FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wynter Revisited

2 posters

Go down

Wynter Revisited Empty Wynter Revisited

Post by Aesalon Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Okay, I had thrown this one out way back when FOG was young (last month.) And I would like to give it another shot - it will be Fantasy/Adventure/Horror, consider the setting to be 'Swords & Sorcery' type. Wynter is a pocket dimension, but the barriers between it and similar era dimensions are thinning.

While I would like one or two characters to be native to this land, characters who have 'fallen' into Wynter from other dimensions are acceptable. If you would like to create a character native to this land there is some information on the peoples of Wynter here: 3rd entry on page.

The Isle of Wynter
The Island proper is a landmass running about 700 miles from the Pale Spires on the north coast to the Boglands that are the prime characteristic of the south. Off the coast to the north the Spires extend the reach of the island as the lightly inhabited archipelago reaches further north another 300 miles, dotting a curved line of islands to the north and west, the last of these resting in the shadow of the Black Shroud that surrounds Wynter in every direction.
On the east coast of Wynter lie the lands of independent dukes and petty monarchies, each city a small nation, this fertile area is truly the life of the island. Some 500 miles across the island, crossing over the southern reaches of the Pale Spires, is the nation of Dambor and the extremely productive ranch land that supports her.

Special Conditions of Wynter:

-Magic: Magic in Wynter exists, but is at best an unreliable factor – there are locations around the island where any magical energy is nullified, then there are pockets of amplification as well. The art of magic study is all but lost to the population of this island, most fear a repeat of the mistakes that led to the wars nearly a millennia ago that are referred to as the Mage Wars, or are simply referred to as ‘Apocalypse’. People born with the ability are often exiled or even executed as soon as any sign of natural magical ability is detected.

-The Black Shroud: Between 150 and 300 miles from the shores of Wynter in every direction there is a great black storm, called by most the shroud (On a clear winter day in the north the shroud is visible as a dark line at the edge of the horizon.) No sailor living today has even attempted to cross the shroud, and tales of the horrible creatures that live inside are told to frighten children in every household from the palaces of the Sea Kings to the poorest cattle farm in Dambor. The Shroud appears from close inspection (for those brave enough or unlucky enough to come within a few miles of its base) to be a mile-high wall of dense swirling black fog. Its origins are unclear – as there are no stories about the beginning of the Shroud, many believe that it always has been there.

- Thinning of the Veil: Various dimensions are collapsing and folding into Wynter (Why and how is a story unto itself.)– Until the Mage Wars the Isle of Wynter was inhabited by humanity in all its variations, but no other creatures of fantasy were known inside the Shroud. Something during this great war has caused an escalating series of tears in the veil between dimensions, and small groups of mysterious creatures have crossed through rips in the veil at various times. These may be the sources of many of the strange tales that are being told in pubs across the island. (For this reason, almost anything is possible in Wynter – in small doses.)

**The Necre: The most recent dimensional collision was a place inhabited by beings of pure negative energy (or Necre) These being feed off of Kinete (life energy) and they require it to continue to exist. (It is unclear if these beings seek out dimensional pockets to feed on, or if this crossing was complete chance.) When a Necre finds a victim and feeds there are two possibilities. If the prey is an animal or human without any powers of magic (Or if the attack takes place in a null magic pocket.) then the life is drained and all that remains is a dried husk. If the prey is a human who has magical potential then in Necre is drawn into the being, creating a variation of the undead.
-People with small, diluted amounts of power will become ravening mindless hunters, ghouls who still hunger for Kinete, but cannot feed upon it – After a time of weeks or months the Necre will ‘starve’ and the body of the victim will simply collapse.
-For victims with slightly greater potential for magic, being attacked by a Necre will result in the Necre being forced into a permanent state of demi-humanity. (They will take on the appearance of the victim, though they will remain as beings of energy.) These wraiths will continue to feed upon kinete, and may live in this form indefinitely.
-For victims who would have had potential to reach arch-mage status or if the attack takes place in a pocket of magic amplification the victim will forge a symbiotic relationship with the Necre, though the need to feed on Kinete is still present, they can control the hunger for months at a time. (Fasting for this period though, is likely to result in a need to gorge eventually.)

-I would like 4-6 players besides myself, I would moderate the storyline.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Wynter Revisited Empty Re: Wynter Revisited

Post by Phedre Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am

I think sounds fantastically interesting! I would be very interested if this is still happening. I'm new to the site, and this is the first one that has really caught my eye. You have a great idea here and a wonderful imagination!

Phedre
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

I am still holding on to hopes that this will happen, it's just a matter of collecting a few more players. *Cross Fingers*
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down