FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A FOG Writing Contest - Ghost Stories *WINNER*

+14
The Melancholy Spirit
Kathryn Lacey
mysticaldragonmagic
Dio the Awesome
Reffy
MoiraofWords
Kalon Ordona II
Ragter the junior greeter
Ab'Sinthe
Hello Danger
Sunwolf007
Kædai
Sighlent
Fate Flyer
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

A FOG Writing Contest - Ghost Stories *WINNER* - Page 4 Empty Re: A FOG Writing Contest - Ghost Stories *WINNER*

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 pm

That's means we'll get it tomorrow. heheh

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

A FOG Writing Contest - Ghost Stories *WINNER* - Page 4 Empty Re: A FOG Writing Contest - Ghost Stories *WINNER*

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:30 am

By my count its the 14th so where is the announcement! [looks at watch and sees that it is 2:30 am]
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 am

Oh, you didn't hear? We're announcing the winner at 11:59:59.999999999 p.m. tonight.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:34 am

ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE NOTE:

If you would like to read a critique of your writing by Weiss, please say so, and he shall post it here publicly, so that all may benefit from his advice. If you would rather it not be public, then you simply will not get a critique of your story, at the request of Weiss. So, if you'd like to read a critique of your story here, please do say so!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Weiss wrote:Oh, you didn't hear? We're announcing the winner at 11:59:59.999999999 p.m. tonight.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Anyway I would like a critique of my story by all those judges willing to give me one. So whatever I have to do to get the critique let me know and I will accomplish it.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Sure, I would like a critique.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab'Sinthe Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:18 pm

I'd love to read the critique ^_^ But even more so.. read who won. Very Happy
Ab'Sinthe
Ab'Sinthe
Mist
Mist

Male

https://www.youtube.com/NoOoDLe666

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:26 pm

I'll take a critique, too.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:21 pm

WOOOP - critique please Very Happy

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:11 pm

I am among the masses who would like a critique. I always love to improve. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:35 pm

While you guys are the hollywood stars down below waiting for your Emmy. I'm the uncontrollable fan dancing in their pants behind you guys and sniffing your necks whenever possible. XD

I LOVE YOUUUUUU KATHRIIIIIIINE!

AND YOU'RE A SEXY BEAST SILVOOOOOOONE!

*eagerly awaits the announcement*

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:51 pm

You've misspelled my name. Some fan you are. ^o_~^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Wow that's just embarrassing. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 pm

An easy way to remember my name's spelling... sort of... is to think of it as two syllables. Syllables is spelled with a "y," and a "y" is in my name... So you can remember that it's pronounced kath-rin rather than kath-reen, so you don't place an "e" at the end.

Okay... that was probably super cheesy and dumb, but oh well. That's what I get for making it up on the spot...

Anyway, I'm beginning to get the feeling that Weiss was being completely serious when he said, "We're announcing the winner at 11:59:59.999999999 p.m. tonight." hahahahah

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Without any further adieu, we are at last ready to announce a winner!

While us judges can agree that there were more than just a couple of stories fighting for the number one spot, there can only be one winner to our contest. There was much discussion on who exactly that winner would be up until the last minute, but I believe we have at last settled on a decision.

The judges' pick for our Ghost Stories 2009 winner is...

Hello Danger for his story Loved to Death!!!

Congratulations, Hello Danger! We, the judges, felt that your story not only encompassed the theme quite well, but that the story itself was thrilling, and the delivery was excellent. There was a surprisingly amount of development that didn't all have to occur in a usual and obvious manner, and the somewhat open ending left the feeling of the entire story to be very effective. Very well done!

I will present you with your badge via PM very soon (most likely within the next day or two), and you are free to PM me with your art request whenever you like!

Well done, all of you! We all enjoyed reading your stories, and for those of you looking to get critiqued, you shall receive that shortly from Weiss and also possibly Kalon, so keep your eyes on this thread!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:42 pm

Congratulations, Danger! You totally deserved it! ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:02 am

Shocked

WOW! Thank you sooo much Fate, onenitedrive, Weiss, and Kalon! There were so many well written and amazing stories its an honor to win! After reading all the entries I knew it would be close, and clearly with the judging coming down to the deadline, it was! Again, I want to thank the judges, and also I want to thank all of the other writers, without you guys it wouldn't have been a contest!

Seriously, this is my first true short story I've EVER finished! I owe it to FOG - all its mods and members!

heart
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:37 am

Congrats, Hello Danger!!!!! Very Happy A FOG Writing Contest - Ghost Stories *WINNER* - Page 4 425660

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:44 am

Yay for Hello Danger! Congrats, man cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab'Sinthe Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:08 am

Congarats Danger! ^_^

Now where's my critique... Wink
Ab'Sinthe
Ab'Sinthe
Mist
Mist

Male

https://www.youtube.com/NoOoDLe666

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:22 am

Congrats again, Danger! Clap I'm very happy for you. Aww

I will let Weiss (and Kalon, if he is critiquing also) post their own critiques for all of you guys here, so I'm sure they will be up very shortly.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Congratulations!
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Congrats Hello Danger.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks everyone! Very Happy
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:33 am

First, congratulations to Hello Danger! We had a number of excellent entries, so I congratulate you all on your hard work come to fruition. I enjoyed reading through each story, and I can honestly say that I was surprised at the diversity between each of their central themes. Thank you all for participating!

That said, keep the following in mind:
Do not be offended or discouraged by my critiques. I have a tendency to notice flaws more quickly than I notice the positive elements of anything. As such, I may have inadvertently focused more on the flaws of each piece than on the good points. My critiques are accurate insofar as my opinion is concerned, but they may not reflect every single up or down that ultimately influenced my decisions.

Kathryn Lacey
Spoiler:
Reffy
Spoiler:
Ab'Sinthe
Spoiler:
Hello Danger
Spoiler:
Silvone Elestahr
Spoiler:
Sunwolf007
Spoiler:

If you'd like to discuss my critiques, or if you want me to expand on a particular point, please feel free to request it of me. However, keep in mind that the judgments are final, so from here on, everything should be for learning purposes only.

That said, I also do not intend to come across as the end-all when it comes to opinionated critiquing. I am only judging by my own criterion, so please remember that others may have a different opinion than I do about this or that aspect of your story. When it comes right down to it, my ratings are based on my opinion, and will not change because of anyone's opinion but my own. Please keep that in mind.

As a final point, since this caused a bit of confusion during the judging process, I'd like to point out the way that I scored each piece. You may notice, looking through them, that I graded each one based on a fundamental criteria. I took the important elements of a story and turned them into a grading sheet, then filled out said sheet based on my opinion of how well the story performed in each category. Afterward, I took a cumulative score of both categories.

The Cumulative Score is how well I feel you did based only on that criteria. In other words, it's my opinion of how well-written the story was. The Final Score, located at the end of each critique, is the Cumulative Score rounded up or down based on how much the story appealed to me. If it greatly appealed to me, it was rounded up. If it didn't particularly appeal to me, it was rounded down.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadman - D17 Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:00 am

Oh... cheers Congrats Danger!! A little delayed but.. yeah XD

If it's possible, could I also have a review of my story? Smile?
Deadman - D17
Deadman - D17
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Thank you, Weiss Smile Hoping to see KO's notes too Smile

I put this story forwards to the AWR-lot and got pretty much the same notes. They liked the idea and the fact I was experimenting but the execution was a little crap. Switching tenses, felt like they were reading instructions to building a bookcase, the future tense doesn't allow for immersion or feeling to be provoked as a normal story might - etc.

I disagree with the ghosts comment - but it is your opinion and I ain't here to try and change that. Admittedly the story wasn't solely about the ghosts, so you are right there I suppose Smile I still like the way the ghosts were described and thought it was very poetical. Smile

I am glad that you got a little spooked and definitely got the cliffhanger thing Very Happy

Thank you for sharing the notes. Flirt

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Congratulations Hello Danger!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:16 pm

The Underground ~ by Reffy
~ Critique by Kalon Ordona II ~
Spoiler:

Anima 0027 ~ by Kathryn Lacey
~ Critique by Kalon Ordona II ~
Spoiler:

More coming soon! Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Ugh... You know... I know the difference between ally and alley. It must have simply been a typo that I missed despite my proofreading. I am only human after all. hahahah

{EDIT}
I also want to add that it was already said that it didn't have to be a traditional ghost story in the sense of spookiness and such. We were told it only had to have ghosts in it.

Fate Foretold wrote:The theme of this contest, in relation to the upcoming Halloween holiday, is ghosts. Other horrific, supernatural, and paranormal ideas are also welcome, though ghosts and spirits must be included in some way.

Fate Foretold wrote:Nope, there is no specific genre in place, though horror would fit the bill easiest, but you could still write an action-packed ghostly tale or one more like a mystery or a drama, etc. You're also welcome to submit a past written work, so long as it fits the requirements.
{/EDIT}

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next