FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions, yes of course…

+4
Kalon Ordona II
Ragter the junior greeter
Fate Flyer
The Melancholy Spirit
8 posters

Go down

Introductions, yes of course… Empty Introductions, yes of course…

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:45 pm

Figured that I might as well partake in such an endeavor, thus here I am sitting in a darkened room with but candles and the monitor screen for light and the music of Agalloch for company. A few of your around here already know who I am, though under another internet alias. One has been made aware of my identity; whether they have spread the truth to any others I’ve no knowledge. In reality I tend to go by a few different aliases as well, oft changing with my mood or what is inspiring me at the time.

I graduated from high school June of two-thousand-seven, and since haven’t been inside of a school aside from two times of returning to the old one to visit a couple friends who had not graduated. Rather, it was to visit one specific person but those days have long past as we’ve not spoken in well over a year now. In honesty, I doubt I’ll ever end up in college. The only reason I would go would be for writing or music. Neither seems very likely. Currently don’t have a job either, still looking for one since the only place that would hire me so far I can’t work at until I turn twenty-one next April.

Preferring the left-hand path I tend to be darker than those I meet, but not for a sake of seeming mysterious or anything. Darkness is more illuminating to me; I welcome the darkness of my own mind and invite it into my consciousness. Some might say that I focus too much on the darker aspects of reality, though some of these may also misinterpret darkness as inheritantly evil; which it most certainly is not. I am a Naturalistic Pantheist in religion and Dark Pagan in ideology, thus holding a great reverence for nature; I both love it and fear it. Something many would call a heathen, which is conceivable.

Nature, music, literature, and the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom are some of the most prevalent aspects of my life. Antisocial by nature prefer solitude much of the time, to be alone with my own thoughts; preferable in a natural setting with thought-provoking music. In terms of music, I listen to a great deal of things ranging from Classical, Ambient, Traditional Folk, Atmospheric, Film Score, Orchestral, to a combination of metal ranging from Symphonic, Melodic-Death, Folk, Gothic/Doom, Experimental, and some Industrial.

These aspects of my life, perhaps ironically so, play directly into my hobbies for they are one in the same. At the core of my being I am nocturnal by nature, and I prefer the dreary atmosphere of winter above the vibrancy of summer, though I welcome spring and autumn, the latter more so than the prior. Too do I prefer the eldritch stimulation of the frozen moments of summer, a love of the cold one might say. I am also fascinated with the cosmos and the wonders and beauty of the Universe as a whole down to the very essence of what makes us what we are as a species.

I’ve no fear of death, for I believe that there is not a thing as an immortal divine spirit trapped inside my body. I believe that death is simply as it looks: the end. Our conscious drifts from this world as ceases to exist, and yet in an odd twist of ideological reincarnation I do not believe this to be the end. For we are made up of particles that come from all corners of the Universe, once even part of great and magnificent stars. When we die we shall decompose, and from this decomposition the matter that once made up who we are will become dispersed back into the Universe to breathe life, per se, into a multitude of new entities. It is a cycle from which I am honored to be a part.

In terms of role-playing, I prefer to partake in things with deeper meanings and complexity. Darkness is typically a must, and if it does not exist in high enough quantity on its own I will generally add in a substantial amount with my own character. A range of genres is fitting, from Dark Fantasy to Gothic Horror, Modern Fantasy (Dark of course), Modern in a sense of every day people, character studies if one will, and Science-Fiction or Futuristic as well. Also many in between, creating a genre hop-scotch is a goal of mine that I find to be greater even than the common genre-leap.

I think that is enough for now, as I’ve run out of things to say for the moment. Of course, questions are welcome.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Introductions, yes of course… Empty Re: Introductions, yes of course…

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 am

Hey, Melancholy. :]

Introductions, yes of course… WelcomeToFOG

It's 6:30 in the morning as I'm typing this, and I just woke up, so I apologize for being too tired to reply to this entirely. I do love your long introduction though. <3

You certainly sound like an interesting person, and I really like that you aren't afraid to be who you are. I also admire what you favor in your role-plays.

*drifts off into a short sleep as she's typing this, without her coffee still* Ah, excuse me. Embarassed

Welcome, Melancholy Spirit! I've come to know you a little so far, and I do apologize for not getting back to your last PM yet. Believe it or not, but I also still have to get back to LunarScorpio too, and I'm really falling behind in my PMs (since I'm spending so much of my free time working on a drawing for Ryona - but it's fun!).

I hope that you find FOG to your liking. I'm sure the color scheme probably suits you? Smile
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Holy...you seem cool, and I have no way to make my greeting better then your intro.

So, with that, welcome to FOG, Madam Melancholy, the lounge is to the left!
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Hehe, yes the color scheme does indeed suit me. Quite well, I might add. I’m not worried about the pm taking a while; I understand that you’ve hundreds of other things to do in your time on and off this site.

Thanks, both of you. Smile

Madam, Ragter? Ah, is it the signature? ~chuckles~ Seems I’ve always something that makes people think I’m female. Be it a username the populous is unaccustomed to, an avatar, or something in my signature. Oh well, I'm used to it and (perhaps strangely) it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Welcome to the FOG, Melancholy Spirit! I have a feeling you'll fit in around here exceptionally well. cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:09 pm

The Melancholy Spirit wrote:Hehe, yes the color scheme does indeed suit me. Quite well, I might add. I’m not worried about the pm taking a while; I understand that you’ve hundreds of other things to do in your time on and off this site.

Thanks, both of you. Smile

Madam, Ragter? Ah, is it the signature? ~chuckles~ Seems I’ve always something that makes people think I’m female. Be it a username the populous is unaccustomed to, an avatar, or something in my signature. Oh well, I'm used to it and (perhaps strangely) it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

There is a big fat "Male" in your mini profile! If it is any consolation, I've always thought of you as the gender you are Wink

Oh, and welcome!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:20 am

Thanks, Kalon.

Yes, that is true Ryona. I was mostly just reflecting upon how people seem to often confuse my gender online. And, it would indeed be a consolation, if I needed one that is. As said, the confusion hasn't ever bothered me. Thanks, all the same though. Smile

~bows in an extravagant manner to the both of you, and those before you as well~
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Was...was the male there yesterday? If so, good god am I going blind...

Anyways..I dunno, when I saw Melancholy, I instantly thought of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya...and, well, thought you were female.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:08 am

Though I've already seen you around a bit here and there, I'll throw in my own "welcome to FOG," and I do hope you come to love it here! As you can see, many friendly folks... Wink
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:42 am

We've already met through the Post Yo' Pics thread, but I would like to give you an official welcome.

Welcome to the FoG! I am quite sure this place will suit you well, and I think you're quite an interesting character. If you like literature, may I recommend you read the books The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and Phantom by Susan Kay? I suggest you read them in that order, honestly. I think, if you haven't already discovered them, you would possibly enjoy them as they delve into the darker corners of the mind as far as the Phantom himself is concerned.

Anyway, I can understand your love of the darker sides of life. I, too, went through such a fascination, but for me it was only a phase... Well, sort of... I mean, I was largely fascinated with darkness in all of its beauty, but now it is not such a large part of my life. After suffering through several tragedies in the last four years, I realized that I wanted to immerse myself in lighter things. I recognize that not all darkness is bad, but it feels better for my sanity to be largely more interested in light that dark- though I do love a nice, dark book and/or role play. I've been quite obsessed with all things The Phantom of the Opera as of late... >.>;;

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:58 am

I have not read them yet, but will defiantly give them a looking into. Smile

For me, it isn’t so much a fascination as a lifestyle. As mentioned, I prefer the left-hand path in life. There is a quote I am quite fond of that speaks of the Gothic Aesthetic which for the most part fits me very well. I’ve had tragedies in my life since I was quite young, so maybe I’m just more comfortable with those situations and don’t get bothered by them. I already spoke of how I don’t fear death, but I also have never really been bothered by it. I’ve had family members die and, sure it was sad to realize they were gone but when everyone else was breaking down I seemed (to others) as if I didn’t even register what happened.

In the end it comes down to finding the path that best suits us as individuals, though I believe a steady balance is a good place to be. I’ve came across as a figure set in perennial gloom and depression before, but ‘tis not the full story. I have times where I don’t seem gloomy at all. But those are usually when I’m around friends and allow myself to step outside of my individuality and such things. The darkness that I prefer comes out more when I am feeling most at home, in solitude. Also online, because I am not directly influenced by the energy of those around me, that and I have more time to be contemplative of things over the internet. Also, it comes out in my writing; particularly my lyrical/poetic writing.

Oh, if you like all things Phantom of the Opera you should look into the version of that song by Nightwish. A simply masterpiece, the duet between Tarja and Marko is breathtaking. The live performance on their End of an Era DVD is beautiful. It is easily one of my favorite songs the band has ever done.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:17 am

Okay... One thing... You'll find that I'm a grammatical enthusiasts of sorts, and I would just like to point to one thing before I continue with my reply. I know you meant to say "definately" rather than "defiantly" in your first sentence, but that would have been wrong, too. It's actually spelled "definitely" because the root of the word is "finite." That's how I learned to spell that word correctly because I used to spell it with an "a," too, but knowing the root word has aided me in never failing to spell it the proper way.

:: coughs ::

I'm glad that I was able to lead you to something you had not considered before this point. For me, they were quick reads because they sucked me into them, and I was very enthusiastic about them. If you enjoy them half as much as I do, I will be happy.

Hm... You continue to use the term "left-handed" by means of a direction, and I find myself curious about your meaning. When I first saw it, I thought you literally meant you were left handed ((to which I thought, "Me, too!")), but when I saw the context in which it was placed, it started the wheels in my head. Is it something that was originally used to be the opposite of something like the "right hand of God?"? You did say something about a quasi-pagan religion of sorts, and I'm wondering if this is what you mean?

What is the quote you believe fits you so well?

Perhaps living with tragedies from childhood does allow you to look at life differently. Ever since I started high school in 2004, I seem to be faced with one tragedy after another. It was like clockwork at first, every nine months, but now it's been staggering and random.

However, like you, I was always viewed as the "strong one" of the bunch. When my older brother died, my mom and my grandma fell apart, and I had to hold them up along with my own crumbling, but I've been surprisingly calm with the last few deaths I've had to face... to the point where... I know I feel it and am saddened by it inwardly a bit, but I wonder if people look upon me and think I'm cold and unfeeling. Sometimes I don't think I've really felt it enough because of how badly I felt it when my brother died, but I can't account for it. I really don't like to be left alone with my thoughts, so I haven't really tried to examine and understand what's going on with myself in those areas.

Don't get me wrong. Just because I feel upset when those around me die, doesn't mean I fear death for myself. I only fear a painful death. I'm always hoping that when I die, it will be quick, and I won't feel a thing. I know how unlikely that is, but one can hope.

I agree with you. Everyone has their own paths to follow. They simply need to find the one best suited to them. I've followed several paths before deciding upon this one for myself, but I know there will still be many forks in my road when I will have to decide which direction I wish to take.

Just because someone enjoys the darker side of things, doesn't mean they have to maintain an aura of gloom. Likewise, someone who loves the light will not always be happy. =\

That reminds me... :: goes to make a post in the Post Yo' Picture thread ::

Argh! I was about to be like, "Find it for me on YouTube!" but then I remembered that you also have dial-up, so it wouldn't be so easily done... I'll find it myself. What's the exact title of the song they sing?

Despite that minor frustration, it's nice to know that I'm not the only person left with Dial-Up while others have their wonderful high speed internet...

I like you. You're interesting, and you make me think which is also good. Though I don't like to be left alone with my thoughts for too long, I do like to be made to think in a conversation with interesting people. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Ah, yeah sorry about the grammar error. I tend not to reread things that I type, since I just go with the flow of things and then look for obvious once along the way. Sometimes they slip through though, unfortunately.

While the entirety of it does not hold true to me, I follow the left-hand path more than the right. Here is a think that talks about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-Hand_Path_and_Right-Hand_Path

“Gothic is sophisticated barbarism. It is a passion for life draped in the symbolism of death. It is a cynical love of sentiment. It is a marriage of extremes such as sex and death. It uses darkness to illuminate. It believes duty is vain, and vanity to be a duty. It is the compulsion to do the wrong thing for all the right reasons. It is a yearning nostalgia for the black days of a past that never was. It denies orthodox reality and puts its faith in the imaginary. It is the unholy, the uncanny, the unnatural.” - Gavin Baddeley describing the gothic aesthetic.

I’ve been a very introspective person for several years now. Enjoy spending time analyzing things and figuring (or trying to) why exactly I believe the things that I do, why I feel the things that I feel and so forth. For many years I didn’t bother with such things, and can’t honestly say when I started to. Though I believe I was around the age of seventeen, perhaps eighteen.

A painful death is something I think most people fear, after all I can’t think of very many people who enjoy pain to that extreme. There could be those out there that do though, really know way of telling unless I were able to meet everyone past and present that called this world home. ~chuckles~ That would be a fascinating thing to learn, though very tedious in its process.

Oh, I openly show when I am happy. Usually that comes out when someone talks to me in person or through an instant messenger. I just don’t have any documentation of it. Though, as I said in the other thread there might be some after the 10th up for you to see.

Oh, I don't mind finding it for you. In fact, I already have. Smile Dial-up is a pain but I've come to learn to deal with it, and it has taught me a good deal of patience along the way as well. Here is a link to the live cut from the DVD I spoke of (My favorite DVD I own): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7WrKfw6n0

If you'd prefer that I find a video with just a simple picture or something so it loads faster I will.

Interesting, thought provoking conversations are (to me) some of the most valuable things we shall come across in our time here. In life, that is. Though in our time here on the forum works just the same really. ~chuckles~
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 pm

I rarely reread things I write, too, so I can understand making silly typos and such. Just because I love grammar doesn't mean mine is perfect.

The difference between the two makes sense, and it's rather interesting. Thank you for linking that for me.

I really like that quote. It's also interesting. I find myself getting more from it each time I reread it.

I've examined a lot of things about myself, so I know a lot of the reasons for why I do the things I do, and knowing myself has also allowed me to know others better because humans are incredibly predictable for the most part. I simply don't like to be left alone with my thoughts any more because sometimes the things about which I think are too much for me, and they inspire emotions I don't want to feel at that point in time. I know there is still a great deal of information for me to unearth about myself, but I've sort of put those examinations on hold.

In a morbid sense, I have always wondered just what it would be like to feel oneself dying. I don't really want to experience it, but at the same time, I could never possibly fathom what it's like unless I do... It's sort of like... how I want to know what it feels like to have a penis, but I don't really want one dangling between my legs...

Yay! Thank you for finding that for me. I actually don't mind that it'll take a bit longer to load with them on stage because then I'll be able to see their movements and expressions while they sing and play their music. It will make it more powerful this way. ^^_^^

I have a few friends with whom I always seem to have thought provoking conversations, and I value them a lot. I do like my mindless chatting about superficial things, but I need my in depth conversations, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Yes, for in truth none of us are or can be perfect. Yet in the chase for perfection we may obtain excellence. Another quote, not directly, and I forget by whom sadly.

Ah, I can understand that. I’ve come to be able to control my emotions a little better than a lot of people I know (in real life) so it doesn’t effect me as bad. Actually, delving into the proper mood for writing gets me into worse conditions. I don’t know about others, but when I write I try to put myself into a trance of sort where I ‘become’ the character, mood, or theme for a piece. Oft having darker characters, or just overall dark themes, it can sometimes get into states of mind not easy to get out of; more than a few nights with problems getting to sleep because of that. It is probably good to put examinations of the self on hold at times though, allow us to take in the external for a time so that when we return to the internal there is more to discover.

Odd, I’ve pondered the same myself. I’ve also pondered strange things such as what it would feel like to actually thrust a blade into someone else. The feeling as the flesh tore and warm blood not my own falling unto my own flesh, the expression upon the other persons face, the emotions going through my own mind. Something that for many years now I’ve wondered what it would be like, though it is (thankfully) an thought I wouldn’t act upon.

It’s no problem. I actually just got done watching the DVD a short while ago. After mentioning it I had the desire to do so; ended up falling asleep during four of the last songs though. Sad

Mindless banter is a good thing from time to time, again keeping balance in life. Were everything to remain a constant thought provoking subject it would become stagnant and boring, same to be said if it were to remain mindless banter. Variety is truly a great thing.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:07 pm

I used to be really good at controlling my emotions in public, and I still retain most of that skill, but a small portion has been lost. When I'm by myself, I don't have that ability for some reason. I think perhaps it's because I have more incentive to control myself when others are around because I don't want people to know what I'm feeling. I know how awkward it can be to try to comfort someone when you cannot possibly fathom how they're truly feeling.

I've actually thought about such things, too, I just don't admit it because most people don't really understand. Just like a friend of mine thought I was absolutely disgusting for watching with fascination as a former cat of mine ate a small rabbit. I honestly think she thought I may be a bit demented after that, but she never shunned me for it. I also wish I had watched when they removed my first ingrown toenail because I felt absolutely no pain from it. I was going to watch the second time, but my toe wasn't numbed enough, so the entire process hurt, and I know I would have reflexively jerked away every time he brought an instrument to my toe.

Anyway, yeah. I've also wondered what it would be like to take a life or to at least wound them badly, but I know that they're just curiosities about the situation and the feelings I would get and the things I would see. I know I would never be able to bring myself to actually commit such an atrocity. I don't even know if I could do it if it was in self-defense, honestly. Then again, I've never been placed in such a situation, so I've never had to make such a choice.

I do like to watch things happen, though. Not like... movies and such. I just have this fascination with movement. If I see something that catches my eye that I think is beautiful or interesting, I watch it for as long as I can before I make people uncomfortable because they realize I'm staring at them. It can be something as simple as the way a hand moves to something more complex like a feline tearing into the flesh of a young rabbit.

I know I haven't fully outgrown my darker fascinations, but my fascination with life itself had broadened considerably.

Aww. That reminds me of last night when I took my medication for insomnia, only to realize that an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series was on, and I couldn't make myself stay awake long enough to watch it. It was one I hadn't seen, too. =\

Okay. I just listened to the song to which you sent the link, and I honestly am not sure I liked it very much. I will admit that it was considerably better than that 2004 movie Andrew Lloyd Webber made because he cast people for that who couldn't sing for shit, but I'm probably spoiled because when my lover came to visit me, we listened to the original Broadway production version of the songs from that musical on his iPod... and they were amazing... Nothing has topped it in my mind.

"The Phantom of the Opera" sung by the Phantom ((Michael Crawford)) and Christine Daaé((Sarah Brightman)) {5:03} They sing this when he first brings her down to his home beneath the opera house.

I also suggest you listen to "The Music of the Night" sung by the Phantom ((Michael Crawford)) {5:15} He sings this song to Christine when they finally arrive in his home.

If you want to listen to other songs by the original cast, I suggest you just type "song title+original Broadway cast" to get it. There's a list of the songs here. The songs are absolutely beautiful. They give me chills.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I’ve been lucky enough (I guess you could say) to have a couple friends throughout my life who were similar in terms of being ‘sick’ or ‘twisted’. I use those terms relative, of course. I think such thoughts are more primal instincts and curiosity than anything. Just, only a few people (or so it would seem) allow themselves to admit to such things and not be afraid of them.

I am the same way really. Though, the since I’ve never been in such a situation either I can’t say for certain what I would do. It is one of those things that remains a mystery, and I personally hope it does so for the remainder of my life.

Observing things is very interesting, I love doing it myself. Can’t really explain the fascination with it, but that is part of the beauty in the end. Well, in my opinion.

I’ve seen a lot of debates between the Nightwish version and the version for the Broadway production. I myself have always preferred Nightwish, though in the end it comes down to what appeals to the individual more. Marko and Tarja are two of my favorite vocalists and I’ve always preferred the music itself of Nigthwish more. Unlike a lot of people I met I listen to every aspect of a song from the lyrics, vocals, to all the music. ‘Tis one reason I listen to the kind of music I do, because generally there is a lot more going on than just a couple different instruments being played with minor skill, talent, technically, melody, and so forth.

So, yeah, it isn’t for everybody and I understand and respect that. I have heard from most that prefer the Broadway version that it is much better than the film score from the movie though. I have never seen the movie or heard that version myself though. There was also a version done between the vocalist from Manowar and the vocalist from Holyhell but it wasn’t that great, mostly because the music was bland and Manowar’s vocalist didn’t fit at all. I don’t even know if Holyhell are together anymore though, which saddens me because I liked the few things I’d heard from them.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 am

Last intro I make today. I must admit, I'm spent, after about 15 today I'm catching up on. However, I will do the best my mental faculties can mange. (Meaning, don't expect much [or anything for that matter]).

Cheerio and top o' the morning good chap. This fine sight of the... thing should, illumine the flowers over yonder. We like flowers because they are... salty, and delicious. We make flower... juice here. I like to eat the talking bees, because I'm George Washington Christ.

I eat pie, on a regular basis, and have to a party, when I am awake on Tuesday. When I orange my shirts, they feels sunflower. Algorithms, make me ticklish.

Welcome to the boards... I am a bad man. -__-
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 am

:: nods :: I also hope that I'm never placed in a situation like that. I wonder if psychics get the full force of sensation of being killed or whatever when they have their visions? I know some of them talk about how they can feel what happens, but I don't think it's in the same physically painful sense... Even though I'm also immensely curious about that sensation, too, I'm glad that I was gifted with the minor ability of feeling the vibrations people give rather than having a full blown psychic deal. I don't know if I'd handle much more than what I have very well.

I can't explain it, either. I'm not sure I really care if there's an explanation or not. A lot of times, when something catches my visual interest, it's like I've opened my eyes for the first time. Like... until that point, I haven't really been looking at anything. However, when something like the movement of someone's hands or their lips or leaves swaying on a branch or something, I feel like I'm suddenly seeing things more clearly than I've ever seen them. I don't think I really look at the details of things often enough, but I also know that if I did, I would never see the bigger picture, so yeah... Balance is a necessity.

Well, when I first heard the woman singing, I thought she was doing all right, but I don't think the man's voice is suited to the part. I know they were just singing it as a song, but the Phantom's voice should never be that gruff. I also think that it's painfully obvious how they don't practice that song enough because they were both like... incredibly out of breath for it half the time. I can understand that. I mean... for the Broadway production, they have to have three different women cast as Christine- not including the understudy- because of the vocal demands of that role. It's an intense song, but I think Nightwish should train themselves a little better if they're going to sing something like that properly.

I used to be more into metal and rock than I am now. I mean, I still love all sorts of musical genres- minus polka- but I'm more into things that I can actually sing these days like pop, alternative, R&B, country, some rock, etc.

Oh! Have you ever heard of Savatage or Trans Siberian Orchestra? I think you would really enjoy them. They're rock opera! ^^_^^

The problem with the film version of the musical is that Andrew Lloyd Webber wanted a young, sexy cast, so he chose people who were attractive and had star power rather than people who were actually right for the part or musically talented. He could have had a cult classic if he had just chosen people who were musically perfect for the part because the movie was really good if you can block out the craptastic singing. Maybe if someone could take the time to put the original Broadway cast's score of the music over the actual movie's score, it would be all right...

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:03 pm

It is an interesting question. I, personally, am very skeptical at psychics in the first place but that is just my nature really. I’m skeptical about pretty much everything. ~chuckles~ I do find things interesting though, and just because I’m skeptical doesn’t mean I am closed minded. Actually, I love looking into such things because they are both fascinating and the mystic qualities. Just, as said, I am always skeptical of it. Cautious nature, I guess.

Yes, balance is definitely a necessity (by the way, I just realized that last ‘defiantly’ error was the result of my computer trying to correct my typing). While I love looking at the details of things, to figure out exactly what makes them what they are, I also thing that some things don’t need to be examined, rather they are better taken in as the bigger picture so that one can fully take in the beauty of the moment. Analyzing later is fine, but when in the moment I think it best to simply remain in the moment and cherish it.

Understandable, I personally like it more because I prefer when a band does a cover that they don’t simply stick to the original but make it (at least somewhat) their own. And to me, Nightwish did just that. I liked the gruff voice Marko has because it was a step away from the contemporary view of the Phantom and I thought it added a bit more edge to things. I obviously prefer hearing things done differently than most people though so, once again it comes to preference. Also, in terms of them being out of breath that DVD was recorded at the last concert of a huge tour. Any vocalist won’t be at their peak during the last show of a lengthy tour, not after having to get on stage night after night for a few months or more. Plus, Tarja was actually sick at the time. So she had to do her best to get the vocals out through a cold. Not exactly an easy feat. Though her years of classical training helped, most average vocalists (mainstream) couldn’t do it as well as she did.

Pretty much all I listen to is European Metal (aside from a few bands such as Agalloch and Kamelot, who’re both from the States). Other than that I listen to Classical, Film Score, Orchestral, Ambient, Atmospheric, and such; never been into modern rock at all, or alternative, pop, or modern R&B… though I do like older R&B from a few decades ago. I have practiced vocals since I was a sophomore in high school, but was never good at clean vocals. Of course I also hate my voice in general so that doesn’t help. I can do the shrieks/rasps/growls of heavier stuff decently but I still hate how it sounds, again with the natural hatred for hearing my own voice.

Yes, I’ve heard of them; Savatage being an old Traditional Metal act (basically) and then dropped that to make Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Own one of their cds, and my favorite song by them is Wizards in Winter. They’re far from a favorite, but good none-the-less. Smile

Seems like the kind of thing that is going around anymore though. Filmmakers are often going for younger, sexier casts so they can appeal to the populous and get a hit instead of doing something for the better of the movie. ‘Tis why I refuse to watch most films that come out anymore. I prefer to watch the lesser known films often played on The Movie Channel or other places. I really love that channel, seen a lot of great obscure and foreign films that focused more on character study, mystery, suspense, and such over simple gore, sex, and action.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down