FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should mail delivery be cut to five days a week?

+4
Fate Flyer
Mydnyte Syn
Lara
[Soma]
8 posters

Go down

Should mail delivery  be cut to five days a week? Empty Should mail delivery be cut to five days a week?

Post by [Soma] Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:08 am

Federal Law has mandated the six-day mail since 1983, but U.S Postal Service asked Congress earlier this year to approve a reduction in service to five days. The move is part of the Postal Service's broader plan to address its massive deficit. Supporters say that cutting one day of delivery is necessary because the Postal Service no longer receives enough first-class mail to support the cost of six-day mail delivery. People keep in touch and do more of their business online these days, and advertising mail doesn't generate enough revenue to compensate. Critics argue that eliminating a day of delivery would increase the cost of doing business and delay customer service. People would have to wait longer for needed items,including checks,to arrive and would have to pay for higher-priced courier service when they have urgent items to send.

What do you think about this?
[Soma]
[Soma]
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Should mail delivery  be cut to five days a week? Empty Re: Should mail delivery be cut to five days a week?

Post by Lara Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 am

I don't really see a problem with cutting mail delivery down to five days. Frankly, I never get anything good in the mail anyway, so whatever I actually do get that's worthwhile can wait an extra day. >.>

I guess I understand the issue behind 'customer service' and all, but if it's a five day thing, then the customer's still waiting 2-3 business days for their stuff, since if the mail doesn't deliver it probably isn't (or could be considered not to be) a business day. Not only that, but if it became a mandated law that the mail won't deliver, the shipping policies would change anyway.

If the law changed, then surrounding policies would change to compensate, and thus agree with, said new law. I kinda feel like I have no idea what I'm talking about because of what time it is.

Plus, packages could still be delivered, even if the mail doesn't come. I'm sure UPS does enough business on Saturdays to be able to stick to a six-day system.

And 'sides, if your mail's that urgent, just don't send it out over the weekend. :p
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Should mail delivery  be cut to five days a week? Empty Re: Should mail delivery be cut to five days a week?

Post by [Soma] Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:30 am

I could live with out delivery on Saturday,but would like to keep the post office open on Saturday.

Nothing but junk on the weekend any ways, but I have had to run to the Post Office on a Saturday before to send a package across the United States a few times.
[Soma]
[Soma]
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mydnyte Syn Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:42 am

Anything that might possibly reduce the amount of "spam" (read crap) mail I get receives a thumbs up for me.
Mydnyte Syn
Mydnyte Syn
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.crimsonsprite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:41 am

Bah, I would vote (if we had a poll for this one XD) to keep it at 6 days.

While one could say that mail is sent online more often these days, you can also say that people shop online now more than ever. People don't even need to leave their house to buy anything from odds and ends, to clothing, to even groceries. It would really suck if mail then couldn't be delivered on a Saturday. At least, that is my opinion.

I buy online frequently, and some of the stuff I buy (most specifically for our rats) cannot even be purchased in stores (such as their hand-made hammocks and things that other rat owners make themselves - from Goosemoose - or their Harlen Teklad lab blocks food).

Also, you would have to take even more into account when to mail out your bills, since you'd have to send them a bit earlier, to account for the days it won't be on its way to its destination. So, that's just something else to worry about.

So, while it's not life-altering, I could see where getting mail 5 days a week would be annoying.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 pm

I don't even use mail that much, except when I'm getting packages. If people like FedEx and UPS handle the packages, and THEY don't cut to 5 days, then it's totally cool with me. ^^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:59 pm

I would think a compromise would be best. Limit services on Saturday and have full services on the other five days.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:03 pm

I dunno, I think reducing the mail delivery to 5 days a week will provide an opening for FedEx and UPS to step in and take a stronger hold over the mail/package delivery department. The result of which could further harm the US Postal Service's revenue in the long run.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 pm

It was weird, I thought they had gone through with this because suddenly my mail person stopped picking up my mail on Saturdays! It's a real pain in the butt to tell you the truth! I really think it would be an annouance if they cut it back to 5 days. Plus, then it would take an extra day to get my packages and I always anticipate them. So, I really hope they don't cut it back.
LunarScorpio
LunarScorpio
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://felsphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down