FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Images [Fixed]

+11
Guilty Carrion
Shadow Moonseye
MoiraofWords
Kalon Ordona II
Sighlent
Weiss
Descent
The Melancholy Spirit
Attie
Bird of Hermes
Gunneh
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Missing Images [Fixed] - Page 2 Empty Re: Missing Images [Fixed]

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 am

I really like both of the new fonts. Smile The only thing I think about everytime I see it is if it's possible to lengthen "FOG" so it's higher, mostly into the picture and a little over too. It looks so small for being the title. But I don't think it should take more space to the sides. Although I know that might be possible, or it might make it look like bad, so...Maybe it isn't possible and still have it gorgeous. ^^

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 05, 2010 7:05 am

There! It might not use the right background image and I couldn't find the right line-brush for the "footsteps of ghosts" portion, but I think we can agree that the fonts used on this version are perfect.

Let me know what you all think of the new banner. Cleaner, crisper, and much closer to the original, but how do you think it measures up?
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 7:40 am

Now I'm going to contradict myself. Now I want the FOG part a little smaller, not much, only a little, or maybe just a little more space between FOG and Footsteps of Ghosts.
Otherwise it's nice! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 05, 2010 7:49 am

Honestly, that strikes me as the beginnings of a, "A little more to the left. No, a little more to the right. Wait, a little more to the left," type deal, so I'm just going to leave it as is unless someone points out something else that could make it look better.

In addition, I've added a new "enter" button to the splash page, so check it out and let me know what you think of that, as well. The splash page's main image was put back up by Fate and is the original graphic, so we don't need commentary on that.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 7:55 am

Heh. Yeah you might be right there! :3
It's not like I sit and stare at the banner all day anyway. And I like the enter button. ^^

Back to top Go down

Post by Descent Wed May 05, 2010 8:34 am

The new one is superbly beautiful Weiss! Very Happy

Excellent work to all those involved!
Descent
Descent
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed May 05, 2010 9:43 am

*looks at new banner*

LOVE!!!!

Dark, eerie, crisp, stellar fonts, what's not to love? Don't change a thing!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 am

Very nice work, Weiss. I love the "flawed" effect to the "FOG" letters, it really adds character.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Attie Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm

The picture makes me think of the forest that Belle's father was walking in in Beauty and the Beast. That scared me as a child. ;[

Oh, but it looks great now. ^^ No complaints.
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed May 05, 2010 1:41 pm

The banner forest is quite a bit darker than the previous one, which makes the FOG emblem stands out a lot more because of the darker forest background. I don't think you necessarily need to change it, but I figured I'd point it out.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Mm. [Nods.] I didn't intend to try and replicate the original banner exactly. I was pleased that I managed to find the fonts used by Fate in her banner, because the fonts seemed to be the main issue everyone was having with my previous banner, but Kathryn's note that the image lacked the crisp clarity of the former banner made me realize that it was, indeed, quite grainy. Although that was the result of the light filtering in the image itself, I still didn't like how it looked when viewed in that respect. I decided something cleaner would appear more professional.

If you guys think the 'FOG' and 'Footsteps of Ghosts' text lines stand out too much, I can certainly dim them a bit to make them easier on the eyes. My eyes adjust to things quickly and easily and I have no problems tolerating things that others find difficulty looking at. So, in other words, I'm relying on the feedback from you guys to let me know whether or not the banner is up to par. At the very least, the completed version (if ever I actually complete it, since it seems there's always something or other in need of repair) will be there until the old banner is restored, so we need something that everyone can tolerate.

Issues like spacing and the like aren't a big thing at this point. I aligned the text near-exactly the way it was aligned in Fate's banner based on the image posted by Dagger. So, my current concern is just whether or not the contrast between the text and the background image is too much. I liked it because I thought it carried the feel of a glowing white ghost floating through a dark woods, but if it's difficult to look at, artistic justification doesn't mean much.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed May 05, 2010 2:29 pm

For me, it isn't that the emblem is too bright, it's that the forest is so dark, it doesn't stand out at all. However, that might have been the look you were going for! In the end, it is just my personal taste and you don't need to change it unless a lot of other people take issue with it.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Yeah, I actually darkened it to make it that way. It doesn't stand out in a, "Bampf!" kind of way, but I still thought it looked nice and blended well with the overall forum theme. I do appreciate the feedback, though. I'll see what the others think of it.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm

The FOG acts like a bug zapper. It draws away the attention from the all too dark background, so everyone's eyes are drawn to the light, and we walk into the light and "bzzzzzzzp". Shocked!

Well, thats how I feel anyway. The contrast is too strong, would be the point.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed May 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Weiss, I like the new image a lot better, and I really do like the fonts. I have two critiques.

I agree that the forest is a little too dark in contrast. You may want to lighten it a little, or take the original image and darken it a little less. I don't know how the original image looked before the adjustments, so I cant legitimately say whether you should have kept it as it was or used a softer hand in darkening it.

Another thing that may help is to make "FOG" less solid, or you could lighten the forest and make "FOG" a little less solid.

I actually really like the spacing between "FOG" and "Footsteps of Ghosts," and I like the smokey wisps that float off the text.

One thing that struck me when I first saw the entire composition was the size. It feels a little big to me, but I can't remember the size the original image was in relationship to the size of the forum any more, so I could be very wrong about that part.

EDIT
Silvan, being good or bad at creating graphics shouldn't play a part in how people feel about something that is graphics related. That would be like saying a person who cannot paint has no right to appreciate or dislike specific components or the entirety of a painter's work. ^^_^^

EDIT #2
I also really like the new enter button. It fits the image and the theme a lot better than the other one that I saw yesterday. What was the font, papyrus? I like that font, it just wasn't fitting.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed May 05, 2010 10:17 pm

I like it. -nods-
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith