FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alice In Wonderland Movie

+9
Gadreille
Cypher
Shekinah
Kathryn Lacey
Sighlent
Dio the Awesome
Lara
Twoface_ecafowT
Inerio
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Alice In Wonderland Movie - Page 2 Empty Re: Alice In Wonderland Movie

Post by Sighlent Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Do NOT let one person's opinion damper anything you guys ever think. As far as I'm concerned The Looking Glass Wars is no where near boring if you have somewhat an inkling of an imagination ((not saying you don't Cypher just saying that the book has lots of detail)). The plot line is a strong one with admirable characters however I'm not saying that the book isn't flawed. The timing does elapse rather quickly for Alice Liddell ((AKA Alyss Heart)) while she is with the Liddell family. But as for the gore being PG, it IS a children's book. Or rather it is meant for teens rather than an adult. If you want something that is literally going to cripple you then go read a book on torture or something.

However I stand by my statement when I say that I love these books! It's thinking OUTSIDE of the box! And Cypher but the reason why the movie reminds you so much of this setting is because Lewis Carroll's 'Through the Looking Glass' is predominantly ABOUT the Red Queen's chess game battle with the White Queen...which is what the movie is about rather than the original Alice like everyone seems to believe. If you find the 'Looking Glass Wars' trilogy boring, then I hardly doubt however you read the originals by Carroll.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 pm

If I ever have nothing to read, I will probably go pick these up...but I need to read the originals first. I am not a woman of means, and so it will probably be a while before I go out and buy all of these books. Or...I can ask for them as a birthday gift...but that is a ways off Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 pm

I do know that you can go to Barnes and Noble and buy like the collectors edition leather bound version of the original books by Carroll for like $20 with both stories being in one book(I have the leather bound version of Wicked and Son of a Witch and it's really nice), and then I bought the paper back of 'The Looking Glass Wars' and 'Seeing Redd' which were equally $10 a piece I do believe. I can't really recall I just swiped the card. XD
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 pm

I have a horrible habit of doing that as well...I swear I spend more money in a bookstore than anywhere else...

I've had to cut back on buying books because a. I'm poor and b. I live in very cramped quarters with not a lot of room for books (which I don't get rid of...) but, recently we cleaned out some of our storage and made room, so I think when my tax rebate comes in I may buy myself these. It's either that or get my hair done (and goodness, it needs to be done!)
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:18 pm

What has two thumbs and is going to the midnight release?

*Points thumbs as self*

This guy! Very Happy
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 pm

*glares in envy*

I have a paper to write today, there is no way I'll make it. Oh...and a baby to take care of Razz

Last edited by Ryona Noel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychotic Flesh Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:42 pm

I think I am possibly the only person who isn't even remotely excited about this film. By no means am I slating Alice In Wonderland, or Burton, I'd like to make that clear. Alice In Wonderland is a book I first read as a young child in primary school, and I still love the story to this day.

As for Burton, I think he is overrated. I like him, personally I think Edward Scissorhands is his best work, but it really annoys me that some of his fans feel that he can do no wrong. For example, his adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was just plain awful in my eyes, and yet it was praised. For me, if anyone else had made it, it wouldn't have been rated so highly.

Maybe it's just me, but the hype surrounding him does bother me.

Anyway, back onto Alice In Wonderland. I've seen the trailer and while it did annoy me, I do like the look of the Cheshire Cat. He's probably my favourite character in the story, he has some classic lines, so I'm pleased that it looks like Burton hasn't messed with him too much.
I am seeing the film; I've promised a friend I would see it with her, and I'm not one of those people who will deliberately hate it just because I said it didn't look very good. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, so maybe I'll end up liking it, who knows.

I hope none of that came across harshly. I've read the thread, and there are a lot of Burton/Depp fans in here who might read what I said as some sort of insult. I'm not hating on either male at all, I'm just not excited about this film.

Also, Kudos to Loki for the Dr. Kelso reference.
Psychotic Flesh
Psychotic Flesh
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 am

I love Burton, and I don't really know or care if he is overrated because I love his style. Truthfully, it just doesn't matter to me if he were famous or known as a crap director (I know this is true because I stand by M. Night even through his flops...I may not have enjoyed all of his movies but for the most part I love his style).

However, I hated the old and current Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and no amount of Burton would ever change that (I did like the part where Christopher Lee plays Wonka's father, reminded me of my own...no candy, horrible braces...etc. Lol!) I was also severely disappointed in 9. I am not sure why...it just didn't fulfill my expectations.

Mostly I try not to judge a movie on who is in it or who made it, but sometimes it is hard to do. It's good you are going to see it. It's just as important not to hate a movie for it's director as it is not to love a movie for its director.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Attie Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 am

Kathryn Lacey wrote:First of all, tNBC only had Danny Elfman and Tim Burton. Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp were not involved. Second, Elfman does the musical score for a lot more movies that Tim Burton does. Third, Burton and Carter aren't married officially, unless something has changed. They just live together, have children together, and make movies together- Oh, and they probably still do the horizontal mambo.

I'm sure, for conversation's sake, and to put the four together, they only meant to add Elfman in the group to make it an epic, grand ole time if they formed a quartet of some sort in a movie. Elfman being recognized for his musical scores, darlin'. - And of course Carter and Depp weren't involved, but they are much more recently, also the reason they said anything about making the four characters (if you put Burton into the mix), a masterpiece of sorts. -And despite their lack of legal documentation, they are indeed not married, but have been engaged since 2001, with 2 children. So, to assume marriage wasn't correct, but it did no harm whatsoever for the person to say so, as they weren't far off. ;]

Just sayin'. It was kind of unnecessary and sounded a bit harsh for a "Alice and Wonderland" thread. >.>

As for Alice and Wonderland, despite everything that has been said, good and bad, I am not particularly excited for it. I am a fan of Burton's work, of course, and the lovely Carter, and rather mental Depp, and I think the trio will do fantastically if they even put in the slightest effort together, but... When I found out it was Disney, I just felt from excitement to disappointment.

Disney has a way of making things that could be creepy, and well done creepy and thrilling, just.. Childish. Yes, I know, it is Disney, but.. Even with Pirates of the Caribbean, where it was supposedly PG13 by the end, or something to that effect, they tried to make it more appealing to the teen aged crowd, whilst keeping it PG for Disney standards. I think that ruined some good parts, because they couldn't cross that invisible line. It just threw me off, really.

I'm worried that, with what I know Burton can do, as he's done it with Sweeney (tastefully) and Sleepy Hollow (tastefully) for examples, he could do a great deal with this movie in that field, but.. That Disney will hold it back, keeping it for the little ones.. And with a movie that looks like it is in the previews, I think they should just cross that line because my little sister has already gotten the shivers over just seeing the trailer.

Then, on another note, there's also the Looking Glass Wars that are, indeed, in production, and I already saw a preview for it when I watched a movie recently at the theater. I fear those are going to clash horribly, coming out in the same year (unless they change the dates).

But, being Burton, I will most likely attend some time and see if it exceeds my expectations. I hope it does.
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:15 pm

As mentioned above, I went to the midnight release last night. My expectations weren't really high to begin with (which is the point for most movie 'remakes'), even though I am a huge fan of most of Tim Burton's work. Nightmare Before Christmas has always been one of my favorite movies.

Anyways, the movie itself only had vague ties with its animated predecessor.
Spoiler:

I wouldn't say this movie was some of his best work, but I did find it entertaining and worth the money spent for the ticket.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Daandae Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Hello everyone! I'm very new here, but I just thought that I'd add my two cents about this movie. I'm going to be seeing it tomorrow in IMAX 3D with my family and I can't wait. I watched the live webcast of the premiere and was pleasantly stunned that it is more of a sequel and not so much the original story of Alice and her original adventures in Wonderland. I think this will make things a little bit more interesting when she revisits the world to find her true self.
Daandae
Daandae
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://www.lovelyshinigami.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:38 pm

I thought the movie was pretty good. I was annoyed at the White Queen's mannerisms but I liked the rest overall. A surprising visit by Christopher Lee and...erm...that Snape fella lol.

I was worried about the Red Queen because of the odd choice of graphic manipulation, but her acting was so spot on, and the size of her head was so well adapted into the storyline that I was hardly bothered with it.

I also thought the hatter was a bit overdone, but I guess it isn't a big deal.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Daandae Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:25 pm

I watched the premiere on live webcast and Anne Hathaway's quote was "The dress was so tight, the corset restricted my movement so much that once I stopped fighting the dress I was able to move." So she held her arms up and seemingly drifted because she couldn't really bend any more than that. My boyfriend and would totally agree though that this was probably Helena Bonham Carter's BEST role. She was perfect for the part and hopefully that reflects on next year's Oscars. "Where are my Fat boys?! FAT BOYS!"
Daandae
Daandae
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://www.lovelyshinigami.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 am

Lol yea, she was really perfect for the role.

This isn't really a spoiler, but I just want to be careful for those who haven't seen it.

Spoiler:
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:17 am

Hey I have a question, did you guys see it in 3D or just regular and which would be better cause I wanna go and see it today. XD
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 pm

I saw it in 3D, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't cheesy overplayed 3D, and it didn't give me a headache like 3D usually does.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:47 pm

I really enjoyed it, though I can't decide if my favorite character was the Mad Hare or the Chesire Cat. They were both awesome!

"...spoon!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Attie Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I didn't like it at all. I was impressed at first, and began to enjoy it...

The following is a spoiler. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want it to be ruined, then don't read the following!
Spoiler:

Alas. It wasn't TERRIBLE... I'd give it 3 / 5 stars...But.. I wouldn't see it twice, nor would I buy it. ;/
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:40 pm

I STILL haven't seen it.

But that's what happens when you're husband is gone and you have no friends otherwise. :S
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:39 am

Attie wrote:I didn't like it at all. I was impressed at first, and began to enjoy it...

The following is a spoiler. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want it to be ruined, then don't read the following!
Spoiler:

Alas. It wasn't TERRIBLE... I'd give it 3 / 5 stars...But.. I wouldn't see it twice, nor would I buy it. ;/

Spoiler:
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2