FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

5 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Ruu wrote:~Alrighty, I made the changes as you've asked. I hope everything's okay now! I was going to ask some questions about magical schooling. I should've done that before I posted.

Ugh, I hate having to ask for edits, I do, but I do have one last one, but it's pretty minor. Ravenscar just opened, this is it's first year. I just want to make sure that's understood so there isn't any confusion. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:03 am

UNIFORM DESIGNS. Now bear with me, these are just sketchy sketches, but they should give you all a generalized idea.

Uniforms

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:25 am

~No problem! I changed it to include that fact.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Looks fine now, Ruu. Thank you. :3

I have another question for you lot! For the housing ceremony, I've thought of two options we can use. The first is, of course, a sorting hat, and I have a design for it, it's very flamboyant. I'll show you if you'd like. The other option I have is a goblet, filled with a liquid that makes you blow out smoke, but the smoke you exhale is colored and will spell out the name of the house you'll be sorted into.

What do you all think? One of these, or do you all have another idea?

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Nice uniforms. So the girls wear pants as well?

Sorting ceremony ideas.

First Years could pick up a rune stone, which begins to swirl with color. The stone finally lights up with the solid color of whatever house the student is to be sorted into.

First Years could draw a straw from the end of a sorting broom. The piece of straw catches fire and in a flash it's nothing more than smoke. The smoke spells out the name of the house the student is to join.

The student flips a coin. A teacher catches the coin mid-air, and when they open their hand, the house sigil is displayed on both sides of the coin.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:47 pm

I think the uniforms looks really cool! I love the tops. I'm just surprised that the girls have to wear pants, too. I've never actually heard of any kind of school that had uniforms where girls didn't wear skirts.

Hm... Can I see the hat you sketched? I don't actually think we should go with that idea because Hogwarts does it, but I like looking at artwork. XD

Anyway, my two favorite ideas are the liquid smoke goblet and the rune stone idea.

However, I think it would be really cool for the goblet thing if when they blow out the smoke, the animal mascot of the house is what comes out. Like... it could even move like the real life animal would. The smoke would be coloured like the house of the animal, too.

For the rune stone, I think it could be cool if instead of a rune stone, it was just some kind of crystal, and it could swirl with colour and show the animal mascot surrounded by swirling mists of the colours of the house.

Just a thought.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Nice sketches! I like them, but the whole girls wearing pants thing, too. As for the sorting ceremony, they all sound good. I would probably stay away from the sorting hat idea, though, since that one has been done with Harry Potter. The smoke idea is kinda cool.

And, I'll be getting that second character up soon.

Quick question: Are the class schedules the same based on year or house or something? Or is it by choice of the student?
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:53 pm

The house schedules are based on both house and year, 2 houses per class, but of course, they're the same year. I have most of it done, but I have to type it up. I've been thinking it out with a chart because it's easier to see who's where and when.

The reason I thought of goblet and smoke is so it'd be visible to the entire hall, just as how everyone can hear the sorting hat shout the houses, but it's still up for discussion, of course. :3

As for the uniforms, I gave the women pants so the uniforms would be unisex, and pants because the rocky mountains are DAMN COLD. I also have a design for the coat. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 am

Heh, I didn't know pants were warmer than long skirts.

And I haven't even finished writing up my first profile before I started on a second.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 am

I'm sorry if my reply sounded a bit rude, I didn't mean it to be, but looking back on it, I can see how it may have sounded that way.

Pants are indeed warmer than skirts, even long ones. The close to your skin, the warmer it is. Skirts let too much air in. It's why people will wear those robes in the desert. It provides air on the inside and protects from the sun on the outside. So, pants. And the top is a jack, of sorts, and there will be a sleeveless shirt beneath it of a more pliable texture.

And, Lumeus, you're fine. I still have another character and teacher to prepare, and to finish the details on this schedule. Pain in the ass.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 am

It's oh so worth it, though! Yen, if you need help preparing anything, I'm all for it, mmkay?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 am

Something of interest. My grandparents on my mother's side were missionaries, and my mother and all of her siblings went to middle school and high school in Norway.

My uncle named one of my cousins Kari, and in Norwegian it is pronounced "Caw-dee."

Small anecdote to add a bit of detail to the rp.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:57 am

It is worth it. The satisfaction when I complete or figure out something makes it worth my while. Kathryn, I'll make sure to let you know with anything. :3 The schedule I know is something I need to do myself, or else it will get really mixed up.

And Lumeus, that is extremely helpful. I have a tendency to roll my Rs, so I'll let you imagine how I was pronouncing it.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Well, the place where I got the information basically has the rolled R for the pronunciation guide. Rolled r's can sound kind of like something between an L and a D, so I think that's how it's meant to be pronounced. You were probably pronouncing it just fine.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm

*is now saying it over and over again to see if it sounds funny*

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am

Curious. The Ministry of Magic is based off of Britain's political structure.

Would the U.S. "Ministry of Magic" be based off of our government, and would it still be called the "Ministry of Magic?"
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Personally, I'm a fan of the style of government the Ministry is, but I'll leave it up to ya'll if you wanna go for a different government style.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:08 pm

:: shrugs :: I'm fine with fashioning the government after the Britain Ministry of Magic. Just because J.K. Rowling fashioned it after Parliament ((which is probably the government with which she's most familiar considering she's British)) doesn't mean that all magical places can't have a similar or the same government style in the wizarding world.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:33 am

So, I had to redo the scheduling. I have first and second years done (again), and I'm working on 3 and up, since they have sooooo many extra possible classes.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Sounds good to me.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:41 pm

If any of my class schedules happen to be out of sync or whatever with the way you had envisioned, YenWen, just let me know because I am still unsure to the details, though you already explained it. >.<

I am also assuming that, for the most part, the Harry Potter universe is still in play? So...if that is wrong, just let me know and I will edit out the small detail in my second character before posting it. (I just have a reference to the Delacour's in it.)
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 pm

I could be wrong, but with the way YenWen said Ravenscar just recently opened, I assumed that this was set in modern times which means that the whole Harry Potter/Voldemort thing has already finished. Since the Battle of Hogwarts took place in 1998, those main characters who survived the battle would definitely still be alive, just as adults in their late twenties through mid thirties.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:44 am

I was under that impression as well, that our timeline is closer to the events of the last book's epilogue than the books themselves.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 am

Exactly, Kathryn. Thank you for explaining that. And, BtM, your classes should be fine, I think.

The year is current and actually a few months in the future. Also, I've been considering starting when they get their letter, doing a few posts from there, and then skipping ahead to getting on the plane. However, it would be a little bit of a hassle, so I'll let you all think about it.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 am

Alrighty, that's what I thought. Thank you for the explanation.
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lumeus on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Lumeus, very nice. :3 I was wondering if anyone was going to do a Metamorphmagus. I only have one issue, and that's his schedule. Extra classes, like Astronomy, can't be added to their schedule until 3rd year. Other than that, I think he's fine. The core of the wand is a bit different, and I know it's not in the typical list, but since it is an American school and the Thunderbird is a Native American creature, I'll let everyone else decide if that's alright. If that's the case, we can also decide if we want to change all the cores, considering location.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Ah, no problem. That can be changed. I wasn't sure what all the First Years were allowed to take, so I copied the courses off what I read on the Harry Potter wiki. So if Hogwarts has Astronomy, is there a course that Ravenscar offers First Years that Hogwarts does not?

And I don't think we need to change all of the cores, I just thought it would be interesting to add some to the list.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:25 pm

I actually added quite a few classes to the list. I added Alchemy, Geomancy, Demonology, Meditation, Theurgy, Philosophy of Magic, and a couple others. Those are off the top of my head. However, the first year academics stay the same. Flying is only a first semester course, as well. First and second years have very few classes, but an extensive amount of homework, to make sure basics are learned thoroughly before proceeding into in-depth magic.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm fine with having wand cores that relate to Native American folklore. I think it's cool, actually.

However, the core of Fairuza's wand is dragon heartstring, and I don't see why there couldn't be dragons in the mountains of the Americas or something, you know? Especially when it comes to South America where she originally went to school anyway.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next