FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers))

4 posters

Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers)) Empty Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers))

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:45 am

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the casual role play thing, so I posted it here. It can always be moved after all.

Anyway, this is for the discussion of the role play about which Gunneh and I were speaking.

I already know if we start this thing, I already have a character who is a female waterbender.

Anyway, what time period do we want this to be? What should the plot be? How are we going to bring everyone together?

As far as time periods go, I thought this should either begin before the war, shortly after the end of the war, or long after the war is over. What about you guys?

I have no ideas for plots or togetherness.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Plot Ideas

1. Ozai gathers a following and breaks out of the Boiling Rock. Zuko- and possibly Aang- lead(s) a team against him.

((More ideas welcome.))

Last edited by Kathryn Lacey on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers)) Empty Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers))

Post by Gunneh Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:18 am

I think that the two options that would be most interesting would be before Sozin used the comet to wipe out the Air Nomads or long after the war ends. Of course, it could be said that the latter would be the easiest, because then we could have a mixture of canon characters/children of canon characters PLUS the opportunity to easily integrate our own original characters.

Sample plot that pops into my head: After Zuko becomes the Fire Lord, Ozai and his generals are locked away in Burning Rock. They become the most heavily guarded prisoners in the prison, but Ozai still, somehow, manages to amass a group of followers who feel that he was betrayed and deserves to be returned to his rightful place as the Phoenix King.

With the help of his followers, the groups escapes from Burning Rock and go on a mission to take back the throne from Zuko and get the Avatar (whether it be Aang or a new Avatar...would it be a Water Bender this go around?) to relieve Ozai of the "curse" that Aang put upon him in their final battle.

Our characters could be an elite group formed by Zuko and the Avatar (again, whether it be Aang or another) made up of all four nations that are sent to stop Ozai before he can build an army large enough to pose an actual threat.

Wow...I didn't know that would flow so well out of my head XD

EDIT

I guess it would have to be Aang, seeing as how the new Avatar would be an infant if this actually happened XD
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers)) Empty Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender ((Major Series Spoilers))

Post by Lara Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:37 am

Tying into the idea of a new avatar, whatever group ended up being formed could have to find the infant avatar and protect it while going after Ozai... -random thought after reading that-

It'd end up being a 'race to the poles' sort of thing, if it would be a water bender, and then they'd have to take a guess at which pole it'd end up being at...
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:43 pm

I like that idea a lot, however, that's considered shortly after the war in my opinion. When I meant long after the war, I meant so far along that all the canons are probably dead, and the four nations are all rebuilt. If Ozai's still alive ((he was forty-three during the course of the series) then it probably couldn't be any more than two and a half decades since he was defeated that this plot could occur because he would be in his seventies otherwise, and I doubt very strongly that he would be very strong because of his aging body and the fact that he only ever learned how to fight with bending which he no longer has.

Sure, he could have learned in prison, but I doubt the numerous guards would allow him to learn much, you know? It would be bad if he escaped just because they were stupid enough to teach him how to fight hand to hand. Plus, it would be harder for an old weak man to gain a following.

I also really hate to dissect this because it's a cool plot, but Ozai ruled by fear just like Azula. How could he possibly gain a following without his firebending? He was a master firebender, but he just became a weak, angry man after Aang took it away from him. Who would follow him?

If we use this, I say we have it set five to fifteen years after the end of the series. Zuko would be anywhere from twenty-one to thirty-one in that event. Aang would be anywhere from seventeen to twenty-seven. Also, I think it would be cool if the Dai Li were also imprisoned in the Boiling Rock for their part in the war. They could have contact with Ozai, too, and it would just add an extra element. Either that, or after Ozai escapes, he comes into contact with the Dai Li or helps them escape their own rock-free metal prisons.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Okay, first off regarding age; Avatar Kioshi lived to be 230. Bumi is at least 110 and kicking. Life spans in Avatar are likely to be longer than our own.

As far as after the war, the idea of Ozai instigating another war seems quite likely. It wouldn't be like the Fire Nation just flipped a switch and went to Peace-Love-Kittens mode without fights breaking out. Azula would be involved somehow as well I would think.

If there's still a slot open, I'd like to join.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Avatar Kyoshi was an Avatar, and Bumi is an exception. If you really look at the ages, you'll see that the majority of them don't live that long, and most who do aren't very agile or anything. Gran Gran Kanna is eighty, and she encompasses the typical way the majority of the people in the Avatar world age.

You may have forgotten, but Azula went so bat-shit crazy that she was a completely horrible fighter after that. If she is in this role play, it shouldn't be for long. I don't think Ozai would use her as an asset now that she's not the same as before their defeat. I think it would be nice to have her make an appearance, though.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:38 pm

I don't know.... Yes, she went bat-shit crazy, pretty much turned into a wild dog.

But if you remember, the Joker was also a wild dog.

I think that if a particularly powerful person, perhaps someone that was behind Sozin, Azulon, and Ozai, were to step in and give her a direction to run in, Azula would be monsterous. Lightning normally requires zen-like peace and emotional calm. Azula was effin' nuts and she still shot lightning out with minimal effort.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:00 pm

The Joker still had enough sanity to know how to calculate his moves. Azula pretty much became a firework... However, I could see that with a bit of direction she may be able to be a deadly weapon... but I still have a hard time visualizing her as the asset she once was. Her mind is broken.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Hmm, a humble suggestion.

The Book of Air:

Reign of the Black Lotus.

Excerpt from the diary of Zuko:

My name is Zuko. Once I was known as an outcast prince, and then Lord of the Fire Nation, but now I am an enemy of the one nation, worse than a traitor to my own people, but a terrorist, and leader of the dreaded Blue Demon clan. Even as I write this, I know that it is more than likely futile. Anyone who would truly care about my story now is gone, and those that remain do not know the truth that I know. For any who may read this beyond my passing, know that the rumors are true.

The Avatar is dead.

The line is broken.

And in no small way, I am to blame for all of this happening.

The happiest time of my life I can remember was on the day of my coronation, with my friends at my side. It is also the most bitter, for I realize now that I was still too arrogant to truly fulfill any of the wishes that Uncle Iroh had left with me. Though I was and still am one of the most proficient fire benders alive, though I was a hero who had lead the Avatar to victory over my father, I had no idea how to lead even a small group of people, much less be able to govern an entire nation of people. I did not realize it that day, but it would be the start of the downfall of not only the fire nation, but of all of the different tribes of the planet.

Not knowing how to lead, I leaned heavily upon my advisors to tell me how to govern the people. An outcast for several years, the lessons that my sister, Azula learned, I was not privy to. I had the most basic knowledge of what to do, but I did not have the prowess to manipulate the people in power, nor did I truly recognize how deep rooted their resentment for the outcast prince had been. Looking back on it now, with how easily my father ruled when he was the Fire Lord, I should have suspected. That... was my first mistake, as I would later discover.

My second was foolishly following my heart where it lead me. After the fall of the old regime and the beginning of my own, Mae stood by my side. She was the first girl who had ever shown a real interest in me, she was attractive, and sometimes we got along rather well. But as time went further and further on I realized that the feelings that I had for her were barely those of attraction, not of love, nor anything that would last. While I would speak kindly to her I found myself more and more reflecting on the feelings I had for another, until it became a dark thing inside of me that began to gnaw at me as my hatred towards the Avatar used to do when I had been an outcast.

Eventually, when I could stand the dull ache I felt in my chest no longer, I ended things with Mai, and went into seclusion. Rumors spread like wildfire that I had fallen for another of my traveling companions, rumors that I did not have my advisors deny, for they were true, after a fashion. That was my third great mistake. Meanwhile, the prosperity that the fire nation had known when it was at war began to dwindle once peace had settled in, and our claim over the colonies began to lessen.

Foolishly focusing on my own inner desires, I didn't notice that my advisors were keeping me less and less in the loop of the nations activities, while secretly they met behind my back for war meetings. A coup was brewing, and I was too blind to see it. At the heart of it was the one man they had learned to trust, and even robbed of his powers, the man that they respected, my father, Ozai. Under his guidance they began to formulate a plan to usurp power from me and lead the land into a new age of prosperity. Soon their conspiracy spread to other nations. Needless to say that it wasn't just the fire nation who had dissenters, people who believed that the current leaders were not leading them properly.

The most powerful benders from each of the tribes in their group formed the Order of the Black Lotus, the antithesis to the group that had helped bring about the end of Ozai's reign, and due to his influence he was named the head of their group, despite his lack of abilities. With each meeting their power grew, and with their help, Ozai figured he'd finally found a way to remove the one last thing in his path, the one thing that had managed to stop him from destroying the planet the first time.

Aang.

When I heard Katara was coming, I found myself elated and for the first time managed to get myself out of the meloncholy that had stricken me for so many months. Had I known then the future, I would have done everything in my power to prevent it. As Katara and Aang ascended the steps towards the royal palace, they were attacked by Azula. When I saw her fire bending, I knew instantly what was happening, but even as I tried to stop her, my own advisors surrounded me and turned on me en mass. They had us out numbered by at least 5 to 1.

Over the heads of my attackers I could see Aang battling Azula, if it could be called that. It was a brutal, quick thing, and he had her yeilding not more than a few moments after she'd started bending. I remember vividly yelling for Aang to kill her, advice I knew he would not take, but neither he nor I knew the terrible price his pacifism would cost us, and the world.

The next 2 minutes I have played over and over again in my head until it has tattoed itself so thoroughly on my mind there are nights when I cannot sleep, but rather dream of it over and over again.

Azula begins to bend, I scream out another warning, but my advisors swarm in on me... And then I see it. A bolt of lightning flies from Azula's hand, and strikes down the woman I love. Brown hair flutters outward as the water bender falls to the ground, and fire errupts around me. I don't even see it, nor do I pay attention. I've murdered my closest advisors, but I don't care. I step over their charred remains, not feeling the cuts their scortched ribs leave on my feet, and like mad Azula, I burn everything in my path to get to her side...

Cradling her in my arms, I do everything I can to revive her, but Katara had been bending water when the bolt hit her... I can feel it soaking into my clothes as I lay against the ground. She's dead, there's nothing I can do.

I look up, and see Aang in his glory, his tattoos glowing with the fury of the Avatar, the knowledge of the lineage as old as time flowing through him, and then I see a sword, black and cruel errupt from his chest as Ozai impales him with a fury I had never seen in him before. I feel numb as I realize my last mistake, that in the heat of that moment, I went to the remains of the one I loved, instead of guarding the Avatar's back... and I recall that Aang told me once that if he were ever killed when he was in the Avatar state, the line would be broken forever.

I see Ozai roar with victory as Azula rises from the ground, and realize I have to escape.

Ozai didn't even try to stop me. That night I held Katara in my arms, praying for some miracle from the heavens that would revive her. Trying to use my ability to bend to find any flicker of life inside of her. In the morning, I finally come to my senses and bury her beneath a cherry tree. And I run.

Ozai's coup worked perfectly, and in my abscence, a no name puppet Fire Lord assumes the throne. Ozai expected, I imagine, that I would be an easy mark to catch on the run. But what he didn't realize was that his banishment of me in the past taught me more than a few tricks about how to live around the world unnoticed. Under the name Lee I vanish into the earth nation, hoping to find a way to contact the white lotus.

But while Ozai underestimated me, I underestimated him as well. I waited, expecting to see his ships heading towards either the earth or water tribes. Little did I realize the true horror of his plan. Rather than try to directly attack the nations that he once fought with such a vengeance, the Black Lotus assassinated the heads of the remaining tribes, and installed their own governers.

Under the guise of peace they united the nations into the Great Empire, a 'coalition' run by the heads of each state. In reality, it is the Black Lotus which controls them all from the shadows. I was officially branded a terrorist and murderer by my own people, who were lead to believe that I went mad and killed my own advisors without provocation. 'Zuko' suddenly had become the greatest threat to world peace, and I became unable to show my face in public at all, even under a psuedonym.

It has been two years since then, and I am still running. I do not know what became of the friends I used to have. As time went on, I began to find amongst the populace people who suspected the truth... people who would join my cause. We are the 'Outcasts', a rogue group of people who are secretly cheered by some of the people, and viciously hunted by others...

But even more amazing, in the heart of the earth nation I found something I never suspected to see again. Air Benders.

I do not know if it is simply fate that there be each of the elements represented at one time, which some of the Outsiders believe, but I have my own theory about it. While the benders are the most prominant of any society, there were, before the Fire Nation started the war, peace, and relations between the tribes. I am almost certain that in that intermingling there was probably a marriage or two... could it be that the ability to bend air was latently passed down through the generations, only to emerge now at a time when the world needs them the most?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 pm

I actually seriously love this idea. It's awesome. Hopefully others will like it, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am

I like it a lot as well. It's awful that Aang and Katara die in it, but I really do like it, and it explains pretty much all the ideas that people have come up with so far. Good job!
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 am

I like the dark nature of it, but I'm not so sure I like the thought of breaking the Avatar cycle. Killing Aang, I can easily accept. Breaking the Cycle.... I'm a little uneasy at the thought.

Black Lotus though.... Wicked idea. Again though, the problem I see with it would be the Water Tribes. The Earth Kingdom would roll right up into that kind of idea; The Water Tribes though, not so much.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:08 am

Ehoron,

I think breaking the cycle is a good idea for a couple of reasons:

1. The mood it sets. There is a sense of hopelessness or self sufficiency that goes with it. It's not like there's ever going to be a savior of the world again, the world has to save and govern itself...

2. More importantly, the Avatar represents way too much concentrated power. Even if the avatar was NPC-ed, by definition, both sides would be after him/her, because the avatar in the series is a complete game changer. If Zuko's group didn't know where the avatar was and the cycle wasn't broken, then they'd be looking for the avatar in the hopes of someday using him/her to whip it out and overthrow the current regime. Likewise, the current regime would either be looking to kill the avatar or find him/her in order to corrupt them. In both cases, the Avatar becomes the center of the plotline, and I kind of wanted to open it up for the characters in the rp.

As for the water tribe, I think that given the right set of circumstances, if their leader said they wanted to make peace with all of the other nations and join forces for it, I don't think that they'd be so opposed to it. Remember, the tribe was willing to work hand in hand with the other tribes to defeat Ozai. In the series there's an underlying sense of unity towards the end of the series... it's just that the black lotus polluted said unity for their own benefit Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:41 am

I agree. In the introduction, it was written that the Nations were all united, but they didn't realize it was under a corrupt regime. "Under the guise of peace they united the nations into the Great Empire, a 'coalition' run by the heads of each state. In reality, it is the Black Lotus which controls them all from the shadows." I think it works perfectly.

Also, I really like the idea that there isn't going to be a super powerful hero to save them all. I think that's just too much for the plot. It would make overthrowing the Black Lotus too easy, too.

Another thought I had is that we should only have a group of five people. One for each element of bending, and one person who can't bend. It would be very similar to the way the group was at the end of Book Three: Fire, but it's a great idea. It would be possible to have more than just five characters, but only having five people in the game- one with each character- would make it less likely to die, and it would be a lot easier to keep track of the posts and such.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:52 pm

After thinking on it, I can see why you would break the Cycle. However, I found one small problem with killing Aang. After the events of Sozin's Comet, Aang became a fully realized Avatar. At that point, Avatars enter the Avatar State only long enough to acquire what knowledge they need for a task before letting go.

Along with that, when people found out that the Avatar line was broken, a vast majority would cow to the curtain rule of the Black Lotus. People need hope to live; they need hope to resist that which they hate.

To me, this Resistance doesn't sound like one to sit around for 20+ years while the new Avatar gets up to speed. Yes, the Avatar is a very powerful bender, but there are others who are just as talented who would want to see things change.

If Aang was killed, and set on to the next Avatar, finding the Avatar would be a priority for some, but a child of a few weeks is hardly plot worthy. Besides that, the Resistance would want to find the child, hit it away, and never speak of the child again.

One last note; The Avatar is the spirit of the world in human form, a person who has the sole duty keeping balance in the world between the Four Nations. If the Avatar line were to break, the world would likely fall to pieces shortly there after.

And if we're going with Kathryn's idea of 5-man group with one person from each Bending discipline and one non-bender, I've got a Fire Bender in mind to use.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Ehoron wrote:After thinking on it, I can see why you would break the Cycle. However, I found one small problem with killing Aang. After the events of Sozin's Comet, Aang became a fully realized Avatar. At that point, Avatars enter the Avatar State only long enough to acquire what knowledge they need for a task before letting go.

I guess it's up for debate. But I imagine Aang watching Katara shot down right before his eyes would make him freak out and enter the Avatar state, even being a fullt realized avatar. Also, I'm pretty sure your statement about them only entering it long enough to acquire knowledge is wrong given that he seemed to be in the avatar state for several minutes while he was beating the ever loving shiat out of Ozin.

Ehoron wrote:Along with that, when people found out that the Avatar line was broken, a vast majority would cow to the curtain rule of the Black Lotus. People need hope to live; they need hope to resist that which they hate.

Right, but the people probably don't know. In fact I'd wager that the Black Lotus is probably better at spending propoganda then most political groups today.

Ehoron wrote:To me, this Resistance doesn't sound like one to sit around for 20+ years while the new Avatar gets up to speed. Yes, the Avatar is a very powerful bender, but there are others who are just as talented who would want to see things change.

If Aang was killed, and set on to the next Avatar, finding the Avatar would be a priority for some, but a child of a few weeks is hardly plot worthy. Besides that, the Resistance would want to find the child, hit it away, and never speak of the child again.[/quote]

And to me, the Avatar is like the Queen on a chess board. Sure, you can win without it, but ultimately if there's just one, you want it to be yours. Even if they tried to overthrow the current regime with what they had, wouldn't it sort of be a good idea to spend your efforts to try to keep that from falling into the hands of the enemy and being corrupted? The way I see it, a fully realized Avatar would make either side win almost assuredly, and thus if either side had their hands on him, even as a child, it'd be worth expending almost all your available forces to get him.

Ehoron wrote:One last note; The Avatar is the spirit of the world in human form, a person who has the sole duty keeping balance in the world between the Four Nations. If the Avatar line were to break, the world would likely fall to pieces shortly there after.

I'm going to say that you're wrong on this point. I don't really remember them saying that the Avatar was the spirit of the world at all, but I guess they might have. I'd assume they meant it metaphorically. If you try to argue that they meant it literally, think on it logically:

When the spirit of the moon's life was in danger, the moon turned red and the world started to go wonky and turn to shit, clearly indicating some tie between it and the world.

However, when Aang was struck down by lightning.... no world going crazy, no black and white planet, no blood spilling from the land itself. Seems kinda inconsistent...

Ehoron wrote:And if we're going with Kathryn's idea of 5-man group with one person from each Bending discipline and one non-bender, I've got a Fire Bender in mind to use.

Haha, as do I (as I wrote for him in the idear). I'll leave the rules fine print to Kathryn though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 pm

And to me, the Avatar is like the Queen on a chess board. Sure, you can win without it, but ultimately if there's just one, you want it to be yours. Even if they tried to overthrow the current regime with what they had, wouldn't it sort of be a good idea to spend your efforts to try to keep that from falling into the hands of the enemy and being corrupted? The way I see it, a fully realized Avatar would make either side win almost assuredly, and thus if either side had their hands on him, even as a child, it'd be worth expending almost all your available forces to get him.

I must confess that your argument here has me a little confused. Is it assuming that Aang lives or that the story would take place when the New Avatar was of age? It seems a little unclear to me.

The thing with the Avatar is that they keep the balance of the world. Without them, there is nothing to keep that balance. Aang was only down for a few minutes before Katara healed him with the Spirit Oasis water.

Since the big part of this is your idea, I can bow out of the Firebender slot and take the Earthbending or No Bending slot. I've got too many Avatar characters for my own good.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:56 pm

I'll take Earthbending, if that's alright. I think I've got a good idea for a character....

So all we really need is an Airbender and the No-bender XD Also: Are we limiting the characters to just that element, or are they going to be able to do some of the other bending? Like...the Waterbender being able to Bloodbend, the Earthbender being able to Sandbend...stuff like that. Or would Sandbending be more along the Airbenders line...I dunno.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Alright, so I'll take the No-Bender.

As far as the ot her stuff goes, Hama's the only one we've seen who had the anger and time to experiment and think about how things work. So as far as Bloodbending goes, I'd have to vote 'no'.

Sandbenders exist, and are a subset of Earth Benders. An Earth Bender with a lot of practice could get some basic Sandbending skills. However, Metalbending is pretty much restricted to those who have a Neutral Jing mindset and have Tremor Sense, like Toph. So Metalbending gets my vote of 'no' as well.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 pm

But Toph taught Aang the tremor sense (I'm guessing), and I was thinking on making a character that studied under Toph, so wouldn't that be feasible then?
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:15 pm

That really depends on the timeline. Toph was 12 or 13 at the end of the series. Even 15 years later [I believe that was the max range we were shooting for] She would only be 27 or 28.

Beyond that, Tremor Sense would be a hard thing to learn. Aang did because he had the Chosen One gig going for him. Most people rely heavily on sight. It would be particularly diffifcult for a guy with sight to pick up Tremor Sense after a few weeks.

But my opinion about Metal Bendingis that it's a Master-level feat, and a high one at that. Metal has, depending on the refining process little earth left in it to bend. Tremor Sense would help you see it, but it would still take a lot of time and practice just to get a basic Bend-a-bar trick.

Just my opinion.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Ehoron, I was talking about either Aang or another avatar. Their importance would be utmost at any age, I imagine. Look how much effort was spent into finding one throughout the series.

I see your point about the oasis water, but, recall that the moon started to go funky the minute the fish was drawn out from the water, not just after it was killed. So being close to death is enough to cause some effects.

The avatar might be the guardian of balance, but I don't think he's the 'spirit' of anything nor do I think the world would necessarily fall to ruin if the line was broken.

On the Metal bending bit though, I have to agree with Ehoron. There were master level earth benders, and none of them showed any ability to metal bend at all, in fact I believe it was widely regarded to be something that was impossible to do, even by the masters. So the fact that someone could follow in Toph's footsteps perfectly and stumble upon it might be a little hard to believe...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 pm

So are we going to make Character sheets or what?
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Ehoron, Avatars don't only enter the Avatar State for a short time after becoming fully realized Avatars. As soon as Aang's last chakra was unblocked, he basically became a fully realized Avatar. It is true that he could better control the Avatar State after that as we saw when he showed Ozai mercy, but I think he would still use the full Avatar State in a time of great need, and I would view his lover's death as a time of great need. It is a defense mechanism, but it's not only triggered when they decide it's time. It can be triggered by emotional turmoil or danger in general.

Furthermore, even if the people knew the Avatar was dead, they wouldn't lose all hope. Think about it. Though some people believed the Avatar would return, most people pretty much gave up on him. They figured he had abandoned them, and they were going to forge through on their own. If the Avatar dies, they can still truck through it as they did for one hundred years before the start of the series.

Also, in case you weren't paying attention to what they were saying in Chapter 1: "The Awakening" in Book Three: Fire, Aang actually did die, even if it was only for a few minutes.

I prefer to think of the Avatar as a physical representation of the world's spirit rather than the spirit incarnated into life. Think of him more as a President or a spokesperson. Presidents and spokespeople only represent a nation or a company. They aren't actually that nation or that company. However, they advocate their purpose. The Avatar's avocation is balance. If there is no Avatar, the world isn't going to die. It's just going to be that much harder to keep balance.

I know our world is quite different from theirs, but we don't have an Avatar to keep us all balanced and keep ourselves in line, and we're still around. Maybe without the Avatar the world will crumble, but I highly doubt it'll happen any sooner than the destruction of our own planet is occurring. We've had billions of years to kill our planet, and it's still alive, if not weakened.

Misery is playing as Zuko and the firebender of the group. I'll be playing as the waterbender. Airbending, earthbending, and non-bending characters will be open. The characters will be limited to one element. Only the Avatar is able to bend more than one element, as he has the capacity to do so. No normal humans have the ability. I would prefer to have no more than six people, max. If a sixth person shows interest, we can figure out where they would fit in the group.

However, benders may specialize in subsets of their element, like sandbending and such. Toph was able to sandbend on top of metalbend and bend regular earth. I see no reason why an earthbender couldn't bend sand and rock and normal dirt. Bloodbending and metalbending are going to be banned from the role play, though.

I'll address more bending thingies in the rules, methinks. I need to talk to Misery about some things before I post the official OoC.

I'll start working on an OoC thread to get everything going. I'll have the entirety of Misery's introduction, and I'll have the rules and the character sheets. It'll take a little bit for me to think of all the things I want to mention, but I have some questions for Misery before I post it, and he won't be back until later tonight.

As soon as I do make the thread, it's going to be first come first serve, but I'll post here right before I post the main OoC thread, so you guys will be aware. I'll also be posting this in the Advanced section.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm

I know I said I would post here before I post the OoC, but I think it's a better idea for me to link the OoC here right now.

Here is the official OoC!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down