FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC

2 posters

Go down

Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC Empty Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC

Post by MSurber90 Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:52 am

In the year 2023, a private venture to colonize Mars launched its first mission. Within eight months, the first four human beings to step onto the Martian landscape, marking an incredible milestone in mankind's history. Over the next several years, more missions are launched, and the Martian colony grows larger and more independent despite the isolation from the astronauts' home world.

The miraculous achievement sparked a renewed space race, with capable nations contributing to great advancements in technology. Over the next seventy years, mankind finally reaches out beyond our own star.

By 2112, the first successful faster-than-light drive is completed, launching a probe to a nearby neighboring star, Proxima Centauri, where over the following year, the probe sends back data and imagery of a series of potentially habitable worlds. Over the next two decades, multiple missions to gather and compile further information are mounted and finally, in 2151, the first colonization mission of an extrasolar star is sent underway, reaching their goal a short few days with the aid of faster-than-light travel. And by 2199, the current year, settlers have expanded outward to other planets in the system, with sprawling settlements dotting the planetscapes and orbital stations like glowing beacons in the night sky.

With the current technological advancements and the increasing independence of outer world colonies, tensions begin to increase between the colonies and the original core worlds of the human sphere of influence, with many colonists supporting secession and true independence, and the governmental bodies of Earth and the other core planets setting the stage and preparing for insurrection. This increasing atmosphere of fear and distrust provided opportunity for certain enterprising organizations and individuals.

Individuals like Jack Gates.

That's the storyline I got so far, currently working on a character sheet for him.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC Empty Re: Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC

Post by Syrena Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:29 pm

This is certainly an experience! I've never made an artificially intelligent character before. Or a non-human character for that matter. I watch a lot of science fiction, though, so hopefully those television shows rubbed off a little bit.

Still. This is a bit bare bones. If there's anything I need to change to help suit the storyline, please let me know. Or if you have any suggestions. I'm happy to take those, too. And, finally, if you like to have anything special in your character sheets--I'll be happy to add it in!

---

Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC Surreal_zps8c98d3d3
© Jessica Alba

Name: Surreal X5-7935
Nickname: Surreal
Alias: --

Creation Date: Winter 2195

Height: 5’7”
Weight: 135lbs
Appearance: Surreal’s initial design concepts dealt with raw, exposed circuitry. The exposure of wires, processors, and storage drives also meant her design wasn’t going to accommodate mobility. As technology continued to advance, and parts became more widely available, Surreal’s final design changed.

She looks human. Her outer shell is physically attractive. Tan, synthetic skin protects her internal circuitry. Dark brown hair, falling just past her shoulders, and brown eyes add to her humanoid appearance. And, like human beings, Surreal is mobile.

Previous Occupation: Hacker

Personality: Quiet; almost painfully quiet.

Surreal isn’t prone to conversation. She enjoys spending time alone or talking with other AI interfaces. Although, she is happy to observe the interactions of others. Watching interactions between people and downloading information from other computers is the primary way Surreal learns new information.

Not only is Surreal relatively quiet, she’s also laidback. Confrontation is something she avoids. However, she does experience bouts of frustration when she can’t complete assignments, such as hacking into other computers undetected. And she is prone to snippy, sarcastic remarks when she feels offended or angry.

Strengths and Weaknesses: A design flaw allows Surreal to learn. Originally built to hack into other computers and steal information, Surreal can apply the stolen information to real world situations. Her ability to learn, though, isn’t restricted to the information floating in data banks across the world. She can learn from observation and verbal instruction, too.

Surreal is ultimately a machine. She can’t survive in extreme temperatures; her hardware starts to break and she loses her mobility. The synthetic skin protecting her internal hardware isn’t resistant to the elements. Furthermore, her skin is as fragile as genuine human flesh. Falling on glass or skidding across concrete will tear the synthetic skin.

Biography: X5, an anti-government colonist group, created Surreal. Her initial conception was that of a supercomputer—something strong enough to hack into government computers on Earth and other core planets.

Surreal was a mass of exposed hardware. Dismantling her data cores and adding hardware updates to exposed circuitry was easier and quicker than removing thick, outer shells meant to protect her. Unfortunately, Surreal’s exposed circuitry made mobility almost impossible.

As technology continued to advance, and parts became more widely available, Surreal’s design transformed. Instead of a supercomputer with exposed parts, Surreal’s design became humanoid. The humanoid design consisted of the body of an attractive female. Tan, synthetic skin kept her hardware safe.

(Surreal’s appearance was so life-like rumors popped up about whether or not she was capable of feeling emotions such as frustration.)

Unfortunately, the synthetic skin needed to be stripped during hardware updates. As well as regularly replaced. During one of Surreal’s routine hardware updates, a military group raided the X5 hideout. Military personnel confiscated Surreal.

She bounced around sporadically afterwards. Briefly working for the government as a hacker, acting as a traveling companion with an Earth diplomat… Eventually she ended up on the Endeavor with Jack Gates.

Last edited by Syrena on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Looks very good. Very Happy I'll start on my own character sheet now.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 am

Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC Benbrowderbenbrowder155

Name: Jack Oliver Gates
Aliases: Numerous
Birth date: March 10, 2165 Earth Standard.
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 170lbs
Previous Occupation: Lieutenant, Olympian Defense Force, Aerospace Corps, 3rd Fleet, Group 1. Five years service
Biography: Born to a military officer and a civilian physician aboard the station Invidia II in low orbit above the Olympian moon Ariadne, Jack Gates' early life was somewhat sheltered, up until his primary schooling was completed. Following his father's example, Jack enlisted and, through some favors, was accepted as a candidate to attend officer training following his basic training. Upon graduating, Jack sought assignment to the less civilized reaches of colonial space, desiring to see the universe beyond the central planets.

As a young junior lieutenant aboard a scout frigate, Jack spent much of his military service hunting pirate vessels among lesser known moons and asteroid belts. It was sometime in this period that Jack established a small network of underworld contacts from the central planets to the outer rim, along with a number of enemies.

In early 2194, for unspecified reasons, Jack elected not to continue his military service and relinquished his commission as an officer, instead choosing to keep under the radar, at some time purchasing a ship, which he christened Endeavor.

Spoiler:

Last edited by MSurber90 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Excellent.

I'm glad Surreal looks okay so far. Hopefully, I'll get her biography filled in a little later. I've been tossing around origin stories and I can't seem to settle on anything yet.

I can't wait to see where Jack comes from. Smile
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Guess what.

Sea of Stars 1x1 OOC Mapgl
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:55 pm

That's pretty neat!

Edit: I keep meaning to ask, since I can't seem to decide on Surreal's origin story, but are Jack and Surreal already traveling together? Or are we going to have the pair meet during one of Jack's jobs?
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm

I meant to ask that last night as well but it slipped my mind. I think having them already traveling together works best, but that's just a hunch on my part. What do you think?
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

That sounds good to me! It'll make introductory posts and whatnot relatively easy.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Agreed.

I know I've said this before but I'm a serial procrastinator, but I'll get to working on Jack's bio soon as I can.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 pm

You're in good company! There's nothing like a little procrastination, and I like to indulge frequently. I promise I'm a patient person. A little bit of a wait isn't a big deal.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Hey, would ya look at that? There's a bio now. Very Happy
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Smile

I'll work on my origin story this week! Promise.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Sweet. Look forward to it. Smile
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I apologize for the delay!

Last week was very rough. And instead of being productive over the weekend, I curled up in bed and shut out the world. Thankfully, everything looks like it is going to smooth out this week!

I got the origin story--the very bare bones origin story--finished as well as the personality segment I left blank earlier! I hope everything looks alright.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 pm

I like, I like. Very Happy Well done.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Anything else you'd like to plan before starting an IC?
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Hmm, where do you suppose we shall start?
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Perhaps in the middle of a freelance gig gone wrong? It would make for an exciting beginning.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Heheheh hahahahaha... I find this agreeable...
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Should I be worried? lol
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Naaaaah, it'll be fine. Promise. I'll start working on an IC this week when I have downtime.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Hm... I'm not sure if I believe you. But I'm along for the ride! I can't wait to see your intro post.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Apologies for the absence. I got some stuff to take care of but as soon as I have opportunity I'll make another post.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:18 pm

It's all good. Take your time, and get things taken care of! A little bit of a wait between posts isn't a big deal.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Whew, finally got around to churning out a post last evening. Very Happy
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 am

Looks good!

I'm going to have a busy week, but I am hoping to have a new post up near the end of the week. If everything simmers down like it's supposed to.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm still here!

I apologize for the long delay. I finally got a job, so I'm adjusting to that, and if something can go wrong in my life, it's gone wrong. What little free time I have is being stolen.

But, I haven't forgotten this! And I'm hoping--praying, wishing--to have some quality computer time this weekend. So, maybe I'll post something up this weekend! Again, though, I'm sorry everything is taking so long on my end.
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MSurber90 Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 am

Not a problem. I've been pretty busy myself these past few days as well so I'm no stranger to the feeling.
MSurber90
MSurber90
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down