FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genesis Conflict

2 posters

Go down

Genesis Conflict Empty Genesis Conflict

Post by Buzzwulf Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:11 am

Welcome to Genesis Conflict. This, recruit, is the war to end all wars. It makes Greener Pastures look like nothing. Just a blip. This has engulfed the entire arm of the galaxy in its grasp, and it will tear it apart if we’re not careful. Let me just clue you in on some of the info behind this monstrosity.

The concept is simple: if you’ve ever watched Battlestar Galactica, you’re familiar with it. The entire world of genesis conflict is based on three major tenants: exploration, interdepartmental politics, and space battles.

That’s right. I just said space battles.

That’s the major difference here: I don’t want this to be like Battlestar Galactica, not in the slightest. That show got caught up in soap opera and religion, and even those of us who watched it constantly will freely admit that. Genesis Conflict is purely to solve my need for an actual sci-fi war, not some pathetic fighting retreat. And if I just manage to pull some of you people with me, that’s all the better for me.

However, while the concept is easy (pew pew spaceships and commanders), the execution itself is not so simple. For my own reasons, I’ve supplied both sides of the conflict with ample weapons, and I’ve made them distinctly different, so that playing a character on either side actually feel s like it should. Additionally, I tried to allow for both a sense of gritty realism and the occasional “OMG that shouldn’t be possible” moment. Essentially, technology has progressed to the point where it begins to just look like magic to the uninformed. Yes, psychics exist, but there is a very real system of checks and balances put upon them. Yes, the “aliens” are massively physically superior, but players of that side will find themselves still outmatched by even the simplest powered armor.

Which brings me to actual details. I’m sure that you all need to know about some background before I even attempt to get anything underway, so I’ll feed you a little. Basically, Genesis conflict is my vision for humanity’s future. In this future, several things become not only possibilities, but actual necessities. Average life expectancy is raised from our time to almost 110 years. Some live to be up to 150, thanks to the miracles of gene therapy. However, that’s a double-edged sword: it’s also used to make people better, faster, and stronger. And sometimes, different in even more bizarre ways. In many ways, that’s the point of this entire RP: How far can you change somebody and still have them be human? As it turns out in the world of Genesis Conflict, the answer is not very far at all. Human beings are their own worst enemies, and they’ve come a long way since the days of vying for new territory on our good old Earth. Now they have four worlds to fight over: Terra, Aegis, Gaia, and good old mother Earth. And war they did, up until Greener Pastures. Then, not so much.

In the War of Greener Pastures, the governmental regency of Terra pulled out all the stops, and the systems went to true war. Continents were razed, cities seared off of planets, flagships snapped in barrages of ballistics fire, and more importantly, the Mixed Corp came into being. As the elite troops of Terra, they were devastatingly effective, due to the massive amount of illegal gene therapy that went into each individual soldier. By the end of the war, even the Terran government had denounced them as “brigands of the worst kind” and cut all ties. The Mixed Corp, however, were not content to sit and wait to be hunted down. They stole a genesis ship and ran away, creating their own homeworld of Forge, and have raided human settlements and colonies ever since.

None of this would have been possible but for the mass production of certain technologies. Teleportation made travel quick, cheap, and errorless, and nanotech made production of just about anything at a moment’s notice not only viable, but the norm. Massive tracts of space previously uncrossable were made accessible by instantaneous transportation, or quantum tunneling. Genesis ships seeded hundreds of colonies, but only four became homeworlds: The Four Earths. Nanotech and nanolathe made repair and replacement easy, even in the depths of space, and the new internal convection engines helped when teleportation couldn’t, moving massive freighters and equally massive frigates at relativistic speeds.

But this is all in the past. These days, the newly created Earths Council has pledged protection of human settlements, no matter how insignificant. The Mixed Corp vessels haven’t been seen in three years, and life is finally beginning to return to normal after Greener Pastures. The EC megacorp has been running smoothly for some time, and the provisional governments of Terra and Earth have finally come to a consensus, and put their differences behind them. For the first time in millennia, the Four Earths are unified.

But the Mixed Corp are finally coming back, and they're doing it in force.

It’s the perfect stage for the War to end all Wars. You’d better sign up while there’s something to sign up for.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Genesis Conflict Empty Re: Genesis Conflict

Post by Guest Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:16 am

Okay, I'm game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 am

Seems extremely interesting. I personally prefer the sci-fi where there's still limitations in technology (like the Alien series, in which they still use rifles with limited ammo) but if everyone's got this technology then the death rate would be immense. I like it.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 am

alright, so I think I've given this more than enough time to sit in the sea of creative juices, and I've got something cooked up here. Yes, there's a plot. What RP doesn't have one? However, something I'd like to emphasize as a big part of this RP is that I really can't do everything. I'm not just talking about multiple worlds here, I'm talking about two empires that span part of a galaxy. That means settlements in the most inhospitable of locations, border outposts, and mining areas. Oh, and probably drydocks. Those too.

Basically, what I mean is that while I'm giving you the framework, it will make all of our lives much easier if the players themselves create and keep track of some of the locations. Where their characters are from, where they're going, what they're going to do once they get there. And don't worry, I'll make sure that there's plenty to do. Basically, I'd just like to have a few more people before I go off and lay something unnecessarily large down.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down