FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Unitive Force (Interest Check)

5 posters

Go down

The Unitive Force (Interest Check) Empty The Unitive Force (Interest Check)

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 am

OOC is Here.

You are not in Kansas anymore. And no, it's not Prodemia either.

Prodemia. You remember, the paradise they said it'd be? A green, untouched world, hundreds of light-years from home. A new Earth. A fresh start for humanity.

Coming back slowly? Cryo-stasis does that to you; rest assured it's perfectly normal. You won't recognize where you are, though, I'm sure. You probably never saw the ship; they were still building her when you colonists were frozen and slated for one of the cryo bays. The
Aurora Heres was booked two years before she was space worthy, and she was already about six hundred grand over budget. That deficit rose a few digits before the end, to be sure. Expensive ride for a couple thousand ice cubes.

All that money, all that time to find us a paradise out here in the universe. Then all it took was a stray comet… Cryo bay D is gone along with most of the fuel. And here we are, hundreds of light-years from paradise and farther still from home. Bound to scrape existence off the underside of a rock on the only remotely habitable planet the
Aurora Heres can get us to before her fuel reserves dry up. Captain can call it a pit stop all he wants, we all know the truth. He's just waiting for the politicians to thaw.

Still feeling out of whack? Let's get you to the outer rings. Centrifugal force may not be gravity but it its close enough. You'll feel better soon. We're coming up on Sansdemia. No, I don't know who started calling it that. They say the rain has a pH level of about 1.4. By the time we get there, they'll have shelters, but there'll be a lot of work to do. It'll be months before they get everyone planet-side.

You may've signed on as just a colonist, but there's a lot of work to be done, here.

Logistics of the Milieu

I have one point to make about the setting I've put together for this story.  I'm not going to put up with anything that doesn't have at least a theoretical plausibility in modern science. A lot of science fictions find easy ways around inconveniences; I'm not using them.  So, as examples:

- We will be role-playing through the experience of first contact with an alien species...  without any "universal translator" to spontaneously figure out what they mean, no super-intelligent being learning English by listening to a couple sentences, nor any mind-readers.

- "Artificial gravity" doesn't exist without a darned good reason.  (I.e. centrifugal force.)

- There will be no miraculous starship drives allowing us to ignore the theory of relativity where relativity is due.

It should be noted that I make certain presumptions about theoretical quantum physics (i.e., that tachyons exist). Some of these presumptions entail means of interstellar travel to which relativity does not apply; these methods will not be commonplace.

If you're technically-minded and have specific questions feel free to ask. If you have no idea what I mean when I get technical, don't worry, you're just as welcome to join.

Hopes for the Story

The characters are what will either break this story or make it shine.  I'm not looking for a static group, and I don't want to see everyone having identical opinions all the time. I will encourage participants to have multiple characters through the course of the story… Though, not necessarily all at once. And not all just human, either.  There's room for average Joes, super-soldiers, and everything in between. Characters may be human or darn near any kind of alien (except the plagiarized kind).

I want to challenge participants to have their characters in this story bring up conflicting views, debate, build camaraderie, stir up dissent, and come face to face with harsh realities… losses and triumphs alike.

Despite taking a shot at "hard" science fiction, this story will become rather epic. But I don't want all our characters chipped off the same block; I want them to be down to earth. Pardon the pun. And I expect not all of them will be coming home in one piece.

I hope to be able to collaborate with some participants individually, behind the scenes, so more characters who aren't even mine can play a larger role in the story.  I have a direction for the plor but it's subject to in-character actions and I'll open to ideas for such collaborations.

Still Interested?

If not, what the heck are you still reading for?

But if you are, post here so I can get a head count. Comments and questions welcome.

I talk too much, I know...

Last edited by Kyrt Malthorn on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

The Unitive Force (Interest Check) Empty Re: The Unitive Force (Interest Check)

Post by quakernuts Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 am

You have my eyes wandering over here, and my interest piqued even if the only technical doo-dads I'll be able to do will be why a wheel goes round while it rolls down a hill.

If it gets going, you have my vote!
quakernuts
quakernuts
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Hrm... I vaguely remember looking at this, thinking "tldr" and making a note to come back to it later... and now it seems less ginormous. You didn't happen to kidnap lots of info, did you? *suspicious glare*

Anyway, I'm definitely interested-- My own attempts at trying to make an RP as story driven as you propose have generally failed BUT I've never managed to get one started at FoG, so it should be interesting to see. Plus, I've always wanted to see a colony RP work out, so, two in one!

>.>
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 pm

I didn't edit out any info, no. My only edit was to correct a typo and some faulty italics tags.

You should be aware, however, the 'colony RP' aspect will be brief at best.

Given that I have two participants how have not commented here, I'll go ahead and try to put up an OOC with more specific info for getting started. Nobody freak if I don't get to it for a couple days; I may be having company over this weekend for the 4th.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Moonseye Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Hmm....SO TEMPTING.

I love me a well done scifi. So, I'm interested. My participation however, will depend on me getting caught up with everything I need to first.
Shadow Moonseye
Shadow Moonseye
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Don't worry, Shadow. You'll be welcome to join even further into the story, whenever your schedule allows.

The OOC thread is up.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wolf Kin Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, mister Malthorn, you already know my answer.
The Wolf Kin
The Wolf Kin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down