FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xenophobia--Love the Fear

3 posters

Go down

Xenophobia--Love the Fear Empty Xenophobia--Love the Fear

Post by Chainlinc3 Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Xenophobia--Love the Fear Xenophobia
I've decided to run this again, hopefully I can keep interest past the confusing opening this time.
Some reading material for anyone who wants a little reading:
(The Old Interest Check)

The year is 2050, thirty years after the Devastation that brought the world to a screeching halt, dyed the streets with blood, and eventually forced humanity to unite under one banner. The Terran Union, as the countries of Earth are now called, exist in numbered cities scattered all around the world. Well, the habitable parts of the world. Africa, Australia and virtually every island on the planet were rendered near uninhabitable due to the Taint left by the Devastation. All remaining armed forces were disbanded under the Terran Union, ushering in an era of peace and prosperity. Scientists even began to find methods of combating the Taint, allowing humanity to slowly begin retaking the lost lands.

Our story begins in City 997, sometimes called Mega Primus because it is the largest prime-numbered city, sometimes even called New York by those who remember before the Devastation. All around the city, average people are stricken by an invisible force-- Each of them going into severe cardiac arrest at the same moment.
Be these people.
Enter the Terran Union.
Love the Fear.

Background Info:
The world of Xenophobia is effectively Earth, 30 years after a catastrophic event known as the Devastation occurred (in 2020). Rumors about regarding the nature of the Devastation-- aliens, robots, ex-Soviet experiments, nobody knows exactly what attacked us. But no matter who tells the story, one thing is certain: Earth was brought to it's knees by entities labelled by the government only as "Xenos," who struck seemingly from nowhere, with weapons far beyond our comprehension.

The human race was only able to survive by banding together. Governments merged under the banner of the Terran Union. The combined forces of Earth were barely able to repulse the Xeno incursion, but at horrible cost. Millions were dead, billions more homeless. Whole continents were lost under the vile Taint that the Xenos had introduced to Earth-- a roiling, churning biological fog that devours all organic matter but, in a blessing bordering on the miraculous, cannot withstand contact with water. The Terran Union quickly moved to rebuild, creating massive, numbered cities on the ruins of previous metropolises. The project is still underway, rebuilding cities as the human race gains the population to support them.

As far as the public knows, life has returned to what it was like pre-Devastation. Technology, culture-- everything was put on hold by the invasion of the Xenos, and is only now beginning to start moving again. Rumors about of people reverse-engineering Xeno technology in secret, but the Terran Union is quick to assure the worried populace that all research is being performed in the publicly regulated programs in each cities' university. Overall, day-to-day life has returned to normal. The next generation is coming of age and replacing their elders, slowly purging the last memories of the Devastation.

The cities themselves are the epitome of the concrete jungle-- huge sprawls of cement and glass and steel. They look like a normal city today, except newer buildings, nicer overall design, and it's all walled in. Outside of the cities, life is tough. Everything is working against you-- mutated wildlife, bandits, not to mention the powerful storms that have become common after the Devastation. Ruined buildings are common, overgrown and decaying. A few people still live out there, shunning the cramped life of the city for the beauty of the wilderness. Some have even formed small settlements. These towns, however, are generally hostile to "city-folk." While not outright aggressive, they certainly don't go out of their way to help them.

Your characters would be average citizens in city 997, who are struck by the aforementioned cardiac arrest. In general, they should have led fairly normal lives so far.

I can't reveal too much about the plot itself due to spoilers, but I'll try and give you an idea of what you're getting into. Your characters are part of a plan laid far before they were born-- far before mankind even walked the Earth, even. As this plan comes into motion, they will be attacked from every possible side as people the world over become hostile to them. They will spend much of their time running, learning slowly how to fight back until they have an opportunity to turn the tide of the conflict.

Character Formats:
(No pressure to get started early, I just still have it around and figure I'll put it up for people who are interested)

User Name: A'dur.
Character Name: Keep it realistic. There's not much in the way of Ravek Firestorm in City 997/New York.
Age: It should be less than 35, due to certain plot points.
Appearance: What do they look like? If they usually wear a certain outfit, you can include that. Pictures are cool, but if your going with anime try to stick to the more "realistic" styles. If your picture has gravity-defying hair, I'll probably ask for another. Even if you do have a picture, I'd still like a brief description.
Bio: No books. I'd like some detail, but everyone should have had more or less normal lives so far. Technology hasn't advanced by leaps and bounds in the forty years between now and then. It's more or less the same, even the culture hasn't changed that much.
Personality: This is where you should put any effort you shave off of your bio. I want characters really fleshed out here, so that between the bio and this, I should feel like I'm at least an acquaintance of your character.
Other: If you really think your character is so special, tell me here.

Some Final Notes:
-This will be a fairly action-oriented light sci-fi RP, with growing supernatural aspects as the plot progresses. Conspiracies and coverups form a fair chunk of the plot. Despite plenty of combat, there will be plenty of non-combat periods and challenges to allow for character development-- this is by no means a non-stop bloodbath.
-I'm aware that I don't have much information out about this. I can't say a whole lot without spoiling parts of the story, but if you want to know, by all means ask. Otherwise, I promise you that I have this planned out. I'm not just bullshitting stuff and writing myself into a corner.
-I'll say it again because it's worth restating: Feel free to ask me any questions about the plot or the RP in general. I may not be able to answer for fear of spoilers, but there's no harm in asking.
-If you're unsure about joining, please give it a shot and hope for the best. If you find yourself disinterested, there will be plentiful chances to exit cleanly.

So, can I get some interest for this? If I move it to the OOC, I'll try and provide more background as to the world and historical events (or at least the versions of them that your characters would know).
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Xenophobia--Love the Fear Empty Re: Xenophobia--Love the Fear

Post by LittleSun1 Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Hello, LittleSun1 again, I played Nora Ashling in the previous incarnation of Xenophobia; I'd love to give her another try! I'll probably end up reusing bits of my old posts until we get past the point where we ended, unless some wave of inspiration strikes.
LittleSun1
LittleSun1
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Oh hello LittleSun. Completely forgot about PMing you for this... >.<

Anyways, HI EVERYONE ELSE WHO'S WATCHING THIS THREAD. I've gotten enough non-posted interest that I'll try and get the OOC up... soonish. Tonight will be a bit hectic, but I've been delaying piecing the post together for far too long considering how little time it'll take, so I'm still shooting for tonight. Wish me luck and all that stuff!
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Airedar Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Scribbles!
Airedar
Airedar
Mist