FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me

+2
Reffy
NotAliceInHerWonderland
6 posters

Go down

Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me Empty Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Heyy Smile
Reffy suggested this site to me.
I'm new to RPing but I've been told its great fun and really challenging (Reffy).
I don't really understand the whole idea of RPing but hopefully I'll figure it out!
Anyway... hi!
I'm 15, from Uk, and I'm going to try do NaNoWriMo this year. (Though I'm still certain I'll fail).
I love reading, and I love writing, and as well as NaNo I'm going to start doing some challenges that people are doing on ff.net. Should be good!
As said, I've never actually RPed before so I know know much about them. But if it helps any, the novels I usually read, are supernatural/horror/bit of romance/bit of crime/etc. There the kinds of genres I usually write too. Though recently I've been trying a bit on fantasy too...
Soo anyways.... Razz
Hi all!

Last edited by NotAliceInHerWonderland on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me Empty Re: Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me

Post by Reffy Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Welkies! Very Happy

NotAlice is doing NaNo with us. I've been sharing notes and helping plan with her. Any ways, we got to talking and I was explaining to her about Role-playing and how it was a good challenge and usually a whole bunch of fun.

So here she is Very Happy If ya'll can help her and show her the wonders it would be awesome Very Happy Or suggest a small Role-play she can join perhaps? Very Happy She is a really good writer.

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me Empty Re: Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Welcome to FoG, Alice. It's great to see another face, and I am certain that anyone on this site would be glad to help you better understand role playing- including myself.

It's really rather simple. Some tips you may want to keep in mind are:

1. In real life, people are flawed and have weaknesses, so your characters should be flawed and have weaknesses, too.
2. If you're having trouble thinking about what to write, remember to include things that affect a character's five senses ((hearing, sight, smell, taste, touch)).
3. It's also good to include what your character may be thinking.
4. Try to respond to every interaction given by the other players that you feel you can.
5. If someone posts information about their role play, be sure to read all of it. It's just common courtesy, and it will help you in the long run. I usually read through all of the OoC and IC posts if I'm interested in a role play.
6. Never post in an In Character thread without asking.
7. OoC = Out of Character; IC = In Character

I'm fairly certain that because you are already a writer- and a good one according to Reffy- you probably already know most of these tips. Basically, any tips that are given for writing also apply to role playing. A good way to get a feel for the way it's done is to read through a couple of role plays to see how everyone interacts with one another.

I know for a fact that one role play that is looking for members is Spellsinger's Tale ((OoC Here)) made by Elric Gharial. I'm going to join, and he told me to try to get other members. I figure if you're dedicated and can post a minimum of four paragraphs/twenty sentences per post that you'll do just fine. It could be a good opportunity to test the temperature of the role play waters.

If you are interested in the game, you'll want to PM Elric because he seems to find it a bit rude if someone posts in his OoC without asking. I personally, don't feel the same way where my own role plays are concerned as long as my game is still open to new people, but everyone is different. Also, if you join, I could help you with any role playing information you may need unless it's about the world, in which case, you'd have to ask Elric.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Heyy Kathryn :]

I read through the posts on that link you mentioned. Does everyone just repeat the same scene just from different peoples points of view? I really don't know anything of how this works... I should have googled it, shouldn't it? Oh well. :p

You mentioned pming Elric, how would you pm someone?

IC/OoC, what's the difference?

Sorry, I've just got so many questions! Razz

Smile xxx
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Hehe Very Happy

IC - means you act like the character you make. You are to be "in character". Example: My duel ... I am Tabby - not Reffy. I am confident - not shy. I am lusting for blood - not Reffy at all!
OoC - means "Out of Character". In other words, you are allowed to post as you. No acting or pretending. This is usually where to ask questions about the roleplay or just generally talk.

(Try refrain from OoC on the IC post - it is irritating and ruins the immersion.)

Also, to PM some body. Go to their profile (Kathryn provided a link) click contact, then click the PM option. Its like sending some body a website based email.

Thank you so much Kathryn for helping out Very Happy There really is only so much I can explain, better to see it happening Very Happy

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Yes. Basically what happens is you write the scene from your character's point of view, and usually the creator/moderator of the role play will push the role play forward into a new scene. Depending on how strict the moderator is, sometimes the other characters will push the scene forward.

With introduction posts ((the very first post you make for your character)), you can write scenes that happen to your character before the scene that everyone else is writing. Basically, what I mean is what happens to your character that leads up to the scene that everyone else has written.

Oh! I forgot a tip! When I first started role playing in forums, I was given this tip because it really is helpful. Make a line of space between each paragraph- much the way that I do here. This makes everything a lot easier to read over the Internet. That's probably the main thing that is different between writing a story and writing a role play post. However, I would advise you to do this whenever you write anything in forums whether it's In Character or Out of Character.

Thank you, Reffy, for letting her know how to PM someone through their profiles and the difference between IC and OoC.

Another way to PM them is if you see a post of theirs, beneath their name and their avatar/picture icon beside each of their posts it gives you a bit of information about their gender, number of posts, etc. etc. Beneath all of that are some buttons ((one says Profile, another has a little person with PM on it, and another is a globe that links to their personal website- I'm looking at Reffy's since it's right above this)). If you click the PM button, it'll lead you right to the page where you PM that person.

I'm glad you found interest in the role play and decided to join. ^^_^^

{EDIT}
I just realized that you apologized for asking questions. I just want to let you know that the majority of people here are knowledge seekers of sorts, and asking questions is one of the best ways to learn something new. I know that I, for one, am all for helping you in any way that I can, so I don't mind your questions at all. Ask however many you need/want, and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities, and if I can't, I'm sure someone else can. ^^_^^
{/EDIT}

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Hey, NotAlice. (Wow, long name! What should we call you, assuming you don't mind if we shorten it? XD)

Heyy Reffy suggested this site to me WelcomeToFOG

That was really sweet of Reffy to refer you here. I'm sure your love for role-playing will surely grow as you begin to do it more often. ^_^ It's such a fun hobby to have! Kathryn had some really great tips. If you ever just need help with learning the ropes (if Reffy isn't available, since you two obviously know each other), you're always welcome to PM a RP Mod here or even and of us other moderators. Smile I hope that you enjoy yourself!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:13 am

Hi Fate Fortold, shorten my name to anything, I don't mind. Very Happy. Most people so far have just called my NotAlice like you did, but I'm not fussy... It is a bit long isn't it? If it's any easier just say Alice, even thoguh that's not my real name, I'll still know you mean me. Razz

Ooh... I've been talking to Reffy nearly a month now... cyclops It all stared because of NaNo. Though I wouldn't believe everything she just said up there. I'm not that good a writing! (Expecially when I don't know what I'm doing and if it's different to what I'm used to...).

Ooh wow. I just looked down the different emotes/smilies. Love 'em! Scare

Thanks Kathyrn Thank You Very Happy
I've posted something on that link too. I kept nagging Reffy while I was doing it though. 'Is this right?' 'What should I put?' 'What does it need to be?'

Thanks to everyone Very Happy It's good to know that there's someone there I can talk to Smile. Hug

Edit: You've probably noticed by ow I use smilies a lot! heart XD
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 am

Quick question, how do you get your pictures in the side bar bit? Is that the character sheet image or avatar image? scratch Confused...

Edit: Scratch that. Its mostly all worked out. Razz

Woo! Signature is finally working Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm glad you got it all figured out. ^^_^^ I'll be making my post in that role play as soon as I'm done checking my email. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:19 pm

I've wrote mine, I just don't know whether to post it yet or not... I've PM'ed him and he's accepted now I've changed a few bits.
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Once your character is accepted- which you said he did via PM- then you can go ahead and post what you've written. I'm a really slow poster because I multi-task a lot while I write my posts because it helps me think, so if you're waiting for my post, you'll probably be waiting for a few hours.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I've sent mine :S Razz I'm looking forward to reading yours though it might be a while till I can D=
I'm going to be out tomorrow and thursday. It'll probably be thursday night before im back on Crying or Very sad
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Aww. That's only two nights away. It's not too bad. ^^_^^ :: pats ::

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Two nights of hellll!
It was a nightmare. I've never been up so many hills. pale
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:50 pm

I bet it feels great to relax?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:08 am

It's good being back, I just wish that my toe wasn't so iinfected Sad. Its impossible to bend. Oh well. It would be better without all the blisters too...

I read you post on spellsinger Surprised it was awesome Very Happy

I've started a one-on-one with Reffy now too. Called the Secrets of Nottingham Manor. Should be fun. It's a bit of a distraction around NaNo too...

Ooh nearly November xD
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Alice! Welcome to FOG! Roleplaying is actually a quick skill to grasp. Remember that practice makes perfect, and you'll be a pro in no time. Just stick with friendly advice (like Kathryn's) and you'll be on the right track.

Also, I took a look at your profile and noticed you like music...and "more music" ( Smile ). If its music you want, Gunneh2113 and I are your friendly neighborhood DJs. Have a look in this thread when you want to take a break.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:28 pm

NotAlice..?

NOT ALICE?

I'll call you Alice anyways, Alice!

Welcome to FOG, sorry for shouting.
Ragter the junior greeter
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:17 pm

Why is your toe infected? ^;_;^ Do you have an ingrown toenail?

Aww. Thanks. I think my posts are just average, but I guess I'll let you think otherwise. ^o_~^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:11 pm

I see there's been a bit of awesome education going on!
Awesome job guiding the youngster, everybody! Very Happy

Nalice, please accept my belated yet hearty welcome. *bows*
Enjoy the swirly mists of the FOG! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down