FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance) Empty Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance)

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Hello there, forums. ;D I haven't posted any role playing in this whole entire site yet, so I figured I might try a onexone that I've had the worst hankering to play out. Looking for a guy character to play against, but of course playing multiple side-characters.

Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy/Sci-fi/Romance

All records of the Incident were lost nearly six decades ago, so no one can really say for sure what happened on that day. Those who follow science believe that they are an evolution, a new epoch of life that occurred because of some mutation or viral infection. The superstitious speak of them as life forms from another world here to claim their superioirty. And fanatic theologians say that they are spawned from the very gates of hell itself, sent to Earth to condemn mankind for its wickedness. Whatever they are, they're here to stay.

They're called the Apollyon, ruthless and savage killers and enslavers of mankind. They say that when the Apollyon first came, all technology was rendered ineffective. Modern weapons were useless against them, leaving man only guns and swords to fight against them with. Be it through some scientific reason or something supernatural, the Apollyon appear all but indestructible. Only a handful of men could claim to have killed one and lived to tell the tale. The only thing left to do was to run, to hide and hope that a miracle would be found.

But hiding only works for so long, especially when the Apollyon's only goal appears to be making the human race extinct. So, with population dwindling, mankind must prepare for a final struggle. But who would be willing to face an army of creatures that cannot be killed?

The few humans who have the strength or the courage to fight against Apollyon have gathered in their hidden cities deep underground, and talk is spreading that their miracle has arrived. When a stranger arrives who is rumored to have killed dozens, if not hundreds of Apollyon, the people finally begin to believe that there is hope for survival. This man could lead them to victory with his knowledge, and mankind may be able to reclaim their world and return to the life that was stolen from them. But there is one problem: he doesn't want to fight any more... he doesn't want to be a leader of men. With all of humanities hope riding on his shoulders, will a young man be crushed by his burdens? Or will he be forced to lead thousands of people to their deaths in a hopeless war?

Well, that's where I have it at. A need this reluctant hero.

As my own character, she's a refugee from the cities in the largest underground civilization, Harlan. A daughter of some high officials and a nurse at the only fully-operating building: the hospital. She's young and gentle, just trying to help those who come down from the upper levels to find shelter. I'll explain more about her and Harlan if you're interested.

So the directions it can take are limitless. The Apollyon don't have a concrete look, so we can decide on what they look like, it's up to you and I to determine what they are. We can plan it out before hand, or if you're interested in just finding out through the story, then that works too. ;D

Yay.
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance) Empty Re: Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance)

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 pm

I could do this.

I would think the fellow in question would have to be traumatized in some fashion by humanity to stop wanting to fight for it. Politicians and so forth, leadership of what's left of humanity and so forth.

It seems like it would be easy for someone to loose all hope and cynically look out for themselves, or nihilistically wish humanity would hurry up and end it; dashed idealism type of thing regarding human nature and so forth.

Back to top Go down

Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance) Empty Re: Weight of the World (Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi/Romance)

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Best fast response ever.

And I defiantly agree with that, and you're welcome to have anything have happened. I haven't thought through everything. <3 But maybe some leaders sent their own men to get slaughtered so they could save themselves and flee? I'm not sure, but I'm open to just about anything. ;D
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Teph wrote: Best fast response ever.

And I defiantly agree with that, and you're welcome to have anything have happened. I haven't thought through everything. <3 But maybe some leaders sent their own men to get slaughtered so they could save themselves and flee? I'm not sure, but I'm open to just about anything. ;D

Something along that line. Human nature is such that even when things are bleak, someone will stab someone else in the back to gain control. I think that this is what I'd say happened; someone used the Apollyon to get rid of a political rival and take control and the protagonist objects to this sort of thing. I'm suspicious of authority (particularly when authority professionalizes itself (business majors) and decides that the only skill it needs is telling people what to do) so that's how I tend to think anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Heyseuss wrote:
Something along that line. Human nature is such that even when things are bleak, someone will stab someone else in the back to gain control. I think that this is what I'd say happened; someone used the Apollyon to get rid of a political rival and take control and the protagonist objects to this sort of thing. I'm suspicious of authority (particularly when authority professionalizes itself (business majors) and decides that the only skill it needs is telling people what to do) so that's how I tend to think anyway.
That sounds perfect to me. I plan on playing a political figure as my character's parents, though I'd say they're on the less corrupted scale of things. However, I feel like collected soldiers and their higher-ups could begin to turn against the meeker society; instead of protecting, they're out for themselves. There's a million paths we could go down, really. All of them leading to the idea that society is where things went wrong.

I'm... so excited. <3
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 pm

That makes sense. The guy behind the soldiers may well be a guy that's keeping them living the high life a bit and encouraging them to think of their benefit, and kind of cutting the civvies loose. Robbing Peter, the average refugee, to pay Paul, the troops that are a political force to be reckoned with -- the other leaders and so forth can complain, but what can they do if it comes to an issue of force?

Kinda like West Africa, where the soldiers get paid bank to stay on the side of the despot. The parents may be deposed or of secondary power, trying to do more but not having the muscle to carry it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Exactly. In the midst of chaos everyone is out for themselves. There could be a ton of underground plotting and fraudulence going on throughout.

so so. Is there anything else you want to kind of iron out before starting? XD Am I too impatient?
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 pm

No, I think I'm cool. I guess the only thing to worry about is what the Apollyon look like.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Yea. And again, there's a thousand possibilities for them. They could be humanistic, a mirror of humanities flaws and lust to kill animated into these creatures or demon like creatures. They could be totally animalistic, something like wolves or bird-creatures to something like dinosaurs. Any particular direction you'd like to go?
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Hmm, no real ideas yet, and I think that needs to be figured out in some way. I'd go with that they are intelligent, I don't think they're human and we can work from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Agreed, they have to be highly intelligent, though at the same time very driven by their desire to destroy. I think the ability to fly is important, because I seem them as being beings of the air while the human are now forced under the earth. For some reason giant locust-like creatures come to my mind.
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Teph wrote: Agreed, they have to be highly intelligent, though at the same time very driven by their desire to destroy. I think the ability to fly is important, because I seem them as being beings of the air while the human are now forced under the earth. For some reason giant locust-like creatures come to my mind.

I like that touch, the flight thing. I'm just trying to work out a plausible origin.

I think that the idea that they came with a meteor crash might be worth exploring. The meteor was actually full of eggs or whatever hatched 'em.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:04 pm

I can't help but think of that movie... Evolution. XD

But yea, that sounds like a great route to go. I don't want to fall into the 'these aliens are just bloodthirsty killers' though. Keep them highly intelligent, using humans as slaves at some occasions instead of mindlessly killing them. Though they kill to feed? ...
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Would you two like me to move this into the One on One OOC?
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Oh, sure! I'm sorry!
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 pm

I think they oughta be putting the humans in pens like cattle (heck, like veal.) That's my vote, at least.

Maybe breeding some, like we would a horse or dog, to do certain kinds of work for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Like it. I think that's perfect. ... Is that it? Or did we not really iron out their looks... Maybe they change between themselves, but the humans call all the 'aliens' the same name?
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Teph wrote:Like it. I think that's perfect. ... Is that it? Or did we not really iron out their looks... Maybe they change between themselves, but the humans call all the 'aliens' the same name?

I'm tempted to say that there's a class of them that modify themselves and others, like a scientific caste that messes with DNA.

Despite that, they obviously have some sort of vulnerability to something humans can use, but I have no idea what, yet. Something innocuous but poisonous to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:30 pm

I like that... though modifying others? Like humans... I'm not sure about. Maybe themselves in order to blend with the environment or even other kinds of animals? but we can iron out their details as the role play goes through, yea?

I could start us off if you'd like. ;D
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Teph wrote:I like that... though modifying others? Like humans... I'm not sure about. Maybe themselves in order to blend with the environment or even other kinds of animals? but we can iron out their details as the role play goes through, yea?

I could start us off if you'd like. ;D

I think mostly modifying themselves. Somewhat, I think they have to breed themselves into it, they can't just -poof- do it. So yeah, it wouldn't work so much with humans.

Anyway, they also probably can't breed out the vulnerability, whatever it is. But they are, eventually, adapting themselves to Earth.

And yeah, go ahead and throw up the first, I'd absolutely appreciate it. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Well there we go. @.@
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:03 am

Okay, how do you propose my character make the entrance?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:13 am

I was thinking he could be in the group coming down? Perhaps with his own group of companions and what not? Or maybe he just comes down on his own, a few hours after the rest of the group? ...
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:16 am

Or bringing the group in. Because they got lost. Thanks! That helps. Wink

And they're under New York City or what?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:18 am

I'd actually say somewhere mid-states or even up to canada. Somewhere not by a big city. And I totally fell asleep last night. I'm not feel well. D;
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Teph wrote:I'd actually say somewhere mid-states or even up to canada. Somewhere not by a big city. And I totally fell asleep last night. I'm not feel well. D;

Okay, that's easier. Somewhere in the Midwest then. And they have an underground compound of some sort? Is it an old missile base or something?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:58 pm

It can be either or, but I'll go with old missile base that had been run down and they just made it into a series of tunnels to one area for everyone to stay kind of centered around the hospital and where generators are.
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Okay. I keep trying to write this post and keep running into more questions. I figured out the shape of the type of Apollyon creatures he'll be running into, the kind they send underground to hunt (modified terrestrial species) but I need to figure out what's special about my character.

Any thoughts? Is it just that he's fought them and gotten lucky surviving on his own, or is it something more?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teph Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Ohh, well I'm not really sure how to answer that one. I don't really mind it being anything. Maybe he did just get lucky, or maybe he was effected some way by the meteor that landed? Perhaps just a really quick and skilled fighter? It's all you to decide? XD <3
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Hmm. I'll work something out. Maybe some sort of early genetic experimentation on the part of the Apollyon, an attempt to enhance humanity that worked, but failed when it came to making control systems work. So in addition to physical enhancement, he can understand their communications, which are pheromonal in nature. They ditched the experiment and tried to clean out the population they were using for it, but some got loose.

How's that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next