FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A FOG Role-Play - In need of opinions

+7
Aesalon
Twoface_ecafowT
Igraine
Loki
Kathryn Lacey
Tempest
Fate Flyer
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A FOG Role-Play - In need of opinions - Page 2 Empty Re: A FOG Role-Play - In need of opinions

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Schrödinger wrote:
Not necessarily. Technically, anyone could register at this site, whether or not they meet the qualifications set down by the site rules. This way, you can rule those people out.

This same reasoning could be applied to -any- roleplay, not just this one. They shouldn't be treated any differently than if they posted a sub-par post in, say...something on the Advanced RP forums.

Besides, just like a post count for the entire forum isn't a viable rating of skill, neither is a post count on the RP forums. If they can put up badly done writing in this RP, than they could do it in any other RP and you wouldn't know any more than you did before.

My main thing is, I would like there to be something for members to do to work toward achieving eligibility to join this, but what exactly this is that they are working at is something that needs to be decided on.

Why? Why is this necessary? You're taking it too seriously.
Same story as the rest of this board.

If somebody is posting below our standards in the role-playing sections, Schro, then they will be warned, as we have rules for this to keep this one of the only places on the internet that tries to taking role-playing seriously.

It's not necessary, but it would make it more of an interest to people. What, exactly, do you feel we are taking too serious here? If you were referring to our standards for role-playing, they are set at a reasonable level to allow this board to be considered advanced. There are hundreds of below average to average role-playing boards on the net. If you prefer, you can always join one of them. Let us keep this place as one of the better ones. I don't think that's such a crime.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

A FOG Role-Play - In need of opinions - Page 2 Empty Re: A FOG Role-Play - In need of opinions

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:16 pm

If somebody is posting below our standards in the role-playing sections, Schro, then they will be warned, as we have rules for this to keep this one of the only places on the internet that tries to taking role-playing seriously.

Taking roleplaying seriously is fine and dandy, but there's a point when you've crossed a line that's beyond reason.

It's not necessary, but it would make it more of an interest to people. What, exactly, do you feel we are taking too serious here? If you were referring to our standards for role-playing, they are set at a reasonable level to allow this board to be considered advanced. There are hundreds of below average to average role-playing boards on the net. If you prefer, you can always join one of them. Let us keep this place as one of the better ones. I don't think that's such a crime.

Your opinions of 'advanced,' 'better,' etc. are flawed, and that's really where the problems start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Schrödinger wrote:Your opinions of 'advanced,' 'better,' etc. are flawed, and that's really where the problems start.
Schrödinger, if you would like us to consider your opinion on this matter, please send us a PM or post a topic in the feedback section. This is not the topic to discuss these things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Application has my vote, it'll help bring more attention to the IC aspect of this forum (which seems to be one of the main reasons FoG was created). However, we should put more emphasis on quality over quantity, that is the vibe I got when I joined this forum. That way RPs aren't created just for the sake of reaching the desired post count, then pushing aside those RPs they were enrolled in so that they can play in the FoG one. I'm not saying that everybody would do that, but there is bound to be a few people.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Schrödinger, if you would like us to consider your opinion on this matter, please send us a PM or post a topic in the feedback section. This is not the topic to discuss these things.

Nobody is going to listen to me anyway. It's much easier to just vent uselessly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Schrödinger - How are our ideals for writing flawed? This place is meant for those persons who are writers in their free time or people who are or want to become writers. We take it seriously because it is our passion. How is it flawed? Because we ask for one sentence too many? Because we ask that you know how to write in English? Please. I won't hear it. If you have anything further to say that is this uncalled for, please do not do so in this thread. This is irrelevant.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Loki wrote:However, we should put more emphasis on quality over quantity, that is the vibe I got when I joined this forum.
I agree, Loki. That makes much better sense. Nod
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Fate Foretold wrote:Schrödinger - How are our ideals for writing flawed? This place is meant for those persons who are writers in their free time or people who are or want to become writers. We take it seriously because it is our passion. How is it flawed? Because we ask for one sentence too many? Because we ask that you know how to write in English? Please. I won't hear it. If you have anything further to say that is this uncalled for, please do not do so in this thread. This is irrelevant.
Nobody is going to listen to me anyway.

I lol'd.
Point proven. /stamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Schrödinger wrote:Nobody is going to listen to me anyway. It's much easier to just vent uselessly.
Any feedback given to us in the appropriate form is always taken into consideration. This type of off topic venting will not be considered or tolerated. If you have suggestions regarding the rules and regulations, post them in the feedback section or PM an admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Loki wrote:Application has my vote, it'll help bring more attention to the IC aspect of this forum (which seems to be one of the main reasons FoG was created). However, we should put more emphasis on quality over quantity, that is the vibe I got when I joined this forum. That way RPs aren't created just for the sake of reaching the desired post count, then pushing aside those RPs they were enrolled in so that they can play in the FoG one. I'm not saying that everybody would do that, but there is bound to be a few people.
That's a good point, Loki. For some reason it didn't cross my mind that some people might try to race to a high post count. An application might be what we need to do then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Just speaking again as "one more new person" with neither a high post count, nor the chance to do much ICly on this board, I'd be more than happy to provide a sample of my writing/RPs in an application format if it came down to that - it's really not that big a hardship or a problem, to be honest.
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Perhaps we just don't have any prerequisites at all then, and just allow everyone who wishes to to be able to participate? I can't really think of anything that would be all that appealing to require from people anyway, now that we've been discussing it.

I'm further moving along in the background story of this, and I would just like to say, I am only providing enough information for the bare bones and backdrop of your FOG RPs. In other words, much of this will be left up to you to expand on. I really did not want to make entire pages with lists of every single tiny detail you could ever want to know about this role-play. I didn't want it to be that strict, because with my experience in things along that line, they never do very well because people feel too confined and nervous that they will be doing something wrong. So, I very much am pleased with things so far, and it's shaping up to be very interesting.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:14 pm

I wonder if I should change Charlie's entire background to fit in with this role-play? If I did, it would certainly better tie all of FOG together, rather than having a RP idea spawn off of FOG and then a mascot spawn entirely separately off of FOG. What do you think? If that's what we decide to do, I already know exactly how he'd fit in with this perfectly.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm am a little late to this discussion (And it looks like the discussion has been beaten to death...but I had a thought, I just don't know how well it would work.)
Could it work to have participants in this particular 'game' be nominated by other writers here. There would need to be guidelines, but for example:
-A person needs nominations from 3 different writers to join
-No Campaigning!
-To fill a nomination form you must have 50 posts (or 100 or 10000, whatever.)
-To nominate someone a person must have participated in at least 1 IC RP with them. (Which RP would be a question on the nomination form?)

Maybe more, maybe less - but this should take some of the pressure off of our beloved administrators.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:59 pm

While I greatly appreciate and value your opinion, fellow ghost-hunting Aes, Very Happy I have to disagree with you on this one. I think it would turn into a bit of a popularity contest, and it would be awfully unfair in the end. I just keep picturing all these role-players who want in, thinking, "Well, I want to do this, but I can't campaign for myself, and so I can't ask people to nominate me, so I guess I just have to keep waiting." It'd be really frustrating for some people. It would relieve some stress from us Admins, since we wouldn't have to be bombarded by applications, but in the end, I feel it would not work out that well, to be honest.

Perhaps having at least one IC role-play post would suffice, but ultimately, that isn't asking for much, if we did want to require something.

I guess, with the failure of the RP Points I had originally tried out, I'm now more leaning toward not requiring anything of people.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Fate Foretold wrote:Perhaps having at least one IC role-play post would suffice, but ultimately, that isn't asking for much, if we did want to require something.

I would also like to recommend this course of action and possibly a simple RP sample. If nothing else, it forwards more people to the IC section.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Fate Foretold wrote:While I greatly appreciate and value your opinion, fellow ghost-hunting Aes, Very Happy I have to disagree with you on this one. I think it would turn into a bit of a popularity contest, and it would be awfully unfair in the end. I just keep picturing all these role-players who want in, thinking, "Well, I want to do this, but I can't campaign for myself, and so I can't ask people to nominate me, so I guess I just have to keep waiting." It'd be really frustrating for some people. It would relieve some stress from us Admins, since we wouldn't have to be bombarded by applications, but in the end, I feel it would not work out that well, to be honest.

Perhaps having at least one IC role-play post would suffice, but ultimately, that isn't asking for much, if we did want to require something.

I guess, with the failure of the RP Points I had originally tried out, I'm now more leaning toward not requiring anything of people.

Yeah, you are probably right - I think that you could make it work, but in the end it would end up being more stressfull to police the nominations that just taking apps in the first place.

Though I definitely agree with Loki, at least one other RP In Character should be required... regardless, I'm excited to see what you have come up with.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Last night, I was thinking about this idea of yours, and one of my ideas was that Charlie should somehow tie into the game, but I forgot about it after seven hours of sleep and six hours at work until I read your question, Fate. I think you should definitely do it that way.

I think it would be a good idea to require at least one in character post per person who wishes to join if there are any requirements at all other than being a member of the site.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Oh, well no worries, Kathryn, and I'm glad that you thought of that too. Smile I think that would work out really well.

Thanks for the opinions. It's still be discussed what we should do.

Well, as you can see, I've now created the forum and subforums for this role-play. Every bit of information I've written so far has been posted up in the sticky. A lot of it probably need to be revised and fixed, but feel free to read it now and let me know what you think of the idea!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Fate, I think this is a fantastic idea! This story is going to be so much, fun, and I can't wait to see where others begin to take this! Excellent job! I bet it took forever to type, lol.
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Awesome, thanks, Shades!! I'm happy that you like it. I really can't wait to see where it goes, story-wise, in people's role-plays either. Lol yeah, it took a bit of time, and lots of creative thinking. I read it all aloud to onenitedrive to get his feedback and opinions during creating it, and he had some helpful things to say and add along the way. It was fun to create though. Smile
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm so excited for this! I think I might be jumping in for the ride ^_^ lol, yay help from Tony! What a good guy! Very Happy
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Yay! Dance Aw, he is. ^_^

Now, I need to make the Character Sheets for your guys. :]
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Wow, I finally finished reading it. It sounds very nice, and THUMBS UP TO FATE for sitting down and typing all that up XD.

It looks cool and I like the idea of a literal FOG section.
That's awesome.

High Five
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Sweat Drop ^^ Thanks, Eternity!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 pm

I haven't read because I'm still going through the notifications in my email, but I was curious if you wouldn't mind my fixing some of the grammatical errors- if there are any at all- while I read through it? It would make it flow a bit better, and it would make it look a bit more... professional? for lack of a better word. If you'd rather I didn't, I won't worry about it, but if you want, I could definitely do that.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks, Kathryn. I definitely would appreciate it! Like I said, this hasn't been checked over by even me yet (which probably means there are dozens lol). It's just everything I have originally written. So, certainly. If you'd like, that'd be much appreciated. :]
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am

*sigh*

Alright, well the Character Sheets are now done, and you can fill those out whenever you like.

The thing you probably will notice though is, the sheets are meant to be in 2 columns, so all the information is grouped together on one side. So far, I have been unable to figure out how to NOT make it be in separate columns and for it just to be all on one line. I've tried asking on the help forum for Foumotion, but my question has gone ignored. I'm going to see if onenitedrive can figure anything out with it at all.

It's just annoying, mainly. You can still drag the drop-down boxes over to the right to read more, but it's just an unnecessary hassle, and it looks bad, in my opinion, when all that information is grouped together to the far right. So, I am sorry about that. I really don't know what they were thinking when they wrote the code for how that worked.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Good call on not creating a bunch of qualifications/red tape for entrance into the plot. It tends to put people off their feed and makes too much work for people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks, Heyseuss, and I definitely agree. Smile I'm not into the whole creating every minuet detail either. I think this way, it'll also be really fun too, since each role-play can have different variations in a lot of things.

Like, in one FOG role-play, you could have society in Caligo revolving around, say, Shade battles in a Gladiator-style arena, and that's their form of entertainment. Yet, in another, maybe they race hover bikes for fun.

Just small aspects like that, such as determining what society and life is like for the people of Caligo are really all up in the air. :] I think it'll also make role-plays a lot more diverse and interesting.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next