FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mother-****in' Hogwarts.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mother-****in' Hogwarts. Empty Mother-****in' Hogwarts.

Post by YenWen Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Has this been done before? Most likely. Don't care.

SO. As you all probably know, if you don't live in a dark cave in the lost land of King Kong, the Harry Potter fuss will be over by the end of July. Because of that, there has been some last minute obsession over the series. Such obsession has lead to ideas. (Aren't those fun? I never stop.)

I've been considering schools in other countries, including the States. I don't know, though, not entirely at least. What do you all think? Something worth going over?

*Edit:
We now have an OOC! Come join us at Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery

Last edited by YenWen on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Mother-****in' Hogwarts. Empty Re: Mother-****in' Hogwarts.

Post by YenWen Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Nothing? D: Is it the title? Because it's kind of depressing...

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Torturous Flame Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 am

OMG YES
Torturous Flame
Torturous Flame
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:46 am

Ah-ha! I knew I wasn't the only one to think this was awesome. Thank you for reassuring me. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I am kind of interested in this, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. Do you have any plots in mind, like... even tiny plots that aren't fully formed?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:I am kind of interested in this, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. Do you have any plots in mind, like... even tiny plots that aren't fully formed?

I'm more so the type to collaboratively make plots. When you think of how plots for the Harry Potter series goes, you need the main villain. A bad guy, in any sense, means there's a background. I honestly hate making the background myself, not because I can't, but because if I do, there's normally a lot of changes that happen to it, to make most participants happy. If I must, I can, but it's a preference. There's a lot to work out, and if I do decide to make the plot and backgrounds myself, I'd like to know there's a bit more than just my interest behind it.

I think the main reason I have a problem with doing that before hand is because of past experiences that have led me to do the collaborative thing. If it's preferred I make the plot and background, I gladly will. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:42 pm

I have no problems with collaborating on plots. I actually prefer doing that, too. I just tend to suck at coming up with the initial foundation for plots. I'm much better at building bricks to set atop the foundation. XD

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:55 pm

So, stuff we'll need to discuss:

Houses and their foundings.
What are some good house names and what in particular differentiates the houses. What are their colors, how did they get their names, ect.

Where the school is
Also in this is is this the only school in the States? Possibly North America? If it's the only one in North America, it'd probably be equal distance from most places.

How do they get there
Personally, because their are so few trains in the U.S. anymore, I was thinking planes. But that's up for discussion.

Is their anything specifically different this school has from others.
Are there 4 houses, or even houses at all? Do they teach something other schools don't? Do they have any habits particular to the school?

Name of said school
Pretty straight forward.

Purpose for roleplay
What is it that can happen at this school to make it worth telling the story of? I had the idea of it being the first one in the states, and that American witches and wizards have been going to schools in other countries, or have been home-schooled with permission from the American Ministry. Again, up for discussion.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Hm... I like to get really detailed with stuff like this and do a lot of research, so I will edit this post with the ideas I have for each section ((unless someone posts after me, in which case I will simply post the information as a new post)).

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

My main focus today has been on the houses, and since the U.S. has a thing for division, I'm going with multiple houses. (Again, if that suits everyone.) I also think, if they have animal mascots, they should be as follows: Eagle, Otter, Deer (or Bison, whichever), and Scorpion. I chose these as a representation of the elements. Air, Water, Earth, and Fire.

The names, however, are where I'm having problems.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Hm... I didn't realize the animals you wanted initially, so I came up with my own, and I finished just before I read what you wrote. ^x_x^

I can change what I have if you really want, but I researched so much for this that I'm not touching it until I know that would be preferred. I will say that I would only have to change three things, but I should inform you that scorpions are associated with water, not fire, for some, strange reason.

House Anil
Element: Air
Animal: Owl
Colors: White and Yellow
Founder: Ulmuka Anil
Strengths: Inventive, Original, Versatile, Wise
Weaknesses: Depressed, Detached, Lack Connection with Higher Self, Overactive Mind

House Zhora
Element: Earth
Animal: Deer
Colors: Brown and Green
Founder: Fawnella Zhora
Strengths: Patient, Reliable, Practical, Stable
Weaknesses: Materialistic, Resistant to Change, Stingy, Too Much Attention to Detail

House Iagan
Element: Fire
Animal: Fox
Colors: Orange and Red
Founder: Crevan Iagan
Strengths: Courageous, Creative, Intuitive, Self-Expression
Weaknesses: Aggressive, Egotistical, Lack Interest, Self-Centered

House Nerio
Element: Water
Animal: Dolphin
Colors: Blue and Grey
Founder: Delfina Nerio
Strengths: Challenging, Empathetic, Nurturing, Passionate
Weaknesses: Moody, Over-possessive, Overprotective, Oversensitive

{EDIT}
I decided on a bit more information. Let me know what you think. Are there any ideas it gives you? Does it all just suck? Feel free to give honest opinions!

Where is the school?
I think the school should be the only one in North America ((though there may be one in South America, too)). It would make sense to have it in the United States because that’s the center country in North America. Maybe it could be somewhere in Colarado or Montano because there’s a lot of beautiful land in those areas.

How do they get to the school?
I like the idea of an airplane ride rather than train ride since it’s not just a school for one country so much as for a whole continent.

Differences from Other Schools
Still four houses which isn’t different. Maybe they can teach Theurgy ((white magick performed with the aid of spirits; divine or spiritual intervention of sorts)) which I don’t know that they teach in the school in the Hogwarts universe. Maybe they also teach students to create brand new spells along with the regular spells that already exist? If they’re based in the United States, it would make sense that they’re a little more open to change than other schools.

Name of School
Bullblisters School
Camelcanker Institution
Frogscar Institution
Ravenscar Academy

My personal favorites are Frogscar and Ravenscar ((mostly the latter)). Maybe just something about scars is appealing? It could either have a suffix of “of witchcraft and wizardry” or “of enchantment and magery.”

Purpose for roleplay
For a premise, I like the idea of it being the first in the states. Like… maybe it’s a new school or something, so it’s trying to get on its feet. We’d still need a plot to go with it… Maybe they built it somewhere like a Native American burial ground, and they’re faced with some hefty challenges that way? Maybe they have to learn to coexist peacefully or decimate the ghost problem? I don’t know yet. Still in the brainstorming phase.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:56 pm

The reason I said Scorpion was I was trying to think of something that was easily recognizable with the States. I thought "Desert... what's in the desert... SCORPIONS." But I do like the fox better.

The only 2 have a problem with are the owl and the dolphin. Knowing Americans, we like to have emblems that are entirely ours, that can't be associated anywhere else. That's why I chose an eagle, to calm the self-obsession case. Dolphins... I'm just not entirely sure on. I know otters are found in many regions in the U.S., there are 4 types, 2 of which are only found in the U.S. However, if the dolphin is better preferred, we can go with that. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:09 pm

I will admit that I am a little biased when it comes to foxes because they're my favorite animals, so I'm glad you prefer the fox idea. XD

The reason I chose the owl is because they're not only a bird ((air)), but they're also associated with wisdom which is a character trait of air elementals - which is why I chose it as one of the strengths for that house. However, I had minor reservations about it myself because owls are allowed as familiars in the Harry Potter 'verse, soooooo yeah. I wasn't entirely sure on it despite it fitting so freaking well.

As far as dolphins go, I can change it to otter if there are names that go well with it. What I did for the names was choose a first name that had a meaning of the house animal. Like... Delfina means dolphin. The last name has the meaning of the element ((Novio means water)). However, I also made sure the first and last name had the same origins. Ulmuka Anil is Sanskrit, Fawnella Zhora is English, Crevan Iagan is Gaelic, and Delfina Novio is Greek. Can you tell I didn't want any of their names to have the same origins. XD

Let me see if I can find some names that work well with the animal and elements while not being what we have for the two we're keeping ((fire and earth)), and I'll get back to you. ^^_^^

Also, did you see my edit of that post with the houses? I added more potential information that was desired.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 pm

I think we edited and posted at the same time.

I love all the ideas you gave. I do. I too am leaning on Ravenscar. It just sounds fancy and neat as "Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery". Nice ring to it.

Ugh, it's always the -worst- problem to make a plot. Part of it bothers me because it makes a fixated point ending. I always like letting a roleplay go on as long as it needs to, letting problems occur as they would, and as people get ideas for it.

I can look into a name change. I think I'm fixated on just how damn adorable otters are. I can't get it out of my head.

Before I make this a full fledged OOC, I'd like to know there was a bit more interest. IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THIS AND YOU ARE INTERESTED, SPEAK UP. DO IT.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm glad you like the ideas I had.

I often like to just have a role play go without a set plot, but I've found that a lot of people need a plot as incentive to keep going, so the game doesn't stagnate, you know?

We can come up with a plot later, though. Maybe one will present itself as we play the game.

Oooh! Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery sounds awesome. ^^_^^

I'm already looking into the name changes. For Eagle/Air we can have:
Ying Feng (Chinese)
Arve Kari (Norse)

There aren't any names that mean Otter that have the same origin as a name meaning Water, sadly. ^;_;^

EDIT
Wait! I lied!

Vidra Marko could work! It's Serbian.

Marko means "of the sea," but it's still water based. >=( I mean, the last names for the Air means "wind" because there weren't any names that meant Eagle that had the same origin as names that meant Air.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm lovin' the Norse one. Maybe it's my love for how Norse words sound. (Awesome.)

We don't have to use name names, if that's the problem. Make 'em up! Vidra is Greek for otter, and personally, I think it's adorable. Like an otter. (I know I'm starting to sound a bit stupid, but bear with me.) Water in Greek is Nero. (I'm leaving off the accents to I don't have to look for the alt codes.)

I'm also now having fun with the translator, making it say weird words.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Ah! You didn't see my edit again...

Weird... When I found Vidra, it was said to be Serbian, not Greek, so I found a Serbian surname to go with it...

Vidra Marko.

EDIT
I suck at coming up with made-up names which is why I prefer using sites that state meanings of names. I can find some really unique names that way.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Ooh~ I like it. And sorry I didn't see the edit. :< I'm horrible about that.

So, should I go ahead and make the OOC and see if that gets more attention? >>

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Yes. I think having an OoC could help, especially with the information on the game we currently have. You should probably title it with something that states it's Hogwartsy but not based on that particular school. Maybe using the school name would even work?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:05 pm

The OOC
It's up~ Yay~

Edit: And I'm inducting you as my first mate on this roleplay ship. You are in charge while I am away, seeing as I have a day trip to get started on. I won't be back until early tomorrow, or extremely late tonight.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Sounds good to me. I'm as invested in this game now as you are since we collaborated all of that work into the houses and the name and whatnot. ^^_^^

EDIT
I have a couple of concerns.

1. If one of the house colours for the Water House ((House Marko)) is grey, shouldn't the dress code robes be a different colour?

2. If students begin attending at age eleven and attend for the next seven years, would that mean they can attend from ages eleven to eighteen? You have it at ages eleven to seventeen which is only six years.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 pm

The way I see the emblem is that it has a black border, so there is a definite boundary between cloak and emblem. As for the ages, you're not including on of the ages. Such as 1-7 are still seven numbers. And I'm responding with my phone, it's a bit hard.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 pm

That's true, but I just thought of another thing. If they can turn eleven during the school year, that means they can start school at age ten as long as the requirements are meant.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:09 pm

The way I saw it was they had to turn 11 the prior year, so there final year, they'd turn 18 sometime during the year. Like, Harry barely made it in the year he did, which is why he was always the youngest, because he turned 11 just before the school year started.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Okay, then you should have it say that the maximum age is eighteen rather than seventeen, right, if they can turn eighteen during their final year.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Well, the maximum age when they begin the year is still 17, which is what I was trying to get across. Maybe I should make that a bit more clear. >>

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:12 pm

That would probably be a good idea. XD

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:29 pm

I am still going over the previous posts so I can give educated (and hopefully helpful) suggestions, but I wanted to go ahead and express my interest. Smile
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Sweet, Lumeus! The OoC can be found in the thread called Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DracoMalfoy Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:06 pm

I didn't want to post in the OOC because I was afraid of interupting something. So, if it isn't too late, can I express interest in this? I love Harry Potter and magic in general, so I think this would be fun! If I'm too late, let me know, but I thought I'd post here just in case! ^_^
DracoMalfoy
DracoMalfoy
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1634981/w-allman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next