FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Steel Wings

+8
Nikolis
quakernuts
Shadow Moonseye
Chainlinc3
Guilty Carrion
Digital Muse
The Melancholy Spirit
Loki
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What ship should Neutral captain Alexander Lance purchase?

On Steel Wings Votele1031%On Steel Wings Voteri10 31% 
[ 4 ]
On Steel Wings Votele100%On Steel Wings Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
On Steel Wings Votele100%On Steel Wings Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
On Steel Wings Votele1069%On Steel Wings Voteri10 69% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 13

On Steel Wings Empty On Steel Wings

Post by Loki Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:28 am

As some of you are aware, I have been investing time and effort into making a futuristic RP containing elements from Firefly, Mass Effect, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, etc. The thing is that there is no direct storyline. Instead it is more of a choose your own adventure metagame and how it will play out is entirely dependent upon popular vote of the players. Whether it is fighting on the side of the government, engaging in space piracy, or simply taking miscellaneous jobs just to make ends meet, it's up to the players.

Some elements in the RP will be determined by dice rolls (which I will do) regarding success or failure if they are intricate and/or crucial. Finances also come into play with this RP, but I will take money distribution into my own hands, it'll be up to you as the player regarding whether you see something you wish to purchase. I will be providing lists of missions that can be chosen from as a means of making money, earning fame/infamy, and otherwise making things more adventurous. The higher the risk, the higher the payoff; but note that certain missions are bound to bring displeasure to people or organizations who will not hesitate to retaliate. And yes, death is a possibility with this RP. Ideally, I will have a core group of players as the crew, the captain will be an NPC controlled by the group, and there will be plenty of possibilities for other members to participate over the course of a mission which they submitted.

At this point, I am checking to see who all would be willing to participate with this RP. Though before you throw your hat into the ring, know a few things:

-As GM, my word is final. (Though I will be fair and open minded to opinions and negotiations.)

-While the captain is controlled by the group, I (as GM) reserve the right to have 51% of the voting. This will only be for the sake of settling debates, ensuring that the RP stays within the parameters I have envisioned, and to otherwise keep us on track. Only during extenuating circumstances will I exercise this power, the rest of the time my vote holds the same weight as everybody else.

-There may be times where this RP slows down due to certain missions being rather uneventful. This is a good time to focus on character development. If you feel that you cannot maintain your motivation during such lulls in the action, you may want to put some more thought behind whether or not you want to participate.

-This RP is still in the development phase, so it may be weeks before the IC is finally up and running. During which time there is still plenty for us to decide upon (such as which of the three captains and what ship we want.)

-There is no reserving spaces in this. Enlistment will be in the form of players creating up to two characters to present to the captain. Based upon the captain and ship we choose, I will be looking for certain elements to be filled. As with anybody looking to create a strong team, it is wisest to be selective rather than take the first ones who step forward. If your character(s) don't get selected, I will certainly keep them in mind for missions or future personnel.

-If you go a long time without posting and you don't inform me as to an absence/respond to my PMs regarding your tardy post, you will be charged with dereliction of duty and be kicked off the ship. Whether or not we are docked somewhere is irrelevant. I doubt this will be an issue, because I am very understanding about busy time frames and the like. I'll most likely take over control of your character for that post just to keep things progressing.

Hopefully I haven't scared you off with that list. Just ask the people who have participated in my RPs before. I am very understanding and easy to work with as long as you make an effort. Should we stumble across an impasse, I am more fond of negotiating rather than going with one side alone. Overall I consider myself a fair GM, so don't let that list above intimidate you.

So, if your interested, speak up so I know who will be voting for the RP's captain and ship over the next week or so.

Renegade Captain
Spoiler:

Neutral Captain
Spoiler:

Paragon Captain
Spoiler:

Tier I Ships

Freight Class
Firefly
The Firefly is the quintessential ship to starting out merchants or other space faring businesses. It's versatility is limited only in its offensive capabilities, otherwise it is ideal for transporting cargo, people, or wares from location to location. Most have been modified with secret compartments scattered throughout its cargo bay and a few living quarters as a means for smuggling. The UEF is well aware of this fact and make it a point to check for such spaces when sweeping a vessel, but there is always several variations that make it all but impossible to get them all.
Spoiler:

Grappler Class
Javelin
When the War of the First Encounter reached its peak, the Javelin was the answer to the problem of dealing with the countless Drex Mechs and Power Armor that filled the skies. Where most ships were rendered helpless when it came to close quarters combat, the invention of grappler ships not only compensated, but excelled. While the armor was comparatively lacking, the agility made them a menace; the ride was known to be rough as combat became more about darting from side to side rather than charging forward, but if you could imagine what it would be like being punched by a space ship then you would see the merit in such a thing. Once the war ended, there were thousands of grappler ships that went unneeded and were sold at relatively low prices. As a result, it has become the most popular pirating (to a lesser extent mining/utility) vessel to date. Since it isn't only pirates who use the ships, UEF cannot rationalize blowing them out of the sky on sight, but such ships usually warrant immediate investigation and sweeping.
Spoiler:

Cruiser Class
Corsair
The Corsair is considered the official police vehicle of UEF space. It isn't uncommon for civilians to get their hands on such a ship, but they must be careful when doing so. In areas with low presence of law enforcement, the ship will almost always be pegged as a UEF official and either attacked or fled from. On the other hand, within the protection of UEF patrolled space, they must tread carefully since even the most minor of offenses can bring with it the charge of impersonating an officer.
Spoiler:

Carrier Class
Bestower
Like the Firefly, the Bestower is renown for its versatility. The potential lies within its revolving launch bay for shuttle class ships. Whether they are independent miners, delivery/cargo carriers, general errand runners, or even small mercenary attack carriers, the Bestower can easily cater all their needs. Furthermore, if there is space within the ships internal cargo area, one of the shuttles can be moved there as a maintenance bay or simply to make space for one additional ship in the revolving launching bay.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Loki on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 11 times in total
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

On Steel Wings Empty Re: On Steel Wings

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 am

Though I've said this in IRC, figured I'd post my interest for the endeavour as well.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:23 am

I'm in Smile
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 am

I'm swamped, and yet you post this. Bastard.

I'm interested.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:48 am

Loki wrote:Whether or not we are docked somewhere is irrelevant.

That made me laugh. Anyway, if you didn't get this from the IRC, I'm totally in.
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Moonseye Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 am

Welll...piss. Here I was thinkin I wouldn't join anymore rps for a bit. But damn, I just can't resist me some good sci-fi.
Shadow Moonseye
Shadow Moonseye
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by quakernuts Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:32 am

...I have to echo everyone else statements...

I wasn't going to join anymore, and you post this you bastard Razz

Consider me interested.
quakernuts
quakernuts
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Trust me, I wasn't planning on bringing out this bad boy for a while what with my current list of RPs that I'm barely managing to keep up with. Unfortunately ideas such as this one just kept building and I knew I had to get it written down lest it either drives me mad. Hence why I said it'll be a little while until the IC actually gets up and running. There is still a good amount of stuff that needs to be built upon.

I'm working on the final stages of my captains' sheets, which will hopefully be done sometime this weekend. Once done, I will set up voting.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikolis Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:35 pm

I'd definitely be interested in joining such a voyage. If deemed acceptable by our gracious Captain, that is. Smile

Nikolis
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Sucks that I suck with Sci fi. This looks like a real winner. I look forward to reading IC Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:39 am

The time has come people. We now must make our decision under whose leadership we will be flying. I have included profiles in the first post as well as a footnote describing their strengths/weaknesses as well as what to expect.

This is a crucial point in the RP, so put considerable thought into this. The one we choose will determine the path we take. Discussion is highly encouraged and I have enabled vote canceling for the indecisive. Please post a note saying you have voted once you do so in order for me to ensure all interested parties had gotten to voice their opinions.

Note: On the stats, "*" is considered average.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 am

The Races

Terran
Appearance: Standard Humans
Average Height: 6 feet
Average Lifespan: 100 SEY*
Physical Characteristics: Humans. Nuff said.
Home Planet: Earth
Governing Body: United Earth Federation
Cultural Overview: Terran are most renown for their ambition for new technology. Even though they are the youngest of the three empires, their uncanny ability to adapt and develop not only stopped the Drex war machine in only a few decades, but also put them on a level field with the others in terms of power. Elements such as tradition and religion had been omitted from the scientific community since man first began to colonize space. That is not to say they've lost their place in society, but when it comes to technological breakthroughs, it is ultimately about the results.

Brief History: By the mid 23rd century, Terran had reached the point where they could terraform planets and construct orbital colonies. Mars had been the first planet made habitable while several first generation colonies were set up along the asteroid belt as mining colonies. Shaw-Fujikawa Warp Drives and Faster Than Light Drives had reached the point of mass production by this time, but they were only effective for small to medium sized vessels. If the object became too large, then the otherwise insignificant differences between alignments, power outputs, etc exponentially increased to the point where it would rip itself apart from the forces in play. In that same century though, man had produced Slipspace Drives as a means of rectifying this hurdle. Instead of traveling from point A to point B in a straight line, which up to that point was the most effective way to travel, a Slipspace Drive utilized massive amounts of energy to tear a wormhole in space, effectively overlapping point A and point B. These spacial anomalies are temporary and rapidly grow unstable once the energies of the Slipspace Drive are cut off, causing them to collapse. It was this technology that made it possible for Terran to begin settling distant solar systems.

It was at the close of the 24th century when Terran had their first encounter with other sentient life in the form of the Drex. It was a UEF battlecruiser that had been the first to make contact on a patrol mission to scout solar systems for further colonization. Instead they came across a Drex Cruiser Class ship that was also scouting the area. Because of the language barrier along with a lack of understanding for the other culture, the Terran attempt to communicate was misinterpreted as a challenge. The alien cruiser retreated into warp space only to return moments later with a Drex Titan Class ship. What was viewed as an effort to flex one's muscles was repaid in kind as millions of Mechs poured out of the capital ship and made very short work of the Terran Battlecruiser. Relations between the two empires only went downhill from there as war raged for the next fifty years until they found themselves at a stalemate and agreed to a ceasefire. The following two hundred years leading up to the present has been spent trying to strengthen the shakey truce between the three empires.

Military Capability: UEF's firepower consists primarily of projectile ammunition that has been used for centuries. Most are propelled by explosive charges such as gunpowder while larger ships are fitted with massive magnetic accelerator cannons. To a lesser extent, laser weapons are also used, but they are significantly more costly than their projectile counterparts. However, the true strength of the UEF is in their harnessing of AI and VI units. Among the three empires, the Terran are the only ones to master this technology and are able to integrate them into mechanized bodies (aka Androids). Virtual Intelligence units are quite common and easily mass produced. Artificial Intelligence units on the other hand are much more costly to create and are far more rare to come by; most of which are created from transferring a human mind into an artificial brain.

Common Languages:
English
Chinese

Kiri'ava
Appearance:
Armored Male
On Steel Wings 500555853967_lrg
Armored Female
On Steel Wings 500556648260_lrg
Average Height: 5 feet
Average Lifespan: 150 SEY
Physical Characteristics: Although they retain feathers, especially along their arms, they have long since evolved past the need for flight. As a result, their bone density is greater than that of traditional avian creatures, but are still less than that of the standard Terran.
Home Planet: Kurest
Governing Body: Temple of Aiur
Cultural Overview: The Kiri'ava are a culture deeply rooted to their faith, which places a strong emphasis on exercising moderation with all aspects of life. They do not worship a deity or any other idol, instead seeking their own path of what could be considered personal enlightenment. It is because of this that their faith does not lend itself to zealous behaviors, nor are there instances of Kiri'ava killing for their faith. Those who do not fully understand their ways of life often find it contradictory to their deceitful and mischievous natures, especially around other races. The Kiri'ava are known to twist the meanings of their words to gain an upper hand for matters such as contracts and trade agreements. To the followers of the faith who truly understand it, being nearly every Kiri'ava, knows that they are guided to perpetuate society and not lose their individuality.

Brief History: As far as anybody can tell, the Kiri'ava are the oldest known species who have evolved a sentient mind. They are also the first known species to venture into space and being establishing themselves in areas apart from their homeworld. Unlike the rapid expansion of the Drex, the Kiri'ava empire spread slowly ensuring their colonies were given the attention, resources, and time to flourish before moving on to the next. As a result, nearly every one of their colonies and planets are thoroughly established, self sustaining, and quite wealthy. Despite the nature of the Drex and the reoccurring conflicts with them, a Kiri'ava territory has yet to be taken or destroyed. Being that they are so well situated, each one packs too much firepower and defensive capabilities to take on without some serious allocation of forces and heavy losses.

Military Capability: The true might of the Kiri'ava empire lies within their plasma weaponry. When scaled to fit destroyer class vessels, salvos can eat through even the thickest hulls like a cutting torch through foil. Capital ships have more than enough power to glass entire planets. This has been one of the key deterrents that has prevented the Drex from pulling them into war. The concept of not only having territories taken from them, but rendered completely uninhabitable and worthless was humbling.

Common Languages:
Thresh
Traaj

Drex
Appearance:
On Steel Wings 500506804554_lrg
Average Height: 8 feet
Average Lifespan: 80 SEY
Physical Characteristics: The Drex are easily the most resilient of the three primary races. Their hides have similar characteristics to kevlar, able to take serious punishment before jeopardizing the vital organs beneath. Combined with their raw physical strength and insatiable drive for combat make them truly terrifying to face on the battlefield. Even if they are unarmed.
Home Planet: Rylar
Governing Body: Counsil of Rylar
Cultural Overview: Although the Drex empire is larger than the Kiri'ava and Terran empires combined, their society is broken up into a series of tribes that rule over portions of their territory. It isn't uncommon for the tribes to battle one another over matters of territory or honor, but it is treated more as a dual rather than a war. One of the most humbling sights one could see is watching two Drex capital ships square off as millions upon millions of Mechs engage. The skies literally light up from explosions and gunfire.

Brief History: Much of Drex history is a series of wars overlapping more wars. Even as they took their species into space, it became a matter of staking out as much territory as possible while still fighting for areas that other tribes have taken. It wasn't until they first met the Kiri'ava that they made an effort to unify. Although the two races have never entered into an official war over their centuries of being neighbors, there had been countless conflicts along the bordering territories. The truth of the matter is that the two nations are afraid to enter war with one another, both having a deep respect for the military might of the other.

Military Capability: Engaging a Drex battleship is the equivalent of hitting a beehive. While the ship itself has modest offensive capabilities at best, the true threat lies within the hundreds, if not thousands of mobile suits that are prepped to launch at a moment's notice. These traditionally come in two forms. Power armor class which averages between fifteen to twenty feet tall and is most often utilized to enter breaches in the hulls of enemy ships and inflict damage from the inside out. Mech class can reach up to a hundred feet in height, swarming enemies like piranha with similar results. Each can be outfitted with an array of weaponry ranging from guns, missiles, artillery, and even melee energy weapons. Seeing the sheer number of suits pouring out of a carrier class ship has the very real potential to break enemy lines long before they have been engaged.

Common Languages:
Gungarsh
Guthix

*SEY=Standard Earth Years

The Territories
(Ignore the territory labels.)
Galatic Map
Green = Terran
Red = Drex
Blue = Kiri'ava
Brown = Unstable Territories

Last edited by Loki on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:52 am

You wanted us to post our votes as well, right? I'm voting neutral.
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 am

Yes please and thank you.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quakernuts Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 am

Neutral for ZE QUAKER!
quakernuts
quakernuts
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 am

Yeah, being able to pick and chose jobs more nimbly with a Neutral Cpatain seems the way to go.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Moonseye Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:27 am

I picked neutral as well
Shadow Moonseye
Shadow Moonseye
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 am

Neutral.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Blackwood Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 pm

I am totally in for this.

Mr.Blackwood
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Vote for Captain!
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikolis Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

I voted for Drake Fuuren (Renegade). It seems I'm the only one to have done so. :O

Oh well, I liked the Neutral captain as well, but I could see having more fun with the Renegade in terms of role-playing.

Nikolis
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Blackwood Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 pm

I voted for the Paragon Captain, simply because it'd be fun to have UEF sponsorship.

Mr.Blackwood
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 am

Alexander Lance, overcome for his desire to leave his home planet for a life of adventure, traveled to the planet's capital where he applied the United Bank of Earth for a business loan. Thanks to several important friends he had made throughout his life, his application was accepted and he immediately set out for the capital's space port where he would prepare for the next step of his plan. Picking out the ship that would give his wings to his dream of making a living among the stars.

The cast of the die (literally) dictates that Alex managed to obtain a 130,000,000 cR after his loan. After selling all of his assets and investing his life savings into his dream, he ended up with 30,030,000 cR. Thus meaning Alex is indebted 99,970,000 cR.

Of course that will matter later on, for now just focus on the 130,000,000 cR we have at our disposal. So we are now to use that money to pick out the ship we want. From there we will pick upgrades, various supply packs, and shuttles if applicable. Not all the upgrades listed under each ship will be available at the start and said upgrades won't have quoted prices until after the ship has been selected.

So discuss upon which steel wings we will be flying. See first post for ship list.

Furthermore, I have updated the Races section to include history and culture. Please read up on them so that you further understand the world space. Especially if you are considering on applying as one of the races. If I feel they do not tie into the origin I have envisioned and you have not flushed out why, they will NOT be recruited.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am

I chose a bestower for it's versatility
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 am

I'm going with the Firefly. Never underestimate the convenience of vertical take off and the ability to hover in orbit.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Blackwood Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 am

It was a really, really difficult decision but I went with the Firefly.

Mr.Blackwood
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Hobo Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 am

Hi there Loki. I just noticed this and I am very interested.

Also, I'm totally a sucker for a Firefly.
Crazy Hobo
Crazy Hobo
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 am

Bestower. She's my favorite.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikolis Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:05 am

Gonna have to go with the Firefly, as well. The versatility, cheap cost, and just general availability of features that'll allow us to go in pretty much any direction while having a seemingly stable ship is ideal. I'm just curious how the warp drives differentiate from the FTL drives.

Nikolis
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I vote nuetral, cause I want in on this >.< Are our character sheets going to be much like the captain's?
Unicorn
Unicorn
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next