. Go on I'll wait..................

Done? Ok good. (Horrible movie right?) Ok now watch Black Swan. I'll wait.................

See? Just because the scene is hot, it does not mean that the scene is any less potent or as with the rest of the film masterfully done.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:35 am

Warriors Way: 5/10

I had to work hard to give it that score. I mean it's a movie about cowboys AND ninjas. Any self respecting geek has to love it right? Well if that's the case I turn in my trek insignia pin, my replica Anduril sword, ect ect ect. (No I don't really have those but I'm proving my point shut up.)

Listen guys I wasn't coming into this movie expecting Unforgiven 2 here. I was going in expecting a wacky fun movie which would be a cult classic to hold above those who just don't realize how cool cowboys AND ninjas are. I came in looking for no more than a good time, but I didn't have one. I couldn't.

I've been hearing people toss around that it's "If Sergio Leone met Akira Kurosawa by way of Zack Snyder," and I'm here to call their bullshit. I mean come on Sergio Leone was the creator of the Man with No Name trilogy. The whole point of that entire thing was to show that Eastwoods character was as much of a son of a bitch as all the rest of the cut throat bastards in the world. He was just better at it, you could say he perfected the "hero is a villain" catch in movies. Akira Kurosawa was one of the BEST FILM MAKERS OF ALL TIME. You could teach an whole class on just his movies, hell some schools DO. And even after all that you STILL might miss some of the many little notches here and there that made the man a legend. Warrior's Way, does none of those two things and as for Zach Snyder....Well ok I'll give them that one. It very much looked like a Zach Snyder film. However, not as fun.

The actors all look like they are bored and phoning it in, a pay check movie if you will. I mean come on, Geoffrey Rush's potentially immortal line of "Ninjas.....damn" was cut from the film! It was...disappointing and in the end that's all this movie was a disappointment.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:14 pm

I have a Star Trek dress that I could turn in for you. =P

If the movie sucked so badly, why give it a five? A five to me is grade for a simply "okay" movie.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks but I'll pass. Though I wonder how it would look on Manda....Er anyways.

A 5 because it was very stylish. I'd be lying if I said it was a complete and horrible mess. (Say like The Spirit) It just was not a great or very fun film. I was kinda grading it kindly because well it's cowboys and ninjas damn it!

To explain, I see a 4-6 as an average movie romp. You know your gonna love it or hate it but no matter what your gonna forget about it in a week. 7-8 as quite a enjoyable that most should like which has a solid script acting and cinematic flare. 9 is a movie that is memorable with a above average script A game actors and a solid pace, pretty much a film shooting for the stars but with some minimum hitches here and there doesn't quite hit them. 10 is a movie I believe should be required viewing.

3 -1 is your Transformers 2 and Jennifer Body territory. 0 well run...just run.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

FOG Reviews the movies!! - Page 3 Empty Movie reviews.

Post by Lord Revan Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Merged from a similar topic -Axiom

Just like the title says. Review movies you have seen recently. Maybe help a fellow FoG member decide if they would like to see that movie.

I am going to see Captain America later tonight, so I will post my review when I get back.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Axiom Awaits Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm

For a long time I've had the idea bouncing around in my head to start a blog for movie reviews. I guess I just haven't had enough time (or motivation). I might try to get in on this at some point.
Axiom Awaits
Axiom Awaits
★ Administrator & FoG Father ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I am glad I was able to start a topic you were interested in Axiom. I felt that this was a good idea, and since it's part of my duties to start topics this was a good place to begin. I look forward to your input Axiom.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Axiom Awaits Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Hmm.. I thought maybe there was already a topic for this. It just fell down pretty far on the list.

http://www.footstepsofghosts.com/t1984p60-fog-reviews-the-movies
Axiom Awaits
Axiom Awaits

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next