FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shekinah arrives

+3
Kalon Ordona II
Shades Of Gray
Shekinah
7 posters

Go down

Shekinah arrives Empty Shekinah arrives

Post by Shekinah Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Hey all,

My name's Shekinah though it's not my real name, I love to go by that name. I'm a 23 year old girl from The Netherlands who's been into rp'ing for about 4 years now. I really enjoy supernatural/ghost rp's with a great element of character building.

In my daily life I 'pretend' to be a student, as I am in the second year of the University of Rotterdam. whereI study Criminology. Aside from that I love to watch movies, I even work at a video store in the weekends, love to play video games, love to read and write poetry and (short) stories. Two years ago I even published a book

During the week I live in Rotterdam, but during the weekends I go back to my hometown called Huizen where my mom still lives.

I guess that's it. Any questions? Always welcome! I hope I'll have fun here Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Shekinah arrives Empty Re: Shekinah arrives

Post by Shades Of Gray Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Hello Shekinah and welcome to FOG!

We're always most excited when receiving new members and getting to know them. Excellent on the study of Criminology! How are you liking it so far? Think you'll stick with it? Ahh, the quantitative methods... And how exciting to have published a book! Would you care telling us about at it all?

And, as always, if you've any questions, feel free to ask myself, or any of the other moderators are, you'd be happy to help!
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Smile

Well, I really enjoy Criminology, I absolutely want to stick with it, it's always been my dream to study this and so far I am not disappointed. Funny you should mention the quantitative methods, since we are covering them this coming period... I had them last year too, but now we'll cover a lot more than what we covered last year. I think it's my least favourite subject and the only reason I passed it last year, was because of the qualitative methods... That's more my cup of tea Razz

As for the book: it's a really tiny little book, only 42 pages, combining both poems and short stories. It doesn't really have one subject, but if I had to give it one I think it's somewhat philosophical. A lot about people who are trying to deal with their weird and marginalized problems. Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:39 pm

lol, well good! Huzzah for finding the niche, Aww

I know there are a number of members here who are working on their own collective stories, poems and such crafts, though I'm uncertain if anyone has publish yet. (Other than you, that is, and congrats again!!) Was it a painful process at all?
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Awesome username! I actually know someone in real life named Shekinah.

Welcome to the FOG! I'm looking forward to RP'ing with you sometime. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Welcome to FoG, Shekinah! I agree that it's an interesting name, and I definitely like it.

Argh! I want to ask you so badly what your book is called so I can go read it, but I think that would be a bit invasive to your privacy, so I'll refrain. heheh I love to read all sorts of works, though. =3

I hope you enjoy yourself here. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:42 am

Hey, thanks all!

Haha, cool that you know someone in real life who's name is Shekinah Very Happy I read it in a book once and I instantly liked it, using it ever since.

About the book: well, I'm flattered you asking what it's title is, but I doubt you'll be able to read it Wink It's called 'Alles over niets' which means 'Everything about nothing' in English, but the book is written and published in Dutch only, so it would be a bit difficult for you to read it, I guess Wink But I do have some translations of my work, so maybe I'll post them here one day Smile

And about the process, Shade: no, it wasn't hard at all. In Holland we have publishers that call themselves 'printing on demand publishers'. This means that I don't have an agent (but I believe that hardly even exists in The Netherlands... not for writers anyway) and that I offered them my book for publishing, but it won't be sold in general (book)stores, unless I go to those stores myself and present them my book, askin whether or not they want to sell it. In this case, you can order my book at their site and then they'll print it at the instant you order it, meaning that you'll always have a new and fresh edition. They almost always publish any manuscript that's offered and you won't get paid very much: only 10% of the total price of your book. But, it's still a book!
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Shekinah is quite an odd name, even in fantasy settings, which makes me curious about which book you heard it in..

Anyhoo, welcome to FOG. *Is Criminology anything like they make it out to be on CSI?*

*=Attempted joke
Ragter the junior greeter
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:27 am

Shekinah was used in Therion's album Gothic Kabbalah which is, from what I’ve learned, based on concepts from the life of 17th-Century esoteric scholar Johannes Bureus. Thought it was an awesome name when I first listened to the album and have since loved it. If I recall all the lyrics, the name Shekinah is only used in the song The Perennial Sophia twice in pairs near the end; ‘tis a great song.

That is awesome you’ve got a book published. I’ve been debating, a lot lately, on giving up on the entire music idea and gathering up a collection of my lyrical poetry and trying to get it published… but who knows.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:29 am

It was one of Dan Brown's books. Either Digital Fortress or Deception Point.
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Actually the real meaning behind the name Shekinah is biblical.
It comes from the term Shekinah Glory, which is God's presence on a potent level--to the degree that even Moses could barely stand it, and the rest had to stay well away or die. It's what filled the tabernacle in the wilderness and then the temple after Solomon built it. Awesome stuff. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:33 am

Yeah, I know that Smile I also read once that Shekinah kind of means 'right hand of God and/or womanly side of God'. In the end, all of it's meanings I found were Biblical.

But I did read it in one of Dan Brown's books and I believe that's also where I read that definition, not really knowing whether or not it's true. Doesn't matter too: I like the name as a username, it has a good look hahaha. And it helps that it's often available Wink When I was younger I used to have different usernames for different sites, but I'm kind of tired of that now and I've been using Shekinah for pretty much every site I became a member of since a year of 5.

And well, in the end its meaning is beauitful, if you ask me Wink
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab'Sinthe Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 am

I remember a Shekinah from another RP site I was on... I wonder if that was you but I don't think so.. Perhaps though, were you the Shekinah from Malediction? Razz

If not.. Still, welcome to FoG! ^^ Great to have more Dutchii's around. =3
Ab'Sinthe
Ab'Sinthe
Mist
Mist

Male

https://www.youtube.com/NoOoDLe666

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:43 am

Nope, I'm not!

Oh noes, I have a doppelganger running around on the internet! :p;)
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab'Sinthe Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Oh noes! Fear the Dopplerganger! Shocked Yoda
Ab'Sinthe
Ab'Sinthe
Mist
Mist

Male

https://www.youtube.com/NoOoDLe666

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Ah, yeah... I may have ancestral roots in the Netherlands, but I don't speak a word of Dutch. ^^_^^;;

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down