FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good day.

+4
Sunwolf007
Silvan Arrow
Loki
Acid Varrakin
8 posters

Go down

Good day. Empty Good day.

Post by Acid Varrakin Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:15 am

The subject heading is the hardest part of an introduction, closely followed by the opening sentence.

Right, I'm glad that's out of the way. Let's get started then, shall we?

Admittedly, I am somewhat intimidated by this forum - so much so that I haven't posted since my first arrival here, over a week ago. But, I suppose at some point I should bite the proverbial bullet, so here I am: Acid Varrakin, at your service.

16 years of age, studying English, German and Computer Science. I'm an immense fan of literature of all varieties, my favourite authors being George Orwell, William Gibson and Stephen King. I started writing last year, wrote a couple of short stories and a novella, which I submitted to a competition (slightly rushed, I'm afraid - I'd have liked another month on it...), and am currently awaiting response from the judges.

I've been RPing for years, but it's been very off-and-on, so I'm not terribly experienced, and I'm very rusty. I do, however, think I am a reasonable writer, so hopefuly I should pick up a few tricks from you immensely talented people. I used to go by the name of Acid001, if there's anybody here I've RP'd with before.

Anyway, I've been deliberating over this post for a long time now, and it's about time I left to actually do some RPing, or at least watch some.

See you on the playing field, so to speak.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm a huge Cyber-, Steam-, and Dieselpunk fan. I probably should have mentioned that from the start.
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Good day. Empty Re: Good day.

Post by Loki Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 am

Welcome to Fog!

Though I don't know why you'd be intimidated by us, your resume sounds like it's a lot better than a good number of members on this forum. Razz

I hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to seeing you in the IC section.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Varrakin Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks!

In that case, I'd better get down to IC and grovel my way into some threads. :p

Oh, and I love your sig. Very Happy
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am

Welcome to FoG!

And now...random dance party!

Boogie Boogie Boogie

And let me assure you that there is no need to feel intimidated. Everyone here is really nice, and we all share a genuine love of writing. Given your experiences and obvious love of writing, I'm sure you'll fit in very nicely.

Now dash over to that IC thread and enjoy!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Welcome to FoG! Trust me I was intimidated upon my arrival here too but you will find out, like I did, that this is a very friendly and open community. We love writing here and like Loki said you have done more with writing that some of our members. I am sure you will fit in just fine around here. What I did to 'break the ice' was go to the goof off section also known as the general discussion area and just responded to a bunch of threads to get used to some of the people around here. I would recommend doing that to anyone new. Anyway I hope to see you around and welcome to FoG!
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:42 pm

The General Discussion area is a really good place to get to know people and to immerse yourself into the forum itself. However, the best way to immerse yourself in the purpose of this forum is to join some role plays.

Welcome to FoG, Acid. I hope you enjoy your stay, and I hope that your intimidation of this place ends soon. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Good day. WelcomeToFOG

Yokoso!

That's Japanese for, "Welcome!" in case you're wondering. Anyway, yes, welcome to the forums. Welcome to the haven for all those who aspire to literary greatness! We here at Footsteps of Ghosts strive to improve our writing on a day to day basis, constantly interacting with other like-minded individuals of various backgrounds, ages, cultures, styles, etc. Diversity is the foundation upon which we intend to build the greatest roleplay community of all time!

Okay, so maybe I'm the only one who really aspires to that height, but that kind of enthusiasm is important, right?

Anyway, the General Discussion is a great way to get to know the users of the forum. It's frequented by most of the users around here, and you can chat around without needing to stay in character or discuss things pertaining to an RP. You can just kick back, find a topic you're interested in, or create a topic about something that hasn't been covered and you feel deserves its time in the spotlight!

The chat room is also a good way to get to know people in a real time setting. To get there, simply follow the Chat Room link at the top of the page. It isn't very populated most of the time, but that's because we don't have enough users who really want to sit in on some zany and humorous conversations that really allow us all to connect. I'm usually around in there, as well as Baker, Gunneh, and sometimes some more cheerful - and crazy - members like ImmortalSin, Melancholy, Moira and Hermes. So, feel free to drop in and enjoy a chat. It's worth it when the place livens up.

All that aside, it's good to have another [at least somewhat] experienced roleplayer in our midst. While your age makes it literally impossible for you to have been at it as long as some of us around here, I can tell by your writing that you will be a marvelous addition to our cast. Furthermore, your interest in subjects like English, German and Computer Science bring me back to a time when I was keenly interested in those things, as well!

Mind you, I still am interested. I just don't have as much free time to pursue my hobbies anymore. Alas, I digress.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay and find this place to be a perfect fit for what you're looking for in a role-playing community. Aww
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:32 am

Isn't it wonderful how the people who feel the most intimidated are the ones who make the longest introductions? xD

Welcome to the FOG, Acid! Don't worry; you'll fit right in. cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Varrakin Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:52 am

Kalon Ordona II wrote:Isn't it wonderful how the people who feel the most intimidated are the ones who make the longest introductions? xD

Yep, that's pure, shameless compensation. Like turning up to your driving test in your friend's Porche, trying to impress the instructor, because you couldn't be bothered reading the information book... :p

You guys are great at this; in most other places, the introduction forum is totally dead, bar the occasional abusive web-yokel who likes poking fun at newbies. You guys actually make people feel welcome. Thanks! :p
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 pm

My ears are burning... Weiss, was that just another shameful plug I saw?

So, hello there V and welcome to FoG! (Mind if I call you that?)
It's wonderful to see another newcomer that is close to my age arrive!

Let me assure you, you've got no reason to feel intimidated... Oh wow! I just realised you're from Tasmania! Finally, another fellow Aussie! This is awesome. You've just made me so happy! Boogie

Now we can vouch for both Australians and people our age! Oh the possibilities!

Okay Okay. I'll calm down now. '>.>

I really do hope that you enjoy your stay here and I'm sure that you'll find your own little niche soon. I'll be watching you closely mister... so you better have fun - or else!

Edit: I thought I should add that I live up in Queensland, if you were wondering. Aww
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:11 pm

That's ridiculous, Sin. I feel no shame for plugging the chat room. Thus, it was a shameless plug. [Nods confidently.] There's a huge difference, after all.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Varrakin Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I'll be watching you closely mister... so you better have fun - or else!
Wow. I started the thread intimidated, then my fear evaporated, and now I'm scared again. Just... Wow. :p

Nah, just kidding. It's always elating to meet fellow Australians on the internet - since half of the world seems under the impression that we only just got hold of colour television. And yes, people: colour IS spelled with a U.
Perhaps we should form a Union for the Ethical Treatment of Aussies on the Internet. UETAI. A disturbing anagram of I EAT U.

Ahem. Change of subject.

Queensland, eh? That's the farthest abroad I've ever gone - and it does count as abroad, since it's literally impossible to journey from Tasmania to anywhere else without a plane. Or a boat. Or some kind of large flying animal with a saddle, and I hear there's a severe shortage of those.

In conclusion: Yes, you may call me V.

"Aw, shucks... V... I have a nickname..." *coy giggling* Embarassed
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Whatever helps you sleep at night Weiss. Aww

Aw, am I not intimidating enough? My reputation as FoG's most fearsome member will suffer thanks to you. I thought we were supposed to be buddies. No

Wait... what's colour television? I kid, I kid. We watch VCR tapes on ours all of the time.

Oh, see I have the same problem. I want to spell things our way, but then people think I just stink at spelling so sometimes I'll resort to spelling things their way. Apart from words like jail... gaol just looks wrong, so terribly wrong. I'm assuming you always stick to our spelling then?

I call Vice President of UETAI! And yes, I live in the land of the cane toad. I'm impressed that you've already been up here. The furthest I've ever traveled was down to Canberra. I would love to visit Tasmania when I have the chance though. You guys get loads of rain right? That's my favourite sort of weather.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Wait... what's colour television? I kid, I kid. We watch VCR tapes on ours all of the time.
That made me laugh. I never get tired of your cute little quips, Sin.
I wouldn't mind being a founding member of UETAI. I can't be a staff member, since I'm not Australian, but I will be a firm supporter! I've had a few friends from down under, after all.

I also used to spell things in the Olde English fashion, such as colour and honour, but I quickly reformed under the pressure of social acceptability. Even now, Firefox tells me that they are spelled incorrectly. Firefox is looking down its nose at me, treating me like a lower individual. It's impossible to bear, I tell you! The weight of being a misfit; a social outcast! I can't take it. What does it really mean, anyway; that little u that serves as little more than an accentuation? Is it worth it? Is it worth the pressure - the staring eyes and the disgusted faces - just to type in that one unnecessary character?

Nay.

I will reform. I will spell things the way they are expected to be spelled. Honor will be honorable, and color will be colorful.

Such is the way of the world.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Varrakin Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:21 am

Not so, Weiss! The U is not merely some character, some spread of ink or combination of bits on a screen. It is not merely a rounding of a word's vowel sound. The U is a way of life - a stand against a language butchered by oversimplicity and a world spinning fast beyond our control! This rampant genocide of Us is merely a ploy to destroy our individuality! It's Newspeak!

While Microsoft Word still has an English (AUS) dictionary, I will never fold. I will never relent. I SPELL COLOURED WITH A U, AND I'M PROUD!

Okay, rant aside:

Yes, Sin, it rains down here. Boy, does it rain. But only in winter; the last few months have been a string of 30- and 40 degree days (also known as BLAST FURNACE DAYS) to rival even your Sunshine State. But in winter, lovely winter, our water tanks flood like the Nile. The children play naked in the hail - totally carefree of their blue lips and hypothermia - and lovers lie beneath trees, each hurling abuse at the other for forgetting the umbrella.

... Am I selling this, or not? >.>
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:27 am

[Chuckles at the images playing out in his mind as he reads the last paragraph.]

Acid, I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy your stay here even more than you will. It's good to have another user who can humor me. It must be a talent of the Australian youth.

Perhaps I will also reconsider my decision to conform. After all, what honour is there in conformity at the cost of individuality? Is it not the defining characteristic of mankind to stand out from the world that surrounds us? Indeed, perhaps it is time that colours and honour return to their former glory.

Thank you, my brother. You have shown me the error of my ways.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:05 am

Headbang Go Australian youth!

I'm so terribly sorry... I've never used that emoticon before and this was the perfect chance.

Oh boy, that sounds like the perfect place for me! Everyone knows I love carefree, naked, hypothermia-stricken children that play in the hail! That would be the most wonderful thing to sit back and watch after a long day's work. I'm sold!

You should be one of those people that guide other people in the right direction when it comes to making travel choices... a Travel Guide you say? How utterly ridiculous. That doesn't suit the job description at all. Disgust

But seriously, if it's anything like this - I'd love to visit some time. Shamefully, the only real time I've seen any live footage of what it's like in Tasmania is when I watched The Farmer Wants a Wife and one of the guys was from Tasmania. It looked very nice though. Lots of moss and greenery.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Varrakin Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:38 am

Oh dear... Why ever did you show me that smiley, Sin? I fear that now I shall overuse it until I am cyber-punched to death...

DowntroddenTeenager:
Man, this sucks; my parents got divorced today, and as they were leaving the courtroom, Mum got struck by a bus. Dad went over to help her, and as he was placing her body into the recovery position, a motorcyclist just slammed right into him. I had to wait for hours in the police station for them to take my statement, but then the station got attacked by terrorist bombers and I got so severely burned that I'm posting this from my hospital bed with my one remaining finger. Oh well; at least I still have my wonderful forum-mates to keep me company...

Acid Varrakin:
Headbang

Anyhow, I see you've got yourself a photo of Cradle Mountain; possibly the most beautiful place in the world - certainly the most beautiful place I've ever been. It was only slightly belittled by the fact that I was learning to ski at the time - that was NOT a pleasant experience. But yeah; in one direction lies arid bushland, in the other lies a mossy rainforest straight from some pulp fantasy novel. And looking up, as you can probably tell, is Caradhras itself - except without the evil wizard chucking rocks at you from the peak.

Cradle Mountain is nice.
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down