FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) - Page 3 Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by Lumeus Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Is there an American version of Diagon Alley? Or like a wizard Amazon.com?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) - Page 3 Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Dragons, I'd say yes, there are some in the States. For Appalachia, I'd say they'd be small breeds, and in the far north of the Rocky mountains, if existant, they'd be ice dragons. (Ha, I'm saying it's cold in Canada). As for South America, I'm not enitrely sure, but I'd say it's possible. I guess I always picture them in very mountainous areas, and I'm not too familiar with the terrain of the Andes, but it does make sense.

As for wizarding shops, I'd say there are various places all around the continent. If you'd like, I can place them and name them.

Right now, I'm finishing up the schedules and images for the Heads of Houses. If you have any ideas, voice them and they shall be heard. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I say we think up our own dragon breeds.

For example, the Canadian Frosthide, or the Rocky Hornblade.

A few things remain common in all of the dragon breeds from what I've read. They can all fly, they are all closely watched by the wizarding community, if possible they are relocated to a reserve for the protection of muggles, and they all breath fire. I never found anything that says dragons cannot breath other elements, such as frost, water, acid... etc., but if there are, they have not been discovered yet.

The Peruvian Vipertooth already exists for South America, but there's no reason we can't throw in more.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Well, the way Rowling does it is she both uses preconceived mythology and creates her own. So we can either A. Follow her examples to the T or B. Follow her example in using both preconceived and self-created.

Edit: Also, here is the chart I've been using for the schedule, so you all can see how I have to do this. Schedule Chart

And this is a quick sketch of how I picture the heads of the houses: Heads of House From left to right, they are: Lucan VanPool, Keziah Growling, Amias Myriad, and Iona Neriss. And yes, Amias is a man. Just a very pretty man.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Sweet! OMG! I'm so glad I'm doing the schedule. XD

I'm digging the heads of houses!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 pm

So, Yen, I just noticed, and I gotta ask. Sooner or Cowboy?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Thank you. :3 and, Kathryn, what do you mean by you're doing the schedule? Just out of curiosity. >>

And... hm. I'm not much of a sports fan? But, if I have to choose, I'm a sooner. Hell, I can play Boomer Sooner on my trumpet.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm

er... I mean to say, "I'm so glad I'm not doing the schedule." My fingers must have skipped over the key word "not." /fail

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Lol. I do that... a lot, actually. I've done it while speaking before, too. That's even harder to explain.
I was just curious as to if you were. If that'd been the case, we'd just have to compare the schedules and see which was better.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm pretty sure yours would be better. =P I really just don't have time to make a schedule though I have time to help with other things. A schedule is probably just too much to handle with everything else I need to do, and I'm just getting over being sick, sooo... bleh...

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Oh! *whew* good. For a sec I thought we had to be mortal enemies. But we're good. Smile
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Oh, god, no. Before the divorce, my step-dad would decorate the house in Crimson and white every Christmas. It made me slightly detest the color, but I still favor the Sooners over the Cowboys.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 am

Nice schedule. Smile I was wondering though, why are two classes scheduled for each time slot in the day?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Since there are 4 houses, each class fits for 2 houses of the same year. For example, a Transfiguration first year class may have both Zhora and Kari first years, and another later in the day will have Marko and Iagan. But at the same time of the first Transfiguration class, there may be a Charms first year class with Marko and Iagan.

The only year that has more options than the rest are third years. With the extra classes (such as Geomancy and Demonology), each house 3rd year has 2 options, so they have the opportunity to take more classes. It's planning ahead for students dropping classes. Of course, later on, some classes clash and you may not be able to take them, but if that's the case, it may be allowed (if there only few) to take a class with 2 other houses, instead of 1 plus your own.

I hope all that made sense. Just ask if there's something you're not understanding.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 pm

I meant that, for instance, it looks like the Marko and Kari first years have Transfiguration class at 9 a.m. and the Iagan and Kari third years have Transfiguration at 9 a.m.

Two classes set for the same time. I was wondering how that worked?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Oh, right. There are 2 schedule sets. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Tuesday, Thursday. Classes on the Monday schedule last 45 minutes, classes on the Tuesday schedule last an 55 minutes. Over all, there's a 10 minute difference, but it shouldn't matter too much, and teachers have the option to let classes go early, if they so please.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Ah, gotcha.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am

So, I've started rereading the Harry Potter series because I haven't read any of them since the seventh book became available. Anyway, so, as I read, I thought I could give some details we may have missed about the Wizarding world.

Hagrid told Harry that Gringott's is the only bank in the Wizarding world, so I was thinking that if this is the case, there could be branches of it all over the world, all run by goblins. What do you guys think?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 am

Works for me.

Another thing to consider. In Potter world all of the students have to go to Kingscross to get on the train. From what I understand, most students arrive in London several days earlier to go to Diagon Alley for last minute school shopping.

Do all of the Ravenscar students need to take a flight to the same city so that they all board the same connecting flight to Ravenscar?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am

Personally, I think that's the best idea. If the school is a hidden castle like Hogwarts, there should only be a few ways one can access it. The flight should be one of those ways.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:23 pm

While I did consider that, there was an issue that came to my mind. Britain is about the size of California, Nevada, and Arizona combined, right? Around that, at least. But that's only a fragment of the size of the U.S., then you add Canada and possibly Mexico. The school will have to be a bit bigger than Hogwarts to begin with, to occupy that many students. What I've been considering, since the distance and size is so great, that there are a select few airports scatted around the continent.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:04 pm

That's a good idea. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Oki doki loki. If any of you want to take charge of any of the heads of house, create any magical creatures, or want to design the school itself; speak now or forever hold you peace.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm fine with the heads of houses and whatever school design you want. It is going to be a castle, right? Castles rock!

Anyway, why do we have to forever hold our peace about creating magical creatures, though? Can't that be something that we can do as we go along?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Honestly, I just wanted to say 'or forever hold your peace'. But I do want to get as much out of the way as possible before we start, however that does not mean we have to get EVERYTHING. I just want a good portion.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 am

Have you already thought up a concept for how the school looks?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:01 am

Well.... I have a general sense. It's part of the reason I asked if anyone else wanted to do it. Partially because I have a few things I'm doing and partially so it's not compromised by two people doing it at once or saying one place looks two different ways while in the actual roleplay.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 pm

I just thought of something...

If the school was just recently founded and will be going into its first year as a real school, why aren't the house founders the heads of the houses? I mean, if they were all four headmasters, I could see why, but it doesn't make sense that they would create a school and found specific houses without wanting to run them, you know?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 am

Hmm...

Yeah, Kathryn brings up a good point. And along those lines, would one of the founders be the Headmaster as well?

On the other hand, the founders of the Ravenscar houses could be more like a board of directors. Financial beneficiaries of sorts.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:04 am

I don't see why all four founders couldn't share responsibility as headmasters and headmistresses, honestly, or the heads of their own houses.

Of course, a financial beneficiary thing for them would also be logical.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next