FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Evening

+4
Ragter the junior greeter
Sunni Ookami
Avalon
Psyche
8 posters

Go down

Good Evening Empty Good Evening

Post by Psyche Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Top of the evening to everyone. I'm pretty new here, just a few days old and a little late on my introduction. I've just settled into my college dormitory and am fairly overwhelmed by it all. Hopefully I'll have ample time to write and role-play, though I don't expect I will... At least, not any time soon.

My favorite genres are fantasy and science-fiction. Now, I'm not really into space-age settings, but I'm willing to give anything a shot. I enjoy macabre style, though I haven't been privileged to participate in that for a very long time. I hope to find some gruesome writers here.

I am not a fan of the god-awful first person perspective. I enjoy every character's insight, rather than seeing things so blatantly biased and, well, boring. I understand that that point of view is meant to challenge a person's intellectualism, but I frankly cannot stand it. So, I'll stick to good ol' third person.

When it comes to stories, I generally find myself attached to the antagonists. That's right, I like the baddies. I just think they're more interesting, and they have more depth. The emotional scars and the mental disorders all fascinate me, as do the elaborate plans of the super villains, and such.

That is all I really have to say... Or, all that I can think of.
Psyche
Psyche
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Good Evening Empty Re: Good Evening

Post by Avalon Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Wow, you and I have a bit in common.

I'm a few days old here, into fantasy and sci-fi, and also enjoy the 1st person(took me 3 tries to spell that just now) POV.

Welcome to FOG, though I guess I shouldn't be saying that.
Avalon
Avalon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunni Ookami Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:31 pm

Good Evening Siggy

Wow, I forgot I drew this. xD

Welcome.
Sunni Ookami
Sunni Ookami
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:20 am

I agree, that 1st person perspective...I just don't get how anyone could RP with that style.

ANYWAYYYYYYYS, welcome to FOG, an acronym for Following Orc Guts Very Happy
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 am

Greetings, Psyche!

Good Evening WelcomeToFOG

Oh, wow. That sounds exciting and overwhelming! I hope you'll enjoy living in the dorm! I've never experienced living in one before, since my college doesn't have their own dorms, so we've (my fiancé and I) just lived in apartments together.

Some people just prefer third person in writing, which is just fine. I just finished reading a book (A Million Little Pieces) that was a memoir, so it was written in the first person, so I've gotten to enjoy and appreciate that a little more, though I still do RP in the (EDIT - I MEANT 3RD) third person, unless my partner(s) and I agree to try something different.

Antagonists are definitely fun to role-play, I agree. Nod

Well, I hope that you find what you're looking for here and enjoy it!

Last edited by Fate Foretold on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyche Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for all the welcoming. I definitely appreciate it! Although I would like very much to pop a squat and write my fingers off today, I think it would be best if I let the campus occupy my time. I'm terrible at meeting new people, so it may be best that I throw myself out there.
Psyche
Psyche
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:20 am

That sounds best. :] Good luck!!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:34 am

I'm actually of the opinion that 1st person is best suited to role-play. If 1st person has to exist in the first place, role-playing seems like the best place for it. Not that I'm advocating 1st person! Laughing Probably the best first-person book I've read is the Bridge of D'arnath series by Trudi Canavan. There are advantages to first person, if the author can pull it off well, but I think third person gives you a lot more options.

Anyways, you're not welcome. .... Psych!! xD
Laughing Welcome to the FOG, Psyche!! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:43 am

Wow, you can tell I just woke up. I made no sense in my welcome. xD Had to edit that.

I think it can be really interesting to get into the minds more of your characters, and that can especially be enjoyable for the role-player, but the bad part of 1st person is that you only can say what your character knows. Rather than having an all-knowing narrator, you can only rely on the knowledge of your character.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Avalon Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 pm

I just remembered, I can do some antagonistic characters, depending on the rp. I've even made one where I play as Lucifer. It's called 'Damnation', and comes in two seasons; Evil Awakens and The Celestial War. If you want, I can bring it here.
Avalon
Avalon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Psyche wrote:Top of the evening to everyone. I'm pretty new here, just a few days old and a little late on my introduction. I've just settled into my college dormitory and am fairly overwhelmed by it all. Hopefully I'll have ample time to write and role-play, though I don't expect I will... At least, not any time soon.

You'd be surprised. You can party/entertain yourself, get good grades and sleep. Pick two out of three.

That's college. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome to FoG, Psyche!

Aww. That's too bad that you loathe the first person perspective. I don't use it myself for role playing, but I do enjoy some books written in that point of view so long as they're written well. However, I do hate it when one person decides to write in first person when everyone else is writing in third person. It makes me feel like they're trying to steal the show away from all the other players. Third person better enables everyone to be important in a game.

If you like scarred baddies, you may like Avatar: The Last Airbender. There are plenty of emotionally scarred villains and some have mental disorders. ^^_^^

I hope you enjoy yourself here. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:37 am

This your action news reporter Dio on the scene. It appears that we have a stranger on these boards, and it is this reporters sole mission to reveal the secrets behind this person. We now go live to Ragter who has reportedly tracked down this new commer for a personal interview.

Ragter, can you tell us the situation?

---

Thanks Charles, We're here down at the fashion cook off where the participants are trying their hands at sock tar tar, and sweater minestrone. I must admit I'm working up quite an appetite myself. If we look to my left we see the hand picked ingredients of fine silk and wool----

---

It appears we are having some technical difficulties as Ragter is covering the wrong story. So I pose the question to you, our viewers. Who is this Psyche? What is their purpose, it is just to roleplay, or something more insidious. If any of the viewers have hot tips on this person, call our local crime lab at 555-CRIME. This is Diodri, signing off, and remember...

Welcome to the boards.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:40 am

That phone number doesn't even work as a fake one because CRIME has five letters, not four. :: shakes head ::

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 am

I NO!

I WUZ!

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZ!

14! AHAHAHAHAHAHA! (Another reference for points!)
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:43 am

Meanwhile, with Ragter..

----That are really quite intuitive. I say, look at the fine workmanship on that silk! If I knew what the heck silk was for, I'd probably get some myself! Oh, and just look at that quilt! It's absolutely fantastic, especially as a dress. I may be a male, but god, sometimes you just have to appreciate the little things, you know Charles?...Charles, are you still there?
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down