FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of...

+4
Kathryn Lacey
Loki
Bird of Hermes
Gadreille
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of... Empty With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of...

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:17 pm

ARABESQUE
"It's all in your mind."

With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of... ArasArboretum2
As a way of introducing myself, I thought it would be fun to fill out a character profile. I tend to use the following form when I feel the need to flesh out my cast of characters. It really comes in handy when I’m writing an epic adventure or a complex mystery. I may or may not get the whole thing filled out before I have to go to work, but I will at least get it started.

So, here goes…

Character Profile
Birth Name: Robert Stephen Richard John (Insert last name here).
Nationality: I'm an American/Polish/Slovak/Lithuanian mutt.
Socioeconomic Level as a Child: Middle-class.
Socioeconomic Level as an Adult: Still stuck in the middle.
Hometown: Perth Amboy, NJ.
Current Residence: Kennett Square, PA, in the Philadelphia Metro Area.
Occupation(s): By day, I work as a manager for a big-box bookseller. By night, I slip on my freelance illustrator and writer costume, which really comes in handy when I'm fighting crime. I have the boots and everything! *j/k, about the crime fighting, not the boots*
Income: Just about enough to make ends meet.
Talents/Skills: Does being able to cook large batches of kettle corn count?
Birth order: I'm the youngest of two.
Siblings (describe relationship): I have a brother who I have not spoken with in over a decade. His choice, not mine.
Spouse (describe relationship): N/A
Children (describe relationship): N/A
Grandparents (describe relationship): My remaining grandparent is my mother's mother and I see her as often as I can.
Grandchildren (describe relationship): N/A
Significant Others (describe relationship): N/A

Physical Characteristics
Height: Six feet even.
Weight: One hundred and ninety healthy pounds.
Race: Caucasian.
Eye Color: Light brown.
Hair Color: Dark brown.
Glasses? Yes, I do wear them, when I drive and watch movies.
Skin Color: Pale tan.
Distinguishing Features: I've been told I have nice eyes and lips.
How does he/she dress? For work, it's business casual all the way. At home, I aim for utterly casual. However, it should be noted, I can certainly appreciate a sharp suit and enjoy slipping one on from time to time.
Mannerisms: Masculine, with just a dash of feminine for good measure. I'm not afraid to explore that side of my sexuality.
Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.) I was once a smoker, for several long years as a matter of fact, but I quit cold turkey. I tend to be a social drinker, since alcoholism runs rampant on both sides of my family.
Health: In good standing...I think. *checks pulse*
Hobbies: I have far too many to list here. Far. Too. Many.
Favorite Quote: "In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us. Don't let your eyes deceive you."
Speech patterns: I've been told that I have a great voice. It's deep and clear, without the Jersey accent. Thank the maker.
Disabilities: I have a mild case of OCD.
Style (elegant, shabby etc.): I've been told I have a very European look. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. *shrugs*
Greatest flaw: I'm a workaholic and a perfectionist. Oh, and, I can't spell to save my life. So, please forgive me in advance if I make a few mistakes along the way. I try my hardest to proof my things a thousand and one times before I post them, but, alas, shite happens. And, yes, I meant to write shite.
Best quality: Once I'm your friend, I'm your friend to the end. No questions asked.

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes
Educational Background: Let me give you a hint: I was able to tie a tie by the time I was 9. Need another? By the fourth grade, I thought becoming a priest sounded exciting! Hmm, one more? I spent most of the seventh and eight grade on my knees...at an altar, as an altar boy! Jeez. Some people.
Intelligence Level: I would say I fall on the higher end of average, which is fine by me. I have friends who are far too smart for their own good and, sadly, this usually hinders both their common sense and social skills.
Any Mental Illnesses? I'm sure one of the voices in my head will come up with an answer for this.
Learning Experiences: I learned at a very early age that a hot plate is most certainly hot when you touch it with your bare hand.
Character's Short-term Goals: Finishing this profile!
Character's Long-term Goals: Getting my fantasy and mystery novels published before I die.
How does the character see himself/herself? Usually in a mirror.
How does the character believe he/she is perceived by others? The Others...as in the undead? Wow. I'm not sure I want to be perceived by them. *runs away*
How self-confident is the character? Well, I wouldn't consider myself timid. Not by a mile.
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof? I would say a healthy helping of each.
What would most embarrass this character? Hmm, not much. Although, I do tend to blush when people pay me compliments. I just don't take them very well and I'm not sure why that is. I guess I was raised to be humble, not boastful.

Emotional Characteristics
Strengths/Weaknesses: My fierce commitment and loyalty. Chocolate.
Introvert or Extrovert? This may sound odd, but it depends on the situation.
How does the character deal with anger? Rather well. I usually take it out on a bag full of puppies. Oh man. I'm kidding people! It's usually kittens. Again, just kidding.
With sadness? I never feel ashamed when I cry. Never.
With conflict? I'm usually the sensible one. I tend to take the higher ground, when I can.
With change? I throw it in a jar and save it for a rainy day. Oh, wait, wrong change. Oops.
With loss? I guess it depends on what it is.
What does the character want out of life? Great friends, good health, an enjoyable job and a place to call my own. What more is there in life?
What would the character like to change in his/her life? Not much, not much at all. No. Really. I mean it. I'm pretty darn happy with the way things are at this moment in time.
What motivates this character? Greed. Deep, undeniable greed. But I'm sure you already sensed that in me.
What frightens this character? It scares me to think that someday I will look in the mirror and simply see a carbon copy of my father looking back at me. It's not that he's a bad man, not at all. It's just that I like to think that I am a unique individual, not a clone or a sheep...or a cloned sheep.
What makes this character happy? Very little.
Is the character judgmental of others? Not really.
Is the character generous or stingy? Generous.
Is the character generally polite or rude? Polite.

Spiritual Characteristics
Does the character believe in God? Yes.
What are the character's spiritual beliefs? These are far too personal and complex to post here.
Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life? Yes and no. Again, it's difficult to explain in just a few sentences.
If so, what role does it play? N/A

Character Involvement
Character's role in the novel (main character? hero? heroine? romantic interest? etc.): I firmly believe my role will change from story to story. I'm open to taking on any character type and I mean any. Be it male, female, elder or child, human, elf, hero or villain. Just say the word and I’m there.
Scene where character first appears: Well, I joined this board yesterday, on the 12th of February, in the year 2010. Although, this post didn't happen until a day later. So, February 13th, 2010 it is!
Relationships with other characters: This is yet to be known, but I do hope to make a few friends along the way. Perhaps, as I do, I will slot them in below.

1. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).
2. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).
3. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).
4. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).

Character Development
Start: I believe I began life as everyone else did, however, I'm still trying to figure out why there's this darn barcode on the back of my neck.
Middle: I'm a work in progress. Check back often for regular updates.
End: This is yet to be seen, but hopefully it will be a happy ending. If not, it better be a freakin' dramatic one!

Additional Notes: Forthcoming.

Last edited by Arabesque on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:47 am; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of... Empty Re: With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of...

Post by Gadreille Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:04 pm

*Applause*

Bravissimo! The most entertaining and thorough introduction I have ever read.

Best quality: Once I'm your friend, I'm your friend to the end. No questions asked.

^ My favorite part!

Congratulations, you merit a welcome from Antisocial Ryona Noel.

Welcome!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of... Empty Re: With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of...

Post by Bird of Hermes Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Greetings, Arabesque!

With most things grotesque, there often comes a bit of... WelcomeToFOG

Welcome to Footsteps of Ghosts!

Check out our rules, etiquette and "What is FOG?" sections.

If you have any trouble using the forum itself, try the FAQ.

If you have any questions, our staff will be more than happy to assist you.

Take a moment to browse our fourms and perhaps find a role-play to your liking, a place to receive input on your works of literature or simply to converse with people of similar interests.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Fantastic intro, especially the catchphrase of the subject title. Welcome to FoG and I am looking forward to seeing you around these forums, especially the IC. I'm guessing your characters are going to be everything but 2D.

Oh, and by the way...

Arabesque wrote:
Talents/Skills: Does being able to cook large batches of kettle corn count?

Yes. Yes it does. Very Happy
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Aww, thank you, one and all, for the warmest of welcomes. I simply cannot wait to dig in! However, I should probably finish this profile first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Does this mean that the questions you refrained from answering weren't purposely skipped? If so, you should let us know every time you update a new portion of it. I've found it to be an interesting read.

Welcome to FoG. Does your avatar depict yourself? If so, you looked mildly like one of my ex-boyfriends, except whiter, and you look less like an asshole. Of course, my opinion is extremely biased. ^o_~^

Anyway, you seem to be an interesting person. I look forward to seeing more of you around the boards.

Also, don't worry about your spelling. If I catch mistakes, I'll be sure to bring them to your attention, and I may even have a way to help you remember the proper spelling in the future.

I'm one of FoG's resident grammar/spelling ladies ((because knighthood really only applies to men, right?)). With my trusty crossbow, I help bring enlightenment concerning the beauty and wonders of grammar and spelling. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:30 pm

How does the character deal with anger? Rather well. I usually take it out on a bag full of puppies. Oh man. I'm kidding people! It's usually kittens. Again, just kidding.

Aw man, I know that is so bad but I couldn't help but laugh at it anyway.

Welcome to FoG, Arabesque! That is probably the most unique introduction I have seen on here thus far! I quite enjoyed reading through it and I feel like I know you reasonably well already.

Here's hoping you enjoy your stay with us!
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:45 pm

There, you see? This is why I like hanging out with the grown-ups. ^^ So much more to offer beyond "wanna hang out?" xD
(I just realized that I was accidentally witty, just then. Up there. *points* ^^)

Welcome to the FOG, Arabesque! cheers
I, for one, am going to very much like having you around.
You've definitely come to the right place for your eliterate role-playing needs.

Welcome again, and enjoy the swirly mists! Coolio

Oh and... the religiously-connotated thing one kneels at is spelled 'altar,' not 'alter.' Though it is likely that one might kneel to alter an altar, normally one does not alter an altar in the first place, except to put stuff on top of it or, um, to clean it afterwards. ^^

Last edited by Kalon Ordona II on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Kalon, you spelled "altar'" incorrectly in that last sentence.
Though it is likely that one might kneel to alter an alter, normally one does not alter an altar in the first place, except to put stuff on top of it or, um, to clean it afterwards.

Hermes, when you said you were going to start greeting members, I didn't think you would be stealing the image and everything. Still, it does save me a bit of time, but it makes my greetings seem less special when I can't have sole claims on the welcome banner.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Arabesque. I suppose using that profile template, the source of which I can't seem to remember at the moment, is a great way to make an introduction. I certainly feel like I already know quite a bit about you; not only because of your answers to the fields, but because of the way you answered them. It shows a lot of your personality.

I hope you enjoy your stay here at Footsteps of Ghosts. As Hermes already stated, there are plenty of places to look around for things to keep you occupied.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Hermes, when you said you were going to start greeting members, I didn't think you would be stealing the image and everything.

You can have the image back. I do not want to steal your special officer-ish things.

-hands over image-
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Well, it's not my image in the first place. It's Fate's! I just borrowed it in her absence. I don't mind if you use it. I was just surprised that you made such an official greeting. I figured you were going to, like, hop into the threads and be one of our spunky member-greeters who give the new users an idea of what we're like!

As long as I'm an Admin, I'll feel it's part of my job to properly greet the members, so I can take care of the technical stuff. Still, it would be great if you continued welcoming all of the new members, and even providing helpful links like you did here. I really appreciate the assistance. Aww
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47 pm

I really appreciate the assistance.

No problem. I need to get out of my box and greet people.

RAWR!

Well, maybe not like that... Though, I can't promise that I don't bite.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:04 am

Thanks, Weiss! ^^
Homophones; they get you every time. xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:43 am

Kathryn, yes, my goal is to answer every question. Oh, and, my lady, feel free to fire away! Just watch where you plant those arrows. My asterisk can only take so much.

ImmortalSin, it's okay to laugh at my dark humor, I do it all the time. However, it usually sounds - and looks - a little like this, "Bwahahahahahaha-ha-ha!"

Kalon, thank you for the correction. That's what I get for trying to write a few quick lines at work, while on my break, in a room full of chatty people.

And Weiss, thank you for the warm welcome. Hermes may have pointed me in the right direction, but I'm sure it will be you, the noble white knight, who will come to my rescue when I get lost in the FoG.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:03 am

Aww. You never answered my question. Does your avatar depict yourself?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:29 am

Hmm, since I'm sensing a negative vibe toward such imagery - and I most certainly do not want to get off on the wrong foot with the woman who wields the bow and arrows around here - the answer, for now, shall be a resounding, "Nope!" *slinks away, with one eye on said bow*

Oh, wait! I believe my profile is pretty much wrapped up at this point. I may add a few notes later on, but, for now, it's done, which gives me the freedom to play in the sandbox now. Yay! *runs off with bucket and shovel in hand*

Last edited by Arabesque on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:57 pm

My bow and arrows are reserved only for education, and I will never use them to bring harm to another. Think of my weapons like Eros' ((or Cupid's if you prefer)) arrows, except they only bring a love of grammar, not a romantic love. ^o_~^

Besides, based on your "character sheet," you already seem a lot more intelligent than than said ex, and intelligence is way more important than appearances. I also don't need to mention that though my ex is a complete jerk, he wasn't bad looking.

Need I mention that you also look like a cross between Zachary Quinto ((Sylar from Heroes; Spock from the new Star Trek)) and Dante Basco ((voice actor for Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender; Rufio from Hook))? That earns you awesome points. If you actually know who they both are, you get nerd points - not a bad thing on this forum. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Master Nerd in the house! I'm familiar with every single nerdy thing you just mentioned. I've watched Heroes, seen Star Trek: The Reboot several times, played the Avatar video game and I believe I own Hook on VHS. Now that last bit of news should earn me mega-nerd points. Right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Wait... Are you referring to a game of the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender, or are you referring to a video game of the new science fiction Avatar? They're two completely separate things! If you do have them completely straight, have you actually seen the animated series, or have you just played the game? If both, you earn extra nerd points.

The fact that you may have Hook on VHS is definitely mega point-worthy.

However, you lose points if you mixed up the science fiction movie with the animated series.

Anyway, you also earn points for getting the full title of the new Star Trek movie. I didn't know it had the subtitle of "The Reboot," but now that I do, I will use it ((after this post because it feels redundant to write it in that sentence only to mention the subtitle)).

Have you ever had people tell you that you look like either of those two actors in the past, or is that a new revelation? Do you agree with it at all? I know some people don't agree that they look like someone famous.

When I was fifteen, a couple of strangers told me I looked like Angelina Jolie ((from the Girl, Interrupted era, I presume)), but I had a really hard time accepting that. I thought they were just making fun of me when they asked if they could take a picture with me. It was... strange to say the least.

Last edited by Kathryn Lacey on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I have a feeling he was kidding about the Reboot.
*googles it on Google, just in case*
Yeah. ^^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:The fact that may you have Hook on VHS is definitely mega point-worthy.

What is this that I spy upon thine page of introductory notice, Arabesque? 'Twould seem the great and infallible Kathryn Lacey hast stricken upon an error in grammatical choice. Lo, here surely the rains will fall as the heavens weep; gravity may turn upon itself and the world might crumble at this impossible occurrence.

Ho, wait! Could it be?

Kathryn Lacey wrote:I didn't know it had the subtitle of "The Reboot," but now that I do, I will use it ((after this post because it feels redundant to write it in that sentence only to mention to subtitle)).

Surely there cannot be two errors of grammar in a single post by the great and mighty Kathryn, purveyor of grammatical justice! Alas, my eyes cannot be so mistaken, for they look upon her post and yet again behold the sight of such errors. My heart aches at this...

Anyway, yes, the movie is simply called "Star Wars" as we know it in America. The only title imdb shows as including a subtitle is the Malaysian one: "Star Wars: The Future Begins".

Let it also be known that I, too, own Hook on VHS. It is undoubtedly one of my favorite movies, though I can't claim to have watched it any time in the recent past. Still, Rufio was one of the first protagonists I witnessed to have that undeniable air of badassery about him. A credit to the caste into which many protagonists have since fallen, without a doubt.

I'd also like to point out that Arabesque never claimed that the person in the image is, indeed, himself. He did, in fact, state that it was not, though it was apparently under the implication that claiming such was only to preserve himself against your potential onslaught, Kathryn.

My point is thus: we still don't know if it's him or not. I'm inclined to say not, based on the pose, the clear application of make-up and so forth. On the other hand, it's possible that I could be wrong, and it is indeed him during an impromptu modeling shoot. [Shrugs.] Perhaps we shall never know, but perhaps the truth will out.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Surely there cannot be two errors of grammar in a single post by the great and mighty Kathryn, purveyor of grammatical justice! Alas, my eyes cannot be so mistaken, for they look upon her post and yet again behold the sight of such errors. My heart aches at this...

O, how I love thee... drama galore with a dash of subtle irony!
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:45 pm

-paints a target on Kathryn's head-

I never thought I'd see the day where our fair maiden of grammar made such a mistake. Let alone two and this soon! Excited

Who gets to do the honours? Should it be Weiss, for having picked up on the errors? Or should we all get a turn? Oh decisions, decisions... I'm still in disbelief!
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Kalon, oh... I thought it was actually a subtitle. What a shame... It works so well for what it actually is.

Weiss, the good thing about my mistake is that I can explain exactly why I made it. Well, not in great detail, but I know how it occurred, and that's what is important. I originally had it worded a different way, and I decided to reword it. Unfortunately, I rarely proofread anything I write after it's finished because I'm lazy. I obviously misplaced a word.

The second one isn't as easily explained. Things like that happen to me a lot. My brain gets stuck on a single word, and types it again instead of what I intended.

While I'm loathe to blame my mistakes on this, I also feel it could potentially be important to note that I have had a headache venturing toward a migraine all day, and I have had the added distraction of feeling queasy on top of it. I think keeping tabs on whether or not I'm going to lose my dinner takes precedence over making sure that my grammar is impeccable. After all, I definitely don't want to clean the mess if I can't make it to the bathroom.

I also want to note that I in no way intend to mock people when they make mistakes. I'm not saying Weiss was mocking me because I found the humor in the entire thing. I just wanted to verify that fact.

Sure, I had a bit of fun after Loki started my sniper-turned-archer gimmick for the grammar thing, but I really do intend to just help people understand it better. When they make typos, my telling them is just like my telling a friend that (s)he has spinach in her/his teeth so the error may be corrected. It's not to make people feel bad about themselves.

Honestly, I appreciate when people tell me I've done wrong, so I may correct it. I especially like it if they inform me of a rule or something that I didn't actually know because I am then able to ensure that I don't make the mistake in the future.

While I have a great grasp on grammar and spelling, even I make mistakes. I am only human, after all. I am not a robot of grammar. Actually, a robot would probably make more mistakes than I do ((or any normal person who has a good grasp on the rules)) - at least with today's technology.

Weiss wrote:
Anyway, yes, the movie is simply called "Star Wars" as we know it in America. The only title imdb shows as including a subtitle is the Malaysian one: "Star Wars: The Future Begins".

We were actually talking about Star Trek, not Star Wars. Nice try. While they're both good and while they're both science fiction, they're two different things. I feel inclined to add that I am more of a Trekkie than I am a Star Wars fan, but I enjoy them both. I know, I know. It's insane that I can find enjoyment from both. I must be a freak of a nature, an outcast even! ^o_~^

When I lived with my mother and her family, I could have claimed to own Hook on VHS, but I moved away, and I no longer have access to it, sadly.

Rufio was one of my first major fan girl crushes. I was roughly five years of age when I saw Hook, and I thought Rufio was sexy ((or at least whatever equivalent to sexy five-year-olds conceive)). He was right there with that Latino boy from The Sandlot who ran from that dog, Hercules, when he retrieved the baseball that had been signed by Babe Ruth.

It was only when I was older that I saw past Rufio's fan girl appeal to realize that he's a bit of a whiny bitch... I still think Dante Basco ((not then but now)) is sexy. He was sixteen when he was Rufio, and while I no longer find the young Rufio to be sexy, I find the actor these days to be. I also love his voice which I learned to love when I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender. It feels kind of wrong to have a fan girl crush on Zuko because he's only sixteen and all, but I do, and it's all Dante Basco's fault - and Zuko's bad-assery and redemption thing ((Maybe it's also that scar.)). Go Zutara!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm

We know you mean well Kathryn. Being on FoG for most of us is all about improving and trying our hardest to keep raising our own standards and you help with that by pointing out our grammatical mistakes.

I hope you didn't take offense. I thought I would have fun with the situation while I could because I don't think it will happen very often. But I am sorry if what I said was in poor taste, especially because of your headache/migraine.

I am not ashamed to admit that I too have a weird-sort-of fan girl crush on Zuko! At first he didn't stand out that much, but as the series progressed I couldn't help but love him. I somehow think that I won't find the real life Zuko so appealing though. But, I guess we'll see when the movie comes out.

Oh, and you guys are talking about the movie that has Robin Williams as a grown-up version of Peter Pan, right? I remember watching that when I was a wee little kiddie. We don't own it, unfortunately, but the school library did so we watched it quite a lot. Aww
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:14 pm

No, no. I already said that I wasn't offended. I laughed when I read everyone's commentary on my mistakes. After all, there were two in the same post.

I just wanted to verify for others that I don't mean it in bad taste ((though I've been called for bad taste in the past)) because this seemed to be a popular thread, and the more people who read it, the better. They've been notified for the future.

It also happens far more often than I care to admit. Just read my role play posts. They have the most text, so I proofread them less often than I proofread anything else. They must be packed with errors.

You're also seventeen, so it's really not so bad. I'm twenty, so the age gap makes it worse... Then again, I was sixteen when I first saw the show, so maybe it's not so bad. By the end of the first season, I really liked Zuko. I saw his potential for being a better person. He was a whiny bitch ((much like Rufio)) in the first few episodes of the show though the third season really saw a redemption for him. Let's face it, Book Three: Fire was mostly about Zuko anyway, and we really got to see his progress. It was awesome.

Don't read the following spoiler if you haven't seen the series or if you've only seen a portion of the series. If gives away important information.
Spoiler:

Also, The Last Airbender's Dev Patel is a really good actor. Have you ever seen Slumdog Millionaire? Though he plays a sweet guy in that movie, I saw him angry at one point during the film, and I have faith in him as the live-action Zuko. Besides, he's a way better choice than their first choice who was Jesse McCartney. If McCartney's music tour hadn't gotten in the way of the martial arts boot camp, we would have been stuck with him. :: gags ::

Yes, that is Hook. I love that movie even if my fan girl crush on Rufio was neutralized when I watched it when I was seventeen. It's a classic as far as movies-I-saw-as a-child go.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Actually, I did mean Star Trek. Unfortunately, since I hate Star Trek and absolutely love Star Wars, my mind immediately tries to "correct" any stray thought of the former by replacing it with the latter. Since Star Wars is obviously far superior to Star Trek, it usually isn't an issue.

After all, why would I bother talking about Star Trek - a bland and uninspired portrayal of intergalactic fare - when I could instead be talking about Star Wars, which is, once again, much better than Star Trek. [Turns and stares intently through the screen at any Trekkies who might be reading, hoping to clarify that he is, indeed, provoking their fury.]

Also, I'm more bothered by the fact that: (a) you feel so uncomfortable by the idea of being corrected that you need to explain why you made the mistakes in the first place and (b) you didn't take to heart the actual intent of my playful - yet direct - mockery of your crusade-like pursuit of flawless grammar.

I don't see what you do as being helpful. If anything, it's like following behind a child as he attempts to build a castle out of legos and pointing out every structural inconsistency that arises from his imaginative attempt at construction. "The tower is leaning. Gravity will make it fall." "There's a gap between some of the bricks. The rain will corrode and loosen the mortar." "The rooms are too small. There won't be any place to sleep."

Honestly, I see it as an uninvited assault. If someone asks you to correct their grammar, then certainly it would be in their interest to do so. If you notice that they consistently use a word incorrectly, then by all means ensure that they realize their mistake. However, making a point to post in a public thread assailing the tiniest of grammatical flaws is embarrassing. To illustrate that point, I figured I would embarrass you in the same way.

I won't tell you to stop what you're doing. I hope, though, that you will realize how unhelpful it truly is.

Moving along, I wanted to ask you something in the chat earlier, Arabesque, but it slipped my mind at the time thanks to World of Warcraft. You mentioned playing LotRO, so you have at least some experience in the field of MMORPGs. I was wondering if you were looking forward to any of the upcoming releases in particular. With Final Fantasy XIV, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Global Agenda all hitting the scene this year (unless I'm mistaken about SW:TOR), it seems nearly impossible not to be excited about one or the other.

With Star Wars being produced by BioWare, it's nearly guaranteed to be a smash hit, as evidenced by games like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins, both of which met with resounding success. On the other hand, I've heard it's formatted to play much the same way as Neverwinter Nights 2, minus the annoyance of constantly playing through the same storyline with each new game. For someone like me, who is a fan of expansive worlds that require exploration, the idea of being pushed along a linear path of progression is greatly less appealing.

For that reason, my eyes are glued to Final Fantasy XIV. Having played FFXI for a long, long time, FFXIV brings back some familiar races in a brand new world, no doubt expansive and filled with rich details and marvelous scenery packed with monsters galore and plenty of exciting quests and adventures. If it's anything like Final Fantasy XI in its glory days, I'll likely be addicted to FFXIV from the moment I get my hands on it.

On the other hand, Global Agenda is something the likes of which no MMO gamer has ever seen (at least, to my knowledge). A multi-player competitive shooter with mechanics like user-created factions and customizable armor. While I'm not sure if these particular features are actual implementations or just early-game promises made by the developers, the idea of a game that plays like Halo in a more exciting MMO environment seems thrilling. I don't know if I could sink into a game like Global Agenda the way I could into Final Fantasy, but the idea of building a faction from the ground up and warding off enemy assaults in a futuristic setting seems pretty damn cool in my opinion.

Let's just hope none of these games meet the same fate as Vanguard: Saga of Heroes from Sony Entertainment. I had such high hopes for that game and it flopped epicly. Whichever game I end up choosing from the new line-up, I'm praying it will be a long-standing one the likes of Final Fantasy XI and World of Warcraft.

I feel like this turned into more of a rant deserving its own thread, but I wanted the opinion of a fellow gamer. Since you've already earned a number of nerd points, there's a chance for a big bonus if you can throw me some interesting discussion. Wink
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Spoiler:

Arabesque, I apologize for turning your welcome thread into a fan girl-fest. XD

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I feel like this turned into more of a rant deserving its own thread, but I wanted the opinion of a fellow gamer. Since you've already earned a number of nerd points, there's a chance for a big bonus if you can throw me some interesting discussion.

Nerd points? Does that work like DKP? + 5 NP!

P.S. BTW: That was my sad attempt at tension alleviation.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:29 am

I think they work more like Brownie Points. You don't really spend them on anything, but they're used to power up your relations with others.

I suppose Nerds would be the Nerd faction, so each Nerd Point gained increases his reputation with those of us that belong to the aforementioned group.

If he continues to accumulate Nerd Points, he gains increased favor, perhaps unlocking special scenes and options that aren't available to the general populace. If he's lucky, perhaps he'll even reach Exalted status and become a member of the Nerd faction himself. [Nods sagely.]
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next